PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye and thanks Mr Webber!

henners88
21st November 2013, 09:10
With Brazil being Mark Webber's last race, I thought it would be cool to have a thread to remember the highs of his F1 career. He's achieved more than a lot of drivers do in F1 and can leave the sport satisfied I think. It would be great to see him out qualify Seb and win the race on merit. I'd be happy even if Seb moved over for him saying that. A final tribute to a team mate that kept him honest in terms of pure speed despite the age gap. I hope his last race is one to remember and not a Coulthard-first corner style swan song!

Cheers Mark :)

555-04Q2
21st November 2013, 09:25
Cheers Mark :beer: :wave:

AndyL
21st November 2013, 12:01
He has had more high points in his career than any other driver I can think of, and I mean "high (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8784683.stm)" literally (http://www.mulsannescorner.com/benzCLR1.html) there :)

555-04Q2
21st November 2013, 12:59
Flying Scotsmen? No way, it's flying Bruce's more like! :p: :D

Mia 01
21st November 2013, 14:48
I will miss him! One of the few straight and honest driver left in F1.

Tazio
21st November 2013, 15:15
Cheers mate, see you in the funny papers dude!

The Black Knight
21st November 2013, 15:35
I'm going to miss Mark. He's one of my favorite drivers and a really honest guy. I feel that it's tragic he is leaving the sport without one win under his belt this year and a championship under his belt another. But I'd rather that than he have done a Jenson on it and been gifted a championship. As for the last race, if there is any justice in the world, he will win it after Malaysia. He deserves one final win!

N. Jones
21st November 2013, 16:59
I wonder how honest he is going to be once he is out of Red Bull's grip?

jens
21st November 2013, 17:50
Good driver. Career that roughly consists of two halves. 2002-2008 punching above his weight in midfield, including some stunning qualifying laps. At that time rated as a driver, who could potentially challenge for WDC in the right car. 2009-2013 the right car finally arrives as does the strongest team-mate he has ever faced. Lots of podiums and good results, but now viewed as "underperforming" compared to the first phase.

One of the main weaknesses I can see is that he seems a bit allergic to fragile tyres. From 02-08 period his worst season was 2005, when you had to drive the whole race on one set of tyres. Also he lost performance since the switch to Pirelli in 2011, finishing far behind Vettel in the championship every season compared to 2009-2010, when it was close.

A pity that the last season hasn't paint his abilities in the best light as he is far-far behind Vettel in the points. But that seems to be the usual story - drivers are usually already on a decline in their final season, that's why they retire. However, do we know anybody, who has exited F1 with a win? Alan Jones won the last race of 1981 and then retired (though came back a few years later). Mansell won at Adelaide in 1994, but of course he still went on to participate in two races for McLaren. Häkkinen won 2001 US GP, but it wasn't quite the last race. Winning your last race would be a unique achievement, considering mostly drivers are on a low while going out and retire with disappointing results.

henners88
21st November 2013, 18:26
I'm looking forward to his book (if that happens) when he reveals details of Red Bull behind the scenes. Hopefully it'll contain things he is unable to discuss right now for PR reasons.

To be honest I don't think Webber's heart has been in this season. I think he's just seeing out his contract and focusing on his Porsche duties which start the Monday after Brazil. It's cool to see Red Bull have released him from his contract early but it's within both parties best interests I suppose.

Dave B
21st November 2013, 21:13
Mark's an exceptionally good driver, but will sadly never be considered one of F1's greats. He's pulled off some phenomenal drives in his career, mind, and has earned a reputation for straight talking and calling a spade a spade. And let's not forget his tireless charity work behind the scenes.

I've been lucky enough to meet him and have a brief chat, and he seemed like a thoroughly down-to-earth bloke. He's made a great contribution to F1, and I shall indeed be rooting for him in Brazil. No chance of Vettel gifting him the win, though, he's got his own record to aim for; and anyway would Mark really want to win in such circumstances. I'd love to see the RBR drivers go wheel-to-wheel with no team orders, and for the Aussie to win on merit.

steveaki13
21st November 2013, 22:40
Good Luck Mark.

