PDA

View Full Version : What's happened? Why has the forum changed?

Mark
9th September 2013, 11:59
In the early hours of 9th Sept we had a major attack on the forums which ended up with them being hacked, the hack compromised the files which are used to serve the forums and got into the database too.

A migration to a fresh set of files didn't work because the hack was in the database, so the only way to be 100% sure of stripping out the compromised code was to migrate to a completely different forum system where they couldn't follow.

Hence we've moved to phpBB; it may be that we eventually go back to vBulletin using version 5, or we may just stick with phpBB as it's a good forum system.

The site is very much work in progress, lots of stuff isn't working properly, including the pickems which may take a while to get back on. However I'd rather open up the forums as soon as possible rather than leave them closed until everything is 100% ready.

donKey jote
9th September 2013, 12:29
sheesh :crazy:

hope it's only half as complicated as it sounds !

Mark
9th September 2013, 13:23
Since changing we're getting battered to death with spam :(. I've had to set new user registrations to have to be approved by admin.

Mark
9th September 2013, 15:33
Tapatalk access isn't working just now.

Tazio
9th September 2013, 15:53
Hackers; Damn their eternal souls :angyfire:

rallye-vid
9th September 2013, 16:19
Bad news, f0cking script kiddies...

AndyL
9th September 2013, 17:51
I like the change. For the first time in a while, the forum works properly without javascript again!

Were any malicious files uploaded that users might have been exposed to?

donKey jote
9th September 2013, 18:59

and where's my flag gone? :p :andrea: :laugh: :arrows: :erm:

Mark
9th September 2013, 19:29
Turns out I actually have a backup. Doh. Might restore to that instead. Means losing a weekends posts :(

steveaki13
9th September 2013, 19:39
Wow. I wondered what had happened.

I have to say I quite like this new layout. It seems to work better with my new laptop from a purely selfish point of view. :kiss:

Anyway these hackers are nasty. I am a member of a Barca Fans forum and they hacked that recently. :angryfire

Hope all is OK again now.

steveaki13
9th September 2013, 19:41

and where's my flag gone? :p :andrea: :laugh: :arrows: :erm:

:laugh:

steveaki13
9th September 2013, 19:44
Thanks for your efforts Mark, I wasn't sure if it was a wider problem or just me to start with so I submitted a message to the facebook page.

Sorry bout that

Mintexmemory
9th September 2013, 20:13
Nice to see the recovery in progress. :cool: :cool:

Mark
9th September 2013, 21:13
Thanks for your efforts Mark, I wasn't sure if it was a wider problem or just me to start with so I submitted a message to the facebook page.

Sorry bout that

No worries nice to see someone is concerned ;)

Makes a change from messages wishing me death or other things of that nature!!

donKey jote
9th September 2013, 21:18

Sorry bout that

No worries nice to see someone is concerned ;)

Makes a change from messages wishing me death or other things of that nature!!

Can't find the "like" button either ! :p :andrea: :erm:

Mark
9th September 2013, 21:20
My thinking at the moment is to switch to vbulletin 5. I quite like phpBB from a user point of view - nice and snappy. But for administration it's a bit lacking.

donKey jote
9th September 2013, 21:27
Turns out I actually have a backup. Doh. Might restore to that instead. Means losing a weekends posts :(

if that means Monza never happened, do go ahead ! :dork:

Mark
9th September 2013, 21:30

if that means Monza never happened, do go ahead ! :dork:

Nah that didn't work :(. Which means Monza remains ;)

Mark
9th September 2013, 21:45
Tapatalk should be working now.

donKey jote
9th September 2013, 21:51
I love the new forum layout Mark :up: , a real blast from the past in places...

brought tears to my eyes :bigcry:
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=114349 (http://www.motorsportforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=114349)

of laughter :laugh:

stoopid oaf :bandit:

where's the "up" smiley ? :down: :p

donKey jote
9th September 2013, 21:56
;) :andrea:

schmenke
10th September 2013, 00:03
Apologies for the daft question, but I’m now receiving an e-mail every time someone posts in a thread in which I’ve posted. Is there a default user setting that disables this? It seems I can do this only individually for each thread (using a link in the e-mail).
I can’t seem to find a default setting in the User Control Panel :mark: .

Koz
10th September 2013, 06:57
Please for the love of god and everything that is, was, or ever will be sacred don't stay with this ugly, terrible phpbb.

<3 vBulletin.

:(

Koz
10th September 2013, 06:59
Apologies for the daft question, but I’m now receiving an e-mail every time someone posts in a thread in which I’ve posted. Is there a default user setting that disables this? It seems I can do this only individually for each thread (using a link in the e-mail).

UserCP -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults

Kielder
10th September 2013, 11:36
To me, the major disadvantage is not having all the threads of each discipline displayed at the same time. For example, I have to click now on each rallying topic (WRC, ERC, European...), I can't mix them.
In general, I'd prefer the old forum back.

Rallyper
10th September 2013, 12:02
Yeah, please get the old forum back if possible. I know you MArk and maybe others doing a great job but let´s go back to the former forum layout.

JasonPotato
10th September 2013, 12:13
I personally like this forum layout on other sites. On this site it just looks horrible.

Mark
10th September 2013, 12:37
I personally like this forum layout on other sites. On this site it just looks horrible.

Perhaps because there has been no config of styles etc.

pino
10th September 2013, 14:30
Tapatalk works fine now, great job Mark :up:

Mark
10th September 2013, 20:18
You may notice were back to phpbb again.

I tried a move to vbulletin 5 but it didn't work properly. Didn't transfer the passwords and ended up telling everyone they were banned.

