PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis 500 Entry List

ChicagocrewIRL
11th April 2007, 14:31
Well with the deadline having come and gone, the final list of Indianapolis 500 participants is out .

FROM THE INDIANAPOLIS STAR ....

Penske's youngest son, Jay, entered a car for the 91st annual race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, one leased from his father's Indy Racing League team.

Jay Penske's team, known as Luczo Dragon Racing, will field the No. 12 car for Ryan Briscoe, who drives for Penske Racing in the American LeMans Series.
Briscoe was one of 25 drivers on the event's entry list released Tuesday.

Officially, there are 38 entries for the May 27 race, although about 35 car-and-driver combinations are expected. Both figures are in line with last year. :) :) :)

Despite having May clear on their schedule, no Champ Car World Series teams entered cars.

Among the drivers entered who are not IRL regulars are Stephan Gregoire for Chastain Motorsports. PJ Jones is listed as the driver of the No. 97 car owned by Kent Baker.

At least nine other cars that currently do not have drivers seem likely to participate. They include an extra car for both Panther Racing and A.J. Foyt Racing of the IRL, two each for Playa del Racing and Beck Motorsports and single-car entries from PDM Racing, Hemelgarn Racing and Sam Schmidt Motorsports.

Rookies are scheduled to debut May 6 with rookie orientation continuing May 7. Practice for all participants begins May 8.

Roger Penske will be seeking his record-extending 15th Indy 500 victory with defending champion Sam Hornish Jr. and Helio Castroneves.

Milka Duno, the only rookie on the entry list, would be one of an unprecedented three women in the field, joining IRL regulars Danica Patrick and Sarah Fisher.

http://www.indy500.com/news/2007/2007_indy_entrylist.pdf

DRIVERS (25)

Former race winners (4): Helio Castroneves (2001, 2002), Sam Hornish Jr. (2006), Buddy Rice (2004), Dan Wheldon (2005).

Former pole winners (5): Helio Castroneves (2003), Sam Hornish Jr. (2006), Tony Kanaan (2005), Buddy Rice (2004), Scott Sharp (2001).

Rookies (1): Milka Duno.

U.S. born (12): Marco Andretti, Michael Andretti, Ed Carpenter, Sarah Fisher, Anthony Foyt IV, Jon Herb, Sam Hornish Jr., PJ Jones, Danica Patrick, Buddy Rice, Scott Sharp, Jeff Simmons.

Foreign born (13): Ryan Briscoe, Australia; Helio Castroneves, Brazil; Scott Dixon, New Zealand; Milka Duno, Venezuela; Dario Franchitti, Scotland; Stephan Gregoire, France; Tony Kanaan, Brazil; Darren Manning, England; Kosuke Matsuura, Japan; Vitor Meira, Brazil; Marty Roth, Canada; Tomas Scheckter, South Africa; Dan Wheldon, England.

Youngest: Marco Andretti, 20.

Oldest: Marty Roth, 48.

Most previous starts: Michael Andretti, 15.

CARS (69)

Chassis: Dallara 61, Panoz 8.

Alexamateo
11th April 2007, 19:41
It's about the same # of entries as I expected, but with some surprise names (Cabbie, Luczo). WHat I am surprised is that Cheever and Fernandez didn't enter one-offs as it's always possible to get sponsorships for that one event.

ChicagocrewIRL
11th April 2007, 23:56
I'm still slightly optimistic that we might get at least one CCWS driver but that doesn't look like the case. More likely than not, the seats will be taken by higher tier IPS drivers. Alex Lloyd, Wade Cunningham,Chris Festa .... hopefully . I'm hoping P.J. Chesson does NOT get a ride. Who knows if Arie Luyendyk Jr. is still around too.

Yup and it is surprising Fernandez and Cheever didn't get in the game.

Jonesi
12th April 2007, 02:14
Most likely suspects for the open seats are the drivers who did one off rides last year and got decent mid pack finishs:
MAX PAPIS
ROGER YASUKAWA
JAQUES LAZIER
AIRTON DARE
P J JONES (already signed)
TOWNSEND BELL

Might see an IPS driver or two, might see an ALMS or GrandAm driver or two (although they both have conflicts on the 2nd weekend of qualifing.) Don't think there will be any more Sprint/Midget short track drivers coming in.

ChicagocrewIRL
12th April 2007, 03:07
Speed Channel just reported Buddy Lazier has landed the
Sam Schmidt car for the 91st Indy 500. That makes 5 former winners in the race this year. All we need is for Bonehead Eddie and Al Jr to get rides and we'll have 7 former winners.

Buddy has shown he can still drive the wheels off an IndyCar. He is a sentimental favorite.

