PDA

View Full Version : It's finally hit the fan for Bernard Charles Ecclestone

SGWilko
16th January 2014, 15:17
Ze German's have indicted BCE.

BCE stepped down, but still running the show.

Only in F1 land folks!

Tazio
16th January 2014, 15:37
I hope they nail him to the cross, but somehow I think he will find a way to weasel out of this. :pimp:

SGWilko
16th January 2014, 15:58
If he is found not guilty of paying Gibrawlsky a bribe, then does that not make him (Gibrawlsky) a free man?

BDunnell
16th January 2014, 18:21
He should step down from the day-to-day running of F1 as well as the directorship. For him to carry on in the role will be another nail in the coffin of F1's wider public image.

Robinho
16th January 2014, 23:42
I hope he spends an extended period behind bars, I'm glad things are finally catching up with him, his propensity to enter into and then break contracts alone makes him human garbage imo

dj_bytedisaster
17th January 2014, 02:45
May every debilitating desease descend on him like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat.

longisland
17th January 2014, 15:05
Give the man a break. Formula 1 will not be what it is today if it wasn't for him. Many fans lamented him for abandoning the traditional Euro zone events such as Magny Cours or Imola for venues like Bahrain & Yongnam. What most people overlooked is the amount of money Bernie brought into EU from the rest of the world.
I don't see the value of sending an 83 years old man to do time. It would be more sensible to fine him 5 billion euros. It's a commercial crime so just punish him by having him coughing up all his embezzlement.

journeyman racer
18th January 2014, 23:17
Give the man a break. Formula 1 will not be what it is today if it wasn't for him.

What is F1 today?

What would it be like if he wasn't around?

Many fans lamented him for abandoning the traditional Euro zone events such as Magny Cours or Imola for venues like Bahrain & Yongnam. What most people overlooked is the amount of money Bernie brought into EU from the rest of the world.

Why is this important to F1/motorsport fans?

philipbain
19th January 2014, 22:37
Bernie was great fot the sport, until the global economic meltdown, the world we live in now is fundamentally different in many ways and F1 has not adapted or changed fast enough to keep up and I put this partially down to Bernie and the way that the sport's rights and broadcasting is distributed. The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.

So in short, I think Bernie's time is up and it's unfortunate for him but somehow inevitable that his less than above board dealings have finally caught up with him.

henners88
20th January 2014, 10:45
Give the man a break. Formula 1 will not be what it is today if it wasn't for him. Many fans lamented him for abandoning the traditional Euro zone events such as Magny Cours or Imola for venues like Bahrain & Yongnam. What most people overlooked is the amount of money Bernie brought into EU from the rest of the world.
I don't see the value of sending an 83 years old man to do time. It would be more sensible to fine him 5 billion euros. It's a commercial crime so just punish him by having him coughing up all his embezzlement.
Bernie did a great job years ago but as he got more and more greedy and used his power to settle personal scores, his achievements have rightfully been dumbed down. I would like nothing more than to see him spend the rest of his life behind bars. If any of us committed fraud, we would go down for it and greedy people like Bernie should not be immune from such punishments.

The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.
The internet is hard to govern and I think that is why Bernie was reluctant to move in that direction. After all, the internet allows people like me to view his product for free and I doubt he is keen on that! haha :p

Tazio
2nd February 2014, 11:07
Bernie did a great job years ago but as he got more and more greedy and used his power to settle personal scores, his achievements have rightfully been dumbed down. I would like nothing more than to see him spend the rest of his life behind bars. If any of us committed fraud, we would go down for it and greedy people like Bernie should not be immune from such punishments.

The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.
The internet is hard to govern and I think that is why Bernie was reluctant to move in that direction. After all, the internet allows people like me to view his product for free and I doubt he is keen on that! haha :p
Yeah Dawg;
This
http://88.80.11.29/:cool:

Tazio
2nd February 2014, 11:13
Bernie was great fot the sport, until the global economic meltdown, the world we live in now is fundamentally different in many ways and F1 has not adapted or changed fast enough to keep up and I put this partially down to Bernie and the way that the sport's rights and broadcasting is distributed. The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.