Have enjoyed his honesty and spirit.

One of my fondest memories of Mark, is that first race in Oz 2002. Those last laps battling Salo in the Toyota were magic.

I look forward to seeing him in a Porsche next year.

big_sw2000
21st November 2013, 23:24
I wonder how honest he is going to be once he is out of Red Bull's grip?

He wont be out of Red Bull's grip. He's taking Red Bull sponsorship with him too Porsche

Steve

webberf1
22nd November 2013, 01:01
He's definitely picked the right time to retire. I'm thankful for many great memories he's given me, and will also laugh off the times he made me pull my hair out (usually because he was so shocking off the start line throughout his entire career, or for simply being a magnet for bad car reliability :laugh: ) .

Webber deserves to be remembered as a fierce competitor, a fair sportsman, and a genuine talent. You only have to look at some of his early-career stunning qualifying performances, or races like Nurburgring 2009, and Spain, Monaco and Britain 2010 that he genuinely had the ability to totally dominate races and leave everyone else (including Vettel) scratching their heads.

Sadly, the incoming high-degradation Pirelli tyres were the opposite of what suited him, and with declining mojo relative to Vettel (who has totally gone up another level) in the last few years his best racing is far behind him. Nevertheless, I think he'll do great in sportscars and I wish him well.

EDIT: One thing I don't expect is a total bitch-out over Christian Horner and Sebastien Vettel once he leaves F1. Maybe some words will be said here and there when prompted by a reporter looking for those responses. But really, he's already said all that needs to be said. He's not a bitter individual. He's straightforward and honest, and will be thinking of more important things in his new chapter of life.

henners88
22nd November 2013, 09:08
I also met Mark in Cardiff in 2011 very briefly. He signed a program I was holding and I said 'good luck for the rest of that season', to which he said 'cheers mate' lol. I was also quite drunk after previously drinking 5 Desperado's in bar Cwtch before we went in :p Very brief but watching him with the fans he comes across as a nice guy.

It would be cool to see Webber slap it down the inside at turn one in Brazil and make Seb lose a few positions, before holding onto his lead and winning his final race. I can't see him out qualify the mighty Seb so a bit of ruthless overtaking would be nice to see.

I think my funniest memory of Webber is Fuji 2007 when Seb ran into the back of him. Seb was well into his crashkid status by then and was trying to prove himself when the accident happened. Louise Goodman asked him what happened and he replied

'Kids isn't it?...... You do a good job and they come along and 'chuff' it all up!...
Funny straight talking blips I miss from the likes of Webber and Coulthard lol. They didn't seem forced like some of the recent slip ups we've seen on the podium recently. Naughty Kimi lol.

555-04Q2
22nd November 2013, 11:15
I wonder how Webber feels, you know, seeing as a kid has been cleaning him up! :p:

airshifter
23rd November 2013, 11:46
At earlier points in his career I thought Mark was one of the most dangerous guys on track, defending well beyond the rules and common sense. Thankfully he grew out of that stage and into a really clean racer. I don't see him going down as one of the greats in the sport, but he certainly has shown he can have some really fast days, and at Formula 1 level they are all drivers at the top of the talent list IMO.

As for personality, he comes across as never biting his tongue much and saying what he wants to say. Overall I guess I'll remember him in much the same way as Coulthard, a really good driver who had to team up with a really great driver at the peak of his career. And in much the same sense, a guy easy to like and seemingly down to earth considering the level of these guys.

Doc Austin
23rd November 2013, 16:25
Matchet said something interesting about Mark leaving the best team in F1 to go to the best team in sportscars. Since Mansell left Williams, I can't remember any other winning F1 driver going on to such a good opportunity.

