PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is Your Geography?? [3]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

markabilly
16th May 2009, 17:26
Yeah, when I started trying to find the latest about minnesota as to whether it really has some serious support for the finds (or whether it is as some say-and probably most true, a fraud or just something else,) I think I came across what Easy is talking about, but unlike donKey, I will leave it to others cause I think it might be cheating....

Of course, I do remember mine that went on and on, even for days after I asked do you need another hint about the horse latitude question until the donKey cheated..........

Caroline
16th May 2009, 18:24
i believe the same can be said about either the irish or welsh, but one of those ( i don't remeber which) showed up long before the vikies, if the legends are to be beleived

Personally, I believe Irish sailors were landing in america for years before and after the vikes, as I know how those people are, and then add in a little alcohol, and they could end up anywhere.... :beer:

I think you are referring to St Brendan who went sailing across the Atlantic in the 6th century. In the seventies (maybe early eighties) a group got together and recreated his voyage. They proved that the technology of the time was capable of such a journey.

Sorry, I don't know the name of the town you are looking for.

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2009, 15:21
Drifter, I am going to say Brainerd Minnesota....but I personally doubt the Vikings getting that far. That said, if they got into Hudson bay and came up the river systems inland up into Lake Winnipeg and the Red, there is no limit to where they may have ended up...

Easy Drifter
17th May 2009, 15:50
Close. You went past the place.
Think of a certain Boeing 767 with the nickname the ----- Glider.
There were quite a few Blonde, Blue eyed Indians in the area when the first trappers arrived centuries later.
An aquaintance when racing there in the 70's asked about wine in the best restuarant in town.
The waitress replied 'Do you want the red or the clear?' :eek:

Easy Drifter
20th May 2009, 00:36
I thought that last hint was a real giveaway.
Discovery Channel have done a story on the plane on 'Mayday', although not totally true.

steve_spackman
20th May 2009, 03:26
Close. You went past the place.
Think of a certain Boeing 767 with the nickname the ----- Glider.
There were quite a few Blonde, Blue eyed Indians in the area when the first trappers arrived centuries later.
An aquaintance when racing there in the 70's asked about wine in the best restuarant in town.
The waitress replied 'Do you want the red or the clear?' :eek:

I know that the airline in question was Air Canada...

markabilly
20th May 2009, 04:14
I think this locatiuon is more legend than fact....sort of like Minnesota....so when you tell us the name of the g.........airliner, please cite sources that demonstrate reliability....please!!!!
or I will tell some more jokes about your house and dogs...

Easy Drifter
20th May 2009, 06:09
The Gimli Glider. An Air Canada 767 totally ran out of fuel and literally glided in. The TV story has Drag Races going on. It was Sports Car races and the track marshalls put out the fire on the brakes. There is a drag strip there too.
The remains of a Norse settlement have been unearthed near Gimli, Manitoba on the shores of Lake Winnipeg and authentized by at least one University research team. National Geographic also reported on it several years ago. I saw the article but don't remember when it was written.
I think the most miserable race I was ever at was at 'Grimli' as the Formula Atlantic teams called it. It was late June and just above the freezing point. High winds and just pouring rain. No matter what you wore you were soaked and half frozen. No shelter from the wind or rain during the race.
It was Gilles Villeneuve's first Atlantic win and he spun about 7 times! Everybody else spun even more often. Huge puddles all over the track and you couldn't get any heat in the tires. I think we finished 7th with about 14 spins in 80 laps. Despite a plastic cover my electronic stop watch crapped out from water and I had to rely on my 3 old analog watches. One of the very few times I was not able to keep the race positions in my head.
I have been at races where it snowed but that was the most miserable. Being
late June nobody had winter type clothes. Never made that mistake again but all other years after were nice! So had the earlier years.
I was flying back to Toronto (the only one on the team who was). One of the other drivers gave me a lift and we went to his motel first where we both had hot showers and dry clothes. Our team towed with and stayed in a Winnie.
Their showers were get wet, soap and rinse, before the water ran out! No furnace either.
Over to you Markabilly.

markabilly
20th May 2009, 14:01
here is toughie---name the racetrack where, if ever, easy won his first race???????????????
and as a bonus where nicky hayden, kevin schwantz and colin edwards won their first road races on a paved racetrack.....Hint-the latter is the same track, but as to easy??????????????????????

