PDA

View Full Version : The real reason Kobayashi will not return to F1

zako85
28th November 2013, 09:13
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26760.html

henners88
28th November 2013, 09:50
I'm shocked to see that is the reason he was excluded. Even Michael Schumacher smoked the odd cigar throughout his career. Quite a few premiership footballers smoke and although its a dirty habit, I find it odd that a team would not sign a decent racing driver just because of a photo of him holding a cigarette. Mental.

dj_bytedisaster
28th November 2013, 12:47
Word has it that at Lotus Kimi was smoking during debriefings, so not everyone is that hypocritical. First and foremost, smoking is still legal, so if anyone decides to poison himself using a perfectly legal method - why would that be a problem? It's not like he was lighting up during a post-race interview...
And why would it be acceptable for Kimi to be filmed lying on the pavement infront of a club - completely wasted - but a saturday night paparazzi shot with a cigarette kills a career?

555-04Q2
28th November 2013, 13:55
Double standards, that's what ;)

AndyL
28th November 2013, 14:41
I doubt it has the slightest impact on his prospects of returning to F1.

From the date on the article I see this nonsense appeared on grandprix.com before the season had even ended. I dread to think what sort of rubbish they will be dredging up by January. Another site to file alongside planet-f1 I think.

Doc Austin
28th November 2013, 16:31
That's got to be a parody.

anfield5
28th November 2013, 19:12
I'm sorry... is any one actually taking this as a genuine reason why he is not in F1? :rolleyes:

Tazio
28th November 2013, 19:56
:snore:

Eunos
28th November 2013, 23:04
If it was just a regular Cigarette and nothing illegal.. So what?

Koz
29th November 2013, 01:00
Of course it's true!!

Just look at Ferrari:
They only reason they aren't winning is the half pack of Marlboro's on the side of their car!!

Red Bull gives you wings [and possibly diabetes!] !!

acescribe
29th November 2013, 09:41
"Pass me a cigarette dear boy"...

555-04Q2
29th November 2013, 09:50
Filter or plain?

Rollo
2nd December 2013, 11:19
So the fact that Ferrari were able to sign Kimi and retain the services of Alonso had nothing to do with it eh?

schmenke
2nd December 2013, 19:36
At the risk of "dating" myself, I remember footage of Keke Rosberg butting out a fag just prior to donning his helmet and strapping himself into his car at the start of a race :mark: .

D-Type
2nd December 2013, 21:55
John Player Special, Gold Leaf, Marlboro, Rothmans, Mild 7, West, Embassy, Benson and Hedges, etc etc.

Where would F1 be without cigarettes?

Rollo
2nd December 2013, 22:14
http://www4.images.coolspotters.com/photos/958641/kimi-raikkonen-and-smoking-gallery.jpg

So the man on the left hasn't just signed for Ferrari? I don't understand.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd December 2013, 03:13
It's just hogwash. James Hunt was lauded for being a smoking, drinking, women-shaggin' son-of-a-bitch. Keke smoked like a furnace. Kimi regularly gets shitfaced, so effing what? The reason why Koba isn't in F1 is that a) he doesn't bring enough money and b) he isn't good enough - the end.

Sage-sg
4th December 2013, 07:13
It's bullshit! Kimi smoke and all know it.

Jag_Warrior
7th January 2014, 17:39
Kamui Kobayashi drove for Sauber in 2012. He apparently smoked a cigarette in a nation where smoking is neither illegal nor socially unacceptable. And he can't race for Sauber or return to F1 for this reason???

Adrian Sutil was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm to an individual, fined 200,000 euros and given an 18-month suspended jail sentence (this alone would make him a convicted felon in the U.S.). Adrian Sutil will drive for Sauber in 2014.

I don't mind Sutil, but I thought that Kamui Kobayashi was one of the most exciting drivers in 2011-12. And I greatly miss him being on the grid - especially with more monied, half-talents taking up space next year.

