PDA

View Full Version : Another Williams False Dawn?

David Lowndes
15th March 2014, 16:59
Is anyone else sceptical that Williams' pre-season pace was more to do with needing a new title sponsor (the care still looks a little logo bare) than a race winning package?

I've seen this before; Jordan were super quick in testing in 1996, then bagged B&H as a sponsor and faded to midfield almost immediately.

I think everyone can agree that Williams have made a big jump forward from last year and that's great to see but will they REALLY be fighting at the front this year?

jens
15th March 2014, 19:05
Williams has often looked better in winter testing than in actual season. I think they can have a solid midfield season, but I believe those, who were looking forward to see Williams emerge as a genuine top team, were always going to get disappointed. These days they just don't have the depth in the team to take on Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari in a season-long battle.

False Dawn? Depends on your expectations. If you believed they can have a better season again (like 2009/2010 or 2012 instead of 2011 or 2013), then no. But in terms of being a top team, then yes.

steveaki13
15th March 2014, 19:25
I am not sure anyone ever believed they would be winning races and challenging for the championship did they?

I mean after the poor season in 2013, we saw and will see Williams having a much stronger season which is very exciting.
There is a real chance of regular points and some podiums throughout the season, maybe even a one off win if strange things happen in the first few rounds.

Anyway I will just be glad to see Williams back up the field hopefully rather than battling to stay ahead of Marussia's and Caterhams

easy rider
15th March 2014, 21:29
I wish that the team would put Martini logos, on that plain black front wing.

steveaki13
15th March 2014, 22:20
I wish that the team would put Martini logos, on that plain black front wing.

I also though one on the large blank sidepods would be good.

Firstgear
15th March 2014, 22:27
I don't see them fighting for the championship, but we'll know allot more after the first race. The Ferrari & Renault engined top teams looked much better in quali, but how will they do for a full race? If they bomb, then Mercedes will walk away with the championship and Williams could be a distant second, getting regular podiums and maybe a win or two. If the Renault & Ferrari powered teams figure out their problems, Williams may go back to the low end of midfield.
I know we often say "lets wait and see", but I really think we need to see the teams run a full race before we can judge.

steveaki13
15th March 2014, 22:35
I think they look better because it was wet.

Not sure what will happen if its dry.

zako85
16th March 2014, 02:46
Almost certainly Maldonado now regrets jumping the Williams ship.

Firstgear
16th March 2014, 02:46
Wasn't it Massa that spun off about a half dozen times at Silverstone in the wet?
If he looks this good in the wet - he may be unbeatable in the dry. :D

Tazio
16th March 2014, 03:27
Wasn't it Massa
You are correct sir!! :dork:
He will be out-qualified and beaten by Fred as usual! :bandit:

Here is my prediction.
Hamilton
Rossberg
Hulkenberg
Alonso
Riccardo
Mag
Massa
Perez
Bottas
Button.
Vettel
Kyvat
Kimi
Vergne
Slash

acescribe
17th March 2014, 10:13
They have genuine pace. Jenson keeps going on about it and Claire Williams' body language in the pits during the race, when she knew a great chance had slipped/was slipping through their fingers said much.

Look out for them next time - a track which will suit both car and drivers more.

David Lowndes
17th March 2014, 18:13
Well I am delighted that my scepticism has been proven wrong; in the first race at least....

I have been a Williams fan for 20 years and I have been disillusioned with F1 for a long time, but if Williams are racing I cannot help but watch!

I hope Williams don't waste the opportunity they have to do well in the early races before all the big money teams catch up! It'll be interesting to see how fast Massa is.

steveaki13
17th March 2014, 22:07
I think its clear Williams is fast, and I personally really like the look of Bottas. I was impressed with his out and out pace and the many moves he made of various cars. I cant wait to see how he and Massa get on in Malaysia.

anfield5
18th March 2014, 02:36
From what WIlliams say Bo77as is considerably faster than Massa and is being tipped as a future world champion, so I hope Williams can provide him with a winning car, so far things look good for them

Jag_Warrior
18th March 2014, 16:26
From what WIlliams say Bo77as is considerably faster than Massa and is being tipped as a future world champion, so I hope Williams can provide him with a winning car, so far things look good for them

We'll know the Williams of old is back if Bottas wins the WDC one year and then gets fired the next. :D

TBH, I think it's way too early to tell just how much promise the car has. So much is going to come down to luck and reliability this season, especially in the early part. I'm not a Williams fan (or a hater), but I'd like to see them do reasonably well and stick around.

steveaki13
18th March 2014, 16:49
No Arrows to head for these days so after winning said WDC he has to partner Kobayashi at Caterham......

Doc Austin
18th March 2014, 16:51
It was definitely fun to see Williams fighting toward the front again.

I think we would have gotten a much better idea of the William's potential if Massa had not gotten punted off so early. Bottas might be faster at this point, but I think later in the race and later in the season that Massa's experience will be a factor. Williams has a great combination with a blistering fast newcomer and an experienced old hand. I think they will be all right.

