PDA

View Full Version : BTCC Rd 1-3 - Brands Hatch

steveaki13
26th March 2014, 15:57
Hope no one minds but as its the opening weekend coming up I thought I would open a thread for the first meeting of 2014.

So what do y'all more experienced BTCC watchers think is going to happen this weekend.

It seems like it could be a bit chaotic with so many cars in the field this year.

Its also a comparatively short lap as its only the Indy circuit this weekend. I was due to go but due to breaking my foot I cannot make it. I was heading for Druids which is one of my personal favourite places to watch from. There is always so much action.

Is anyone on here going?

Anyway hope its a nice weekend.
Who would you see as favourites this weekend?

BDunnell
26th March 2014, 18:15
Goodness knows. The test at the media day was so disrupted by the weather that it's very hard to assess true pace. I'd be surprised if Jordan and the works Hondas, Plato and Tordoff's MGs, and Turkington's BMW weren't at the front, but with so many cars in the field anything could happen. Finding a clear lap in qualifying will certainly be a challenge.

Donney
26th March 2014, 18:31
I loved it two years ago, especially Druids.

I guess it will be the Hondas the MGs and Turkington at the front. I don't expect the Passat to perform extremely well and maybe the Merc and some of the Audis will be the surprse of the race.

BDunnell
28th March 2014, 14:32
I guess it will be the Hondas the MGs and Turkington at the front. I don't expect the Passat to perform extremely well and maybe the Merc and some of the Audis will be the surprse of the race.

Indeed — the Passats aside, I'll be surprised if the Motorbase Fords are right up at the sharp end. Giovanardi has clearly been managing expectations, saying he, like Menu in the VW, needs more track time. Rob Austin may well be near the front if the car runs reliably.

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 00:10
Qualifying times from today:

http://www.btcc.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BTCC-Classification2.pdf

A very, very close session. Ingram a surprise in sixth, far ahead of the other Toyota drivers, but how's his BTCC racecraft? The BMR VWs better than expected too.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 08:52
Thanks for posting those. I was trying yesterday, but I couldn't find them.

Looking very close and with the major runners all up the sharp end.

As you say it appears Ingram is the most unlikely top 10 qualifier. Good effort. Lets hope the racing today is close too.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 13:47
I had to go out this morning. So I am watching delayed. Just about to watch the first race.

Interesting that they are clamping down hard on off the track driving. Your outside wheel has to stay on the kerb. I wonder how enforceable it is. I mean it seems like a lot of cars could run wide.

Alfa Fan
30th March 2014, 13:55
Depper disqualified. Harsh by usual BTCC standards, but hopefully its the start of a consistent crack-down on driving standards.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 14:50
Silly crash in the Ginetta race. guy starting 4th had a great start and just run someone off the road.

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 15:02
Depper disqualified. Harsh by usual BTCC standards, but hopefully its the start of a consistent crack-down on driving standards.

I'd imagine it was exactly that. Very clean racing so far in general.

The BMWs are looking very strong on the race three grid: Collard on pole, Foster (who drove the most brilliant opening lap of race two) second and Turkington fourth. Turning into a bit of a slog for Menu and Giovanardi so far. Warren Scott did well in that last race; Newsham and Marc Hynes very disappointing so far.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 16:12
Great 2nd race, what a drive by Andrew Jordan. Despite the ballast, he wins the second race lights to flag just like race one.

A nice start to his season. The BMWs look fast. I thought Turkington drove really well to come through his teammates and Matt Neal. I was sure he was going to get Sheddon before the end.

Despite decent positions, I feel the Hondas of Shedden and Neal are not quite on the pace. Cant wait for race 3.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 16:15
I'd imagine it was exactly that. Very clean racing so far in general.

Yes it has been.

What has the standard been like in recent years? I watched for a few years about 10-6 years ago and the level of driving seemed a fair bit lower then. I remember lots of contact between the lead drivers and many crashes.

It seems the drivers have tightened that up a bit. I seem to remember Muller in the Vauxhall when I watched being involved with Plato in the Seat quite often.

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 16:23
What has the standard been like in recent years? I watched for a few years about 10-6 years ago and the level of driving seemed a fair bit lower then. I remember lots of contact between the lead drivers and many crashes.

It seems the drivers have tightened that up a bit. I seem to remember Muller in the Vauxhall when I watched being involved with Plato in the Seat quite often.

The driving standards have improved hugely since the first half of 2011, when there was an awful lot of silliness. Last year was generally very good, with little more than basic racing incidents, and I hope that's continued into 2014.

