PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is Your Geography?? [3]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 15:28
I'm interested now - how about Franklin? Can't think of a country named after him though.

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 15:31
A hint: the forumer jso1985...

How about 'Mr. Bolivia' (don't know his name!)? I know a currency is a Bolivar, but isnt that Venezuela's money?

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 15:45
How about 'Mr. Bolivia' (don't know his name!)? I know a currency is a Bolivar, but isnt that Venezuela's money?

Simón Bolívar is the right answer. Bolivia is the country. Bolivia's currency is the Boliviano, but I was indeed actually referring to the Bolivar, which is Venezuela's currency.

Loads and loads of things in South America are named after him, and also elsewhere as I pointed out earlier. Quite surprising that so many things in the US as well..

Take it away Mr PS29! :up:

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 15:55
Never even heard of Simon Bolivar - I'll have to Wiki him later!

My question is what is the shortest named river in the world? I will except two different answers as it depends on who you listen to.

edv
25th March 2010, 16:00
AAR ? Crossworders know this one. LOL

Edit: Wait! What about the PO?

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 16:04
Sorry - misunderstanding. I meant the shortest river which has a name i.e. not just a stream I dug at the end of my garden but a proper, recognised river

edv
25th March 2010, 16:17
Doh!

Mark in Oshawa
25th March 2010, 17:16
It wouldn't be the Po then...lol

I am going to say.....dang...this one irritates me....because I will slap my head I am sure when it is revealed.

East River?

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 17:34
You might not bang your head - it's not immediately obvious and I only know because I'm doing A-Level Geography. I checked online and two names popped up. Neither were the East River though!

Lousada
25th March 2010, 17:51
It's the "D" River in the US. I know, because I asked this same question way back on the old board ;)

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 18:09
The D River is one of the 2 answers. Is it worth looking for the 2nd answer (this river is actually smaller than the D River but is more contentious!) or shall I pass on to Lousada?

edv
26th March 2010, 22:35
I find it ironic that the river with the shortest name (as I mis-interpreted above) turns out to be the shortest river after all.

EuroTroll
27th March 2010, 05:16
The D River is one of the 2 answers. Is it worth looking for the 2nd answer (this river is actually smaller than the D River but is more contentious!) or shall I pass on to Lousada?

I say pass it on. Best to keep things moving. ;)

Mark in Oshawa
27th March 2010, 11:31
D River? Where the heck is THAT??? Oh well..move along...

Lousada
27th March 2010, 12:18
I'll skip this one. Someone else can jump in with a question if they like.

pettersolberg29
27th March 2010, 12:19
The D River is in Oregon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_River

The other answer I would have accepted was the Reprua River in Abkhazia. But I pass the question onto Lousada.

edit: or anyone else!

Mark in Oshawa
27th March 2010, 15:57
I will give it a go...Where is the Queen of the UK (and Canada, NZ, Australia etc.) actually not just the queen but is considered the duke of....?

It is a geographical/political entity that is quite unique...but anyhow, it is the only place the current queen is also a duke.

edv
27th March 2010, 16:12
Earl? LOL

I'd guess one of those countries whose royalty inter-bred with the Tudors.

Dunno, maybe Austria? (or wherever Mountbatten came from?)

Lousada
27th March 2010, 16:22
I can only think of Normandy?? But that's not geographical/politcal unique...

Caroline
27th March 2010, 16:25
Weird idea, but I think it might be a Polynesian country.
Tonga?

EuroTroll
27th March 2010, 23:53
Building on what Edv said -- Hanover? I think that's where the dynasty is from..

emporer_k
27th March 2010, 23:57
the isle of mann ?

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2010, 04:58
Lousada is close... sorta...

Easy Drifter
28th March 2010, 05:33
Channel Islands?

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2010, 21:01
Drifter...you got it. The Channel Islands consider the British crown to be their "Duke" It explains it all on Wikipedia, but like the Isle of Man, they sort of are connected to Britain but they are not part of the EC and have their own government outside of Westminister. Unlike the Isle of Man tho, the monarch is their Duke...

Easy Drifter
28th March 2010, 21:42
And at one time Nigel Mansell was an Aux. cop there.
Question: Where is the Top of the World Highway and what does it connect?

Mark in Oshawa
28th March 2010, 22:54
And at one time Nigel Mansell was an Aux. cop there.
Question: Where is the Top of the World Highway and what does it connect?

Inuvik down the Yukon and the Alaska Highway. I believe it is the Dempster highway...

Easy Drifter
28th March 2010, 23:43
Close but no Ceegar! :D

schmenke
29th March 2010, 14:35
I believe I know the answer but I'll let someone else have a go ;)

EuroTroll
29th March 2010, 14:52
I believe I know the answer but I'll let someone else have a go ;)

What if Einstein had said that? :p :

schmenke
29th March 2010, 15:35
I'm no Einstein :p :

Mark in Oshawa
30th March 2010, 02:38

Between that and being a Hab's fan....I dunno....but I guess I can still "talk" to you...lol.

Steve Boyd
30th March 2010, 20:49
Drifter...you got it. The Channel Islands consider the British crown to be their "Duke" It explains it all on Wikipedia, but like the Isle of Man, they sort of are connected to Britain but they are not part of the EC and have their own government outside of Westminister. Unlike the Isle of Man tho, the monarch is their Duke...
The Queen is known as Lord of Mann and as the Duke of Lancaster - both titles held by the reigning monarch of whatever gender.

