PDA

View Full Version : So called 'advanced driving' techniques/ poor driving teaching.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2013, 14:07
We all remember learning to drive and being taught the push/pull technique or 'feeding the wheel' but how many of us still do this after we have passed our test? I always thought it might be useful if you are trying to manoeuvre a car without power steering in a tight space, but in a modern car? I remember being told that one of the reasons it is safer is because when you crash your arms will be out of the way of the airbag. But if you have trying to regain control of the car to avoid said crash you would have to be mad to start feeding the wheel. Not that I'm going to advocate crossing your arms over etc.

When I was learning to drive I remember my instructor telling to drive closer to the verge/kerb because it was safer. But if you ever look at the side of the road, next to the kerb, It is full of debris that has been swept to the side of the road by traffic. I picked up two punctures when I was learning to drive, both on the passengers side. Since I passed my test have had none, partly because I position my car further away from the kerb.

My brother is a railway engineer an often works at railway level crossings. He has said how he often sees learner drivers being told to stop at look both ways at controlled level crossings. This is a bit silly isn't it? Imagine if a learner driver stops at the crossing, looks both ways, tries to set off but stalls and jerks forwards, then the barriers come down with the car sat on the rails.......

Obviously I'm a male in my 20s so I know everything about driving :p

555-04Q2
2nd September 2013, 15:31
Ironically, driving tests teach you more about dicking about while behind the wheel of a car rather than how to drive when behind the wheel of a car. It is that way over here at least.

Mark
2nd September 2013, 15:58
When I was learning to drive I remember my instructor telling to drive closer to the verge/kerb because it was safer. But if you ever look at the side of the road, next to the kerb, It is full of debris that has been swept to the side of the road by traffic. I picked up two punctures when I was learning to drive, both on the passengers side. Since I passed my test have had none, partly because I position my car further away from the kerb.

Same reason you don't cycle in the gutter, a good a way as any to pick up punctures. It's safest of course to drive in the middle of the lane! But if anything towards the centre line.

My brother is a railway engineer an often works at railway level crossings. He has said how he often sees learner drivers being told to stop at look both ways at controlled level crossings. This is a bit silly isn't it? Imagine if a learner driver stops at the crossing, looks both ways, tries to set off but stalls and jerks forwards, then the barriers come down with the car sat on the rails.......

I've never heard of that, however it is always ever so slightly worrying driving over a level crossing where I know trains go through at 125mph, trusting it hasn't failed ;)

Donney
2nd September 2013, 16:03
If you are a male you ALWAYS know everything about driving and the others are just jerks....

Age is not relevant here, apart from me being and old forum member, therefore having extra knowledge about everything and anything :D

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd September 2013, 17:07
Same reason you don't cycle in the gutter, a good a way as any to pick up punctures. It's safest of course to drive in the middle of the lane! But if anything towards the centre line.

So why did my driving instructor tell me to drive in the gutter?

Speaking of cyclists. I was walking the dog the other day (I say the other day, it was about a year ago) as 3 cyclists approached the narrow, blind-crested bridge in my village. The bridge is only just wide enough for two cars to pass over side-by-side, but I was stunned as I saw a car overtake all 3 cyclists on the bridge. If a car had been coming over the bridge in the opposite direction there would have been a crash or a crushed cyclist. I'm not a cyclists but if I'd have been one of those cyclists I'd be tempted to ride side-by-side over the bridge so the car behind would treat us as road users.

janneppi
2nd September 2013, 19:05

I just try to stay away from grooves.

Jag_Warrior
2nd September 2013, 19:54
So why did my driving instructor tell me to drive in the gutter?

He may have owned a tire distributorship on the side. :D

driveace
18th November 2014, 23:10
Normal driving position from edge of road is 1 to 1 and a half meters out

Rollo
19th November 2014, 00:54
We all remember learning to drive and being taught the push/pull technique or 'feeding the wheel' but how many of us still do this after we have passed our test? I always thought it might be useful if you are trying to manoeuvre a car without power steering in a tight space, but in a modern car? I remember being told that one of the reasons it is safer is because when you crash your arms will be out of the way of the airbag. But if you have trying to regain control of the car to avoid said crash you would have to be mad to start feeding the wheel. Not that I'm going to advocate crossing your arms over etc.

I never ever ever used push/pull; even on the driving test. I always use "hand over hand".

http://www.arkwrightbooks.com.au/shop_image/product/5249.jpg

Frank Gardner, who was three times BTCC champion, in his book "Drive To Survive" didn't even advocate holding the wheel at 10 and 2 but at 9 and 3. The reason for this is that the wheel is like a lever and at 9 and 3, you apply the most torque on the wheel.

Then there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWuaY2JSyRY

I don't even know what the heck you call that.

Tel 911S
19th November 2014, 17:28
Driving instructors I have known often say that what they are teaching is how to pass the driving test , & after you have passed is when you actually learn to drive .
Leaving aside Gladwell,s 10,000 hours to be an expert , [ which probably means about half a million miles ] , there is no doubt that the other psychologists theory of the " Gunfighter syndrome ", [ where a reaction that comes from experience is always far quicker than one which has to be thought about ], means that the more driving a person does the much more likely they are to be a better driver .

D-Type
19th November 2014, 23:47
When I was taught to drive in Kenya I was taught to reverse with one arm on the back of the passenger seat and one hand on the wheel. When I came to Britain I had to unlearn this as here the testers consider you have more control if you have both hands on the wheel and your body and neck twisted round.
Which do you use?

donKey jote
19th November 2014, 23:55
One hand and whole body twisted around and out of the seat for speed reversing larger distances :D

Two hands and mirrors for pussyfooting :andrea:

schmenke
20th November 2014, 00:09
Two hands and mirrors for pussyfooting :andrea:

Is that with Billy's missus in the car? :stareup:

Gregor-y
20th November 2014, 00:20
In the US I was taught to hold the passenger seat with one arm and twist around as it gives you the best view to the rear. With newer cars the rear window is usually too small to be useful which is why reversing cameras are about to become a national requirement (and also partly why my car is ten years old).

Starter
20th November 2014, 14:22
In the US I was taught to hold the passenger seat with one arm and twist around as it gives you the best view to the rear. With newer cars the rear window is usually too small to be useful which is why reversing cameras are about to become a national requirement (and also partly why my car is ten years old).
I see a lot of accidents coming since people will just use the cameras. My car has the the back up camera and it's really helpful, but you still need to look to both sides, especially in parking lots.

schmenke
20th November 2014, 15:54
The rear view displays on our two vehicles are so small (on the truck it's embedded in the rear-view mirror) that I find them practically useless :s . Never use them.

driveace
20th November 2014, 23:06
As an Ex driving examiner the rule is IF you wear glasses with large frames ,then it is acceptable to sit round,with one hand on back of passenger seat to get a clearer view otherwise the frame on your glasses are a hazard .
Most people now use the nearside mirror,as well as the rear window for reversing on a driving test ,as long as people dont use ONLY the mirror

Gregor-y
21st November 2014, 23:33
Are you from Johannesburg by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O119HCxBNnk&t=27m10s

No, this forum does not have a video!