PDA

View Full Version : Penis F1 Cars

Eau Rouge
29th January 2014, 01:30
well well, my favourite sport has become embarrassing. Now Force India and Torro Rosso have Penis's on the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXsy07-pjE

sad days. Driven by kids, crappy engine, stupid points system and ugly. What happened to the days of V12's and race cars you could be proud to photograph? Not sure i really care too much anymore who wins this year...
Gonna watch but more to see all the retirements and F1 in another crisis. I watch the sport more for the drama on track and behind the scenes than for the actual racing. Used to be the opposite.

Wish Olivier Panis was driving hahaha be so funny.

pcal226
29th January 2014, 04:54
Alright, seriously everyone needs to chill about the cars this year. Most of them really aren't that bad. The Sauber's nose is actually pretty good. The Red Bull, Mercedes, Williams and Caterham are all also fine. Everyone complained the exact same way about the stepped noses. These are not even close to the ugliest cars in the history of F1. With a few exceptions, the entire 1970's were pretty awful for F1 car looks. First they came out with those ridiculously highly mounted wings and things went downhill from there. Remember the smurf-hat Ligier JS5, the Tyrell P34 six wheeler, the Ensign N179 and pretty much every March car? The McLaren MP4/10 was pretty bad in the 90's. Then in the 2000's you had the walrus nose Williams FW26, the dumbo ears Honda RA108 and the just all around hideous Renault R29 and R30. Then came the stepped noses. So everybody relax. There are ugly cars almost every year and this year is no different nor is it that bad to start with. This isn't a fashion show, its Formula 1. I agree with you about the pay drivers but they've been around forever too. Niki Lauda and Fernando Alonso started as pay drivers. I'm sick of fans saying they're not gonna watch because the cars aren't pretty enough. I understand that F1 has some real problems right now, but plummeting TV viewing ratings and attendance figures isn't gonna fix things. Its just gonna make the sport pinch its pennies more and come up with more ridiculous gimmicks to get fans interested. F1 will still be F1 this year and the year after and i'm still gonna watch like all fans should (when they have the time).

MrJan
29th January 2014, 19:45
I didn't realise that so many people watched F1 because it's a modelling contest!

As for the engines, well there's a number of things behind that. Firstly if F1 is to continue it needs sponsorship and a lot of that comes from car manufacturers who are going to want something out of it, the advances in technology are one of the most tangible benefits and small engine capacities is the way that road cars are going. Secondly it;s about being the pinnacle of technology, and getting 600bhp out of a 1600 engine is pretty damn amazing if you ask me. Thirdly, wtf? F1 is motorsport and motorsport is, at the end of the day, about entertainment. I can't understand the people that would happily watch boring races if only it meant V12s

Eau Rouge
29th January 2014, 21:46
yes yes yes ok ok, i hear you all but I have been to a few races and that sound is unique. You feel your at a spectacle. Even the V8 was ok but after watching Teds notebook even he said that F2 sounded better!!!

As for the look. Its not that important I agree but its great to see cool cars. Yes we have had some dogs but that penis is too much. Red bull, Ferrari, williams and even Lotus look ok but torro and caterham??? mmm ugly.

Suppose technology has made the cars easier to drive but i think back to Mansell and Senna days where you had to be pretty tough to manage one of those cars and watching onboard was amazing. But thats normal progression suppose.

Roamy
30th January 2014, 00:21
They are all sh!t unless you want to go back to JV's winning car. Gilles had a ass kicker looking car before the worst day in F1 history

AndyL
30th January 2014, 10:53
They are all sh!t unless you want to go back to JV's winning car. Gilles had a ass kicker looking car before the worst day in F1 history

You haven't gone back nearly far enough. 1968 was when the designers started beating the cars with the ugly stick.

schmenke
30th January 2014, 16:57
...As for the look. Its not that important ...

It is important for the sport. F1 cars are billboards for sponsors that attract millions of viewers. Unattractive designs will make people look away, diverting from sponsorship logos.

