PDA

View Full Version : Drivers who you wished had the chance of a second year in the BTCC

Ed
13th April 2007, 10:59
Basically as the title says, driver you would have liked to have seen for a second year in the BTCC

- Shaun Watson-Smith, the fans reaction to him especially at both brabds roubnd in 2004 was so good, he did wonders with that Proton and I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with a competitive car

- Jean Chris Boullion- although 1999 was a bad year for him, he did on times match Plato in Quali and the odd time out qualified him, however at the same time he did end up getting mixed up in the race melee didnt he. But I would have liked to see JCB have another go

CharlieJ
13th April 2007, 11:06
I'd love to see Shaun Watson-Smith back... I don't think I've ever seen anyone wring so much out of a basically useless car! :eek:

tin-top fan
13th April 2007, 11:18
I have to say it would have been interesting to see how Pickford would have gone with a years BTCC experience. Not really sure we saw the best of him in 2005.
Also- would have been great to see Eaves having a 2nd year in the integra....could really given Matt a good fight

CharlieJ
13th April 2007, 11:27
Also- would have been great to see Eaves having a 2nd year in the integra....could really given Matt a good fight
Which is part of the reason he didn't get a second year ;) .

Captain VXR
13th April 2007, 11:55
Colin Gallie

CroftPilgrim
13th April 2007, 12:19
Aaron Slight.

I enjoyed watching him in the 2002 season. He often struggled with the mid pack melees and got punted off a few times, but to watch him drive and work his way back was awesome! A more committed driver I have yet to see and he so nearly got the independants crown....

Neil Adams
13th April 2007, 12:53
stefan hodgetts, as quick as huff maybe quicker
really deserves another chance

ADnet
13th April 2007, 15:00
I'd have to say Stefan Hodgetts, Shaun Watson-Smith & Andy Priaulx ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
13th April 2007, 15:11
I'd love to see Shaun Watson-Smith back... I don't think I've ever seen anyone wring so much out of a basically useless car! :eek:

Well David Leslie did manage podiums in the 2002 Proton, although they were handed to him and he never used to race among the front runners like Shaun did. It might of been more interesting to see how well Watson-Smith did against a 1/2 deccent team-mate.

I would like to see how well Richard Williams would do in a good car, because he is very competitive in other race series since 2005. I would love to know were he would be compared with Stockton in the Lexus, as that car is far faster than it was 2 years ago.

Also, Laurent Aiello and Tom Kristensen :up:

The mad monk
13th April 2007, 15:59
To those of you supporting Stefan,I say thank you .
There is an interim plan in place which was resolved today,however this is in Clio's at present,just to get him back out there,however from little acorns.....
thanks folks.

racer69
13th April 2007, 17:36
Laurent Aiello
Jamie Wall
Roberto Ravaglia (although he did some 1994 races, his only full campaign was 1996)

touringlegend
13th April 2007, 17:41
Of the recent years Shaun Watson-Smith didn't get a right crack of the whip. I would love to see him out there in a front running Leon, Civic, Vectra or 320.

Dickie L'Amour
13th April 2007, 17:55
SWS definitely and Daniel Buxton. Only came in half way through 2003 and was a second a lap faster than team-mate Eaves in the final round around the Donington short track. Awesome.

reidy_fan
13th April 2007, 21:27
another vote for Hodgetts jnr here, will be good to see him in clios if nothing else

Caroline
14th April 2007, 11:01
I agree with everyone who said Shaun Watson - Smith. He was just fantastic to watch.

BTCC2
14th April 2007, 11:04
Colin Gallie

Excellent Choice!!!

LotusElise
14th April 2007, 21:19
Alan Morrison - I seem to remember he was pretty competitive in the Honda.
What happened to him, anyway?

Allyc85
14th April 2007, 23:25
Shaun Watson Smith, he did wonders!

BTCC2
15th April 2007, 08:36
Alan Morrison - I seem to remember he was pretty competitive in the Honda.
What happened to him, anyway?

He raced in the BTCC for 3 years though. Although as you say he was quick in the Honda and should have had a chance to make it 4 years.

He no longer races as he concentrates on his business in N. Ireland. I believe.

