PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket checkouts

Mark
8th October 2013, 13:40
Anyone tried the self-scan thing Tesco are doing at the moment? You register with your clubcard at the start then scan your items as you go and then pay at a self-checkout style thing at the end. The big advantage is that instead of putting everything into your trolley, and then having to unpack it all to put it onto a conveyer then have to pack it into bags - under time pressure - you put the items into your bags as you walk around. Then lift the bags into your car and away, much better.

It's not the first time this sort of thing has been tried, perhaps 15 years ago Safeway did a self scan thing but they got rid of it, perhaps the technology wasn't ready.

However I've often thought the whole checkout process is very old fashioned, even scanning barcodes. The technology exists for RFID chips to be in each item and as you go to the checkout each chip will talk to the checkout and tell you how much to pay.

D-Type
8th October 2013, 13:54
I rather liked the story of the bloke who put all his shopping through the self-service till as "loose onions" which are priced by weight. He was caught when a security guard looked at his bill and found it listed nothing but onions.
Not condoning what he did - but you have to admire his cheek. :cool:

BleAivano
8th October 2013, 14:49
we have had these type of checkouts for several years at some of the bigger supermarkets.

Starter
8th October 2013, 16:09
However I've often thought the whole checkout process is very old fashioned, even scanning barcodes. The technology exists for RFID chips to be in each item and as you go to the checkout each chip will talk to the checkout and tell you how much to pay.
I'm not sure RFIDs are the answer. For starters they are more expensive that printed barcodes. The effort in getting RFIDs on things like produce and individually packaged/weighed items like at the deli section, bakery and seafood areas would be an issue too.

Mark
8th October 2013, 16:13
Perhaps, but as they get cheaper, who knows? Anything where you don't have to go through the process of getting everything out of the trolley and then having to put it back in bags again, and queue up for the privilege.

Online shopping is just as much hassle, if not more!

J4MIE
8th October 2013, 22:13
But, Mark, isn't this what your wife is for? ;)

SGWilko
9th October 2013, 14:25
Anyone tried the self-scan thing Tesco are doing at the moment? You register with your clubcard at the start then scan your items as you go and then pay at a self-checkout style thing at the end. The big advantage is that instead of putting everything into your trolley, and then having to unpack it all to put it onto a conveyer then have to pack it into bags - under time pressure - you put the items into your bags as you walk around. Then lift the bags into your car and away, much better.

It's not the first time this sort of thing has been tried, perhaps 15 years ago Safeway did a self scan thing but they got rid of it, perhaps the technology wasn't ready.

It's a nice idea, but unless you pay for extra staff to check the contents of your bags against the bill, it could be open to abuse.

Starter
9th October 2013, 14:39
It's a nice idea, but unless you pay for extra staff to check the contents of your bags against the bill, it could be open to abuse.
The way its done here is that stores have one person assigned to the area to assist anyone having a problem. The savings in staff cost for manned checkouts more than covers the small amount of theft. The checkout also "knows" the weight of each item and when you place in in a bag, if the weight is not what it's supposed to be, then an alert comes up. They go with the idea that most people are honest and won't steal. They seem to be correct as automated checkouts are becoming much more common.

Mark
9th October 2013, 15:30
The way its done here is that stores have one person assigned to the area to assist anyone having a problem. The savings in staff cost for manned checkouts more than covers the small amount of theft. The checkout also "knows" the weight of each item and when you place in in a bag, if the weight is not what it's supposed to be, then an alert comes up. They go with the idea that most people are honest and won't steal. They seem to be correct as automated checkouts are becoming much more common.

Yeah, we've had automated checkouts for years too, the ones which weigh the items, I'm talking about the 'scan as you go' ones, where you scan the item and put it into your trolley, and that it, you don't get it out again until you get to your car.

Spafranco
9th October 2013, 16:05
I steer clear from those things. There is always a problem with a barcode or something that needs "PRICE CHECK" or the like. Then there is always someone who has 20,000 items and no credit card ready or checkbook. Coupons by the dozen on top of that.

SGWilko
9th October 2013, 16:18
It's a gimmick by the big chains - they say they do it to make OUR lives easier, but actually, it's a tool to shed staff, save money, and let them concentrate on screwing local producers for every penny!

veeten
9th October 2013, 19:54
Yeah, I've used those, similar to the ones at the home improvement/hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.). It's easier, especially if you have a couple of small items or large but light ones. Just scan, bag 'em up, pay, and off you go. Easy-peasy. :)

For larger items, a checker is necessary to scan the box, like a replacement water heater. Try dragging THAT over the scan window... :p

Dave B
11th October 2013, 20:35
My local Tesco Metro is mainly frequented by the elderly, and consequently the self-serve checkouts are nearly always deserted. I far prefer them to waiting for some befuddled old dear to fumble for her purse (it apparently being a surprise that payment is required), then to search through dozens of coupons (many of which will have expired).

