PDA

View Full Version : Calibre of Entry

Alfa Fan
11th February 2014, 12:28
Just been looking down the entries for this year and it is seriously strong, even beyond the big names:

Neal - 3 x series champion
Shedden - series champion
Plato - 2 x series champion
Tordoff - 3rd in Renault Clios & Porsche Carrera Cup, BTCC race winner
Hynes - f3 champion
Turkington - series champion
Collard - independent champion
Giovanardi - 10 x touring car champion (3x Italy, 1x Spanish, 3x European, 2x British, 1x ETC)
Jordan - series champion
Depper - Mini champion
Austin - British F3 & BTCC race winner
Stockton - British GT race winner
Morgan - Ginetta G55 champion
Cole - British Formula Ford champion
Geddie - European Supercar champion
Belcher - Jet Ski & Clio Cup Master champion
Newsham - Clio champion & BTCC race winner
Menu - 2 x BTCC champion; WTCC runner-up
Smith - Clio Cup runner-up
Goff - Clio champion

So that is 12 previous race winners, of which 7 have been series champions, add to that a Formula 3 champion, and a whole field of drivers who have had multiple successes in lower formulae. 20 drivers already announced who have won at least at national level - very impressive.

BDunnell
11th February 2014, 14:16
Best BTCC entry for years. I just hope the boost isn't messed with too much, for, otherwise, this season promises a huge amount.

One thing's for sure: even with points down to 15th, the size of the field means a lot of quick drivers will be struggling even to make the points in 2014.

speedy king
12th February 2014, 10:44
And now Former Ginetta GT Champion - Tom Ingram in an Avensis

NaBUru38
13th February 2014, 15:11
Alfa Fan, I wouldn't count 20 top drivers. Still, the top 8 are clearly big calibre: Jordan, Giovanardi, Menu, Turkington, Neal, Shedden, Plato and Tordoff.

Four of them are very old (Giovanardi, Menu, Neal and Plato). Shedden and Turkington are in the early 30s, and Jordan and Tordoff are 24 years old. It's interesting to see three different generations in the same championship.

christophulus
13th February 2014, 21:22
Great line up. This, linked up with the recent Touring Car Legends series on ITV4 (excellent) means I'm more excited about the BTCC this year than the F1!

BDunnell
14th February 2014, 12:10
Alfa Fan, I wouldn't count 20 top drivers.

I don't think that's quite the point being made, though. Rather, it is relevant to say that there's a lot of strength in depth, with plenty of drivers who may not be on a par with the likes of Giovanardi et al, but who are more than capable of running at or near the front, even in non-reverse grid races. Rob Austin, Aron Smith, Adam Morgan and Jack Goff are cases in point.

BDunnell
14th February 2014, 12:11
Great line up. This, linked up with the recent Touring Car Legends series on ITV4 (excellent) means I'm more excited about the BTCC this year than the F1!

Me too. Touring Car Legends, though, I can take or leave — there's not an awful lot of history there for the dedicated enthusiast, and Tiff Needell's narration grinds my gears.

DazzlaF1
20th February 2014, 20:50
Alfa Fan, I wouldn't count 20 top drivers.

I don't think that's quite the point being made, though. Rather, it is relevant to say that there's a lot of strength in depth, with plenty of drivers who may not be on a par with the likes of Giovanardi et al, but who are more than capable of running at or near the front, even in non-reverse grid races. Rob Austin, Aron Smith, Adam Morgan and Jack Goff are cases in point.

I agree, in my view for the first time in years, we are seeing good quality throughout the grid. Of course it'll never get to the world class levels we saw during the Supertouring days but still, its a lineup thats enough to get anybody excited. And if this hype can be maintained, more higher calibre drivers may be enticed to join in the fun and maybe even new manufacturers.

Speaking of that, the lineup of teams as well is very good too, and proof that the new NGTC regs are both affordable and popular, no less than 9 (potentially 10) of them are intending to run more than one car and the majority of the teams entered are building their own cars and that that can only be positive

BDunnell
22nd February 2014, 11:39
I agree, in my view for the first time in years, we are seeing good quality throughout the grid. Of course it'll never get to the world class levels we saw during the Supertouring days but still, its a lineup thats enough to get anybody excited.

In some ways I think the current line-up is better than in the Super Touring days, when manufacturers entered an awful lot of ex-F1 drivers just because they were 'big names'. I'd far rather see an Aron Smith or a James Nash in the championship than a Gianni Morbidelli or a Jean-Christophe Boullion, 'pay drivers' or no.

Speaking of that, the lineup of teams as well is very good too, and proof that the new NGTC regs are both affordable and popular

Popular, yes — but TOCA needs to keep a close eye on costs ballooning.