Tazio
20th May 2009, 14:18
here is toughie---name the racetrack where, if ever, easy won his first race???????????????
and as a bonus where nicky hayden, kevin schwantz and colin edwards won their first road races on a paved racetrack.....Hint-the latter is the same track, but as to easy?????????????????????? I'm going to take a couple wild guesses!
You may have given away the latter part on another thread. So I will say Oakhill.
As for Easy......I will guess The Roman Coliseum! :burnout:

Easy Drifter
20th May 2009, 15:05
Ben Hur was one tough competitor!
Actually never won outright. Multi class wins and 3 second overalls was the best I did.

schmenke
20th May 2009, 18:41
I thought this was a geography thread :confused: :mark:

markabilly
21st May 2009, 03:16
yeah it looked like Easy should be able to figure out where he won (geography question) , but since he can't and tazio actually remembers what he reads for about a day or so, I guess he is the winner..... :rolleyes:

but question for easy, does charles heston really look like Ben Hur or was Heston miscast....., :confused: ...

Tazio
21st May 2009, 07:12
Manaus, Brazil sits at the confluence of the Amazon River and which other river?

Caroline
21st May 2009, 17:24
Manaus, Brazil sits at the confluence of the Amazon River and which other river?

Rio Negro?

edv
21st May 2009, 18:32
Xingu?

Tazio
22nd May 2009, 00:55
Rio Negro?Correct
Srry I took so long to get back to you! I Just flew from San Diego to Baltimore
Great Job! :)

Easy Drifter
22nd May 2009, 04:31
Hopefully not upsetting Schmenke, Taz but I bet your arms are tired from all that flapping.

Tazio
22nd May 2009, 15:19
I bet your arms are tired from all that flapping. :mad: :p :

Caroline
22nd May 2009, 15:47
Question: In which country is Lake Nyos? It made the world news in the 80s when poisonous gases escaped, killing nearly 2,000 people. Another clue, it can be found in a region of tectonic instability and actually nestles in an extinct volcano.

:)

edv
22nd May 2009, 15:52
I remember that story. Pretty creepy phemonenon. I can't exactly remember the country, though, maybe Cameroon?

Caroline
22nd May 2009, 15:57
You are correct edv!! :)

And yes, a pretty frightening story. CO2 was released into the air by a small eruption in the lake. It then enveloped the land killing local people, livestock and some vegetation.

Camelopard
22nd May 2009, 16:18
You are correct edv!! :)

And yes, a pretty frightening story. CO2 was released into the air by a small eruption in the lake. It then enveloped the land killing local people, livestock and some vegetation.

Which part of Cameroon, the former British part where they eat sliced white bread and drink tea, or the former French part where they eat baguettes and drink coffee? Seriously this is the case!

wiki stuff:

Cameroon became a German Colony in 1884. After World War I, the territory was divided between France and Britian as League of Nations mandates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Nations_mandate). The Union des Populations du Cameroun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_the_Peoples_of_Cameroon) political party advocated independence but was outlawed in the 1950s. It waged war on French and Cameroonian forces until 1971. In 1960, French Cameroun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameroun) became independent as the Republic of Cameroun under President Ahmadou Ahidjo. The southern part (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cameroons) of British Cameroons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameroons) merged with it in 1961 to form the Federal Republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_republic) of Cameroon. The country was renamed the United Republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_state) of Cameroon in 1972 and the Republic of Cameroon in 1984.

Camelopard
23rd May 2009, 17:43
:confused: Where is EDV with a new question.....

edv
23rd May 2009, 22:40
OK...sorry I took a while as I was busy BBQing a vast amount of stuffed potatoes.