EuroTroll
31st March 2010, 19:34
The Queen is known as Lord of Mann and as the Duke of Lancaster - both titles held by the reigning monarch of whatever gender.

Interesting! Why is the British monarch also the Duke of Lancaster? Seems superfluous..

I call upon you Schmenkenstein to reveal the truth after all as noone else seems to have a clue! ;)

Steve Boyd
1st April 2010, 10:59
Interesting! Why is the British monarch also the Duke of Lancaster? Seems superfluous..
It is - kind of. The estate of the Duchy of Lancaster is owned by the royal family & not owned by the state, so the income goes to the Queen who is the head of the estate. The title is really obsolete but is still used occasionally, especially in the Loyal Toast at the end of formal dinners in the County of Lancashire. There's an expalnation here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Lancaster

There's a similar situation with the Duchy of Cornwall, but the income from that estate always goes to the first son of the monarch. So Charles, Prince of Wales, is also Duke of Cornwall.

Easy Drifter
3rd April 2010, 03:40
I thought I had asked an easy one!
Mark in Oshawa came close so come on folks someone must know.

edv
5th April 2010, 16:22
I do recall that name when 'driving' the Alaskan Highway virtually with Google Earth, but I do not recall exactly where it is...somewhere along the Yukon-Alaska border area.

Easy Drifter
5th April 2010, 18:54
It crosses the border from the ----- Highway and goes to ------ ----.
If nobody has it by tomorrow night I will give the answer.
Hint. 'Chicken' is on it.

Mark in Oshawa
5th April 2010, 23:29
I thought I had asked an easy one!
Mark in Oshawa came close so come on folks someone must know.

If it isn't the Dempster or Alaska Highway, then you have picked something obscure. I can guarntee you I haven't been down it...

Easy Drifter
6th April 2010, 00:49
Not that obscure. My ex was over it in her Winnie last summer. It is a summer only highway as it is so exposed to weather.
The Dempster is one of only two highways that go further north.

Easy Drifter
7th April 2010, 03:44
The Top Of the World Highway runs from the Taylor Highway in Alaska to Dawson City in the Yukon. Chicken is a tiny community on the Alaska side. The two countries actually share the same Customs and Immigration building.
It really ends in West Dawson where you take a ferry across the Yukon River to Dawson City. There is no dock and the ferry just rams an earth ramp.
The Highway is so named because it runs along the top of the hills rather than in valleys giving spectacular views. It is a summer only highway because it is so exposed and is one of the most northerly of roads.
Contrary to what a certain on line Encyclopedia says a good portion of it is not paved and is more dirt than gravel.
My ex travelled it in a rainstorm last summer and said her car towed behind her motorhome was a just a brown lump. Somewhere the road also removed the Hydralic tank for her slide out on the motorhome.
I believe Mark was the closest so go ahead with the next question.

And I really did think that was an easy one.

EuroTroll
7th April 2010, 08:52
And I really did think that was an easy one.

Maybe just too specific? I noticed only Canadians made suggestions..

Easy Drifter
7th April 2010, 12:30
True on replies but it is well known and one end is in Alaska for many K.

Mark in Oshawa
8th April 2010, 00:25
Ok...my go? Good...Which member of the EC actually has territorial possessions outside of Europe BUT are NOT Islands? These possessions are part of the country as near as I can figure too, not just a protectorate.

Lousada
8th April 2010, 11:14
Ok...my go? Good...Which member of the EC actually has territorial possessions outside of Europe BUT are NOT Islands? These possessions are part of the country as near as I can figure too, not just a protectorate.

Spain, with the little blobs opposite Gibraltar.

Caroline
8th April 2010, 12:56
Spain, with the little blobs opposite Gibraltar.

Do you mean Ceuta?

Lousada
8th April 2010, 14:30
Do you mean Ceuta?

Yes, that's one of them. There is another town on the Marocco coast that's also part of Spain.

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2010, 05:05
Lousada has it yes. I had to troll Wiki for a few countries before I found a question worth asking....

I love geographic orphans and claims to disupted cities and the like. The places usually end up being very schizophrenic communities, or unusual. I

Anyhow, Lousada, the floor is your with kudo's to Caroline for knowing the name of one of the cities.

Storm
9th April 2010, 08:45
Is the other one Melilla ? (& Ceuta)
Also what abt French Guyana? I thought it was part of France since they send rockets from there.

Mark in Oshawa
9th April 2010, 17:02
Is the other one Melilla ? (& Ceuta)
Also what abt French Guyana? I thought it was part of France since they send rockets from there.

Meilla and Ceuta. French Guiana isn't a department of France proper, it is a protectorate.

Lousada
9th April 2010, 17:10
Meilla and Ceuta. French Guiana isn't a department of France proper, it is a protectorate.

Actually that's not correct. Guyana, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Reunion are overseas regions of France.

As integral parts of the French Republic, they are represented in the National Assembly, Senate and Economic and Social Council, elect a Member of the European Parliament (MEP), and also use the euro as their currency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_regions

Lousada
9th April 2010, 22:51
I don't have a lot of time this weekend, so somebody else can comeup with a question if they want.

Easy Drifter
10th April 2010, 01:34
I really should not but anyway-------
What is considered the largest desert in the world?
You have to think outside the box for this one.

