PDA

View Full Version : JPM to Penske Indycar in 2014

EagleEye
16th September 2013, 17:36
Roger pulls the trigger.

EagleEye
16th September 2013, 17:40
Reason number 100 why AR1 should chill on the out of reality comments:

"This rumor is downgraded to 'false' today as Montoya has told Andretti Autosport his is not going to IndyCar. Once again IndyCar gets egg on its face by pandering to NASCAR and its drivers. Notice how well Montoya has been qualifying in NASCAR lately so he lands with a new sponsor and team in NASCAR. See related article "Pandering to IndyCar's mortal enemy."

Once again, AR1 gets egg on its face for not following the story and talking to the people involved. JPM turned down Andretti, not Indycar...welcome back JPM!

garyshell
16th September 2013, 18:03
Sounds like this is a case of the AR1 folks succumbing to a "ready, shoot, aim" paradigm?

So excited to see Juan back in open wheel. Can't wait to see him drive again, he was always exciting to watch with that patented tails out oversteer style.

Gary

drewdawg727
16th September 2013, 19:10
OK so what $$$ is he bringing to the table?

garyshell
16th September 2013, 19:26

Who says he is? He has a ton of sponsor appeal.

Gary

MAX_THRUST
16th September 2013, 20:11
WOW, I was gonna swear. This is amazing news for Indy Car. Hope he can still cut it. I think he will be excellent value for us fans to watch, and as for sponsors. There is gonna be no problem there with his fan base. :)

jarrambide
17th September 2013, 01:32

Gary

He was the last true superstar of AOWR, I remember how excited I was when McLaren announced he would be driving in F1, but how sad I wasn't going to see him in person anymore.

drewdawg727
17th September 2013, 01:41
Gary

Because Briscoe, in order to drive a full season at Penske, needed to bring a ton of money and he didn't have it. I'm pretty sure Penske's budget is in the red this season as they probably thought that WP was going to dominate at every road course and he has one win to his name this season .... so you have to think, how did this deal really come together in order for Roger to a) fund the car and b) pay JPM what he is asking for? (which probably isnt cheap)

Civic
17th September 2013, 03:09
Apparently Roger wanted to sign him first and figure out the sponsors later.

EagleEye
17th September 2013, 15:04
Drewdog is off base.

Briscoe was not asked to bring money, and JPM did not bring any either.

The team tried to find funding for Briscoe, and did not come up with enough to do it right.

Penske had planned for a third car for next year, and had found just enough funding to do so. The ride, was going to be for AJ, but then cooled a bit there after his spotty performance. They were also talking to a few other for the ride....btw.

When JPM became available, RP pulled the trigger. Penske pay their drivers....so no money needed.

bricarr2
17th September 2013, 19:27
Eagle Eye:

I think everyone thought JPM was back to NASCAR after the Andretti thing fell through. But like he's done so many times before, The Captain played his cards close to the vest and shocked everyone.

I think I speak for everyone here at AR1 in saying I believe its awesome JPM will be back in an IndyCar.

Thanks for reading,

Brian

EagleEye
17th September 2013, 20:37
Brian,

The problem with AR1 is the editorial comments placed in the news and rumors section. JPM had turned down Andretti, and this could have been reported in the rumors section, and left at that. Instead, AR1 inserts commentary bashing Indycar. How about calling FR, and asking IF JPM had excepted their offer? How about calling JPM?! I did not know it was Indycar's job to hire drivers, btw. A new one to me, and Indycar?!

This is no different that AR1 inserting stupid comments like "out of talent" Jeff Gordon when he crashed recently (JG, talent-less?!) and the countless onslaught against AJ Almindinger, based largely on his AR1's with his manager. (And, to be honest, I would agree 100% with MarkC that she is an "itch" with a B!). And of course, the slow, Dallara DW12, which really is not slow, but hey, why let facts get in the place of one's preferred narrative.

Then all the "NASCAR is the enemy BS." I'll tell you what was never mentioned in NASCAR's discussions with NBC....Indycar! They are not concerned with a series that garners ratings lower than an infomercials! A little research would find that the enemy is from within...but then that is a different topic all together and does not fit AR1's narrative either.