SEATFreak
15th April 2007, 09:04
What about Kelvin Burt? Was he any good for GA in 2004? To me looking for the talent in a driver is like looking for a pin (never mind a needle) in a haystack.

I know he has "plans" on getting out later with Martyn Bell in another team allaboutproperty.com BMW but it is far from certain.

Iain
15th April 2007, 14:01
You don't know if he has any talent? That'll be Kelvin Burt the 1993 British F3 Champion, 2001 British GT2/GTO/N-GT (whatever the heck they called it) Champion, ex-Jordan F1 test driver and works BTCC driver for BMW, Ford and Volvo then........

SEATFreak
15th April 2007, 14:53
You don't know if he has any talent? That'll be Kelvin Burt the 1993 British F3 Champion, 2001 British GT2/GTO/N-GT (whatever the heck they called it) Champion, ex-Jordan F1 test driver and works BTCC driver for BMW, Ford and Volvo then........

Of course! Now I remember the days when he raced for BMW, Ford and Volvo in the BTCC....yet I only started following the series in 2001! :laugh:

Sometimes I amaze myself.

Iain
15th April 2007, 15:04
Maybe you should put "Follower of the BTCC: 2001-present" in your signature then. Then we wouldn't make reference to anything prior to that incase you didn't know anything about it. :dozey:

SEATFreak
15th April 2007, 15:59
That's better. Not that it helps the problem of me being a total intellectual recluse.

Now where were we. Ah, yes. Drivers we would like to have seen do a second year. Shaun Watson Smith seems a very popular choice. I am agreeing because that seems the popular opinion....but why? What was it about his racing that made him so good everyone whishes he could have done a second year?

Alfa Fan
15th April 2007, 17:24
Why don't you buy the VHS reviews from 1991-2000 and find out about the series' past. And if you don't know anything about it, don't comment!

Funks
15th April 2007, 17:29
Of course! Now I remember the days when he raced for BMW, Ford and Volvo in the BTCC....yet I only started following the series in 2001! :laugh:

Sometimes I amaze myself.

You probably heard it mentioned in commentary on a 2004 TV broadcast. I'm sure you'll have the statistics to hand that will tell you how Kelvin did in the few appearances he made in 2004.

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 09:24
I'm sure you'll have the statistics to hand that will tell you how Kelvin did in the few appearances he made in 2004.

I have the top three from every race but not the table that tells me who came where everywhere else. That is something I introduced via MS Excel last season. :D

Anyway, surely another driver we most would like to have seen do a second season is Paul O'Neill when he raced for VXR. His diabetes robbed us of a much rated talent who was with a great team. I believe a second season with VXR could have produced something good.

CharlieJ
16th April 2007, 09:32
Now where were we. Ah, yes. Drivers we would like to have seen do a second year. Shaun Watson Smith seems a very popular choice. I am agreeing because that seems the popular opinion....but why? What was it about his racing that made him so good everyone whishes he could have done a second year?
He came over from South Africa to drive one of the Protons. Unfamiliar circuits, unfamiliar series, crap car (and I do mean really rubbish) and drove the wheels off it, mixing it with much better machinery. He just always gave it 120% and never, ever gave up without a fight. ;)

CharlieJ
16th April 2007, 09:35
Anyway, surely another driver we most would like to have seen do a second season is Paul O'Neill when he raced for VXR. His diabetes robbed us of a much rated talent who was with a great team. I believe a second season with VXR could have produced something good.
Yes... he showed a lot of potential. And he's a really nice guy.

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 10:52
He came over from South Africa to drive one of the Protons. Unfamiliar circuits, unfamiliar series, crap car (and I do mean really rubbish) and drove the wheels off it, mixing it with much better machinery. He just always gave it 120% and never, ever gave up without a fight. ;)

http://www.btccpages.com/points2004.php

Looking at the points for 2004 he certainly was a consistent points scorer. Their is a big drying up of points between Rounds 7 and 11 and from Round 25 to the end but I see races where he was getting 4pts and 3pts. And no doubt he got fast laps too? Compare that to Mr Hairyman who never scored a single point.

Alfa Fan
16th April 2007, 12:23
Points don't tell you anything.