So, where would I be if I saw this bunch of identically dressed characters?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Geography-01.jpg

donKey jote
23rd May 2009, 22:53
over at Markabilly's ?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

edv
23rd May 2009, 22:58
HeeHaw

Camelopard
24th May 2009, 08:01
urop? somewheres?

edv
24th May 2009, 16:39
urop? somewheres?
Yes, somewheres in urop.

donKey jote
24th May 2009, 19:42
venice?

edv
24th May 2009, 22:00
Nope. Hint: I first saw these guys on a label on a bottle of beer.

Caroline
24th May 2009, 22:31
beer? Belgium? My first thought was also venice.

edv
24th May 2009, 22:37
Yes, it is in Belgium. I was thinking maybe to ask for someone to identify the city, but I reckon that it is somewhat obscure. The place is Binche, south of Brussels. The character they dress up as is Gilles the Binche. The beer is called Binchois, and I went there a few years ago to try to find the brewery, without luck.

Your Question Carrie...and don't forget to make it google-proof!

Camelopard
26th May 2009, 09:54
Help, I've withdrawal symptoms appearing, new question please, pretty please, Caroline?.......

Caroline
26th May 2009, 13:44
:) Ok I have a Q.

No googling (or indeed boobling) please.

Where am I? Give as much detail as you like but ideally I am looking for the city. :)

Coordinates & Location Type
Area Type:Hydrographic
Location Type: Lake
Latitude:46.41667
Longitude: 6.5
Latitude (DMS): 46° 25' 0 N
Longitude (DMS): 6° 30' 0 E

gadjo_dilo
26th May 2009, 14:11
Lake Como

Caroline
26th May 2009, 14:17
Sorry, not Lake Como.

gadjo_dilo
26th May 2009, 14:20
Then somewhere in Switzerland. Don't know the swiss lakes ( missed that lesson, probably )

edv
26th May 2009, 15:10
Geneva?

Caroline
26th May 2009, 16:27
edv is right, it's Geneva. Lake Geneva is the exact position. Bad luck gadjo_dilo! You were almost there.

edv
26th May 2009, 20:43
I only guessed that because gadjo said Switzerland!

edv
26th May 2009, 22:38
What is This?:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Misc/map1.jpg

schmenke
26th May 2009, 23:38
A red "x" in a white box :p :

:mark:

Breeze
26th May 2009, 23:50
What is This?:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Misc/map1.jpg

That, my freinds, is a nation in deep doo doo. It used to be a great place to go mountain climbing, but not so much right now.

Breeze
26th May 2009, 23:52
try this shape:

Breeze
26th May 2009, 23:57
why can't I see that attached image? schmenke, a little help please?

Storm
27th May 2009, 08:08
for edv: can't see
Breeze - map looks like Nepal (rotated to its left + your clues)

on second thoughts it could be Pak!

schmenke
27th May 2009, 14:28
why can't I see that attached image? schmenke, a little help please?

You're asking the wrong person :s . I can't see edv's image, but I can open your attachment, which, as Storm suggests, looks like Nepal with North pointing to the left. ...Or perhaps Bangladesh?

Breeze
27th May 2009, 16:07
I rotated it to its correct orientation, so not Nepal. And Pak is definitely in deep doo doo right now.

edv
27th May 2009, 20:14
Well, Breeze got it right.
Dunno why some cannot see the inline image. Maybe you're blocking images from Photobucket in your browser?
As for attachments, for some reason when I click on an attachment, Firefox wants to download it to my PC whereupon I have to open it in a photo viewer!??
Strange stuff.
Anyway, your go Breeze.

Breeze
27th May 2009, 22:37
Its been such a long, long time. I wonder if I can come up with something worthwhile..........

schmenke
28th May 2009, 17:16
Time to pull your feathered friend out of retirement... ;)

Caroline
28th May 2009, 19:15
Time to pull your feathered friend out of retirement... ;)

eeek!

edv
28th May 2009, 19:28
You mean Edgar the Crow?

donKey jote
28th May 2009, 23:48
BANG!

too late :p :

Camelopard
29th May 2009, 09:36
You mean Edgar the Crow?

