PDA

View Full Version : Aussies - help please

webberf1
8th November 2013, 06:54
Where would you say is the best place to buy a new Apple laptop?

555-04Q2
8th November 2013, 07:25
At an Apple Store ;) :p:

webberf1
8th November 2013, 09:02
Unlikely. Those stores rarely have the best prices for their own products - and that's not surprising when they have a customer:staff ratio of about 3:1.

henners88
8th November 2013, 09:09
Do you guys have John Lewis in Australia?
They supply extended warranties with laptops, iPads etc that they honour. Over here Apple sell iPhones, MacBooks, iPads etc all with a one year limited warranty. They are supposed to be 2 years under EU law, but Apple do their best to get out of that with a lot of hassle. I know people who have had to fight tooth and nail to get iPhones repaired after 14 months, because Apple say its out of warranty. I know John Lewis advertise 2 years on all repairs if products are defective through normal use and are a lot less hassle to deal with. If you do have them over there, I would recommend. :)

555-04Q2
8th November 2013, 09:21
Unlikely. Those stores rarely have the best prices for their own products - and that's not surprising when they have a customer:staff ratio of about 3:1.

That surprises me! My internal electronic designer that designs all my company catalogues, brochures etc uses Apple's and she orders them from our local Apple iStore who are the best priced on the equipment :confused:

Rollo
8th November 2013, 12:50
Apple will sell you a Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.5GHz i5 With Retina Display for $1599.
Harvey Norman will see exactly the same device for $1499.

Places like Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi and even David Jones are usually cheaper than iStores.

Then again, it's probably just cheaper to go to Singapore on Tiger or Virgin and buy the same device over there and even if you included airfares and paid the import duties, it still might work out cheaper.

Basically shoes, computers, cars, fridges even digital downloads etc. all screw Australian consumers with additional charges which are colloquially called the "Australia Tax"
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/10/th ... ralia-tax/ (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/10/the-mac-pro-has-a-600-australia-tax/)

D-Type
8th November 2013, 23:12
Funny that. We feel the same in Britain. Whether it's laptops, other electronic goods, cars, booze, food, houses, clothes or whatever, there always seems to be somewhere else in the world where it's cheaper

555-04Q2
12th November 2013, 14:30
Funny that. We feel the same in Britain. Whether it's laptops, other electronic goods, cars, booze, food, houses, clothes or whatever, there always seems to be somewhere else in the world where it's cheaper

I often source things from the US. Amazingly, it is often cheaper to air freight in things from there then buying from our local suppliers! Crazy man, just plain old crazy!

webberf1
26th November 2013, 21:24
Just to let y'all know, I got my new 13 inch macbook pro for $800 in the end :devil:

Valve Bounce
4th December 2013, 19:56
Where would you say is the best place to buy a new Apple laptop?

Go to Costco and get yourself a Toshiba Ulrabook with i7 core. If you don't like it or if anything goes wrong, just take it back and get a refund. I've taken 3 laptops and one tablet back already.