JSMs Alfa 147 got on the podium at Oulton & nearly won at Donington, yet, its probabily the least competitive car ever entered in the modern era.

Iain
16th April 2007, 12:54

VXR was his 2nd season (in the top class)! Surely your spreadsheet tells you he got a win and podiums in his 2002 campaign..........

I'd like to see the Mad Monk's boy get another chance, he did well in that Alfa. :)

And never mind another season, I'd like to have seen Gavin Pyper get another half season to add to the one he did in 2003. Definitely would have beaten Rob Collard to the Indie title had his money not dried up. :(

ATF
16th April 2007, 14:00
True, Gavin Pyper was a top BTCC star of the future, he had the talent for sure.

I agree with many of the above posts - Aiello, Kristensen, Priaulx and Huff are all obvious choices.

I would have also liked to see Vincent Radermecker follow up some of his impressive performances in 1999 with another season in a competitive car, instead of being #3 at Vauxhall!

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 16:35
VXR was his 2nd season (in the top class)!

In the top class, yes. But where does it say we are talking exclusively about a second year in a CLASS? Were does it say we cannot also talk about a second season with a TEAM? Did he or did he not only run one season with VXR?

AndySpeed
16th April 2007, 16:46
Shaun Watson-Smith

SEATFreak
16th April 2007, 17:56
True, Gavin Pyper was a top BTCC star of the future, he had the talent for sure.

I agree with many of the above posts - Aiello, Kristensen, Priaulx and Huff are all obvious choices.

Whether we are talking about two years in a class or in a team, I have heard great things in past posts about all those guys and others mentioned and all would vastly improve the quality of the racing in the series today if given a second shot.

But I think of those mentioned only Gavin would ever go near to the BTCC every time. They are all wonderful choices. Especially Kristiensen and Priaulx. But I think if push came to shove, in a real situation, I think Tom and Andy especially would rather fight for their places than return to the BTCC.

racer69
17th April 2007, 04:45
Were does it say we cannot also talk about a second season with a TEAM? Did he or did he not only run one season with VXR?

He was with the same team though.

Triple 8 ran the Egg Vauxhall's as well as the works cars.

Jamie Brown
17th April 2007, 08:45
alan morrison, shaun watson smith and daniel buxton

SEATFreak
17th April 2007, 08:46
I don't want to get into a different debate but I was led to believe that was where the similarity pretty much surely began and ended - the support from 888. Was the pitcrew that worked on the Vauxhall Motorsport Astras working simoultaneously on the Egg Astras? Was Egg racing for points for Vauxhall Motorsport or for Egg?

If Egg:Sport were extactly the same on every level as Vauxhall Motorsport why didn't Egg run with the same livery as Vauxhall Motorsport? Because of the sponsorship. That was the difference. Egg:Sport was sponsored by a company (Do I have to make clear what company or do you know?) and according to the info in the link was charity based so I am assuming something on the lines that any money earned through racing went to charity.

http://www.btccpages.com/teams/eggsport.php

Ian McC
17th April 2007, 09:02
Would love to see Tom Kristensen back! :D

Pilfp
17th April 2007, 09:50
Shaun Watson-Smith
Kelvin Burt
Gavin Pyper
Dan Eaves

Brown, Jon Brow
17th April 2007, 10:20
Eaves had 4 years in te btcc, and he should still be there

CharlieJ
17th April 2007, 11:07
Of course, if we're expanding this to include drivers who've had more than one year in BTCC, the one I'd really like to see back is........
Anthony Reid !!! :D

SEATFreak
17th April 2007, 12:06
Of course, if we're expanding this to include drivers who've had more than one year in BTCC, the one I'd really like to see back is........
Anthony Reid !!! :D

What about Warren Hughes?

I was scared to mention him incase he wasn't very good. The fact he got x amount of podiums in a season only tells me a tiny part of the season. I need to know also how well he performed, how many times he was a points scorer or how many times he clocked fast laps or achieved pole position. I am sure he did have good races but he didn't strike me as Dan Eaves or Anthony Reid consistent that is for sure. But that is my opinion. Not based on what happened.