Looking back a few years, as you say, the amount of contact used to be an embarrassment. 2004, with all the Plato/Muller squabbles, Anthony Reid pulling off some very dubious moves and others getting involved, was a real low point. All of that seems firmly in the past.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 16:35
Ah yes, you have jogged my memory. Anthony Reid always seemed to be involved in moves, which has drivers almost facing up to each other and slagging each other off.

I had forgotten that.

Good to see its moved to a much more sensible and professional motorsport series.

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 16:51
Very definitely a tougher line being taken on incidents this year. Marc Hynes has been excluded from race two for contact with Martin Depper; some other penalties applied, too, notably to Aron Smith and Warren Scott.

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 17:35
A great race three, though I expect Menu — who showed the VW to have real front-running pace — now to be excluded for punting Ingram off; likewise Hynes for again having contact with Depper, and probably Hunter Abbott for spinning out Warren Scott. A very, very close contest right to the end at the front. What a pity Foster crept forward on the grid and thereby ruined his own very promising race. Jackson looked good in the Ford, but Giovanardi showed nothing of note. Plato raced brilliantly — and cleanly — to third.

Alfa Fan
30th March 2014, 17:47
A great race three, though I expect Menu — who showed the VW to have real front-running pace — now to be excluded for punting Ingram off

Ingram clearly moved across on Menu. No action will be taken there.

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 17:50
Ingram clearly moved across on Menu. No action will be taken there.

But Menu wasn't alongside him at all. Based on the Hynes/Depper incident in race two, I'd expect Menu to be disqualified.

Alfa Fan
30th March 2014, 17:55
But Menu wasn't alongside him at all. Based on the Hynes/Depper incident in race two, I'd expect Menu to be disqualified.

Ingram turned himself round on the front of Menu's car. Just before the contact you can see him jink across in front of Menu, leaving the VW nowhere to go other than the grass.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 19:15
Great race three. I had to delay watching it again. Plato surprised me. He came through like the proverbial knife through butter. A great podium.

Again get the feeling the Honda of Neal had average pace, but raced well. Turkington looked superior too.

I saw Menu way down in 18th or something early in race 3 so to drive through as he did was a good effort.

I think it was marginal but I agree that Menu really wasn't alongside enough. He could have lifted a tad and avoided the contact.

steveaki13
30th March 2014, 19:25
So 3 Rounds down

Top 10 in the Championship.

1. Andrew Jordan ---- 47
2. Matt Neal ---------- 45
3. Colin Turkington -- 44
4. Gordon Shedden -- 40
5. Jason Plato -------- 38
6. Rob Collard -------- 33
7. Adam Morgan ----- 18
8. Sam Tordoff ------- 17
9. Nick Foster -------- 16
10. Rob Austin ------- 16

BDunnell
30th March 2014, 23:24
Ingram turned himself round on the front of Menu's car. Just before the contact you can see him jink across in front of Menu, leaving the VW nowhere to go other than the grass.

Having watched it again, you may be right. Mind you, I can't see anything too ham-fisted, let alone deliberate, in the first Hynes/Depper incident.

All of this aside, I hope we're in for the best BTCC season in years. Ingram, Collard and Foster, to name but three, showed that there are plenty of other drivers who should be able to fight with the expected championship contenders at the front.

Donney
31st March 2014, 15:34
Good races!!!!. I think the new Hondas still need a bit of racing to get the best out of them. I gues it will depend on Shedden and Neal for the next few races to keep their championship hopes going.

Equally I think Jordan and Plato will have the upper hand for a while.

Turkington will be a main contender he can really drive that car.

steveaki13
31st March 2014, 22:18
Good races!!!!. I think the new Hondas still need a bit of racing to get the best out of them. I gues it will depend on Shedden and Neal for the next few races to keep their championship hopes going.

Equally I think Jordan and Plato will have the upper hand for a while.

Turkington will be a main contender he can really drive that car.

Seems like that's the case.

Neal and Shedden scored some decent points despite never seeming overly quick.

Langdale Forest
1st April 2014, 23:11

I didn't see race 1 or 2 but why was Hynes DQd if it was a racing incident?

BDunnell
1st April 2014, 23:34
I didn't see race 1 or 2 but why was Hynes DQd if it was a racing incident?

One might well ask. It looked fairly innocuous to me. That said, I am glad to see a tougher line being taken on incidents that ruin someone's race. I just hope there's consistency.

Langdale Forest
2nd April 2014, 07:54
So every time there is contact will this result in drivers being DQd from that race?

BDunnell
13th April 2014, 01:31
So every time there is contact will this result in drivers being DQd from that race?

No, but a harder line is obviously being taken, and not before time. As I said, consistency is key.

I'm just glad that this is a side issue so far in the 2014 BTCC.