PDA

View Full Version : New Project!

Kneeslider
26th February 2014, 13:14
So, its been quite a while since I had a properly good project on the go. Looking back, my venerable '74 Triumph TR6 has been in my garage for 11 and a bit years, I've been driving it for about 7 of those years, so I guess that its time for a change.

In line with my policy of having at least one vehicle in the garage which I have built, I've gone and purchased something as a 'dooer uper'. However, on this occasion, I have broken a few of my self imposed rules!

First, I haven't actually seen the car! Except for on the internet!

Second, I have never driven an example of the type... What if I don't like it?

Third, I'm buying from a dealer. Usually, I like to do a deal face to face, but considering #'1 above, going through the professionals is a whole less of a risk.

So, I have paid my cash, wired it to the sellers, paid for the shipping, insurance and I'm in the process of sorting out import duties and freight handling at this end.

As far as I know, today it is being transported to the port, and will soon be loaded on a container, and shipped half way around the world, and in 6 or 7 weeks, should be in the UK.

Exciting, isn't it?

schmenke
26th February 2014, 14:28
It's be a whole lot more exciting if you'd tell us what the car is. :p:

airshifter
26th February 2014, 14:35
It's be a whole lot more exciting if you'd tell us what the car is. :p:

That is what I was thinking when I got to the end of his post. :D

Gregor-y
27th February 2014, 20:22
But isn't a Hindustan Ambassador really just a Morris Oxford?

Jag_Warrior
1st March 2014, 22:35
Gosh, you guys are impatient! He already said it'll arrive in 6-7 weeks. When he opens the crate, he'll (be able to) tell you what kind of car he bought. :D

D-Type
2nd March 2014, 00:52
But isn't a Hindustan Ambassador really just a Morris Oxford?
An [old] Morris Oxford

MrJan
2nd March 2014, 18:47
Right then kids, place your bets.

I reckon he's getting a Dodge Charger.

Bagwan
2nd March 2014, 21:49
Nah , a Charger's too big for a TR6 guy .

1967 Mustang , red .

Kneeslider
31st May 2014, 05:59
So, this is what's currently residing in my garage. Yes, it is a red one! :D

driveace
31st May 2014, 18:19
A Holden Commadore !

Starter
31st May 2014, 20:12
How much of a project is it? The outside looks pretty good. How about the interior and mechanical?

Kneeslider
2nd June 2014, 01:15
So, now you have all seen it, I can confirm that its a 1965 Porsche 355SC, from California.

However, it does look a bit better in the pictures than in reality. I bought it from a dealer, sight unseen, then engaged a shipping company to handle its import into the UK.

All told, its taken a fair bit of time, cash, and form filling to get to this stage, but the financial risk has been worth it.

It looks as though the car has been an unfinished restoration project, there are signs of blast media around the car, the only welding I can find is in the spare wheel well, under the battery tray. Its been done to an OK standard, so I might have another go at it.

Its an odd one really. Someone has spent a lot of time and money on it, but just when the good part comes, actually making it all work... Well it seems like the previous owner has lost interest, or got divorced or something that meant he couldn't finish the job.

Jobs to do... The interior is thrashed. Some bits have been done really badly, the car is sitting high at the front, and the right side is 12mm higher than the other. The engine runs, but really badly. The wrong distributor is fitted, which won't help. Lots of the electrical system are missing. There are lots of chips in the paint, lots of panel fit isssues Etc. Etc.

It'll fix

schmenke
2nd June 2014, 16:12
355? :cornfused:

Kneeslider
2nd June 2014, 17:32
356 Oops. Pesky typos

schmenke
2nd June 2014, 18:04
O.k., that makes more sense :D . I wasn’t sure if you’re in possession of some ultra-rare, one-of-a-kind Porsche :p:

What's the "SC" designate? I've only ever read about the "A", "B" & "C" series.

Kneeslider
2nd June 2014, 19:33
The Porsche nomenclature for the early cars is a bit strange. Basically there's the 356, the original, which is now known as a pre A. These are further sub divided into ones with a two piece windscreen, or a single piece v profile screen. Then came the A which has a curved screen. The B is the most plentiful, and these come in T5 or T6 body styles. The C was the last iteration, with the same body as the B T6, The C has more power, and disc brakes to all four wheels.

Both the B and the C were available in normal, or super specification. The S of the SC stands for super.

The 356 Carrera had the ultra rare, and now ultra expensive four overhead can engine, driven by bevels, like a '70s Ducati. They made about 130hp from 1600cc but cost as much as a good sized house.