Mark in Oshawa
10th April 2010, 06:04
Actually that's not correct. Guyana, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Reunion are overseas regions of France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_regions

They are not part of the French State as just France tho. THey are not departments. They are to France like Guam or Samoa would be to the US.

The two cities I found in Africa are considered part of the Spanish state period.

Caroline
10th April 2010, 17:04
Antarctica?

Easy Drifter
10th April 2010, 17:21
You got it Caroline. Nice going. :)
Your question.

Lousada
10th April 2010, 21:21
They are not part of the French State as just France tho. THey are not departments. They are to France like Guam or Samoa would be to the US.

The two cities I found in Africa are considered part of the Spanish state period.

You are simply incorrect. French Guyana is part of the French Republic and the European Union. They have exactly the same political status as mainland departments.

From the official site if you do not believe me:

Du point de vue de l'organisation administrative et politique, la Guyane ne se distingue donc pas des départements métropolitains.
http://www.guyane.pref.gouv.fr/

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2010, 05:50
You are simply incorrect. French Guyana is part of the French Republic and the European Union. They have exactly the same political status as mainland departments.

From the official site if you do not believe me:

http://www.guyane.pref.gouv.fr/

oops...Well then I stand corrected. I was always told that Guiana was a protectorate. Since this discussion, I found out also St. Pierre and Miquelon off the Newfoundland coast also has that same country status. Oh well....there I was trying to find a unique question and blew it.

Caroline..you are up...

Caroline
11th April 2010, 18:03
Thanks. :)

Apologies if this question has been asked before... what is the world's newest democracy?

Mark in Oshawa
11th April 2010, 19:36
Thanks. :)

Apologies if this question has been asked before... what is the world's newest democracy?

I was all set to say Iraq, but I know someone has deposed some despot and had a vote since Iraqi's first voted....

I am going to say......damn...I am having to go think about this...

EuroTroll
11th April 2010, 21:59
I'm thinking new countries. Kosovo? Not recognized by all of course... Abhazia, South Ossetia? Only recognized by three countries.

I pick Kosovo.

Caroline
12th April 2010, 08:46
Sorry.. have to keep guessing I'm afraid. :)

henners88
12th April 2010, 09:28
Is it Bhutan in South East Asia?.. :)

Sonic
12th April 2010, 12:47
Montenegro? (Sp?)

edv
12th April 2010, 14:47
How about Kyrgyzstan? Didn't the people recently rise up and kick out their 'leader'?

Mark in Oshawa
12th April 2010, 22:02
How about Kyrgyzstan? Didn't the people recently rise up and kick out their 'leader'?

Was that an election or a revolution?

Caroline
13th April 2010, 07:49
No, sorry, not right yet.

Sonic
13th April 2010, 09:39
No, sorry, not right yet.

Blast! Gonna need a clue......or at least I do.

Caroline
13th April 2010, 16:47
Clue - 'new' democracy makes you think of a 'new' country, think old!

Sonic
13th April 2010, 23:14
Hmmmmm, does this mean we are looking for a country changing from say monarcy to a republic?

Mark in Oshawa
14th April 2010, 00:34
Clue - 'new' democracy makes you think of a 'new' country, think old!

Interesting....Brunei?
Did the Sultan allow a government election? No....Maybe not that one...

Caroline
15th April 2010, 16:55
No not Brunei. I thought that this would be answered by now as it was in the news just a couple of years ago, a fairly big story??

Keep trying :)

Sonic
15th April 2010, 21:39
No not Brunei. I thought that this would be answered by now as it was in the news just a couple of years ago, a fairly big story??

Keep trying :)

I'm just gonna get an atlas and start plucking guesses at random :D

Storm
16th April 2010, 09:39
Nepal?

Caroline
17th April 2010, 09:53
Oooh closer!

Daniel
17th April 2010, 10:32
You smell Caroline

EuroTroll
17th April 2010, 11:00
Maybe Bhutan? I know there've been changes there recently..

Daniel
17th April 2010, 11:05
Bhutan is correct.

EuroTroll
17th April 2010, 12:02
Cool! :cool:

I can't administer a Q for the next few days though. Would you like to ask one, Storm?

EuroTroll
17th April 2010, 16:19
Or anyone other!

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 07:42
No takers, huh? I'll ask one, then. :devil:

Which is the oldest state flag in the world still in use by an independent nation?

bowler
19th April 2010, 08:51
vatican

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 09:13
vatican

Nope. The current flag of Vatican is as old as the state in its current form - it was adopted in 1929.

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 09:24
The flag I'm looking for is probably from the early 13th century. 1219, according to legend.

Lousada
19th April 2010, 10:24
The flag I'm looking for is probably from the early 13th century. 1219, according to legend.

Switzerland?

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 10:33
Switzerland?

Good guess and very close in a way, but no.

bowler
19th April 2010, 11:24
lichtenstein

Sonic
19th April 2010, 12:32
Netherlands?

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 13:24
Now say it together boys: I was wrong. :p :

However, the flag of the Netherlands (from 1572) is the oldest tricolour still in use.

A clue: When I said Switzerland was close, I meant in appearance.

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 15:31
The legend places the origin of the flag to the Battle of Lyndanisse, near the current city of Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, on June 15th 1219.

The battle was going badly for the ..., and defeat seemed imminent. But then, right when the ... were about to give up, the flag fell from heaven. Grasping the flag before it could ever touch the ground, the king took it in his hand, and proudly waved it in front of his discouraged troops, giving them hope, and leading them to victory.

