PDA

View Full Version : Low nose safety

Brown, Jon Brow
17th March 2014, 20:32
Adrian Newey said before the start of the season that the new low noses could be dangerous. It was claimed that a car could be launched when it was rear-ended and potentially increase the chances of a cockpit intrusive impact.

Look at how the rear of the Williams was lifted into the air when it was struck.
http://sports.ndtv.com/images/stories/massa-crash-640.jpg

And this was at fairly low speed.

donKey jote
17th March 2014, 20:45
retrofit them with (red) bullbars... job done :andrea:

steveaki13
17th March 2014, 22:11
I can see the point.

Think about Massa and the risk of being flipped when the car behind scoops it up and then potentially over as it hits the ground. Also Kobayshi, if he had been going faster the Williams may have ridden up his nose and into the Caterhams cockpit. The real danger is that a Car will slide almost completely underneath another car.

That all said. We have had low noses before. The early 2000s had some low noses too I seem to remember.

AndyL
18th March 2014, 10:05
We also know that the high noses were dangerous, Mark Webber knows all about that.

Johnny Herbert suggested they should be looking at the back of the car - a lower crash structure could reduce the likelihood of this sort of thing.

steveaki13
18th March 2014, 13:14
True. Ultimately I think any nose could be dangerous. I mean you could never remove all danger in these incidents.

Mark
18th March 2014, 13:54
Remember that prior to about 1995, all the cars had low noses.

Doc Austin
18th March 2014, 16:27
No matter what you do to improve safety in one area, it always seems to compromise something else.

A good solution would be to mandate dimensions for the nose, including a minimum/maximum height, and then the same for the rear. Make the two heights different so nose I always slightly higher than the rear. Even that is not going to guarantee cars can't go over/under, but it should help.

If nothing else, there needs to be some sort of rules adjustment (for next year) to get rid of the ugly, uhhhhmm....... protrusions sticking out the noses. The McLaren is probably the best looking car on the grid, but it still has an ugly, uhhhhhmmmm........ protrusion hanging off the front.

The Sauber seem to have the best solution to making the nose a bit less attractive and......... uhhhhmmmm..... suggestive, but it doesn't seem to help it go very fast.

Doc Austin

Doc Austin

Doc Austin
Sorry. It wouldn't allow me to post and now it shows up three times!

Doc Austin
Sorry. It wouldn't allow me to post and now it shows up three times!

steveaki13
18th March 2014, 16:50
Wow Triple Post then double post.

Nice work Doc. :p :devil: :devil: :devil:

Doc Austin
18th March 2014, 16:54
Apparently there is only one thing I can do right..........................

https://vimeo.com/85896123

call_me_andrew
19th March 2014, 03:49
It would have been a smarter move to ensure the nose lines up with the rear crash structure.

There's only one way to keep cars on the ground during collisions: surround the wheels (front and back) with bodywork.

Mia 01
19th March 2014, 05:57
Better the nose goes under the car than into the driver.

Thats the purpose.

minardi
19th March 2014, 07:05
Better the nose goes under the car than into the driver.

Thats the purpose.

Not if the car continues underneath, and the car in front goes into the driver.

big_sw2000
19th March 2014, 11:58
How do all other single seaters manage. Most forms use a low nose.

Steve

Mia 01
19th March 2014, 14:56
There was a rule change for this year and one of the main reasons for the low noses is because of care of the drivers.

call_me_andrew
22nd March 2014, 03:51
How do all other single seaters manage. Most forms use a low nose.

Steve

The only single seat cars using a low nose are IndyCar, and that's because they race on ovals. Furthermore, Formula One is the last single seat series that hasn't become a spec series... yet.

big_sw2000
24th March 2014, 09:27
The only single seat cars using a low nose are IndyCar, and that's because they race on ovals. Furthermore, Formula One is the last single seat series that hasn't become a spec series... yet.

Formula 2. World series by Renault.
I wouldn't exactly call a GP2 car, high nose either. Although, its not as low as F1, maybe a good compromise. Certainly notan ugly look

Steve

anfield5
24th March 2014, 23:55
At the end of the day low nose or high nose or something else. In a nose to tail impact, both have positive features and both can cause problems.

I did a silly experiment. I made two lego cars that were no more than a square block on wheels, we filmed them creashuing into each other basically flat surface to flat surface, in most if not all occasions one or both leapt into the air. To me this was a good illustration of the fact that no matter what you do - in a front to rear impact, one or both cars can be lifted off the ground in some way and no matter what you do this can't be completely mitigated against.

steveaki13
25th March 2014, 12:55
At the end of the day low nose or high nose or something else. In a nose to tail impact, both have positive features and both can cause problems.

I did a silly experiment. I made two lego cars that were no more than a square block on wheels, we filmed them creashuing into each other basically flat surface to flat surface, in most if not all occasions one or both leapt into the air. To me this was a good illustration of the fact that no matter what you do - in a front to rear impact, one or both cars can be lifted off the ground in some way and no matter what you do this can't be completely mitigated against.

That's where F1's aero centres are going wrong. They should abandon wind tunnels and Computers and use Lego... ;)

Good point though. I think whatever is done, crashes will always be dangerous.

anfield5
26th March 2014, 00:47
The other thing to consider is this. Most front to rear impacts have a degree of wheel-on-wheel action. i.e. the front wheel of the following car hits the rear whell of the leading car. This is why the following car is often launched into space. This isn't going to change based on if the noses are high or low. The only way to do this is to have wheel giards a-la IRL (please no!!) or go back to Tyrrell-style bluff noses.