MrJan
30th January 2014, 18:56
yes yes yes ok ok, i hear you all but I have been to a few races and that sound is unique. You feel your at a spectacle. Even the V8 was ok but after watching Teds notebook even he said that F2 sounded better!!!

Must be my upbringing as a rally fan but from what I've heard I think they sound a vast amount better than the V8s. I think it's because of my love for the sound of a 6r4 and this http://www.theweek.co.uk/formula-1/f1-2 ... ound-video (http://www.theweek.co.uk/formula-1/f1-2014/57116/what-do-new-formula-1-v6-engines-sound-video) reminds me a bit of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onu20Ij4Krs

inimitablestoo
30th January 2014, 19:31
Ugly F1 cars? I agree with the earlier comments about the 1970s. I'm loving the variety at the moment. Can't help thinking the nose rule is a clever FIA distraction though, just in case it turns out the new turbo rules aren't all that great... Which I'm sure it will be, even if attempts to compare it to the previous turbo era are futile. Still, cars that actually break down sometimes is a step in the right direction in a bizarre way...

Now Force India and Torro Rosso have Penis's on the front.

This is for safety in the pitlane. Now everyone can see them coming... ;)

anfield5
31st January 2014, 00:58
We have all joked about the looks, and fair enough, there is plenty of material there, but... Where we not all complaining that recent years have seen cars all look the same, with no real design differences, because of the regulations, well ladies and gentlemen our prayers have been answered. So far there is more variety in the looks department than there has been since the 70's. If the regs stay stable into 2015, there is the likelyhood that there will be a considerable amound of converging as one design idea or other proves to be the best answers, so for now lets all be thankful that the cars all look different (especially the Caterham :) , and who knows this ugly duckling might turn out to be a swan in disguise, ask the team at the end of the year)

airshifter
31st January 2014, 04:44
...As for the look. Its not that important ...

It is important for the sport. F1 cars are billboards for sponsors that attract millions of viewers. Unattractive designs will make people look away, diverting from sponsorship logos.

No need to make room for large logos. With the current crop of F1 cars there are probably dozens of potential sponsors that make condoms. McLaren/Mercedes/Trojan team, this week featuring the XXL ribbed for pleasure! :D

I still think people are getting a bit nutty about the design changes. For decades quite a few F1 cars seem strange at first, and over time they get accepted as the norm.

The Black Knight
31st January 2014, 13:08
well well, my favourite sport has become embarrassing. Now Force India and Torro Rosso have Penis's on the front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXsy07-pjE

sad days. Driven by kids, crappy engine, stupid points system and ugly. What happened to the days of V12's and race cars you could be proud to photograph? Not sure i really care too much anymore who wins this year...
Gonna watch but more to see all the retirements and F1 in another crisis. I watch the sport more for the drama on track and behind the scenes than for the actual racing. Used to be the opposite.

Wish Olivier Panis was driving hahaha be so funny.

There's too much rubbish around the show these days in F1 and the Pirelli tires are making a mockery of the sport. It's no longer a sport that wants to go fast. They are going around 10 seconds slower nowadays around a track than they were ten years ago and it is visually apparent too when you see them drive around a track, even on TV. It's a sad state of affairs that F1 is in.

On the other hand, I really don't mind the new cars visually speaking.

inimitablestoo
31st January 2014, 19:06
Here's another thing: to the man on the street, when he tunes in midway through a Grand Prix for the first time in 2014, he'll see the red car going round and identify it immediately as a Ferrari. He won't necessarily know it's not the same Ferrari as the one from last season, or from a few years ago even. It's only to us that the shapes really matter. I first starting following F1 properly in the early '90s and head-on wasn't their prettiest angle back then either (even if, granted, they did look better then).

Besides, look at the '14 breed side-on, or to a certain extent at a three-quarter angle, and they don't look a lot different from last year's cars. I'd even say they look better...