So this flag helped the ... invasion force slaughter a good many of my ancestors and get a foothold in Estonia. :hmph:

Of course, it's... ahem, not historically accurate. Flags don't fall from the sky, do they. :)

edv
19th April 2010, 16:31
Ah. Something to do with the Huns or the Rus? Maybe the Swedes? Those Scandinavians enjoyed ransacking their neighbours, didn't they? ,and the Swedish flag has a sort of cross, right? (Like the Swiss)?

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 16:43
Ah. Something to do with the Huns or the Rus? Maybe the Swedes? Those Scandinavians enjoyed ransacking their neighbours, didn't they? ,and the Swedish flag has a sort of cross, right? (Like the Swiss)?

Very warm now. ;)

Lousada
19th April 2010, 17:01
Denmark? Isn't the English flag based on the Danish flag?

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 17:11

I'm not sure about Danish-English connection, other than that they're both basically crusader flags.

Yes, Denmark is correct! :up: Your Q Lousada.

Lousada
19th April 2010, 18:15
I'm not good at questions :\

There is a "Self-governed Monastic State of the Holy Mountain." What's the name of the mountain?

Lousada
19th April 2010, 18:23
I'm not sure about Danish-English connection, other than that they're both basically crusader flags.

There is no connection. Probably got my urban legends mixed up again :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2010, 19:37
I'm not good at questions :\

There is a "Self-governed Monastic State of the Holy Mountain." What's the name of the mountain?

Gibralter?

Lousada
19th April 2010, 19:38
Gibralter?

Nope.

janvanvurpa
19th April 2010, 19:57

The Union Jack is a amalgam of to start a) The cross of St.George---white field with red cross and B) then the cross of St.Andrew which is blue field with the white cross in X and finally in 1804~~ish they added C) the cross of St.Patrick which was white field and the red X.

The Swedish flag was supposedly the cross of St. Erik inspired when they were setting off from right where the Finland boats today dock by Slussen at the foot of "Gamla Stan" the Old City on the way to kick some Russian ass cause the Rus and Ukrainians were behind on the protection money the Swedes had managed to squeeze out of them. The story goes they flipped a coin which was they were going to sail, either down the coast and hop over to Gotland and then short hop to what was later Pomerania then coast along the Southern shore of sea and thence to Pskov, Novgorod, Kiev etc, or sail thru the islands to Finland and coast along Finlands Southern Coast and around that way. They decided to go and teach the Finns who were bothering them a lesson, sailed that way and conquered the Finns and gave them a choice to die or come with them and kill Russian, and naturally the Finns thought it'd be more to to kill Russians and so they did and did side by side with the Swedes for about 850 years till the war of 1808-1809.

Danmarks flagg came about according to legend:
Historie
Velkendt maleri af Christian August Lorentzen fra 1809 af begivenhederne i 1219

Ifølge legenden faldt Dannebrog ned fra himlen under slaget ved Lyndanisse (i dag Tallinn i Estland) den 15. juni 1219, den dag som vi i dag kalder Valdemarsdag (Se også Anders Sunesen og Valdemar 2. Sejr). Korstoget i 1219 var med en mægtig hær, som esterne ikke kunne stille noget op imod. Det er dog usikkerhed om tid og sted er korrekte[2].

"accord to legend the "Dannebrog" (their name for the flag) fell down from heaven during the battle at Lyndanisse (today Talinn in Estonia) the 15th of June 1219, the day we today call 'Valdemarsday" (see also Anders Sunesen and Valdemar 2) The Crusade in 1219 was with a powerful army which the Estonians could not stand up to. It is uncertain if the time and place ar correct"

Den ældste kilde siger: Danske i året 1208 kæmpede i Livland, i nutidens Estland på et sted som kaldes Fellin (Viljandi), og (da de næsten var slået) ydmygt påkaldte Guds hjælp, da opnåede de den nåde, at de straks modtog et flag, som faldt ned fra himlen, tegnet med et hvidt kors på en ulden dug. Traditionen fortæller videre, at en himmelsk røst samtidig fortalte, at danskerne ville sejre under dette tegn, hvilket de også gjorde.[3]. Det er usikkert hvad der egentlig skete under slaget ved Lyndanisse eller slaget ved Fellin, og kilderne er først nedskrevet 300 år efter begivenhederne skulle have fundet sted [2]

So yeah crusade but like so many up North it was a crusade Eastward against "heathen" who had not be "Christianized" yet, rather than to the Holy lands and Jerusalem.

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 20:41
Nice to see you around here again, John. :wave:

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 08:21
Lousada, how about Mount Athos? The place to where no female of any species is allowed.

Lousada
20th April 2010, 10:57
Lousada, how about Mount Athos? The place to where no female of any species is allowed.

You got it :up:

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 11:47
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/CO2_per_capita_per_country.png

What does this map describe?

Lousada
20th April 2010, 12:50
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/CO2_per_capita_per_country.png

What does this map describe?

tons p.c. p.a. ;)

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 13:02
tons p.c. p.a. ;)

No doubt! :) But tons of what?

gadjo_dilo
20th April 2010, 13:33
No doubt! :) But tons of what?

sheep meat :laugh:

Caroline
20th April 2010, 17:15
That's really hard :s I was thinking of some emissions but not sure what.