Webber is still young enough to have a very complete sportscar career, and his odds of winning LeMans have got to be considered pretty good. From there, perhaps he can take a look at Indycars and maybe win the 500 too. Along with his Monoco wins, that would put him in pretty elusive company.

Oh, yeah............. let's hope it pours all weekend and maybe that will shake up the order. I really like Vettel, but the endless dominance is getting pretty old.

edv
23rd November 2013, 18:34
Enjoyed watching him in F1 these past years.
Oddly enough, my vivid memory of Webber will always be the LeMans Flip in the Mercedes.

journeyman racer
23rd November 2013, 22:58
Oddly enough, my vivid memory of Webber will always be the LeMans Flip in the Mercedes.It's odd that it is your strongest memory of him because it wasn't even him! :eek: :D

Unless, you were there and saw it live? Otherwise, Peter Dumbreck will be disappointed to read your post.

rjbetty
24th November 2013, 01:49
My memories of Mark were all his qualifying laps throughout his early years for Jaguar and Williams - they were for the most part brilliant.

He would have got pole at Interlagos 2003 but for an over-eager late error. He also lined up 3rd at the Hungaroring.

In 2004, he qualified 2nd in Malaysia, but come the race he got a shocking start... Hey, hang on a minute there!

In 2005, he demolished Heidfeld at Williams, in qualifying anyway - Nick had the upper hand in races. Webber started 3rd at the Nurburgring which fuel-corrected would have put him on pole ahead of the McLarens and Renaults. Given Heidfeld finished only a few seconds off the win and Mark was far faster throughout, it's no wonder he called it "the one that got away". (He collided with Montoya at the first corner and was out)

2006 was more impressive in my view, especially Melbourne where he led and was on course to finish 3rd, and most of all Monaco where he drove on a knife-edge to race for the win in a straight fight with Alonso and Raikkonen, only to retire (for recent F1 fans, some cars used to experience mechanical failures during a race and not be able to finish - this was known as a "DNF" (Did Not Finish))

From 2007 onwards, he very impressively ran rings around DC in qualifying, and was 7th best qualifier in '07!

henners88
24th November 2013, 08:39
Oddly enough, my vivid memory of Webber will always be the LeMans Flip in the Mercedes.
God yeah I remember that well. Just watched a vid on YouTube of Webber talking about that crash and how he fought to try and keep the front end down as it started to lift! The fact he flipped on two occasions was horrifying. The Mercedes was very well built for the time regarding impact protection but the rear wings needed at least a bit of testing lol. Webbers team mate Peter Dumbreck had a spectacular flip too I seem to remember during that race. A lucky escape considering the car landed upside down on top of tree stumps.

ShiftingGears
24th November 2013, 11:25
There's been some good times watching him race. I will miss having him on the grid, hopefully he can win at Interlagos. It's a bit of a shame that F1 has been more about tyre preservation than driving flat out, because as jens mentioned, it is not Mark's greatest asset as a driver.

Tazio
24th November 2013, 13:44
:wave:

Mark
24th November 2013, 17:50
Loved him driving helmetless at the end.

steveaki13
24th November 2013, 17:57
Amazing. I have never seen that before. Does anyone know if that's going to earn him a fine?

AndyL
24th November 2013, 18:02
Amazing. I have never seen that before. Does anyone know if that's going to earn him a fine?

If the stewards have any sort of sense of humour they'll give him a 5-place grid penalty for the next race.

steveaki13
24th November 2013, 18:10

If the stewards have any sort of sense of humour they'll give him a 5-place grid penalty for the next race.