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2007, 23:12
Buddy just isn't in the same league with the big guys, but he is a game competitor and I guess compared to some of those guys out there, he is a good driver. I apologize on behalf of all Canadians for Marty Roth. Rich guys who cant let the dream die when it is clear they have no talent for the sport scare me.....

millencolin
17th April 2007, 00:15
looks like i'll watch the race now, for one reason only... to cheer on Briscoe....

im surprised though he isnt in a third penske car

Jonesi
17th April 2007, 01:16
looks like i'll watch the race now, for one reason only... to cheer on Briscoe....

im surprised though he isnt in a third penske car

It really is, in everything but name. He drives for Penske in ALMS, equipment from Penske with Penske's son involved. Figure some crew from Penske and shared data too, what more is needed for this to be a Penske team? ;-)

Alexamateo
17th April 2007, 02:52
It really is, in everything but name. He drives for Penske in ALMS, equipment from Penske with Penske's son involved. Figure some crew from Penske and shared data too, what more is needed for this to be a Penske team? ;-)

Some are saying this is a way for his son to get his feet wet so to speak. Though still obviously good health, he is 70 years old, and is possibly grooming his son to take over? Penske has always had an excellent organization, and the hallmark of a exceptional organization is to be able to change leaders and not miss a beat.

MAX_THRUST
17th April 2007, 12:44
I'm not having a go at little Al, but is he safe in a race car......?

We all know he has a drink problem, he would surely have to be breath tested before the race?!

As for no CCWS drivers being in the race, I'm not surprised but I am surprised???? I know it doesn't make sense. We know it won't be Tracy, and I had thought with Lannigan joining Newman Haas we may see them at Indy this year, but apparently not!!! But just think how much more publicity and interest there would be this year had the two series unified in some way or another. Could have been the best Month of May in years.....Alas no.

Jonesi
17th April 2007, 22:15
I'm not having a go at little Al, but is he safe in a race car......?
We all know he has a drink problem, he would surely have to be breath tested before the race?! snip..

It's probably not just that. As far back as the early 90s when he was the team mate of Fittipaldi, Emmo (granted a health nut) made several comments to the press that Al's heavy smoking and junk food diet would be catching up to him quickly. So it could be a general health/reflexes/reaction time thing by now. And I'm a long time fan of his, watching him back in those early ESPN sprint? races when he was 16-17.

millencolin
18th April 2007, 06:02

so basically its a penske that isnt called a penske... ok cool, Ryans in with a shot then

ozrevhead
18th April 2007, 07:46
Point taken

Hes been going very well in ALMS so far and its great to see his hard work rewarded. I dont know how good the car is but lets hope he has a great race nevertheless

:D

ChicagocrewIRL
19th April 2007, 07:03
When was the last time Briscoe drove on an oval and what was the result ??? Is he a darkhorse contender with the right equipment and team ???

-Helix-
28th April 2007, 03:35
25 drivers? Isn't the Indy 500 supposed to have 33?

There was a time when this race was considered the biggest race in the world... Now they can't even fill the grid?

Jonesi
28th April 2007, 04:16
25 drivers? Isn't the Indy 500 supposed to have 33?

There was a time when this race was considered the biggest race in the world... Now they can't even fill the grid?

If Alex Barron stays in the Beck #98 it's 27.

TG will fill the grid with 33.
The engines are reliable & available, the chassis are in the tail end of their cycle so there's plenty of ? quality ones around. Its just good drivers and the money to run them that's in short supply. In a pinch hopefully there's enough fair drivers, so they don't have to accept poor ones with money. And we all know who will keep writing to checks until the grid is full.

ChicagocrewIRL
28th April 2007, 09:20
Let's play.... WHO GETS THIS RIDE ???

Car # 13 Cabbie Motorsports (Panoz Honda) - Greg Ray ??? Mark Dismore NO !

Car #16,16T Panther Racing (Dallara Honda) - Patrick Carpentier

Car #18,18T PDM Racing (Dallara Honda) - random IPS guy

Car #21,21T Playa del Racing (Panoz Honda) - Jaques Lazier (confirmed)

Car #31 Playa del Racing (Panoz Honda) - random IPS guy -> Al Unser III ???

Car #41,41T A.J. Foyt Racing (Dallara/Panoz Honda) - Al Unser Jr. - Tony
Stewart

Car #43 CURB/Agajanian/Beck Motorsports (Dallara Honda) - Kyle Petty

Car #50,50T A.J. Foyt Racing (Dallara Honda) - Felipe Giaffone, Airton Dare'

Car #91 Hemelgarn Racing (Dallara Honda) - Michael Schumacher (HAHA)

Car #98 CURB/Agajanian/Beck Motorsports (Dallara Honda) - Greg Kinser

Car #02,02T Vision Racing (Dallara Honda) - Boris Said (would be cool)

These are all the current "TBA" cars... Let's all play WHO GETS THIS RIDE ???

DavePI2
28th April 2007, 22:42
too bad the suggestion for the #91 by chicago can't be. That would be great to see shumi there for the 500 after watching him last year at the gp. Hey Chicago comming your way in june to watch the cubs.

David

ChicagocrewIRL
29th April 2007, 07:11
Hey Chicago comming your way in june to watch the cubs. David

Awh Dave big mistake.... the better baseball is on the SOUTHSIDE !!!