For the big weekly shop, that's what t'internet is for.

henners88
12th October 2013, 00:13
Sainsburys have done self scan for 15 or so years. You scan your Reward card and pick up a scanner which is then used to scan your shopping as you go round. They have dedicated checkouts where you just hand the scanner in, pay, and then leave. Speeds things up greatly. Sadly my nearest Sainsburys is about 15 miles away plus Asda and Tesco are a lot cheaper :)

Parabolica
13th October 2013, 16:12
Anything to make the check-out process easier, eh?

I'm beginning to suspect the owner of this site uses a pseudonym, and that his real name is Anthony Worrall Thompson.

We know your game, Sonny!!

Book him, Danno.

Rollo
15th October 2013, 00:19
Unexpected Item in the bagging area WHAT?!

I'm a bloke. I don't have a handbag; I don't have a ruddy great purse; I don't have anything expect SHOPPING. What else d'ya think I'm jolly well going to put "in the bagging area"?

And why can't I just put my money in after I've bought one item? Why do they make us paw at the screen like some irritated cat? No I don't have a "loyalty" card; no I don't have Fly Buys; no I don't have petrol dockets. All I want to do is buy my ONE newspaper and get out.
In the olden days, I could just leave my shiny golden coin on the counter-top and a till operator would put that away. I don't want to have to play a silly game of pressing buttons just so I can read the latest ramblings from Mr Fairfax or Mr Murdoch's minions.

555-04Q2
15th October 2013, 07:20
Unexpected Item in the bagging area WHAT?!

I'm a bloke. I don't have a handbag; I don't have a ruddy great purse; I don't have anything expect SHOPPING. What else d'ya think I'm jolly well going to put "in the bagging area"?

And why can't I just put my money in after I've bought one item? Why do they make us paw at the screen like some irritated cat? No I don't have a "loyalty" card; no I don't have Fly Buys; no I don't have petrol dockets. All I want to do is buy my ONE newspaper and get out.
In the olden days, I could just leave my shiny golden coin on the counter-top and a till operator would put that away. I don't want to have to play a silly game of pressing buttons just so I can read the latest ramblings from Mr Fairfax or Mr Murdoch's minions.

Someone has shopping rage :p: :D

Parabolica
15th October 2013, 13:48
UNEXPECTED ITEM.....IN THE BAGGING AREA!!

That has to be the tag line to a truly dire Horror film.

Mark
15th October 2013, 15:16
Sainsburys have done self scan for 15 or so years.

Not at any of the ones around here they don't.

henners88
15th October 2013, 17:32

They do exist though Mark. Maybe in the larger Sainsburys. I know my local Sainsburys where I used to live introduced self scan devices in the late 90's. You walk in, swipe your reward card and a device becomes free with your reward card number. You just walk around and scan the items before you put them in your trolley and then you go to the fast track checkout at the end. You hand the device over to the cashier at the checkout and pay like you would normally. It's all very trusting but obviously works if it's still in place after 15 years.

Mark
16th October 2013, 16:40

They do exist though Mark. Maybe in the larger Sainsburys. I know my local Sainsburys where I used to live introduced self scan devices in the late 90's. You walk in, swipe your reward card and a device becomes free with your reward card number. You just walk around and scan the items before you put them in your trolley and then you go to the fast track checkout at the end. You hand the device over to the cashier at the checkout and pay like you would normally. It's all very trusting but obviously works if it's still in place after 15 years.

I don't doubt it :). Just that it must be a local thing to you. I've seen that in a Sainsbury's branch and I've been to a few.

steveaki13
17th October 2013, 22:38
The amount of people I see placing light things on the bagging area and then have to wait for the person to save them.

Just push down so the sensor can read it.

kapparomeo
20th October 2013, 14:17
I suppose my main niggle with self-service checkouts is when you are only picking up some small odds and ends and you want to drop them in your own bag or satchel - the weight sensors don't like that, so you have to put them down and pick them up again with your bag on the floor. It's a minor thing but it does add a further delay when self-service checkouts are meant to maximise speed.

Mark
21st October 2013, 11:54
The amount of people I see placing light things on the bagging area and then have to wait for the person to save them.

Just push down so the sensor can read it.

Had that problem before. Especially buying sponges which are very light. Solved by pushing down each one.

steveaki13
21st October 2013, 23:20
Yer. I figured that out eventually too. Now I just smerk at everyone struggling. It can be quite annoying though if you have a lot of smaller items.

Also the repeating beep beep beep. It sends me made. Cant they tone it down a bit.

henners88
22nd October 2013, 09:31
I use them most days, but they do often play up. When you've only got a few items I'd much rather go through the self serve, especially first thing in the morning when conversation is a major task in itself.

rjbetty
31st October 2013, 17:08
Ah the self-scan checkouts...