So; although I plan to move to vbulletin 5 I'm going to take my time on it instead and not rush in and mess loyal forum members about or force password changes. So we are sticking with this board for a couple of weeks at least, while we get the new house decorated and looking nice.

Apologies again :)

Mia 01
10th September 2013, 21:16
Havn´t been in here for three days, what a suprise. I like it, and it´s faster to. But, bring the likes button back!

donKey jote
10th September 2013, 21:26
hooray, you're back again :D
The party was here all along, while I seem to have been stuck in Mark's temporary playground for a couple of hours :dork:

...or was it just a dream :s

am I going :crazy: ?

donKey jote
10th September 2013, 21:32
Havn´t been in here for three days, what a suprise. I like it, and it´s faster to. But, bring the likes button back!

^likes :sailor:

steveaki13
10th September 2013, 21:47
hooray, you're back again :D
The party was here all along, while I seem to have been stuck in Mark's temporary playground for a couple of hours :dork:

...or was it just a dream :s

am I going :crazy: ?

I know Donkey.

I too am :crazy: I couldn't get into the forum again earlier and could update my profile or anything.

Happy to see you all again. :kiss: ;)

As Mia said though I am happy with this layout, it does seem quicker to me, but hey whatever

rv65
11th September 2013, 00:31
Invision Power board and Xenforo are nice software as well. I personally run MyBB on my non motorsport related forum.

BleAivano
11th September 2013, 00:54
Mark, could look into why it does not save my password/auto-login?

Mark
11th September 2013, 09:40

Unfortunately I don't really know my way around this software yet, so it might be some time!

schmenke
11th September 2013, 16:13
Thanks Mark, for all your effort in keeping this forum alive! :)

schmenke
11th September 2013, 16:42

UserCP -> Board preferences -> Edit posting defaults

:?: :cornfused:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2846/9725713866_a27793125a_c.jpg

Mark
11th September 2013, 16:43
I guess it's user control panel then manage subscriptions.

donKey jote
11th September 2013, 17:48

^^likes :sailor:

steveaki13
11th September 2013, 20:38
I with you Donkey and Schmenke.

Thanks Mark

BleAivano
12th September 2013, 01:17

Unfortunately I don't really know my way around this software yet, so it might be some time!

No probs. just good to see that you are still with us.

Anyway I did some googling which resulted in a few threads, perhaps they can be of some help.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1823105 (https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1823105)
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2165581 (https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2165581)
https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-54914.html
http://www.bluehostforum.com/showthread ... in-Problem (http://www.bluehostforum.com/showthread.php?13374-PhpBB-Auto-Login-Problem)

MD24
12th September 2013, 06:41

:)

schmenke
12th September 2013, 15:21

Nope. Still getting flooded with those pesky e-mails, despite having manually unsubscribed from the threads :mark: .

uranium
12th September 2013, 20:36
It would be nice to go back to old engine, but if it's problematic it would be nice to have here fine theme for the forum and something like Like/Dislike system

Firstgear
13th September 2013, 16:53

Nope. Still getting flooded with those pesky e-mails, despite having manually unsubscribed from the threads :mark: .
I'm getting those same pesky emails. :(

A FONDO
19th September 2013, 21:25
what happened with the Thank button?

Mark
19th September 2013, 21:49
It's not ready yet.

Spafranco
20th September 2013, 16:58
Well, I'm late with the condolences and the thank you. Sorry that this happened o you Mark. The new layout looks great though. But, I'm not like most of the users here in that I am really illiterate when it comes to the internet. Why would someone do this? Baffling!

Mark
20th September 2013, 17:35
Well, I'm late with the condolences and the thank you. Sorry that this happened o you Mark. The new layout looks great though. But, I'm not like most of the users here in that I am really illiterate when it comes to the internet. Why would someone do this? Baffling!

Mostly because they can. Although mostly gone are the days when people did this for fun. Mostly it's to allow for spamming etc.

uranium
20th September 2013, 17:40
Why would someone do this?

Why peoples write bad words on a wall or break a window? IMHO same logic

Jag_Warrior
26th December 2013, 19:34
First, I want to thank Mark for keeping these forums alive. While so many others that I used to frequent have either died or fallen into a sad state, this one is still alive and vibrant. With MyFace, SpaceBook and Tweeter being so popular, it seems like all forums have suffered. But people do still come here, just not in the numbers that they used to, I think. But that's true of all forums, I believe. Considering the time and effort that Mark has put into it over the years, and the challenges he's faced, this site surely must be a labor of love, more so than money or fame - although I hear he is pretty darn famous (in his house: Daddy's home and he's got presents!!!).

And this isn't really a complaint, more a question of what might be coming. Since the change-over, I've noticed that several of the features that we had on the old board now no longer seem to work, like the ability to easily post Youtube, etc. videos and the ability to hover my mouse over a thread and see portions of the OP. Just seems like this software is much more basic in its functionality. If this type of software is easier to manage and control, then I understand. I'm good either way, but I have to admit, I found the other version of the board to be more fun to interact with.

Mark
6th January 2014, 08:37
The main issue has been that we needed to completely change the forum software in order to get rid of the virus. But; going back to vBulletin would require everyone to have to reset their password - a sure fire way to make sure nobody comes back! If that could be resolved then we could go to vBulletin.

OzoneVibe
24th February 2014, 15:44
I don't seem to get email notification of activity on the topic I'm subscribed to, any more.

Is this a problem resulting from the changes or some other problem?

tia

airshifter
25th February 2014, 19:06
I have the opposite problem right now. It seems I can't turn off email notifications!

Does anyone have any fix for this? Short of not allowing email access at all I haven't found it.