Tazio
9th January 2014, 14:31
According to F1.com Kamui is is still being considered for a seat with Caterham. IMO he deserves a seat that would allow him to compete for championship points, however that seat would at least get him back in the game. I hope he gets it.
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2014/1/15368.html

zako85
10th January 2014, 02:16
I heard that the Caterham contract is contingent on Kobayashi quitting smoking and accepting his salary in dogecoin mined on employees' laptops.

Big Ben
10th January 2014, 14:44
it's the changes of the regulations for next year with the size of the drivers being even a bigger deal now... d-uh. He smokes so he wouldn't grow anymore :rolleyes:

steveaki13
15th January 2014, 22:35
I would like to see Kobayashi back. Hell at least a Caterham seat puts him on the grid.

Plus I am sure Kamui can cause all sorts of chaos from there. ;)

Rollo
16th January 2014, 00:09
I heard that the Caterham contract is contingent on Kobayashi quitting smoking and accepting his salary in dogecoin mined on employees' laptops.

Such Hack. Many Dogecoin. Very Disappear. So Gone. Such shining. So crypto. Very Currency. Wow. :D

Roamy
17th January 2014, 06:53
It's just hogwash. James Hunt was lauded for being a smoking, drinking, women-shaggin' son-of-a-bitch. Keke smoked like a furnace. Kimi regularly gets shitfaced, so effing what? The reason why Koba isn't in F1 is that a) he doesn't bring enough money and b) he isn't good enough - the end.

this is the correct post !!

longisland
17th January 2014, 14:32
I think koba is good enough but he just doesn't have enough dogecoins. He's on par with Massa & Sutil in my form book & safe to say better than Heikki. The problem is even he gets a Caterham drive, he will be racing only his team mate & the Marussias. There will be no tv coverage unless the car's on fire. Maybe the FIA should introduce the normally aspirated class as they did in the 80s.

I'd rather see him in DTM. There's still disparity just like Formula 1 but I believe Koba may secure a decent drive in a mid field team with less funding.

rjbetty
18th January 2014, 17:59
I think Kobayashi's good too, but I think he's very overrated too. I don't see how he's better than Heikki, just because Kovalainen isn't the best in the world himself.

I'm not sure he's quite on almost title-winner Massa's level, or even Sutil's just yet, but I put him close to that. Kamui has less experience, so more scope to improve and overtake these twos' current form.

I admit I don't really like this perception that being a 'spectacular' driver seems to gain them about 0.3sec per lap. It was the same with Montoya, lauded to the skies as better than Schumacher, similar to Senna etc. If you look at the simple facts though, and 5.5 years is enough of a sample, he was very good, but not great. Certainly not on the level of Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen. I'd say Button/Webber/Massa level really.

The fact is, he wasn't quite as good as Perez. Consider Sergio's Melbourne race, Malaysia, Spain, Canada, Britain, Monza in particular. His highlights were higher than Kobayashi's which says a lot. Also, Sergio did this on less experience and being younger. And if Sergio was slightly underwhelming at McLaren, why does Kobayashi deserve a Ferrari seat (AHEAD OF HULKENBERG for crying out loud), as so many people believe?

It was also the same for Nigel Mansell, proclaimed to be "the best driver in the world" - and this was when Senna and Prost were still around!!

longisland
21st January 2014, 01:14
Congrats to Koba! I still maintained that it would be better off for the fans if he's in a competitive car in DTM rather than driving an off-pace Caterham in F1.

rjbetty
21st January 2014, 02:21
Congrats to Koba! I still maintained that it would be better off for the fans if he's in a competitive car in DTM rather than driving an off-pace Caterham in F1.

Ah, so, he is not getting the Caterham drive now?

Tazio
21st January 2014, 02:55
rj I don'tthink I ned to remind you that kamui is a poor mans Montoya!

acescribe
21st January 2014, 08:41
He will be announced as a Caterham driver later on today...

RS
21st January 2014, 10:12
I don't see how he's better than Heikki, just because Kovalainen isn't the best in the world himself.

Because he is willing to bring some money...

steveaki13
21st January 2014, 17:22
Thread Title: The real reason Kobayashi wont return to F1

Answer: Well actually he will, with Caterham. :p

Time to close the thread. :o