Is that the question?

P.S., who is Edgar the Crow?

donKey jote
29th May 2009, 17:20
was :p :
KO1T7b07I7E

Breeze
30th May 2009, 20:14
Well, as it happens, Edgar was in town this January past for Obama's inauguration. Edgar, in case you didn't know, is a bleedin' liberal, and was high spirits over the prospect of his kindred spirits have their chance to screw things up.

I had him over for a sumptuous dinner of terrine de RK Possum & squirrel (I had the shrimp etouffe). As you might expect, after sampling various vintages Edgar began to regale me with stories of his recent travels. He's a racing fan just as we are, and he'd been following the A1GP circuit. Well, in light of local events, the discussion got on to the various merits of the differnt forms of government in the different countries he visited.

So, what I'm wondering is, how many of you can name the forms of govt. in the host countries for the first 5 races. For bonus points, can you identify which letter of the english alphabet did his path describe?

Breeze
30th May 2009, 20:37
Amendment, first 3 races, forget the alphabet letter.

donKey jote
30th May 2009, 20:47
bugger... missed again :(

edv
31st May 2009, 18:33
Well, I'll try to get it started:

1) New Zealand - Parlaimentary Democracy?
2) South Africa - Republic?
3) Portugal - Monarchy?

Breeze
2nd June 2009, 17:35
I know, its a lame question, but what do you expect from a distracted mind?

Edv, I won't question you on the accuracy of your gov't forms. Unfortunately you kind of have to know where the three races took place......

Caroline
6th June 2009, 15:14
I know that a race was held in China early on in the season. So I will put forward:
1. China - People's Republic etc etc
2. Netherlands - Monarchy
3. S Africa - Republic?

Breeze
6th June 2009, 22:26
I'd say thank god, Caroline, but being aethiest.......Your go.

Caroline
7th June 2009, 11:01
Breeze, you sound rather deflated....? Geo Q thread isn't that bad?

I am stumped for an original, intriguing question. But here goes anyway:

What's the common link?
1. Jomo Kenyatta
2. Menara
3. Sir Seretse Khama
4. Carthage

edv
7th June 2009, 18:29
Tunisia?

Breeze
10th June 2009, 18:17
Africa?

Camelopard
11th June 2009, 07:01
Breeze, you sound rather deflated....? Geo Q thread isn't that bad?

I am stumped for an original, intriguing question. But here goes anyway:

What's the common link?
1. Jomo Kenyatta
2. Menara
3. Sir Seretse Khama
4. Carthage

I can see a link between Jomo Kenyatta (first president of Kenya) and Sir Seretse Khama (first president of Botswana), but nothing springs mind to connect all 4.

Carthage Tunisia, Menara Morocco.

Camelopard
15th June 2009, 11:34
I'm going to have to boogle if I don't get anymore hints.. :)

Caroline
15th June 2009, 19:53
Sorry for delay in getting back - Africa is part of the link and yes, they were Presidents. The link isn't obvious really (sorry), hoping you can arrive at an answer. I'll be checking in again to see how you get on.

PS Don't Booble!!

donKey jote
15th June 2009, 20:41
all names of african airports ? :p :

Daniel
15th June 2009, 22:05
all names of african airports ? :p :
You would be correct little Donkey :p

Breeze
3rd July 2009, 04:17
bump

Caroline
4th July 2009, 16:10
bump

Yes. Bump indeed. Mr Donks, a question please.

donKey jote
5th July 2009, 19:14
ah caroline at last...
didn't know if I could trust that funny bloke of yours :p

might be more at home in the history thread, but where is or what was Zakantha?

hint: 39.68 :D

Daniel
5th July 2009, 19:20
Blame me will you Donks :p

donKey jote
5th July 2009, 19:28
I was just waiting for your boss to resurface :p

schmenke
6th July 2009, 21:21
...might be more at home in the history thread, but where is or what was Zakantha?

hint: 39.68 :D

39.68 sounds like a latitude. Somewhere in Greece?

