PDA

View Full Version : Useless pet stuff.

Caroline
12th April 2007, 11:37
So there I was, looking at kennels on a pet supplies website, when it struck me that some pet owners must have more money than sense. Not only are the prices a little high but the products seem unnecessary. As I own a cat I thought I would look at the cat products. Now my cat has rejected every basket, fluffy blanket, soft cushion ever introduced and prefers to sleep curled up on the edge of a bed. I just laughed when I saw this...

[/b] :p opupWindow('http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=60')]http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/bmz_cache/5/543c14f21ceb5f852efe8b87fcfa4103.image.150x94.jpg (http://javascript[b)

Surely it is just a hat?

http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=60

'Jesters Crinkle cat bed'. Retailing at 9.99 GBP. I mean really..

BeansBeansBeans
12th April 2007, 12:06
Pet owners will buy any old rubbish. Especially people with lapdogs. Someone once gave us a Christmas neckerchief for Beans and she just ripped it off. She knows she's a dog, not a Barbie doll.

CarlMetro
12th April 2007, 12:12
It used to be an 'only in America' thing, sadly it seems to have progressed over here at an alarming speed. One of Sam's work friends has a West Hiland White and she thinks nothing of dressing it in doggie jumpers, sparkly collars and even raincoat and boots :dozey:

Californians are still king when it comes to stupidity with pets though :eek:

Eki
12th April 2007, 13:05
So there I was, looking at kennels on a pet supplies website, when it struck me that some pet owners must have more money than sense. Not only are the prices a little high but the products seem unnecessary. As I own a cat I thought I would look at the cat products. Now my cat has rejected every basket, fluffy blanket, soft cushion ever introduced and prefers to sleep curled up on the edge of a bed. I just laughed when I saw this...

[/b] :p opupWindow('http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=60')]http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/bmz_cache/5/543c14f21ceb5f852efe8b87fcfa4103.image.150x94.jpg (http://javascript[b)

Surely it is just a hat?

http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=60

'Jesters Crinkle cat bed'. Retailing at 9.99 GBP. I mean really..
What I've noticed about cats is that they are curious about "dark holes" like closets and boxes. What may look a stupid jester's hat to you may look cool to a cat. It has three dark holes and if it has jingle bells on top, I'm sure it might be a hit among cats. But as a bed, I'm sure they'd still prefer your bed.

schmenke
12th April 2007, 14:34
What I've noticed about cats is that they are curious about "dark holes" like closets and boxes. What may look a stupid jester's hat to you may look cool to a cat. It has three dark holes and if it has jingle bells on top, I'm sure it might be a hit among cats. ....

True, but our old family feline was just as content playing with an old paper bag or a cardboard box :mark:

tinchote
12th April 2007, 15:52
I've been thinking along this line for years now. It all started one day when I was at the supermarket and they were selling "dog pillows" at $40 each. Human pillows you could get a few steps further for $10 or less :s

Caroline
12th April 2007, 16:40
Yes, a simple bowl for water becomes a bejewelled pink bowl with matching floor mat. Fine for a few quid but these things are vastly overpriced.

[/b]:window.close()]http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/images/Kitty%20Cat%20PLAYHOUSE%2026751.jpg (http://javascript[b)

I mean, would you pay 65 GBP for this? Or give the cat the empty box your microwave came in? (It's Kitty Kat Playhouse btw)

Hazell B
12th April 2007, 19:52
I've got to hold my hand up to one of my dogs, Kipper, having about a dozen or more 'jumpers' and the other loads of bandanas.

Mind you, Kipper's a skinny dog who gets cold at the stables all day and Naburn can't wear a normal collar as he gets a sore neck, so there are excuses. Plus, I knit Kipper's jumpers rather than waste twenty quid on bought ones and Naburn's bandanas are mainly ones he's been given as presents. I sure don't spend much on either of them, it just looks like I do! :p :

Their toys are mainly Disney type stuffed animals, but cost an average of 20p each at boot sales. The only reason they're Disney is that those ones haven't got glass or plastic eyes, so are safest. It's not a style thing, I couldn't give a stuff what the label says when the dog just runs about dragging a pink teddy, Nemo or Beanie Baby by it's leg until the head falls off :laugh:

Kipper's got a diamante dangly thing on his collar that cost a fiver, but beyond that I can't think of anything pointless I've bought either of them. Naburn's lead, which is worn about twice a year, is a bit of string from a bale of hay and his bed is an expensive one but he won it in a show.

Just remembered their one luxury - a large, stone built, Victorian slate roofed kennel at the stables. It's two storey (cat has the penthouse) with rubber matted floor and a 17th century dove stone from a church set in one wall. Above the door is some Italian limestone and the ceiling is beamed with pine. On the back wall there's an original malt shovel and some wrought ironwork tools painted black and somebody made some wooden roses which hang in the roof space. It's very, very posh. I built it myself.
Of course, all the materials cost me about forty quid in all, so it was cheap :D

CarlMetro
12th April 2007, 20:03
Just remembered their one luxury - a large, stone built, Victorian slate roofed kennel at the stables. It's two storey (cat has the penthouse) with rubber matted floor and a 17th century dove stone from a church set in one wall. Above the door is some Italian limestone and the ceiling is beamed with pine. On the back wall there's an original malt shovel and some wrought ironwork tools painted black and somebody made some wooden roses which hang in the roof space. It's very, very posh. I built it myself.
Of course, all the materials cost me about forty quid in all, so it was cheap :D

And you reckon you ain't a posh tart :rolleyes: :p :

Sounds nicer than my first house :\

Hazell B
12th April 2007, 20:44
And you reckon you ain't a posh tart :rolleyes: :p :

Sounds nicer than my first house :\

You know me. You know I ain't no posh tart. Tattoos and horsehair matted sweaters do not a posh tart make :laugh:

The kennel's near the yard gates, so I wanted it to look nice. We had some gorgous stone and slates already but nowhere else to use them. Got to build a small drystone wall around the kennel yet and plant some silver birches, then it'll be posh :D

LotusElise
12th April 2007, 21:35
There's a crochet pattern website I've been on which has a whole section of things to crochet for pets.

schmenke
13th April 2007, 16:22
... Tattoos ...

