PDA

View Full Version : IRL-Nextel Cup Shared Weekend DOA

weeflyonthewall
11th April 2007, 22:27
Did open wheel fans really think this was going to happen?

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=2832110

There's always ARCA if Tony wants to try that avenue.

MarcoCheever
12th April 2007, 11:36
I think any fan knew it wasn't going to happen no way nascar would allow a better race to take place on a Saturday. Robin Miller covered this recently on WindTunnel

weeflyonthewall
12th April 2007, 17:19
I think any fan knew it wasn't going to happen no way nascar would allow a better race to take place on a Saturday. Robin Miller covered this recently on WindTunnel

That's why they created Grand-AM. It didn't deliver.

NoFender
12th April 2007, 20:00
I think all races (except the 500) should be run on Sat night anyway, and being next to a Cup race would do huge things for AOW. It's too bad it didn't happen.I'd say there's still a chance though, amybe not under those circumstances, but there's blocks there to build on.

Toe_Knee_Jorge
12th April 2007, 20:35
yep no way nascar folk would let a faster, better, shorter (in duration) race happen on the same weekend. Those 6 hour nascar fests are fun but a little time consuming

indycool
12th April 2007, 21:28
If you read the column, the idea didn't look like it went very far in the first place. The reasons are itemized by Blount. The idea was PROBABLY generated when ISC moved for second Cup dates at Texas, California and Phoenix that made winter/weather timing too close for the IRL races to continue.

It's not even the first time the idea came about. Back in the '80s, when Cup was finishing up in Atlanta and CART had rented the track in the past to no avail, there was talk of ending BOTH series in Atlanta the same weekend. It went nowhere.

Blount makes it sound like Barnes thought it had a chance or that the IRL had tried pretty hard for it lately. I doubt it.

Lee Roy
13th April 2007, 01:43

NASCAR isn't the series that wants to glom onto to another series because it can't get anyone to come to the track or watch it on TV.

mikeearle
13th April 2007, 03:20
The best option, not that it would ever happen, is to have ChampCar and the IRL share a weekend. Two openwheel top series on the same track on the same weekend. Never will happen but makes far more sense than the Nascar/IRL dream. Tony would have an issue with the CC's being faster in terms of lap time and KK would not consider anything but top billing. Hmmmm, seems to me there is an oval track that runs one big NA OW race per year that also has a road course.. perhaps the I500 on Sunday and the ChampCars on Saturday on the road course... now even I as a staunch CC fan would go see that weekend.

oh the dreams that are possible but improbable :)

tbyars
13th April 2007, 13:48

No. Did you?

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2007, 23:23
NASCAR doesn't want ANYONE at the same track as them putting on a show that could appeal and steal fans. When Trans AM used to run with them at Watkins Glen, a friend of mine in timing and scoring said the NASCAR volunteer timers had no idea what Trans AM was about, and they couldn't believe how Trans AM cars were about 10mph faster average just in the warmups than the Winston Cup cars. They were just naive and cranky that anything might be more spectacular and fast than their Cup cars. Trans AM was not back after a few years. NASCAR does like to be the main show, and the IRL is just different enough and spectacular enough to be considered a main show of their own. It is why they have rarely worked with anyone, and regardless of the success or failure of the other supporting events, they like things their way, and they don't want the hint of another form of racing even close to theirs if they think it can steal fans. Even when the other series doesn't really draw (Champ Car and the IRL have both worked with the Craftsman truck at various times haven't they?)

tstran17_88
18th April 2007, 18:35

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=2832110

There's always ARCA if Tony wants to try that avenue.Chicagoland in September has always been an ARCA/IRL weekend. IMO, ARCA is better suited for smaller tracks than 1 1/2 miles. The Chicago ARCA race is some of the more boring racing I've witnessed.

tstran17_88
18th April 2007, 18:38
(Champ Car and the IRL have both worked with the Craftsman truck at various times haven't they?)The CTS and the IRL share the same weekend at Kansas Speedway. Not sure if the CTS ever shared a weekend with Champ Car?

ZzZzZz
18th April 2007, 19:38
NASCAR doesn't want ANYONE at the same track as them putting on a show that could appeal and steal fans. When Trans AM used to run with them at Watkins Glen, a friend of mine in timing and scoring said the NASCAR volunteer timers had no idea what Trans AM was about, and they couldn't believe how Trans AM cars were about 10mph faster average just in the warmups than the Winston Cup cars. They were just naive and cranky that anything might be more spectacular and fast than their Cup cars. Trans AM was not back after a few years. NASCAR does like to be the main show, and the IRL is just different enough and spectacular enough to be considered a main show of their own. It is why they have rarely worked with anyone, and regardless of the success or failure of the other supporting events, they like things their way, and they don't want the hint of another form of racing even close to theirs if they think it can steal fans. Even when the other series doesn't really draw (Champ Car and the IRL have both worked with the Craftsman truck at various times haven't they?)

NASCAR *coincidentally* ended their relationship with the SCCA after SCCA officials complained about people smoking in the pits. (This is when Winston was the sponsor.)

weeflyonthewall
19th April 2007, 00:53
The CTS and the IRL share the same weekend at Kansas Speedway. Not sure if the CTS ever shared a weekend with Champ Car?

A few. Fontana, Las Vegas, .....

BobbyC
24th April 2007, 18:11
A few. Fontana, Las Vegas, .....

CC and NCT actually ended their seasons on this weekend a few times, and the 2001 CC/NCT race meet was the one where CC had authorities pull a 16-year old driver out of the NCT garage because of requests by Marlboro and Kool.

As for that 16-year old driver, he got his revenge when he won his first NNC pole and NNC race at the very same circuit, less than four years later.

call_me_andrew
29th April 2007, 01:25
Stealing fans? I think someone thinks a little too highly of himself.

I remember when CC held a race right after a NCTS race ended. Fans could be seen leaving before the CC race began.

Sandfly
29th April 2007, 02:30
Stealing fans? I think someone thinks a little too highly of himself.

I remember when CC held a race right after a NCTS race ended. Fans could be seen leaving before the CC race began.

I was there. Part of the problem was that CC had the wrong PA announcer-

As soon as the truck festivities ended - JEREMY SHAW came to the mike and started talking about stirling moss and road racing history and the place evacuated. Nothing against Jeremy - who is a great writer and an oustounding announcer for the international feed -- But Jeremy was way too much tea and crumpets for the Las vegas truck crowd.

You may think that is ridiculous - but i guaranttee you taht if some truck souding PA annoiuncer came in and started working the crowd - many would have stayed just for the show..

That is one of CC's problems - they really don't understand how they fit into the world of motorsport and they do not go out of the way to help different "groups" feel part of the program. They really need to have a seperate "redneck" feed with a couple of southern announcers that can 'splain that road racin' to 'em.