PDA

View Full Version : Kamui/Doneky of the Race - Oz

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 08:32
Time to select a Kamui.......oh sorry a Donkey of the Race

N4D13
16th March 2014, 08:38
Kobayashi, of course. Also whoever was responsible for sabotaging Webbo's car last season - he picked the wrong car this time. :p

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 08:53
Kobayashi - Stupid approach to first corner and wiped out Massa. Poor driving so early in the season.
Lotus - For the whole weekend. Slow and unreliable although in truth did well to get both cars over 30 laps.

Me- For believing we would actually have a crazy race with 6 cars finishing. You win rjbetty. :( :mad:

henners88
16th March 2014, 09:03
The engines for sounding like a mid size road car and removing the sense of power. I didn't watch any testing so hadn't realised they were this bad. Good racing though and glad to see a podium without Vettel for once. Go Dan :)

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 09:05
glad to see a podium without Vettel for once

Vettel Hater, :angryfire :devil: :kiss: ;) :p

Storm
16th March 2014, 09:36
extremely glad to see a Vetteless podium too ;)

but donkey of the race?
bloody 1.6L V6

TheFamousEccles
16th March 2014, 09:40
Koba it has to be. Rookie mistake and he surely should never have made it, I hope he gets a good arse kicking.

Honourable metion to Lotus for being shite for the entire weekend.

donKey jote
16th March 2014, 09:41
apparently Koba had no rear brakes after a Kers fail :dozey:

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 09:44
I heard that too. Maybe Kamui deserves an apology.

TheFamousEccles
16th March 2014, 09:45
apparently Koba had no rear brakes after a Kers fail :dozey:

If this is so then maybe hold the arse kicking :stareup:

tjoepie
16th March 2014, 10:17
The engines for sounding like a mid size road car and removing the sense of power.

Um you do know what you were hearing is wasted energy that should be going to propelling the cars forward. Silent engines are engineering progress. I'm sure last years engines didn't sound the same as the ones in 1960. Things change.

henners88
16th March 2014, 10:30
I wasn't comparing it to 1960 and am well aware of the technology used this season. Um.

minardi
16th March 2014, 10:34
I was going to post Kobayashi as my one and only donkey, but it's been confirmed he had a failure, so he's excused from my nomination.

So instead of going for obvious next choice of Lotus, I'm going for Sauber. They have seemingly a reliable car in comparison to Lotus, but just no sign of any pace.

Robinho
16th March 2014, 10:39
Those power units are incredible. Getting round at that very decent pace (with less grip) on 1/3 less fuel than last year. To me thats a very worthwhile engineering exercise and is deeply impressive. Not worried that the sky is falling because they aren't noisy enough.

tjoepie
16th March 2014, 10:40
The point of formula 1 cars is to go around a track not make a noise. Deliberately making a car waste energy making a noise is stupid and fans who think that's at all important are equally stupid.

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 11:04
Those power units are incredible. Getting round at that very decent pace (with less grip) on 1/3 less fuel than last year. To me thats a very worthwhile engineering exercise and is deeply impressive. Not worried that the sky is falling because they aren't noisy enough.

Spot on.

henners88
16th March 2014, 11:06
The point of formula 1 cars is to go around a track not make a noise. Deliberately making a car waste energy making a noise is stupid and fans who think that's at all important are equally stupid.
Take your insults elsewhere mate, I'm entitled to my opinion and don't have to prove my intelligence level to you. You like the engines then great, I'm not liking the sound so respect my opinion also.

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 11:08

No need for that. I agree with your point about engines, but don't condone your blanket statement about others points of view. :down:

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 11:09
Take your insults elsewhere mate, I'm entitled to my opinion and don't have to prove my intelligence level to you. You like the engines then great, I'm not liking the sound so respect my opinion also.

Yes exactly. :)

henners88
16th March 2014, 11:12
Cheers Steve, you disagree with my point of view on this but are respectful and I appreciate that. :)

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 11:16
Cheers Steve, you disagree with my point of view on this but are respectful and I appreciate that. :)

Of course.