Caroline
20th April 2010, 17:17
Methane?

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 18:36
You're not far from the answer, Caroline!

schmenke
20th April 2010, 19:50
Refuse/garbage production?

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 19:58
Colder. ;)

edv
20th April 2010, 21:48
Well, I suspect PCPA means Per Capita Per Annum

How about Water Utilized in Bathing? LOL

Mark in Oshawa
20th April 2010, 21:50
This Carbon emissions? Per capita?

donKey jote
20th April 2010, 21:58
if you mean Plant Food emissions (CO2), you´re probably right ;)

EuroTroll
21st April 2010, 01:03
The right answer is indeed CO2 emissions, in tons per capita per annum. Your Q, Mark!

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 03:15
The right answer is indeed CO2 emissions, in tons per capita per annum. Your Q, Mark!

Canada is a very heavy Carbon per annum emitter. Between our large infrastructure in a large spread out country, and our heavy industrial base, plus the resource based processing, we are doomed. OH ya..and our lousy cold winters!

So I was able to grasp it.

Anyhow...IN a more light and easy vein.....there only two nations in the world that are considered to be "double landlocked" or surrounded by nations that also don't have a coast. Two nations, surrounded by other landlocked nations.

Name them.

gadjo_dilo
21st April 2010, 09:20
One of them is definitely Liechtenstein. For the other I have to see a map.

EuroTroll
21st April 2010, 09:32
Great question! :up:

No idea. :)

Sonic
21st April 2010, 09:44
Now this I know!

Uzbekistan is the other.

I was researching a question similar to this one last night regarding enclave countries (in the wild hope I might finally get the right answer - then i'd be able to ask an awesome question) and I spotted the "double landlocked" contries then.

gadjo_dilo
21st April 2010, 09:59
But Uzbekistan is neighbouring the Aral Sea.....

Sonic
21st April 2010, 10:31
But Uzbekistan is neighbouring the Aral Sea.....

Tis true. But I believe the definition of landlocked still holds true as there is no direct path to an ocean etc.

EuroTroll
21st April 2010, 11:14
Yeah, a mighty lake it once was... Now it's three small lakes and a desert. :eek:

http://unimaps.com/aral-sea/aral-pic.gif

Sonic
21st April 2010, 12:58
Wow! Excuse my ignorance but is this human over use?

Sonic
21st April 2010, 13:03
Woah! Just scanned the internet and answered my own question. :(

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 14:21
Gadjo got one, Sonic the other...the two of you can fight over who goes here....lol

Caroline
21st April 2010, 17:05
Possibly of little interest to people - and maybe not available to people outside of the UK - but this show looks great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s2w83

For all us geographers ( and for me, a once upon a time aspiring cartographer :( ) it looks pretty interesting. :)

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 19:23
Possibly of little interest to people - and maybe not available to people outside of the UK - but this show looks great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s2w83

For all us geographers ( and for me, a once upon a time aspiring cartographer :( ) it looks pretty interesting. :)

OH this is COOL....and yes...I like you were an aspiring cartographer until I realized it didn't pay well and computers were replacing the art really.

Sonic
21st April 2010, 22:32
Gadjo got one, Sonic the other...the two of you can fight over who goes here....lol

Its only fair that I be a gentleman and.........steam in and steal the go! ;)

Can you tell me what is Europe's wettest capital city? i.e. the highest annual rain fall?

CarlMetro
21st April 2010, 22:49
Amsterdam?

Lousada
21st April 2010, 22:55
Oslo?

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 23:09
Its only fair that I be a gentleman and.........steam in and steal the go! ;)

Can you tell me what is Europe's wettest capital city? i.e. the highest annual rain fall?

Reykjavik?

Sonic
21st April 2010, 23:27
Nope. Look further east ;) :p

Edit: according to wiki there are parts of iceland with very high rainfall figures, but not in the capital. :)

CarlMetro
21st April 2010, 23:30
Ljubjana?

edv
22nd April 2010, 01:00
Dublin?

gadjo_dilo
22nd April 2010, 08:14
I thought it's Bruxelles but if you say it's in the East all I can say is that I'm happy it's not Bucharest. :laugh:
I hate humidity.

Sonic
22nd April 2010, 10:01
So far, no.

But Carl Metro is closest geographically (and rainfall) wise.

gadjo_dilo
22nd April 2010, 10:40
No way...It can't be in the ex-Yugoslavian space.....

Lousada
22nd April 2010, 11:50
Skopje?

Mark in Oshawa
22nd April 2010, 14:53
So far, no.

But Carl Metro is closest geographically (and rainfall) wise.

Well since I see the flag of St. Andrew's there....I am going to say Edinburgh?

Sonic
22nd April 2010, 18:46
Well since I see the flag of St. Andrew's there....I am going to say Edinburgh?

Hehehe! We do complain like it rains all the time but according to wiki Scotland lags well behind our winner.

Clue: The wettest capital city in Europe does indeed lie in one of the former Yugoslav republics.

edv
22nd April 2010, 19:33
How about Podgorica (or however you spell that!), although it is inland and over a mountain range, like the rest of those capitals.

Sonic
22nd April 2010, 20:33
How about Podgorica (or however you spell that!), although it is inland and over a mountain range, like the rest of those capitals.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Nearly 1600mm or rain per year.

edv
23rd April 2010, 00:39
I have been called the Father of Geography
I invented latitude and longitude
I calculated Earth's circumference without leaving my country

Who am I?