This thread is useless without pics! :s hock: :D

Hazell B
14th April 2007, 22:21
There's a crochet pattern website I've been on which has a whole section of things to crochet for pets.

I've got Knitting for Dogs by some woman who makes doggy jumpers.
It's rubbish :p :

Sorry Schmenke, I can't work computers. Images are out of my ability :mark:

To the nameless person who reminded me that one of my horses has an original, non-fake Burberry horse rug - yeah, I had forgotten :rolleyes:
Excuse, if anyone cares, is that it was before fake Chavvy Burberry became normal and it hasn't been near a horse since the first sighting of the patern in a pub ten years ago. Plus, I got it dead cheap :D

slinkster
15th April 2007, 12:12
We have two family cats back at home, and you can keep them occupied with a bit of old string and a bottle top... I can't believe that there's this huge market for pet toys (particularly for cats) when you can find any old thing for them to play with.

A.F.F.
15th April 2007, 13:34
I mean, would you pay 65 GBP for this? Or give the cat the empty box your microwave came in? (It's Kitty Kat Playhouse btw)

Our Nelly have a fetish for empty boxes. She just loves them. Also, those things chicks use for ponytails, I don't know what those are in english. But she loves them too.

CharlieJ
15th April 2007, 22:53
Charlie's first law of cat ownership.......

"The more you spend on a toy or accessory for a cat, the less they like it"

Charlie's second law of cat ownership......

"The less you spend on cat food, the more disgusted the cat looks"

Well, it certainly applied to my cat.

Eki
15th April 2007, 22:57
Charlie's first law of cat ownership.......

"The more you spend on a toy or accessory for a cat, the less they like it"

Charlie's second law of cat ownership......

"The less you spend on cat food, the more disgusted the cat looks"

Well, it certainly applied to my cat.
Yes, that's what I've noticed too. Cats aren't picky about their toys, but they certainly are picky about their food.

Rollo
15th April 2007, 23:13
What do you get for the cat that hates everything?
We have a black cat that hates being ignored, being patted, when someone sits where it was, when you don't sit next to it, being fed, not being fed, the vacuum cleaner, going outside, staying inside, images on the telly... the list goes on and on.

I am convinced however that there is only one black cat in the world. They all look precisely the same and only one of them is actually awake at any given moment. It must be some sort of bizarre time-share agreement which I dont know about.

LeonBrooke
15th April 2007, 23:36
I've got Knitting for Dogs by some woman ...

That's odd. How does the dog hold the knitting needle without opposable thumbs?

CharlieJ
15th April 2007, 23:39
What do you get for the cat that hates everything?
We have a black cat that hates being ignored, being patted, when someone sits where it was, when you don't sit next to it, being fed, not being fed, the vacuum cleaner, going outside, staying inside, images on the telly... the list goes on and on.

I am convinced however that there is only one black cat in the world. They all look precisely the same and only one of them is actually awake at any given moment. It must be some sort of bizarre time-share agreement which I dont know about.
Some cats are just pure bl**dy minded! Then again so are some people. ;)

As for that second bit..... call Mulder and Scully... you might have something there. :eek:

CharlieJ
15th April 2007, 23:41
I've got Knitting for Dogs by some woman ...

That's odd. How does the dog hold the knitting needle without opposable thumbs?

that's why it's rubbish..... :D

jso1985
16th April 2007, 00:14
Yes, that's what I've noticed too. Cats aren't picky about their toys, but they certainly are picky about their food.

cause that's the only thing they actually care about, my cats won't eat the cheap Peruvian tuna fish(cost 0.6€/can) but they love the more expensive Chilean one(cost 1€/can) yet they'll play with anything, currently they fight all the time for an empty DVD box

LeonBrooke
16th April 2007, 00:48
that's why it's rubbish..... :D

Ah, I understand... ;)

Hazell B
16th April 2007, 08:30
Dogs don't need opposable thumbs to do stuff.
The proof is openly available in any Wallace & Grommit DVD ;)

Our stable cat eats only the very cheapest dry cat food, yet won't touch good quality tinned cat food. He eats birds, rodents and roadkill, yet won't try those expensive pouches of posh stuff.
Little s*** had it away with one of my cheese straws the other day and eat that before I could catch him :s Hope he had nightmares :p :

CharlieJ
16th April 2007, 08:42
Our stable cat eats only the very cheapest dry cat food, yet won't touch good quality tinned cat food. He eats birds, rodents and roadkill, yet won't try those expensive pouches of posh stuff.
Little s*** had it away with one of my cheese straws the other day and eat that before I could catch him :s Hope he had nightmares :p :
There's always one....... ;)

Hazell B
16th April 2007, 08:55
There was two, but the other ate one set of roadkill too many and was squashed :(

But yes, there is always one. We bought him nice things when we rescued him, but he likes the low life better.

Eki
16th April 2007, 09:02

Nobby is a stable cat. He has a reputation to keep. Posh cat food don't a stable cat make.

LeonBrooke
16th April 2007, 09:29

You're quite right... how could I have forgotten??