I have no clue :dozey:

donKey jote
7th July 2009, 09:38
fairly close... the right part of the globe at least.

If this were the history thread I'd say "think elephants" :laugh:

but it's geography, so where am I ? :confused:

edv
7th July 2009, 15:10
Aha! A hint from the Donkey!
Elephants? That conjures up thoughts of Hannibal driving a herd of elephants from Carthage (Tunis) up through Spain, across southern France and over the Alps into Italy during the Punic Wars. As for "Zakantha" I would have no idea...is it the place where the elephants finally stopped advancing?

Tazio
7th July 2009, 19:52
Aha! A hint from the Donkey!
Elephants? That conjures up thoughts of Hannibal driving a herd of elephants from Carthage (Tunis) up through Spain, across southern France and over the Alps into Italy during the Punic Wars. As for "Zakantha" I would have no idea...is it the place where the elephants finally stopped advancing?
I had no clue so I looked it up. I thought I knew a lot in this arena, but its a total blank area for me. You are on the right track however. ;)

donKey jote
7th July 2009, 23:55
well done edv that's close enough :up:
Zakantha is the Carthaginian name of the main town a couple of km away from where I am at the moment (see location ;) ). Hannibal apparently took it from the iberian natives after a long siege. The iberians had hoped for help from Rome, but Rome couldn't be arsed... stage set for the second punic war.
Zakantha -> Saguntum -> Sagunto (-> Sagunt), about 30 km north of Valencia, or 300 north of Cartagena :D

(39.676095, -0.277373) for the ruins of the Roman fortress at the top of the hill overlooking fields of orange trees.

donKey jote
8th July 2009, 13:49
Hadn't been there for a while, but I made the most of a cloudy day just now to go up to the castle... they have a new museum bit and it turns out Saguntum was originally called "Arse" :laugh: :laugh:

So I am in the arse of the world :p :

markabilly
8th July 2009, 14:45
there is a greek island, famous in Homer, with a very similar name and a name still in use today (Zakanthos--which is what I thought the correct answer would be), unlike Zakantha, which is now really Sagunto
Jote needs to just spread his buzzard wings and fly up there

Tazio
8th July 2009, 18:16
Too easy of a hint!

Daedalus Flew to Sikania aka Sicily

Tazio
12th July 2009, 11:48
Well..... were waiting! :rolleyes:

tAZwC6LLThs

Tazio
13th July 2009, 13:42
Since I can't seem to get a ruling from the poser of the question, I will ask one.
Apologies if I have spoken out of turn.

This is the current flag of what Kingdom?

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~infinite/PeacePath_Flags_Data/TongaF.gif

Drew
13th July 2009, 18:22
Tonga, right?

Tazio
13th July 2009, 18:27
You are Correct Sir! :up:

Drew
16th July 2009, 18:19
I wanted to put a picture up to show you all, but I can't do it, so i'll have to describe it.

I went on holiday to Portugal a year ago and I stayed in one city. In this one city on the remains of an old town wall it said "Aqui nasceu Portugal" or "Portugal was born here" and is where Portuguese independence was claimed. What's the name of the city?

Tazio
16th July 2009, 19:41
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Guimar%C3%A3es_(Portugal).jpg

edv
17th July 2009, 00:35
Porto?

Drew
18th July 2009, 14:14
I'm gonna assume Tazio used the internet to find it out and didn't just happen to know. It's not porto :)

Tazio
18th July 2009, 14:29
I'm gonna assume Tazio used the internet to find it out and didn't just happen to know. It's not porto :) I had no idea!
You said you wanted to put up a picture, So I posted one. Have I pissed you off? ;)

Drew
21st July 2009, 16:58
I had no idea!
You said you wanted to put up a picture, So I posted one. Have I pissed you off? ;)