You know, I'm actually fine with these. The Sainsbury and Asda ones are great and so easy, as is the Tesco one. The only one that's consistently a problem are the Morrisons ones!

I used to work at Tesco on the tills so I know a thing or two about how they work. But the Morrisons self-service tills are by far the worst, and the slowest. Oh boy.

My biggest bug-bear is getting the carrier bags open though... :( I've also had coins get jammed in the machine on more than one occasion as I use the opportunity to get rid of all my small change.

henners88
31st October 2013, 18:26
The Morrisons ones are terrible I quite agree! The Asda and Tesco ones look similar so I think they use the same software. The Morrisons ones look like they were designed by Ken Morrison himself.

Mark
31st October 2013, 20:34
Tesco, ASDA, Sainsburys, Marks & Spencer all use the same tills and software supplied by NCR (National Cash Registers), and they work well.

Morrisons is the major exception using Seimens devices which are absolutely awful. Every time I go to a supermarket I'll use the self checkout. But Morrisons is the one where I'll make an exception and use the proper tills even if it means waiting longer.

J4MIE
1st November 2013, 01:02
My biggest bug-bear is getting the carrier bags open though... :(

I have this issue sorted after much practice :D

1) Lick one finger
2) place said finger on front of hung bag, at the top, in the middle
3) Quickly swipe down

You now have a bag hanging open ready to accept your items :bounce:

Thank me later ;)

555-04Q2
1st November 2013, 05:52

1) Lick one finger
3) Quickly swipe down

Thank me later ;)

You're a professional bagger then :shock: Never knew we had that kind of talent on the forum :p: :D

SGWilko
5th November 2013, 17:06

1) Lick one finger
3) Quickly swipe down

Thank me later ;)

You're a professional bagger then :shock: Never knew we had that kind of talent on the forum :p: :D

What!!! You don't all use your 'Bag for Life'?????

steveaki13
5th November 2013, 17:54
I have someone to bag my items for me. :burp: :stareup:

henners88
5th November 2013, 18:05
Having to pay 5p a bag in every single shop can be annoying, especially when you have bags but forget to take them with you. Even fast food places charge you for a paper bag now and I've noticed Asda and Tesco have reduced the quality of the carrier bags now you have to pay for them.

steveaki13
5th November 2013, 18:07
I once had some shopping put into 2 bags, but the checkout person. He then stated that would be 10p extra. I then said I did not ask for the bag and so asked him to take it all out again, and put it in my back pack.

henners88
5th November 2013, 18:16
I should be used to it as the law was changed 2 years ago, not sure about England? Exactly Steve they should ask before they start packing really but some don't and just assume you'll pay at the end. I usually get asked and then realise the boot of my car is full of the buggers. I'll never change though :)

Mark
6th November 2013, 10:18
Supermarkets charge now? Never noticed that one and it's only been a week since I was getting bags for free at Tesco...

In any case once they start charging 5p per bag then you'll only forget your bags for life a few times and you won't do it again ;)

henners88
6th November 2013, 10:23
Supermarkets charge now? Never noticed that one and it's only been a week since I was getting bags for free at Tesco...

In any case once they start charging 5p per bag then you'll only forget your bags for life a few times and you won't do it again ;)
Having checked it seems it is only Wales that charge in every single shop for carrier bags. We've had that now for 2 years and its a bit like the smoking ban. They trial it in Wales and then the rest of the UK follows if it is successful. If you don't take your own bags with you when you shop, it becomes pretty expensive over time!

555-04Q2
6th November 2013, 14:08
Over here we get charged for plastic bags at every store now as well. Its called a bag tax of all things and the money goes to the corruption department...I mean our government :p: At first they were about 10 cents a bag, now its 40 - 50 cents a bag.

The bag tax on plastic bags was supposed to stop/deter people throwing their bags on the floor (the standing joke is the plastic bag has become our national flower!) but in fact a study carried out about 2 years ago said that bag pollution had actually increased!!!! So much for that idea working :p: :crazy:

BleAivano
7th November 2013, 00:10
Over here we get charged for plastic bags at every store now as well. Its called a bag tax of all things and the money goes to the corruption department...I mean our government :p: At first they were about 10 cents a bag, now its 40 - 50 cents a bag.

The bag tax on plastic bags was supposed to stop/deter people throwing their bags on the floor (the standing joke is the plastic bag has become our national flower!) but in fact a study carried out about 2 years ago said that bag pollution had actually increased!!!! So much for that idea working :p: :crazy:

In Sweden the supermarkts charge for the plastic (and paper) bags aswell.
I think the plastics cost 2SEK each (£0.2) while the larger paper bags (with handles) cots 5SEK (£0.5).

Personally I rarely buy them though as I usually uses my backpack when going to supermarket,
it's only a 10min walk so I don't really buy that much each time.