PDA

View Full Version : Returning former champ in BTCC?

Bro Mo
12th January 2014, 22:49
In Autosport's coverage of Autosport International I noticed the following:

Champion Andrew Jordan alludes to the very juicy gossip sweeping AUTOSPORT International 2014 when he mentions that given rumours about who might appear in the series, it could be "one of the best in history."

Motorbase is the team at the centre of this talk. AUTOSPORT understands that it has been in touch with some former champions

Anyone any idea who the rumours are about?

Robinho
13th January 2014, 09:33
It's Anthony Reid isn't it? It's always Anthony Reid! On a serious note, I would assume Rydell, Thompson or Muller, but all 3 are contracted elsewhere aren't they? Who else is there in the relatively recent past?

poulsonabean
13th January 2014, 09:45
Thompson is at Lada, Muller at Citroen. No word on Rydell for next year yet, so possibly (I hope so!) or Menu? Gio?

BDunnell
13th January 2014, 17:16
Whatever the outcome of this, I'm just glad there's a bit of a buzz around the BTCC driver line-up again.

Robinho
13th January 2014, 23:32
Menu or Gio are good shouts, I would have thought Gio is likely to have to most contacts still in the BTCC and is obviously the most recent ex-champ of out hastily assembled short list.

JasonPotato
15th January 2014, 17:10
Would guess it Gio but could be thommo or menu. Cleland to make a come back? :D

Alfa Fan
16th January 2014, 00:02
Motorsport News report today Menu is coming back.

BDunnell
16th January 2014, 11:35
Well, if it is Menu, what a surprise. Would he be the oldest driver in the series?

JasonPotato
16th January 2014, 20:38
Good to hear, hope he's given the machinery to challenge for title.

MrJan
27th January 2014, 19:06
Only just seen this, great news. Remember being at Thruxton a few years back when he did a one off race in a Vectra. Menu is one of those drivers from my childhood and I was a big fan of the series when he was in his prime, so it's nice to see him coming back.

Alfa Fan
27th January 2014, 20:00
Alain Menu confirmed in a Volkswagen Passat CC for Team BMR.

Aron Smith, Warren Scott & Jack Goff make up remainder of line-up.

JasonPotato
27th January 2014, 20:02
Not really news. Saw that coming a while back.

Alfa Fan
27th January 2014, 20:05
Not really news. Saw that coming a while back.

12 days ago you said you thought it was Giovanardi...

JasonPotato
27th January 2014, 20:30
I actually said 1 of 3 previous champions. 1 of which was Menu. If your going tell me what i said, please do so correctly.

Quoting myself 'not really news' well it wasn't, seen as it was said above 12 days ago that it was Menu.

Nice to hear confirmation though, will be good to see him back in the championship.

BDunnell
27th January 2014, 20:31
Wasn't expecting him to be in that team! Very impressive. Aron Smith will be a good yardstick.

Alfa Fan
27th January 2014, 20:47
I actually said 1 of 3 previous champions. 1 of which was Menu. If your going tell me what i said, please do so correctly.

Quoting myself 'not really news' well it wasn't, seen as it was said above 12 days ago that it was Menu.

Nice to hear confirmation though, will be good to see him back in the championship.

You covered every feasible option unless Jack Sears was returning!

Bro Mo
27th January 2014, 21:28
Great news to have Menu back - when was the last time we had 6 BTCC champs on the grid?

And according to Autosport there could yet be a 7th!

christophulus
4th February 2014, 21:16
And indeed, there is - Gio's back:

http://www.btcc.net/2014/02/04/airwaves-racing-confirms-two-time-btcc-champion-fabrizio-giovanardi/

JasonPotato
4th February 2014, 22:34
That's 2 of 3 i mentioned.... turns out my prediction wasn't so stupid. Nice to have some big names returning!

Alfa Fan
5th February 2014, 00:25
That's 2 of 3 i mentioned.... turns out my prediction wasn't so stupid. Nice to have some big names returning!

It was a prediction that could not fail - that was my point.

Giovanardi, Menu & Rydell are the only 3 possible.

Aiello is retired, Thompson is doing WTCC with Lada, Muller WTCC with Citroen, Biela & Cleland retired, Tarquini WTCC with Honda, all previous champions retired.

JasonPotato
5th February 2014, 12:20
If it was a prediction that could not fail, it was a good prediction :)

I didn't really work it out like that, just picked 3 names which it would be most likely.