No no, it's just that you can find out the name of the city by looking at the picture properties :p :

donKey jote
22nd July 2009, 00:34
Guimar%C3%A3es ? :p :

trust drew to look at the picture properties :D

Tazio
22nd July 2009, 02:49
No no, it's just that you can find out the name of the city by looking at the picture properties :p :
Sorry Drew!
In the future I will try not to be such an interloper. It never really occurred to me since we're on the honor system here.
It’s way too easy to cheat, and anyone with half a brain could get that information with the info you supplied.
Cheating is between you (everyone) and their maker/s. I sleep pretty well at night. ;)
Except on race weekends when I have to get up at AM 4:30 to watch Freakin' quali, and the race. :mad: :p :

BTW...... Is that how you came up with Tonga so fast?????
:rotflmao:

Camelopard
4th August 2009, 11:56
And the winner is????????????

Drew
5th August 2009, 13:40
I guess it will have to be donks :) No that's not how I got the answer, I just knew that!

donKey jote
11th August 2009, 15:16
I guess it will have to be donks :) No that's not how I got the answer, I just knew that!
:p ;)

I haven't been online much lately...
here's the view outside my hotel window...
http://freenet-homepage.de/donks/P8090216.jpg

where am I?
name of the lake?
wtf am I doing here? :s

schmenke
11th August 2009, 15:52
Looks an awful lot like the mountains in Colorado.

Camelopard
11th August 2009, 16:53
Is that photo recent? If so somewhere in the southern hemisphere as the trees don't seem to have any leaves. South America?

donKey jote
12th August 2009, 11:17
no colorado
photo is very recent
south america no
southern hemisphere yes

hint: sounds almost like what markabilly's missus (bless 'er !) keeps calling him :dozey: :D

Camelopard
12th August 2009, 12:01
NZ, Queenstown, lake is Wakatipu?

WTF R U doing there? no idea! Skiing?

donKey jote
14th August 2009, 04:43
NZ yes
Not Queenstown (that was yesterday):
http://freenet-homepage.de/donks/P8130237.jpg

Lake Wa... nearly

wth am I doing here?
driving around the South Island
http://freenet-homepage.de/donks/P8130240.jpg
http://freenet-homepage.de/donks/P8130244.jpg

waiting for the thaw to end and for winter to return
http://freenet-homepage.de/donks/P8140260.jpg
We've already had to postpone our return for a week

If you don't get the name of the town and lake (begins with Wan and sounds like Markabilly)... take the next question anyway :up:

Camelopard
14th August 2009, 04:51
Lake Wanaka! A beautiful part of the world! Are you on holidays? Are you visiting Australia?

donKey jote
14th August 2009, 10:07
yep Wan_ka it is :D

we're supposed to be testing snow tyres, but the snow melted the day we arrived :( ;)

I fiddled a stopover in Brisbane on the way back to visit an old mate of mine, but it turns out he'll be in Cairns when we finally make it over there, and it's too late to change now :rolleyes:
oh well, I'll have to visit his missus instead :bandit:

Storm
14th August 2009, 10:21
lucky burro. any new Q?

Camelopard
16th August 2009, 00:01
One for fousto!

I'm an island in the southern Indian Ocean, I'm a nature reserve and one of the world's largest nesting sites for green turtles. I also have many goats introduced by settlers in the late 1800s.

Now there are no permanent human inhabitants although I have a rotating garrison and I'm visited by scientists.

Ruins and graves attest to several attempts at settlement from the 1860s to the 1920s.

My name is taken from that of a British ship, although I'm not Brtitish now and I'm also claimed by another country.

Daniel
16th August 2009, 00:07
Diego Garcia?

Camelopard
16th August 2009, 01:02
Diego Garcia?

Close but futher south, who does Fousto rant about the most, after muslims and terrorists and lefty crybabies.

malscar
16th August 2009, 12:51
Prince Edward Islands?

edv
16th August 2009, 16:30
Gotta be French Island!

Daniel
16th August 2009, 19:24
Close but futher south, who does Fousto rant about the most, after muslims and terrorists and lefty crybabies.
Crozet?

Camelopard
16th August 2009, 22:05
Not Prince Edward, not French Island but very very close, it is claimed by France, Madagascar also reckons it owns it, and sorry not Crozet.