Eau Rouge
1st February 2014, 22:20
We have all joked about the looks, and fair enough, there is plenty of material there, but... Where we not all complaining that recent years have seen cars all look the same, with no real design differences, because of the regulations, well ladies and gentlemen our prayers have been answered. So far there is more variety in the looks department than there has been since the 70's. If the regs stay stable into 2015, there is the likelyhood that there will be a considerable amound of converging as one design idea or other proves to be the best answers, so for now lets all be thankful that the cars all look different (especially the Caterham :) , and who knows this ugly duckling might turn out to be a swan in disguise, ask the team at the end of the year)

you know you have a point!!!! Its good to see variety in the field. And Caterham have gone for it. What I do like is the unpredictability this year is gonna be. I cant wait for the season to start. I think the best engineers/engine manufactures are gonna shine. Lets see...

call_me_andrew
2nd February 2014, 03:42

I'm not nitpicking spelling; this is more of a fun fact.

There are two correct plurals of the word "penis:" penises or penes (pronounced pee-nez).

dj_bytedisaster
2nd February 2014, 12:19
[quote="Eau Rouge":3k4rk17q]well well, my favourite sport has become embarrassing. Now Force India and Torro Rosso have Penis's on the front.

I'm not nitpicking spelling; this is more of a fun fact.

There are two correct plurals of the word "penis:" penises or penes (pronounced pee-nez).[/quote:3k4rk17q]

Doesn't matter, they still have dicks hanging off their faces. Seriously, half the 2014 cars will be bleeped out by the BBC :hmph:

steveaki13
2nd February 2014, 12:31
Doesn't matter, they still have dicks hanging off their faces. Seriously, half the 2014 cars will be bleeped out by the BBC :hmph:

:laugh:

Pixelated F1 cars coming for 2014.

zako85
2nd February 2014, 13:36
We don't need two threads dedicated to the same issue.. I personally welcome his change. Can't wait for the commentator to make sense of it on TV.

dj_bytedisaster
2nd February 2014, 19:47
We don't need two threads dedicated to the same issue.. I personally welcome his change. Can't wait for the commentator to make sense of it on TV.

That TV commentary will be interesting: (read that in Murray Walker's voice)

And here is the Ferrari LaBeluga, hovering away at the front, leaving a surprisingly clean track in it's wake.

And there comes the McLaren scrotum, trying to escape the Lotus that is trying to fork it to the plate.

Still in DRS range is the Force India 'Long Dong Silver', which is pushing the Lotus hard from behind

henners88
3rd February 2014, 07:55
Although the observations of some of the noses were amusing at first, its getting a little wearing now. I doubt we'll see body part references used to describe the fronts of the cars, at least I hope not. I do wonder how strong these nose extensions are and if they are likely to break off if in contact during the start? Would it improve the aero as the car would in effect be running again with a higher nose? I perhaps should ask that in the thread to discuss this however. :)

TheFamousEccles
3rd February 2014, 09:43
So, have we all vented our spleens, now? Finished with the phallic references and innuendo?

Good. As somebody mentioned somewhere on this forum, once the best solution becomes apparent, they all will begin to morph into the same looking car, and the same vociferous whingers will start lamenting the homogeneity of it all... :rolleyes:

So, lets be glad we have F1 in the first place - seriously, it's just one step down from America's Cup sailing in terms of rich mans high pissing competitions.

AndyL
3rd February 2014, 10:24
Although the observations of some of the noses were amusing at first, its getting a little wearing now. I doubt we'll see body part references used to describe the fronts of the cars, at least I hope not.

Ted Kravtiz has already used the phrase "gentleman's appendage." As if you needed anything else to make you dislike Sky more ;)

henners88
3rd February 2014, 11:37
Although the observations of some of the noses were amusing at first, its getting a little wearing now. I doubt we'll see body part references used to describe the fronts of the cars, at least I hope not.

