PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP

Soalstar
10th November 2013, 15:24
Today we have seen the last MotoGP on the BBC.
With F1 only being half a season and now the bikes gone, does the BBC imagine they will have any sports fan viewers left?
Sadly, I can't afford any of the pay to view companies and we don't have fibre optic broadband in our area, so my viewing is pretty curtailed.
Sorry state of affairs

webberf1
11th November 2013, 20:11
You will win.

Warriwa
14th November 2013, 04:40
Fucking tragedy. That is not the way to ensure the sport grows or increase a fan base.

henners88
14th November 2013, 09:01
MotoGP will fade even more than it has in recent years now. I can watch it next season as I have BT Broadband, but I very much doubt I will very often. Its easy to hit record and watch it at your leisure but when you have to log in to an app and watch on an iPad its just isn't as convenient. Much like the whole F1 on Sky. The viewing figures for that are bordering on appalling and people like me who could watch on Sky Go simply don't because its far easier to watch highlights on the BBC. I'm half expecting the F1 coverage to be dropped in the next couple of years too and that will be a sad day. Places like this will have less posters too because there is no point debating circumstances of a race if we haven't seen it.

These days if you want sport you have to pay silly amounts a month to watch it. With the country still in recession and finances tight in many households, people would just rather spend that cash on more important things. I know an awful lot of people who cancelled their Sky subscriptions when the last football season ended. They must be losing a hell of a lot of customers with these prices. BT should learn from that too!

555-04Q2
14th November 2013, 12:46
The problem is there is so much money involved in sport these days that they have to go the pay channel route. What is the worst thing that ever happened to sport? That's right, professionalism! Instead of being a pastime to exercise and have fun after work and on the weekends and the pride of playing for your country, now it has become a massive career/job market for the competitors and with it comes the unwarranted huge salaries and escalating costs :(

henners88
14th November 2013, 13:30
The problem is there is so much money involved in sport these days that they have to go the pay channel route. What is the worst thing that ever happened to sport? That's right, professionalism! Instead of being a pastime to exercise and have fun after work and on the weekends and the pride of playing for your country, now it has become a massive career/job market for the competitors and with it comes the unwarranted huge salaries and escalating costs :(
That is right to a degree but with F1, much of the money doesn't go to the actual sport itself. It lines the pockets of middle men like Bernie who have got very rich promoting an already great product. Hopefully when he falls to his knee's one day, his successor along with a shaken up non-corrupt FIA (I dream lol) will actually share the wealth and make the sport available to as many fans as possible, regardless of class standing. With long proposed budget caps still being discussed, the money needed to participate in future should be less anyway. They want to save money but make more at the expense of people watching as far as I can see. If it goes fully pay to view in the UK, I won't be paying for it. I'll shift my interest on to something more worthy and focus more on local motorsport without the greedy politics.

555-04Q2
14th November 2013, 13:35
That is right to a degree but with F1, much of the money doesn't go to the actual sport itself. It lines the pockets of middle men like Bernie who have got very rich promoting an already great product. Hopefully when he falls to his knee's one day, his successor along with a shaken up non-corrupt FIA (I dream lol) will actually share the wealth and make the sport available to as many fans as possible, regardless of class standing. With long proposed budget caps still being discussed, the money needed to participate in future should be less anyway. They want to save money but make more at the expense of people watching as far as I can see. If it goes fully pay to view in the UK, I won't be paying for it. I'll shift my interest on to something more worthy and focus more on local motorsport without the greedy politics.

Yeah money is ruining some sports. I remember when doctors and lawyers played rugby on a Saturday and worked the rest of the week. They even had to buy their own kit!!! Nowadays sportsman are sponsored for everything. They used to play for the love of the game, not the payday.

I know that in the old days of motorsports teams paid for their racing with car/bike sales or raised the money themselves. There were no major sponsors back then. How times have changed!