I can see where you are coming from. I have been to a few GPs and the noise was something else. I will definitely miss it when going to the circuit (if I go again), but I also think that the lack of noise is a small price to pay for what I believe could be an interesting years F1.

I think someone though will find a way to make them louder at some point while holding onto the things we have seen this weekend. :)

tjoepie
16th March 2014, 11:37
Well come up with a well-reasoned logic-based argument for formula 1 cars sound as something relevant. I think you'll find that you can't and that it's purely based on emotion and nostalgia...

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 11:41
it's purely based on emotion and nostalgia...

Which are an important part of a human beings make up. Meaning important to people and thus many fans will feel the same as Henners.

They are also important to any Sport generally. I mean F1 has a long history all of which makes it what it is today.

minardi
16th March 2014, 11:43
Well come up with a well-reasoned logic-based argument for formula 1 cars sound as something relevant. I think you'll find that you can't and that it's purely based on emotion and nostalgia...

While I agree with you on the sound of the engines, if anyone here wasn't a motorsport fan, I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to make a logical point that making cars race in the first point, therefore wasting fuel and energy is rather illogical ;)

henners88
16th March 2014, 11:49
I originally said it was purely based on my personal preference so yes for me it is largely down to nostalgia but not such a distant ideal as these engines are brand new. There's no need to make so much out if this and refer to me as stupid. Discussion will always attract differing opinions, might be worth getting used to that.

N4D13
16th March 2014, 12:46
I withdraw my nomination for Kobayashi for obvious reasons. Lotus and Sauber will share the cake this time. ;)

tjoepie
16th March 2014, 14:17
With Kobayashi exonerated, maybe Red Bull and their fuel regulators get a look in? TBH though I don't quite get the need to have fuel flow regulations in the first place... Surely you get X amount of petrol to use and that's the end of it? I'm probably just too stupid to understand why this rule needs to be in place in the first place.

Dave B
16th March 2014, 14:21
I would have nominated Koby for what appeared to be a stupid brainfade, but it turns out it was a brake failure on that dog of a Caterham. So instead I nominate Red Bull for being made aware of Ricciardo's fuel flow during the race but failing to correct it leading to his disqualification. They cost themselves valuable points, and robbed Daniel of a great podium. Idiots.

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 14:34
I would have nominated Koby for what appeared to be a stupid brainfade, but it turns out it was a brake failure on that dog of a Caterham. So instead I nominate Red Bull for being made aware of Ricciardo's fuel flow during the race but failing to correct it leading to his disqualification. They cost themselves valuable points, and robbed Daniel of a great podium. Idiots.

Is this true? That they knew and just didn't do anything about it?

If so that is dumb. :rolleyes:

Doc Austin
16th March 2014, 15:10
I'm ok with the sound of the new engines. It is what is it.

With Ricardo's DQ just announced, it looks like the donkey just might be Red Bull.

N. Jones
16th March 2014, 15:20
Kamui for sure. It also looks like Sergio is back to his disappearing act.

steveaki13
16th March 2014, 15:26
Kamui for sure. It also looks like Sergio is back to his disappearing act.

Kamui had a brake issue and didn't have any rear brakes, so couldn't stop the car. Probably nothing he could do. :)

Mia 01
16th March 2014, 15:39
Koba, second for me until some proof of the brakefailure is shown.

Biggest fools is the RBR team.

And yes, that sound isnīt so bad, is it.

anfield5
16th March 2014, 20:07
It is refreshing to see that a year off hasn't changed Kamakazi San's inability to drive a car. What an idiot! Even my old mum knows that when you come up to a corner you put the bloody brakes on! Williams should present him with the repair bill.

Malbec
16th March 2014, 20:14
Even my old mum knows that when you come up to a corner you put the bloody brakes on!

Which he did, except the rear brakes didn't work as the stewards enquiry demonstrated.