CharlieJ
17th April 2007, 12:26

I was scared to mention him incase he wasn't very good. The fact he got x amount of podiums in a season only tells me a tiny part of the season. I need to know also how well he performed, how many times he was a points scorer or how many times he clocked fast laps or achieved pole position. I am sure he did have good races but he didn't strike me as Dan Eaves or Anthony Reid consistent that is for sure. But that is my opinion. Not based on what happened.
He did well for his first (and last) season in touring cars. Showed a lot of potential, but ended up in GTs, where he's doing very nicely. www.warrenhughes.co.uk/ (http://www.warrenhughes.co.uk/)

Brown, Jon Brow
17th April 2007, 14:18
He git 2 wins in 2002 (I think) and another in 2003

Northern Monkey
17th April 2007, 14:25

I was scared to mention him incase he wasn't very good.

The same Warren Hughes who won his class at Le Mans a few years ago?

It doesn't take a lot of checking online to find stuff out so you know whether someone is any good or not, and Warren certainly is a good driver.

Ed
17th April 2007, 17:41
I tell who Id like to see back in the BTCC although he has already had two season Vincent Redamacker. I think he improved alot when he was at Vauxhall but he had the play third fidle to plato and Muller, when Plato was playing second fidle to Muller.

another good choice would be Aiello aswell.

SEATFreak
18th April 2007, 08:48
It doesn't take a lot of checking online to find stuff out so you know whether someone is any good or not, and Warren certainly is a good driver.

But even though you are on your own you tend to feel dead embarassed having to check stuff out online when you don't have the info to hand or is safely filed away in the brain which is the more prefered ways these days. It is a strange feeling you have never experienced. You can call up any stuff from your brain first time everytime.

Hughes won Round 15 at Brands Hatch in 2003 Brown, Jon Brown and I see from the archive on btccpages.com his 2002 win was in Rond 7 at Thruxton. In fact I see it was a good day for MG. Reidy set the pace in the first Free Practice, both were in the top 3 in the Second and Reid was on pole for the Feature Race which he came second in. Shame MG couldn't have kept that form up.

100%hondafan
18th April 2007, 11:52
i thaught you were a btcc follower from 2001 so shouldnt you no about warren hughes ?

i think simon harrison should of been given another year in the touring cars.

SEATFreak
18th April 2007, 13:34
i thaught you were a btcc follower from 2001 so shouldnt you no about warren hughes ?.

To what degree?

i think simon harrison should of been given another year in the touring cars.

Totally agree. Look at Mat Jackson. In the same class in the same year. Now after a time away he is back running a very competitive car from a very good team. That is not to say Simon would have achieved the same thing as Mat. But MJ shows what can be achieved with time.

murrayfan
18th April 2007, 15:28
Ian Curley
Richard Williams
Carl Breeze

All Good Driver's But Let Down By There Car's

ATF
18th April 2007, 16:10
I see from the archive on btccpages.com his 2002 win was in Rond 7 at Thruxton.

No it wasn't, it was at Silverstone.

SEATFreak
18th April 2007, 16:50
No it wasn't, it was at Silverstone.

It was Round 7 though. If given a choice between getting the circuit wrong or the round wrong I rekon I would choose the circuit because I think the Round needs to be more correct than the circuit.

In any case it wasn't the only win. Round 18 (Feature Race) at Brands Hatch. Coming in ahead of Alan Morrison and Tim Harvey. If fact that was probably his most succesfull of the two. I see from the link he got 17pts but only 15pts for the Silverstone win. He qualified on Pole for the Feature so that was an extra point on top of the 15 for a win (it is today anyhow). And I am assuming he must have clocked a fast lap or led from start to finish to get the one extra that put him up to 17.

http://www.btccpages.com/points2002.php

That is why he is one I would partcularly like to see back.

Alfa Fan
19th April 2007, 11:49
Apparantly the BTCC Vauxhall Vectra will be available as a 1:43 model by mid-season.

SEATFreak
19th April 2007, 13:20
:confused:

LotusElise
20th April 2007, 16:45
What happened to Gavin Pyper? I never did hear.

Ed
20th April 2007, 16:59
dont think he can raise a budget. He did make a one off appearnce for GA at the end 0f 2004 but I remember he saying that the team were struggling to set up the astra due to the amount of drivers they had changing the car during the season