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 06:33
Edv....that would be Aristotle?

gadjo_dilo
23rd April 2010, 08:07
God?

:laugh:

Sonic
23rd April 2010, 08:43
Edv....that would be Aristotle?

I'm not sure it is. Same time period - I think - but someone else. Damn and blast.......I can't remember his name! Grrrrrrr.

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 10:01
Euclid?

Storm
23rd April 2010, 10:57
Argh..I can't remember the name but was he not the guy who took readings of shadows at 2 different places and calculated the distances from mathematics?
Could be Euclid..

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2010, 11:44
Archimedes? I know he worked with mathematical calculations and logic.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 15:31
Until Edv comes back..I stand by my answer. I am not 100% sure I am right, but I know it isn't Euclid or Archimedes...

edv
23rd April 2010, 16:38
Storm...you've got the right guy. He took measurements at the solstice at Aswan (Elephantine Island) and Alexandria and figured it out with amazing accuracy. No one has his name yet, though.
It is a tough name to remember...I learned it from Carl Sagan and his 'Cosmos' series...will never forget Carl's voice wrapping his tongue around that name LOL...

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2010, 16:47
Storm...you've got the right guy. He took measurements at the solstice at Aswan (Elephantine Island) and Alexandria and figured it out with amazing accuracy. No one has his name yet, though.
It is a tough name to remember...I learned it from Carl Sagan and his 'Cosmos' series...will never forget Carl's voice wrapping his tongue around that name LOL...
Euclid eh? here I was thinking he was purely a mathematician....

Oh well...the man was a genius anyhow....

As was Sagan, who I never got to see enough of with Cosmos. I just remember him with Johnny Carson and his classic "Billions and Billions of years ago" line...

edv
23rd April 2010, 17:08
To clarify, it was not Euclid.

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 21:48
A-----machos? :)

edv
23rd April 2010, 23:37
A-----machos? :)

?? Nope.

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 23:45
??

Just a shot in the dark. Without a gun. :D Seems like a generic ancient Greek name form..

Firstgear
24th April 2010, 04:18
Quote from page #1, post #1 of this thread: :p : :D

The shiny new forum needs a new Geography Thread!

As usual, the rules are simple: Answer the question correctly and then you are rewarded by posing the next question.
'Googling' typically not allowed, unless the poser says so.

OK Let's start.

Who invented Geography? It is the same guy who figured out the circumference of the Earth to within 100 miles by simply comparing the length of shadows in Greece versus Egypt (knowing the distance) at the same time on the same day. In 240AD, I believe.

edv
24th April 2010, 06:04
Holy cow! How old is that?? My alztheimers is kicking in LOL. I had a feeling this may have come up before, but in one of the original threads.

OK Firstgear....you found the answer, eh?

Guess it's your question now.

markabilly
24th April 2010, 07:01
Quote from page #1, post #1 of this thread: :p : :D
correct....Eratosthenes did it but not so sure as to how correct he was and did it sometime in bc, not ad....

Storm
26th April 2010, 07:58
Storm...you've got the right guy. It is a tough name to remember...I learned it from Carl Sagan and his 'Cosmos' series...will never forget Carl's voice wrapping his tongue around that name LOL...

Unfortunately I never heard Carl Sagan's show but I have his book and love it too..I have read that name many times, perhaps it would have stuck if I had heard it haha

EuroTroll
28th April 2010, 15:51
Señor Firstgear! ;)

Firstgear
28th April 2010, 16:39
Well actually I just clicked on the first page of the thread accidentally and saw the exact same question.....and I didn't even bother to scroll down to look at the answer. So I don't think I should be asking the next Q - and besides I don't have one ready. :(

Maybe edv wants to try again, or does someone alse have a Q they've been wanting to post?

Sonic
28th April 2010, 16:44
I could do a quick easy on to get the ball rolling again.

Which country has the worlds widest road?

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 16:50
Brazil

Sonic
28th April 2010, 16:53
Brazil

Bosh! Told you it was "simples".

160 cars wide - so I'm told.

Your turn that man.

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 16:55
Erm..........be right back.....

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 17:10
Which country wopuld have MOC as their official registration abreviation?

Lousada
28th April 2010, 17:39
Montenegro?

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 17:59
nope

Sonic
28th April 2010, 20:26
Morocco

You know its right!

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 21:56
I know it's not :p

Sonic
28th April 2010, 22:04
I know it's not :p

Damn and blast!

Monaco?

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 22:07
nope

Lousada
28th April 2010, 22:13
Macedonia?

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 22:20
nope

Lousada
28th April 2010, 22:29
It's a trick question, no country uses MOC?

figjam
28th April 2010, 22:34
nope

Are they a member of the Commonwealth?

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 22:45
It's a trick question, no country uses MOC?

No trick, there is definately a country that uses MOC

Mark in Oshawa
28th April 2010, 23:35
Monserrat?

figjam
28th April 2010, 23:36
No trick, there is definately a country that uses MOC

Having an interest in number plates and things I should know this and my guess is Mozambique which is a member of the Commonwealth even though it's history is Portugese.

CarlMetro
28th April 2010, 23:59
Mozambique

Correct, your Q.

Wasn't aware of the Commonwealth thing, you learn something new everyday :)

figjam
29th April 2010, 00:13
OK, continuing the number plate theme, what country uses RL as it's ISO code?