So in short, I think Bernie's time is up and it's unfortunate for him but somehow inevitable that his less than above board dealings have finally caught up with him.
Well stated!
http://goatd.net/

truefan72
2nd February 2014, 16:54

yup

steveaki13
4th February 2014, 09:09
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/sebastian-vettel/10615612/Bernie-Ecclestone-blames-Sebastian-Vettels-domination-of-Formula-One-in-2013-for-fall-in-worldwide-TV-audience.html

So Bernie reckons its domination that is hitting viewing figures.

I think its several things. Domination, TV coverage and stupid rules.

So whats the answer? I know even sillier rules. :rolleyes: :mad: :dozey:

Tazio
4th February 2014, 15:18
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/sebastian-vettel/10615612/Bernie-Ecclestone-blames-Sebastian-Vettels-domination-of-Formula-One-in-2013-for-fall-in-worldwide-TV-audience.html

So Bernie reckons its domination that is hitting viewing figures.

I think its several things. Domination, TV coverage and stupid rules.

So whats the answer? I know even sillier rules. :rolleyes: :mad: :dozey:
I swear to christ, Bernie is a freakin' ass-clown
From the same link:

Some members of the paddock appeared taken by surprise at the immensely hostile reception to Ecclestone’s double-points idea, designed to keep the championship alive for as long as possible. Toto Wolff, the Mercedes motorsport director, admitted at pre-season testing in Jerez: “I think obviously the shitstorm we got afterwards was something not expected. Was it the right move or not? 99 per cent of our fans and spectators, and this is what counts, told us it was the wrong move so perhaps it is something to revisit
And then Bernie says this:

However, Ecclestone has told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt this week that the ‘double points’ concept was designed specifically to help the sport’s most famous team.

“He (Montezemolo) was talking about it and I said ‘It is very simple why we got that (double points rule)’,” Ecclestone is quoted by City A.M.

“‘It is because you (Ferrari) aren’t performing’,” the 83-year-old recalled telling Montezemolo.

“‘If you were doing what you should be doing there wouldn’t be any need for it’. He (Montezemolo) said ‘I know, I know’,” Ecclestone added.
I need a little help here; from everything I've read Zemo was against double points. Is the implication that Ferrari didn't use their "special" veto to axe the deal?
Ferrari are where they are because of lack of innovation and the testing freeze, that is all their is to it. The wind tunnel problem is a factor, but then again a self inflicted wound.
If this is in fact the case, Bernie is even more of a tool for bringing Ferrari's woes into this. What about, Mercedes, McLaren, Lotus and down the line. Does Bernie think it is acceptable for those teams to get their freakin' asses kicked by Red Bull?
Bernie can be a very small thinking man. Does he think comments like these can be made, without alienating fans even more?
I just wish that guy would go away.

SGWilko
20th February 2014, 12:33
There it is then - the case brought by the media group Constantin Medien has been dismissed.

BUT

The judge had this to say about BCE;

"The payments were a bribe. They were made because Mr Ecclestone had entered into a corrupt agreement with Dr Gribkowsky on May 2005 under which Dr Gribkowsky was to be rewarded for facilitating the sale of BLB's shares in the F1 Group to a buyer acceptable to Mr Ecclestone.

"Mr Ecclestone's aim was to be rid of the banks. He was strongly averse to their involvement in the F1 Group and was keen that their shares should be transferred to someone more congenial to him."

The judge also said: "Even... making allowances for the lapse of time and Mr Ecclestone's age, I am afraid that I find it impossible to regard him as a reliable or truthful witness."

Ze German prosecuters will be rubbing their hands with glee. And I guess this ruling alone will see BCE prevented from taking up his position again as to do so now, will cause Mercedes among others to pull out.

wmcot
21st February 2014, 06:22
Nah. Bernie will still be running things. He's F1's version of Kim Jong Il (only just slightly less dead!)

Doc Austin
21st February 2014, 16:04
No so fast.......... http://www.racer.com/index.php/f1/item/ ... court-case (http://www.racer.com/index.php/f1/item/101318-ecclestone-wins-london-court-case)

All that is left now is the trial in Germany, but as long as Bernie stays out of that country I think he could be all right. I don't know what kind of extradition laws they have in Europe if they do find him guilty. Either way, I would not be surprised to see Bernie running F1 again soon.

Robinho
21st February 2014, 23:12
Technically wins the case, despite being unreliable and untruthful, and also comes out in support of Vladamir Putin's policies over treatment of homosexuality. The man is an utter embarrassment.

Inland revenue are investigating his 5 billion trust fund, he still has the bribery trial, which was brought up in the latest case as well.