Penske has made noise of signing a third driver, for some time. This has been out there and has not been much of a secret. There had been some movement for top drivers, and this one kind of played out to the Captain's favor. Do not be surprised if Penske remain a two car team for 2014, with one driver (HCN) racing Indy only in the future....that has been out there too, and it could go either way.

AR1 should report facts, and stop inserting the insulting, and unsubstantiated comments. BTW, how do crow eggs taste?

bricarr2
17th September 2013, 22:31
EE:

My previous reply was specific to the Montoya situation. To my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong) no publication had him going to Penske before yesterday's announcement, thus I didn't think criticism of AR1 was fair. You're right AR1 did not have the story, but no one else did either.

As for your points regarding the news and rumors page, I believe you've raised this issue before. While I wish I could be of more assistance, such decisions are made way above this lowly columnist's pay grade, and are best taken up with Mark C.

Best,

Brian

EagleEye
17th September 2013, 23:10
BC,

The criticism of AR1 is justified based on this:

"This rumor is downgraded to 'false' today as Montoya has told Andretti Autosport his is not going to IndyCar. Once again IndyCar gets egg on its face by pandering to NASCAR and its drivers. Notice how well Montoya has been qualifying in NASCAR lately so he lands with a new sponsor and team in NASCAR. See related article "Pandering to IndyCar's mortal enemy."

Indycar DID not pander to NASCAR, and the story had yet to be told. Erase that and the rest of the garbage, then the update reflects a bit more reality.

JPM was going to go where he had the best chance to get a good paycheck, and have a chance for winning. Just like TK, AJ, and others.

I'm guessing crow tastes like chicken....

bricarr2
17th September 2013, 23:32
Ok fair enough.

Let me just say my defense of AR1 was that no one had the Montoya-to-Penske story. Your criticism of AR1 which is valid is that when he rejected Andretti, AR1's report said that he wouldn't go to IndyCar.

My apologies for not reading the full text of what was written and objecting to something you weren't actually even talking about.

That said, I still say you should raise your objection with Mark, as I recall you have had similar grievances in the past. And would you mind explaining this fascination with me sampling different varietals of crow?

Best,

Brian

anthonyvop
18th September 2013, 06:25

Gary

That is what they said about Rubens Barrichello. How did that work out?

EagleEye
18th September 2013, 14:55
For those who are slow, give horrible interviews, or think that "Back Home in Indiana" has a line that says "..Moonlight on the water..."

Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom,[1] meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proved wrong after taking a strong position.[2] Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proved wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.

BTW, its "..moonlight on the WABASH..."

The ED Carpenter interview is really good, btw. Take notes...( then I giggled, and he frowned).

bricarr2
18th September 2013, 16:30
EE:

You're a lot like me in that you're passionate about IndyCar. I think you misunderstood, however, my question about eating crow.

See, I didn't actually write the Montoya thing. Yes, AR1 did, but as I pointed out that is not my department. Thus, I was wondering why I should be eating crow.

Anyway, the fact we're even talking about this has reminded me these type of forums are simply not a very good platform for productive dialogue. So, this is the last you'll hear from me.

However, if anyone has questions regarding IndyCar and/or my work at AR1 please contact me via email (BrianC@AutoRacing1.com). If I cannot help you directly, I will refer you to someone who can.

Best to everyone,

Brian

garyshell
18th September 2013, 16:35

Gary

That is what they said about Rubens Barrichello. How did that work out?

Are you REALLY going to compare the sponsor appeal of Juan against Ruben? That is just ridiculous on its very face. :crazy:

Gary

EagleEye
18th September 2013, 17:13
BC,

I know you did not write the rumor piece or ED Carp interview (it was good), but you did write "...moonlight on the water..." and some other editorials that lacked first hand knowledge or facts. You have started going to races, which is a start at least....

The point is AR1 used to be a top notch source for racing information, news, updates, technical articles, rumors, and information. I was a huge supporter of AR1, but it seems like the last few years we get nothing but cheap shots, half-truths, and innuendo.

It would be great if the quality and integrity of the reporting and comments could be improved and based on facts in the news and rumors section. Narrative or opinions should be put on an opinion/editorial page, and not presented as facts.