Lousada
29th April 2010, 11:16
The three letter ISO Country Code (ISO 3166-1 alpha-3) of Mozambique is MOZ. On the license plate they use MOC yes, but technically that wasn't the question. At the same time, no country uses the two letter ISO Country Code (ISO 3166-1 alpha-2) of RL.

What you both are asking for is the DSIT code. From Wikipedia (not the most reliable source, you are right):

The allocation of codes is maintained by the United Nations as the Distinguishing Signs of Vehicles in International Traffic (sometimes abbreviated to DSIT), authorized by the UN's Geneva Convention on Road Traffic of 1949 and the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic of 1968. Many vehicle codes created since the adoption of ISO 3166 coincide with ISO two- or three-letter codes.
Many codes coincide, but just not the two you asked for.

I realize this is overly pedantic for a simply online quiz. But in my opinion it is important to get things right. Especially if you don't want to look like a blabbering fool in the real world, I know from experience :(

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 11:31
The three letter ISO Country Code (ISO 3166-1 alpha-3) of Mozambique is MOZ. On the license plate they use MOC yes, but technically that wasn't the question. At the same time, no country uses the two letter ISO Country Code (ISO 3166-1 alpha-2) of RL.

What you both are asking for is the DSIT code. From Wikipedia (not the most reliable source, you are right):

Many codes coincide, but just not the two you asked for.

I realize this is overly pedantic for a simply online quiz. But in my opinion it is important to get things right. Especially if you don't want to look like a blabbering fool in the real world, I know from experience :(

geez.......I'm starting to realise why I quit here last time. Well done bud, guess I'll leave it to all you experts in future........... :rolleyes:

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 11:43
geez.......I'm starting to realise why I quit here last time. Well done bud, guess I'll leave it to all you experts in future........... :rolleyes:

Don't be so touchy or the BNP will get ya. :p : Lousada's info is valid and useful and he does say it's probably too pedantic for this quiz.

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 11:52
Yes he is correct, it is too pedantic. Added to the fact that the rules of this quiz used to include no internet searches or use of reference books......guess that does not apply anymore.

Lousada
29th April 2010, 13:51
When someone challenges you with facts it is of course a personal attack to you :rolleyes:
For your information I only researched it after you gave the answer and figjam already gave the new question. There I realised that there was a difference between ISO codes and license plate codes so I gave that information here. If figjam didn't specifically confuse ISO and DSIT I would have never brought it up.

Lousada
29th April 2010, 13:54
Oh, and as you may note, I did not answer figjams question, so fire away.

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 15:09
Oh, and as you may note, I did not answer figjams question, so fire away.

Which would now be the wrong thing to do, seeing as you so expertly pointed out with your research that we are talking bollox and asking questions about something which doesn't exist.

:dozey:

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 15:28
Which would now be the wrong thing to do, seeing as you so expertly pointed out with your research that we are talking bollox and asking questions about something which doesn't exist.

:dozey:

Are you seriously faulting a guy for correcting a mistake?? That's pathetic. And there's no reason the question shouldn't still be on.

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 15:31

A wild stab in the dark - Liberia?

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2010, 16:43
ISO codes...country codes....my head is spinning...lol

I would say Liberia too...but since I have been beaten to it......damn...what else starts with R?

Caroline
29th April 2010, 16:49
Lesotho?

Mark in Oshawa
29th April 2010, 16:53
Caroline..good answer...I think that will be it too...

Caroline
29th April 2010, 16:57
I am now starting to doubt whether Lesotho is even a republic! :P Oh well.

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 17:34
And there's no reason the question shouldn't still be on.

You can't have it both ways, my question and answer was wrong and with the explanation of my error he also stated that the next questions answer would also be incorrect, so what would be the point in answering it when pedence corner would only state the same as he did for me?

EuroTroll
29th April 2010, 17:48
You can't have it both ways, my question and answer was wrong and with the explanation of my error he also stated that the next questions answer would also be incorrect, so what would be the point in answering it when pedence corner would only state the same as he did for me?

Well, we can rephrase the question to: "What country uses RL as it's code?"

Now let's get on with it, shall we. ;)

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 17:57
The answer is Lebanon.............someone else can ask a proper question :\

Sonic
29th April 2010, 20:28
The answer is Lebanon.............someone else can ask a proper question :\

Well I still (man) love you Carl! :D

CarlMetro
29th April 2010, 20:36
:dozey: :laugh:

figjam
29th April 2010, 22:17
Yep I give up as well, it's lebanon, some one else can ask a question.....

Actually CarlMetro did not use 'ISO' in his original question, I mistakenly used in in my question with regards to Lebanon, So CarlMetro was in fact correct. I got it wrong by mentioning ISO.

figjam
29th April 2010, 22:41
Yep I give up as well, it's lebanon, some one else can ask a question.....

Actually CarlMetro did not use 'ISO' in his original question, I mistakenly used in in my question with regards to Lebanon, So CarlMetro was in fact correct. I got it wrong by mentioning ISO.

Taken from europlate.org.uk of which I am a member, so I really should have known better.

1932-56 international identification letters MOC were in use

1957-75 international identification letter P (Portugal) used.

1975 international identification letters MOC resumed on independence.