You know how fousto continues to tire us with his rantings and ravings about ..........

Daniel
16th August 2009, 22:07
Not Prince Edward, not French Island but very very close, it is claimed by France, Madagascar also reckons it owns it, and sorry not Crozet.

You know how fousto continues to tire us with his rantings and ravings about ..........
TIRE? :p

Camelopard
16th August 2009, 22:15
TIRE? :p

Very close again, think laterally. Island is between Madagascar and Mozambique. When fousto is carrying on like a pork chop he likes to tell us that some continents will be overrun.

Camelopard
16th August 2009, 23:04
Very close again, think laterally. Island is between Madagascar and Mozambique. When fousto is carrying on like a pork chop he likes to tell us that some continents will be overrun.

Also the name of a famous car build by a company specialising in yoga positions!!! Now that really is obtruse.........

Daniel
16th August 2009, 23:29
Also the name of a famous car build by a company specialising in yoga positions!!! Now that really is obtruse.........
NFI.......

Camelopard
16th August 2009, 23:42
NFI.......

Come on Daniel, think!

Continent, car model name, not too many cars out there named after a continent, Lot us all sit back and give some thought to fousto's rantings about how .................. is doomed.

Camelopard
17th August 2009, 01:54
Come on Daniel, think!

Continent, car model name, not too many cars out there named after a continent, Lot us all sit back and give some thought to fousto's rantings about how .................. is doomed.

Hmmmmm, spelling mistake or a european sized clue?

Camelopard
17th August 2009, 09:24
Someone please have a guess, the answer is staring you in the face!

donKey jote
17th August 2009, 12:44
no, it's too ugly (the car) :p :laugh:

Daniel
17th August 2009, 13:29
Ah I get it now. I don't feel like answering though :p

edv
17th August 2009, 15:27
Ah I get it now. I don't feel like answering though :p

Me, too.

Camelopard
17th August 2009, 23:41
Me, too.

Why? What have I done to pee you both off?

Camelopard
17th August 2009, 23:52
The answer is Europa Island, someone else can ask a question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Island

edv
19th August 2009, 06:23
OK I'll bite.
What/Where is Australia's highest point?

Daniel
19th August 2009, 07:01
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not on mainland Australia

edv
26th August 2009, 16:14
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not on mainland Australia

Not good enough.. (in best Python voice)

Caroline
26th August 2009, 16:31
If it is not mainland Australia I am thinking it must be in Antarctica?

edv
26th August 2009, 16:42
Nope.

Caroline
26th August 2009, 16:44
Ok - I was thinking that because Mt Kosciuszko was a bit obvious. And the answers here are rarely that obvious :p

Schultz
26th August 2009, 21:56
Heard island?

edv
27th August 2009, 01:49
Heard island?
That's an island. I'm looking for Mt.Somethingorother

richermartyn
29th August 2009, 07:22
I think better then all.
Hi all people on this forum,
I am Richer Martyn.
If you want any help from me then tell me dear. I am always ready to help people in the world. I am new on this site so you might not get my reply anywhere.
Bye.

schmenke
29th August 2009, 16:55
:?: :s

crazzycat
31st August 2009, 09:17
I guess the highest point of Australia is Mount Kosciuszko

EuroTroll
12th March 2010, 10:09
Charging... clear... ZAP!!
-----

From where does the New York neighbourhood of Harlem get its name?

Lousada
12th March 2010, 11:38
Charging... clear... ZAP!!
-----

From where does the New York neighbourhood of Harlem get its name?

Haarlem, a city in The Netherlands.

EuroTroll
12th March 2010, 11:54
Haarlem, a city in The Netherlands.

Yes, baas! Haarlem, the capital of the province of North Holland. Please ask the next one!