That, and the car sure looks good, but it needs some Martini stripes and signage on the sidepods.

David Lowndes
19th March 2014, 19:37
We'll know the Williams of old is back if Bottas wins the WDC one year and then gets fired the next. :D

So true!!!

Mark
19th March 2014, 19:41
Or gets fired while leading the championship...

anfield5
19th March 2014, 21:59
So true!!!

But is still wont be quite the same as the brilliant comedy moments we used to have watch a "0" car race for Williams

Finski
23rd March 2014, 00:44
I'm super excited to see how williams do in the next few races, really want them to do well and to see what Bottas can do with a decent car! Hoping for both him and Massa to appearing on the podium this year!

easy rider
23rd March 2014, 20:19
I believe that either Massa or Bottas will stand on the podium this season, but not on the top step. That will come with a more developed car, and a seasoned Bottas.

It's good to see that Williams have truly made a step forward.

anfield5
23rd March 2014, 21:29
I believe that either Massa or Bottas will stand on the podium this season, but not on the top step. That will come with a more developed car, and a seasoned Bottas.

It's good to see that Williams have truly made a step forward.

I can see either Bo77as or Massa actually winning, sure it may rely on the Mercs both dropping out, but if Maldo could win two years ago, Bo77as can surely win this season

kfzmeister
2nd April 2014, 03:10
This thread should be titled "Another Ferrari False Dawn"

acescribe
3rd April 2014, 12:18
This thread should be titled "Another Ferrari False Dawn"

The sun never really rose over the horizon for Ferrari though, did it? They have looked average from the very first test.

With regard to Williams, it is starting to look even after just two races it could well be a false dawn yes. I hope I/we are proved wrong!

pob
3rd April 2014, 14:10
Well we should be able to know after Bahrain how much the rain scuppered their chances in the other races. False dawn would be not having both drivers finish in the top 6.

Tazio
3rd April 2014, 15:17
I also think that Bahrain will be a good indicator for Williams. They were very fast relative to the other teams there in testing. Of course that may all go out the window as I read that there were thunderstorms on the night of the Apr.1, and a sandstorm on the morning of Apr.2. If the track is slippery they may struggle a little. If the weather holds up as predicted however they should be OK. I hope it dose because if my memory serves me correctly Felipe was very fast there, and I'm hoping he and VB can fight somewhere close to the top. At any rate if they are not near the top I think that that will be an indicator they may well have lost ground.

pob
4th April 2014, 01:27
Bahrain is always "green" at first and takes time to rubber in, so the storms probably won't have made that much difference to the track.

Tazio
4th April 2014, 02:22
Bahrain is always "green" at first and takes time to rubber in, so the storms probably won't have made that much difference to the track.

Thanks for the info :dozey:

If the track is slippery they may struggle a little. If the weather holds up as predicted however they should be OK.
Maybe my post was a little confusing. If it doesn't rain, or have a major sandstorm during quali and/or the race they should not be adversely affected by conditions dissimilar to preseason testing.
Welcome to the forum mate :dork: ;)

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 15:42
Well this will be the real test for Williams. They are up on the grid for the first time this season.

jens
6th April 2014, 21:07
Well this will be the real test for Williams. They are up on the grid for the first time this season.

Good, but still couldn't quite deliver.
In 2012 Williams was left ruing the loss of potential big points haul. I think in 2014 Williams hasn't been able to maximize its points total either based on the potential of the car.

steveaki13
6th April 2014, 21:17
Seemed like today they just were always struggling on tyres and had made their first then second stops way before the others, which kept them 3rd and 4th but surely would have faded in the last stint. As it was the SC left them nailed to 7th and 8th.

rjbetty
7th April 2014, 04:01
Itīs kinda nice to think that 7th and 8th places for Williams is considered a bit disappointing this year.

steveaki13
7th April 2014, 09:01
Itīs kinda nice to think that 7th and 8th places for Williams is considered a bit disappointing this year.

True.

Its better times for Williams, although I think it appears most of that is Mercedes engine.

AndyL
7th April 2014, 10:48
Seemed like today they just were always struggling on tyres and had made their first then second stops way before the others, which kept them 3rd and 4th but surely would have faded in the last stint. As it was the SC left them nailed to 7th and 8th.

Yes having to go for a 3-stop strategy really cost them relative to Force India (and McLaren until their problem). Williams actually had a potential benefit from the safety car I think, it gave them back the time they lost by making an extra stop. But at that stage of the race they didn't seem to have the pace to capitalise on it.

MacFeegle
8th April 2014, 20:38
I really dont know what williams are doing these days. They are like the Land that Time Forgot. The time for Gentlemaen in F1 is long passed but W are still in the Ice age. They will be giving thier driver a fag and glass of wiskey at the next ract.

Theyve some great kids but the creams been skimmed. Of the old boys, theyre lagging behind and every time they produce a star, it gets snatched. They need to man (or gel) up and get some balls because their Lunch is eaten at the moment,