Sonic
4th May 2010, 17:34
Bump! :D (I like the quiz - so sue me ;) )

Getting started again;

Which is the only country to not have coin currency (ie only notes)?

Caroline
4th May 2010, 20:08
Vietnam?

Sonic
4th May 2010, 20:32
Vietnam?

Nope. (However it should be noted that I have yet to confirm the answer with a second source - so it could be BS - but still fun :) ).

Caroline
4th May 2010, 20:36
No don't worry - I just remembered that they produce coins. I still have some somewhere but they are worth very little so don't remember using them much when I was there. Good Q though!

CarlMetro
4th May 2010, 21:15
Zimbabwe?

fandango
4th May 2010, 21:18
Scotland?

Sonic
4th May 2010, 22:45
I think Carl, you could probably make a good case to include Zimbabwe on the list of coinless countries.

But as far as I know (or should I say as far as the interweb has told me) the country that is the right answer has no legal coin currency, whereas Zimbabwe's coins just aren't worth anything following rampant inflation.

Could be wrong tho :)

edv
5th May 2010, 16:03
Brazil.
My logic is based on those string bikinis....difficult to store coins, but ok for folding bills and tucking them in.

Sonic
5th May 2010, 18:07
Edv = genius! I soooo wish that was correct. :D

Ok general clue; this is an asian country.

edv
5th May 2010, 19:08
OK How about Thailand and the Baht? A good Crossword currency, that. Sounds bahtty enough?

CarlMetro
5th May 2010, 20:15
Burma?

Sonic
5th May 2010, 21:07
Not yet. I'll give another clue in a bit.

Mark in Oshawa
5th May 2010, 22:25
Brunei?

Sonic
5th May 2010, 23:02
Ok, bigger clue. This country is landlocked and was under french control until the 1950's.

donKey jote
5th May 2010, 23:11
Laos

Tomi
5th May 2010, 23:20
Cambodja

Sonic
6th May 2010, 14:33
Laos

Ding Dong. A winner!

"Laos also has less money in circulation than any other country, only about $1 per person. And Laos is the only nation on earth without coins...

Your turn.

Storm
7th May 2010, 08:07
levantate donkeY

donKey jote
7th May 2010, 19:39
don´t have a clue about their coins or wotnots but landlocked asian ex-french could only be Laos...

anyway, if it were an option, how many uninhabited islands could Greece sell to pay off it´s debt ? :devil:

CarlMetro
7th May 2010, 22:17
10?

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2010, 15:05
100?

donKey jote
8th May 2010, 18:28
how about to the nearest 1000? :dozey: :p

Sonic
8th May 2010, 19:14
62,397! Win! But probably epic fail :D

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2010, 21:08
2000?

donKey jote
8th May 2010, 21:16
nope

Mark in Oshawa
8th May 2010, 21:36
Good lord..how many islands do they own???

edv
8th May 2010, 22:35
I'd guess less than 500 islands

Caroline
8th May 2010, 23:20
There are too many islands to count! But then we are only looking for the uninhabited ones so I shall guess....30?

donKey jote
9th May 2010, 01:34
I guess I´ll have to take the nearest 10000 :s :p

Tazio
9th May 2010, 06:25
In round numbers I would say about 377 :roll:

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2010, 06:34
This is making me very close to Wiki'ing the answer, and moving on until someone else gets it...lol

dunes
9th May 2010, 08:09
just a guess around 37,000 uninhabited islands. uninhabited also meaning no resousable income.

Sonic
9th May 2010, 08:20
Can we play higher or lower?!

Nice to see you. To see you *claps*

:D

donKey jote
9th May 2010, 18:53
higher than 377, lower than 37000 :dozey: :p

Tazio
10th May 2010, 01:07
512 :rolleyes: :)

Easy Drifter
10th May 2010, 04:18
Not enough! :D

dunes
10th May 2010, 05:06

Tazio
10th May 2010, 13:40
666 :eek:

Sonic
10th May 2010, 21:44

Sonic
12th May 2010, 17:41
Come on Donkey! A clue would help :)

Firstgear
12th May 2010, 18:12
Come on Donkey! A clue would help :)

A clue?

He's already said it's in between 377 and 37000, and you only need to be within 10000.

You can cover that entire range (377-37000) with TWO guesses.

So my guess is TWO :p

donKey jote
12th May 2010, 19:28
clues?

135 Billion Euros within the next 3 years... would make it roughly 20 M€ per island ;)

to the nearest 1000 :o

begins with 6 :dozey:

link here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8549793.stm to check your answers :vader:

over to mark in the shower... he was closest so far :up:

14th May 2010, 06:04
Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
http://www.zstar.hk
http://www.tigersupermall.com

edv
17th May 2010, 17:20
OK
Time for a new question.
This one is about Unusual Borders
The following map shows 3 countries with an unusual border configuration.
Your job is to identify Country #1, #2 and #3
FYI North is at the top, as normal. Also, Bing and Mapquest show this configuration, but Google shows Country #2 as being even narrower...less than 200m in some places!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/crap/weird-borders.jpg

CarlMetro
17th May 2010, 23:07
Israel, Lebanon, Syria?

edv
17th May 2010, 23:44
Israel, Lebanon, Syria?

Interesting guess, but not correct.
Clues will be forthcoming if no one gets close.

Storm
18th May 2010, 06:50
can't see the bloody image from work :(

Caroline
18th May 2010, 07:51
Ghana, Togo, Benin?