I don't have anything against you, or AR1. I remain a paying customer, for now. but like the Hulman Goerge family and their many "yes" man and woman, AR1 seems to have a lot of "yes" men too. I have provided honest insight to whay others have been saying about the decline in AR1, and it can been listened too or ignored.

The fact remains you (as employee of AR1) followed and commented on my thread about breaking news about JPM/Penske that AR1 got all wrong and has egg on its face for senseless comments. You took exception to my post, though you later clarified that you had missed the lines I was refering too, but prior to that, your tried supporting them!

IF, AR1 had done proper reporting 101 (check the facts, check your sources, and check them again! from my high school paper days at least) AR1 could have correctly provided the fact that JPM turned down Andretti, and looked to be going to FR, though no contract or announcement is forthcoming about that. Done, preffesional, and with no egg dripping off the face....

champcarray
24th September 2013, 21:39
I'm looking forward to seeing him back in US OWR. But all things considered I'd rather have Allmendinger or Zanardi!

garyshell
24th September 2013, 22:07
I'm looking forward to seeing him back in US OWR. But all things considered I'd rather have Allmendinger or Zanardi!

Zanardi I can see. But strictly from a potential sponsorship view and potential sponsor activation, I think JPM has much more potential than AJ. Don't get me wrong I love AJ and the whole American Driver would be in play. But I just think JPM has more potential $$$ appeal from Madison Ave.

Gary

jarrambide
26th September 2013, 04:17

Zanardi I can see. But strictly from a potential sponsorship view and potential sponsor activation, I think JPM has much more potential than AJ. Don't get me wrong I love AJ and the whole American Driver would be in play. But I just think JPM has more potential $$$ appeal from Madison Ave.

Gary

Not to mention JPM at his best was 5 times the driver Allmendinger was at his best.

Everyone liked Zanardi before the accident, everyone loves him after the accident. Even if you turn a blind eye to the fact that he needs to accelerate and brake with his left hand, making steering difficult, he is 46 years old. Juan Pablo is 38, not a youngster, but I just can't see a 46 year old that has not raced full time since 2009 being even a little competitive.

dj_bytedisaster
26th September 2013, 07:22

Gary

Not to mention JPM at his best was 5 times the driver Allmendinger was at his best.

Everyone liked Zanardi before the accident, everyone loves him after the accident. Even if you turn a blind eye to the fact that he needs to accelerate and brake with his left hand, making steering difficult, he is 46 years old. Juan Pablo is 38, not a youngster, but I just can't see a 46 year old that has not raced full time since 2009 being even a little competitive.

In the adapted car that Zanardi used to drive the missing 13 laps at the Lausitzring in 2003 and in his WTCC BMW Alex braked using his artificial legs - and throttle cotrol was done using the hands in a manner that barely interferred with steering. Unlike an non-amputee he simply doesn't generate the power by leg muscles, using the muscles in his hip instead. And just in case you missed it - Alex Zanardi won 3 paralympic medals last year as opposed to JPM, who spent his time being fat and dawdling around noodle pots on an ox cart. Tell me which one of those two is the fittest. When it comes to sheer fitness, Alex wipes the floor with JPM. The man regularly contests in handcycle marathons and wins them - have you seen the arms on that guy? My legs are weaker than those... :disturb:

acescribe
26th September 2013, 17:27
JPM keeps tweeting about himself being in the gym. Cant think why?!

Bullet
15th November 2013, 13:56
Like him or hate him (I don't think there is much in-between), Montoya has a way of bumping everyone's blood pressure up a notch. I absolutely hated him when he was in CART, but became one of his biggest fans when he took it to Schumacher in Brazil. He's also one of the most accomplished drivers in motorsport history... with a long list of highly regarded wins for Indycar to brag about.

abeeha666
21st November 2013, 12:03
If JPM is going to race IndyCar next season, how much weight will he have to lose to fit in the car?

bugeyedgomer
28th November 2013, 16:47
If JPM is going to race IndyCar next season, how much weight will he have to lose to fit in the car?
None

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ73vLNCYAAbWe0.jpg

garyshell
28th November 2013, 18:50
Yep, he was physically prepared. There's a sense of renewal about him in the way he talks. A real sparkle in his eye. He's home where he belongs.

Gary