Ted Kravtiz has already used the phrase "gentleman's appendage." As if you needed anything else to make you dislike Sky more ;)
I'm surprised Ted can see them considering he has a similar one in the middle of his forehead :p

Seriously though Sky have yet to impress me with their technical delivery so its hardly a surprise Andy. I'll just tune in and watch their races for free and leave the waffle to those paying for it :)

steveaki13
4th February 2014, 08:58
I'm surprised Ted can see them considering he has a similar one in the middle of his forehead :p

:laugh:

steveaki13
4th February 2014, 09:04
So which design do we think will be best?

I ask because the likelihood is that which ever appears to be best will appear on most cars.

So will everyone put a vacuum cleaner on the front, a fork or a pointy bulge.

I cant wait to see how the Lotus goes. I mean the Mercedes and Ferrari have gone a similar way, and everyone else has gone for the ugly bulge.

Lotus are the only one to the fork direction. It could be a master stroke or disaster.

airshifter
4th February 2014, 11:27
At the very least it will be quite interesting to see who got it right. Assuming any of them did. :)

It seems that everyone has a slightly different idea, and when you're dealing with some of the best minds there are concerning aerodynamics, packaging, etc that seems rather strange. As much as I hope I'm wrong, it would seem that any protrusion would disrupt flow, and the wider the protrusion the more flow would be spread outward. Based on that the wider nose of the Ferrari would have to capture and control that outward flow to a much greater extent than the skinny noses of others.

I'm thinking that maybe Lotus got it right, as ugly as it is.

But I'm hoping they have all tackled the problem with designs that work for all cars, regardless of what outward appearances are.

AndyL
4th February 2014, 12:39
The disadvantage of the Lotus design is that behind the legality zone 50mm from the tip, their double nose has twice the cross-sectional area of the single noses. Obviously they feel the flow conditioning benefit outweighs that. My hunch is that the Red Bull design, with a tear-drop section hanging down below a higher, flatter nose, could be the winner.

Despite my sympathy for the team I really hope Caterham have got it wrong, we don't want to see everyone else copying that one :)

Wasted Talent
4th February 2014, 16:46
Just like the stepped noses, the new low noses are hardly visible when out on the track.

At the launch the Force India looked terrible but as soon as you see the car in motion against a black background the extension is invisible - same with the Red Bull etc. Even the hoover style of the Ferrari is diminshed once you see it in it's real environment, not like a model on a catwalk at the launch.

The sound won't be much different for TV viewers, but as a spectator at an actual GP it will cetainly be different - it is now just a loud-ish car sound, whereas the V8s had a visceral quality that was almost overpowering.

anfield5
4th February 2014, 19:01
The disadvantage of the Lotus design is that behind the legality zone 50mm from the tip, their double nose has twice the cross-sectional area of the single noses. Obviously they feel the flow conditioning benefit outweighs that. My hunch is that the Red Bull design, with a tear-drop section hanging down below a higher, flatter nose, could be the winner.

Despite my sympathy for the team I really hope Caterham have got it wrong, we don't want to see everyone else copying that one :)

I hope that no design is fundamentally better than the others. As I said earlier, I do expect designs to converge, but I hope that doesn't happen. If 1 design does prove to be the benchmark I hope to all that is holy that it is not that forkin Renault, even the Caterham is a handsome elegant brute next to it.

wmcot
21st February 2014, 06:18
I'd say that the FIA should make mandatory chrome front bumpers the full width of the car - like a 1960 Cadillac. That would add some safety!

Whyzars
21st February 2014, 15:16
...as a spectator at an actual GP it will cetainly be different - it is now just a loud-ish car sound, whereas the V8s had a visceral quality that was almost overpowering.

Now you've done it. :D

I was just starting to forget how stupid I thought it was forcing teams to dump a stable engine design that sounded like it could eat a cow for some P.O.S. low revving V6 that has created huge expense for the teams and they can't even test it because that would cost too much money - real space cadet stuff. Everything is about saving money - fuel, testing, engines, gearboxes - except when its not and they waste it in bucketloads every chance they get.

I'm surprised F1 hasn't made the move to front wheel drive. Maybe next year.

I was just starting to forget... :s