:laugh:

henners88
24th November 2013, 19:27
Loved Webber taking his helmet off at the end to feel the wind in his hair for the last time in an F1 car. Not a bad way to sign off his F1 career with an excellent second place. :)

jens
24th November 2013, 20:26
Loved Webber taking his helmet off at the end to feel the wind in his hair for the last time in an F1 car. Not a bad way to sign off his F1 career with an excellent second place. :)

Good ending of a career.:) It is often sad that the last races of drivers end in disappointment - in crashes or in general invisibility. So for once it is good to see someone ending up on the podium fully knowing that this was indeed his last race and celebrate properly.:)

Mia 01
24th November 2013, 22:06
I will miss him even moore after this race.

aryan
25th November 2013, 04:17
The race was such typical Webber, really bad start, some great overtaking moves (one on Hamilton and two on Alonso nonetheless) and some great fast laps with the fastest lap, but unable to match or beat Vettel.

He went out in style, and in form. Unlike say Barrichello who never accepted when the time had come, or many others (DC etc) who crashed in their last race.

And let's not forget that he was *this* close to being WDC in 2010 and was ahead of Vettel for nearly all of the season. Alas...

He won't be remembered as one of the F1's greatest, but he certainly was a great driver who achieved more than most. His sense of humour and "straight" talk made him a very popular character in the paddock and among the fans, and he will surely be missed. Well done Mark, and good luck.

Storm
25th November 2013, 04:59
I never really warmed to this guy (you can say most Aussies in sport apart from Warnie and Gilchrist) but I must say he was a tough, honest and talented racing driver. Perhaps could have won more in a different era/team. Still a good F1 career even though it took a while to get going.

Horner could have curbed his lovefest with Vettel a bit at the end and perhaps given Mark a better send-off?

Finski
25th November 2013, 07:12
Gonna miss him. Looking forward to following him next year tho :)

henners88
25th November 2013, 08:57
I never really warmed to this guy (you can say most Aussies in sport apart from Warnie and Gilchrist) but I must say he was a tough, honest and talented racing driver. Perhaps could have won more in a different era/team. Still a good F1 career even though it took a while to get going.

Horner could have curbed his lovefest with Vettel a bit at the end and perhaps given Mark a better send-off?
I think Horner's behaviour at the end highlighted perfectly why Mark made his decision and I'm glad it ended that way.

acescribe
25th November 2013, 09:34
I'm now starting to feel old. Mark is only a year older than I am and I was right there, at his first GP in Melbourne when he finished fifth in the Minardi and the partisan Aussie's almost dragged him to the podium. It was a great moment though, it doesn't seem almost 12 years ago, but sadly it is.

He is a good, ordinary bloke and his sound-bites will be missed from F1.

acescribe
25th November 2013, 09:37

I think Horner's behaviour at the end highlighted perfectly why Mark made his decision and I'm glad it ended that way.

Yes, I thought the same but then Mark is the last of the "non" Red Bull drivers in the Red Bull team if that makes sense. That said, I'm sure it will be no different next year.

ShiftingGears
25th November 2013, 10:48
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8960964.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/16-vettel-gt.jpg

555-04Q2
25th November 2013, 11:15
Ahhhhhh, wind in the hair :) At least he has hair. If it had been me it would have been wind on the ever expanding bald spot :p:

JasonPotato
25th November 2013, 11:25
Get Clarkson in the second seat at RB! I want to see how mashed up his face would look driving that with no helmet :D

AndyL
25th November 2013, 12:00
some great overtaking moves (one on Hamilton and two on Alonso nonetheless) and some great fast laps with the fastest lap

I can imagine some big smiles from people at Porsche watching those passes.

Eunos
26th November 2013, 12:06
See you around Mark :)

I liked the guy and wasn't a bad racer.

2010 really was his one shot at ever becoming Formula 1 world Champion.

Shame it didn't happen but there you go.

Good luck in sports cars :)

Spinx450
27th November 2013, 20:01
I have watched F1 all these years, purely because I am an F1 fan, not a driver fan.

However, with that being said, things simply won't be the same without Mark - A great sportsman, true professional, nice guy .. and GENTLEMAN.

All the best for the future Mark. Hope the smiles return in a sport that respects you!!!