My donkey of the day would therefore go to a mix of Caterham/Renault and the regulations re: the rear brake control systems. I think Kobayashi's problem was to do with the KERS regenerative system not working and therefore the rear brakes giving up and his accident the natural consequence of that. Given the amazing complexity of the new cars overall I do feel that the brakes in particular are one area not to mess around with for safety reasons.

Alternatively the award would go to the FIA for the inaccuracy of its fuel flow metering systems which was pointed out by the teams months before the season started despite better options being available and studied for other formulae which seek to introduce similar restrictions. RBR may have pushed the boat out a little by ignoring repeated FIA warnings to cut back on fuel flow but the root cause is still the inaccuracy of the FIA mandated sensors.

airshifter
16th March 2014, 23:35
With Kobay off the hook (and I should have known better as he is a decent driver) it's much harder to pick a donkey.

So I'll suggest the FIA for the fuel fiasco, making something complicated when it should be easy. Give them race weight in fuel, and let them manage it however they want. If they run out, they run out.

Post race Donkey goes to Tjoepie. simply for starting out the F1 forum season with insults that served no purpose.

anfield5
17th March 2014, 00:49
Even my old mum knows that when you come up to a corner you put the bloody brakes on!

Which he did, except the rear brakes didn't work as the stewards enquiry demonstrated.

Fair enough, I was just going of what he said in an interview during the race, where he basically said that it was his fault. But still 1 race back and Kamakazi San has shown us what we have been missing

TheFamousEccles
17th March 2014, 02:15
Well apologies to Kobe, I have advised that the arse-kicking boot be put on the other foot :dozey: .

RBR/FIA however, are firmly in the picture for this fiasco - welcome to the big league, Daniel - where drivers reputations are collateral damage in the battle for the upper hand.

Storm
17th March 2014, 08:31
Deliberately making a car waste energy making a noise is stupid and fans who think that's at all important are equally stupid.
Ok, I am stupid then.
so do you/would you watch your racing with the tv on "mute" ? It should make no difference to you - or perhaps a football game without commentary/crowd noise? Waste of energy I say.

Mia 01
17th March 2014, 11:31
I have seen the reply of the start a couple of times. Koba wasw pumping the trottle not the brakes. He was like twice as fast as the other cars.

AndyL
17th March 2014, 12:12
My donkey of the day would therefore go to a mix of Caterham/Renault and the regulations re: the rear brake control systems. I think Kobayashi's problem was to do with the KERS regenerative system not working and therefore the rear brakes giving up and his accident the natural consequence of that. Given the amazing complexity of the new cars overall I do feel that the brakes in particular are one area not to mess around with for safety reasons.

I believe that was the case, yes. Which means 5 of 8 Renault-powered cars retired from the race due to technical problems. Not sure if that makes the Renault engine the donkey, but it's certainly no prancing horse! All the Ferrari engines saw the chequered flag (though 8 laps down and unclassified in the case of Bianchi), and only one Mercedes had engine trouble. It sucks to be Renault right now.

SGWilko
17th March 2014, 14:46
I have seen the reply of the start a couple of times. Koba wasw pumping the trottle not the brakes. He was like twice as fast as the other cars.

Because all the other cars had working brakes, they were actually twice as slow as Kamui, due to car failure, he failed to slow down.

kfzmeister
26th March 2014, 14:55
The thing i like about Kamui is that he apologized profusely right away. It does not excuse what happened, especially since Massa's race was ruined.
For that reason, i'm voting for Bottas as DOR, due to the fact that he had an awesome race and showed the performance of the Williams and could have driven it to the podium, yet really messed up by hitting the wall.
All you had to do is watch the replay of Claire Williams after the hit. She sure thought that he was DOR! Lol

henners88
26th March 2014, 15:25
The thing i like about Kamui is that he apologized profusely right away. It does not excuse what happened, especially since Massa's race was ruined.
In hindsight though Koby only had to apologise on behalf of the team as the incident was not his fault. Hats off to him for apologising though, it showed he could think clearly after having his own race ruined by an unforeseeable fault.