In 1658, Peter Stuyvesant, the Director-General of the Dutch colony of Nieuw Nederland (New Netherland), founded the settlement of Nieuw Haarlem in the northern part of Manhattan Island as an outpost of Nieuw Amsterdam (New Amsterdam) at the southern tip of the island. After the English capture of New Netherland in 1664, the new English colonial administration renamed both the colony and its principal city "New York," but left the name of Haarlem more or less unchanged. The spelling changed to Harlem in keeping with contemporary English usage, and the district grew (as part of the borough of Manhattan) into the vibrant center of African American culture in New York City and the United States generally by the 20th century.

Lousada
15th March 2010, 22:24
I'll pass. Someone else please ask a new question.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 09:44
I'll give it another zap!

In Europe, which country has the most arable land and which the least? As a percentage of territory.

Excluding Monaco and the Holy See, which have none at all.

edv
16th March 2010, 15:03
I'll guess:
Most - France
Least - Andorra or Luxembourg

Daniel
16th March 2010, 15:08
Most? My guess would be the Netherlands because they're so flat. As for the least I'd have to go with one of Ed's guesses or Switzerland because it's mountainous.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 15:33
The best guesses so far are France and Andorra. France is 9th from the top with 33.5%, Andorra is 2nd from the bottom with 2.1%.

schmenke
16th March 2010, 15:42
Most: Spain?
Least: Liechtenstein?

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 15:43
The best guesses are still France and Andorra. A hint: neither of these countries are in the EU and both have a population of less than 5 million.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 15:56
And: if you take the traditional East-West divide in Europe, then one of these countries is Western and the other is Eastern.

edv
16th March 2010, 16:38
OK
Most:Ireland?
Least: Albania?

Hold it...Does anything grow in Scotland?

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 16:55
OK
Most:Ireland?
Least: Albania?

Hold it...Does anything grow in Scotland?

I count Scotland as part of the UK, which is average with its 23.3%. Albania is also average with 20.1%. Ireland's territory is 16.1% arable land. Keep in mind the non-EU criterion. ;)

I think the country with the least arable land is not very difficult to figure out. As for the country with the most, here's another hint: Dacia.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 17:21
The top 3:
1) .................
2) Ukraine, 53.8%
3) Denmark, 52.6%

The bottom 3:
1) .................
2) Andorra, 2.1%
3) Norway, 2.7%

Firstgear
16th March 2010, 17:28
How about Iceland for bottom rung?

edv
16th March 2010, 17:30
Yeah, Iceland sounds good, but so does Malta.

As for the most...it would have to be a country with very little in the way of mountains or big lakes, maybe Belarus?

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 17:36
Iceland is right! 0.1% arable land.

The other country borders Ukraine, but it's not Belarus.

edv
16th March 2010, 17:44
Iceland is right! 0.1% arable land.

The other country borders Ukraine, but it's not Belarus.
Well that leaves Latvia, Lithuania and Poland and Russia, but the latter 2 have mountains, right?
So one of the Baltic Countries, I'd guess.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 17:48
Well that leaves Latvia, Lithuania and Poland and Russia, but the latter 2 have mountains, right?
So one of the Baltic Countries, I'd guess.

No. This country is landlocked, even though it's very-very close to the Black Sea.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 18:03
Some picks from the list in the meanwhile:

4) Hungary, 49.6%
5) Lithuania, 44.8%
6) Poland, 40.3%
7) Romania, 39.5%
8) Czech Republic, 38.8%
9) France, 33.5%
11) Germany, 33.1%
18) Spain, 27.1%
19) Belarus, 26.8%
20) Italy, 26.4%
24) the UK, 23.2%
26) the Netherlands, 22.0%
39) Russia, 7.2%
40) Finland, 6.5%
41) Sweden, 5.9%

About 13% of the world's land is arable.

DonJippo
16th March 2010, 18:15
No. This country is landlocked, even though it's very-very close to the Black Sea.

Moldovia.

EuroTroll
16th March 2010, 18:23
Correct Don! :up:

Moldova's territory is 54.5% arable land, second in the world only to Bangladesh with 55.4%.

I'm gonna give it to Firstgear because he was first in getting one the countries right.

Firstgear
16th March 2010, 19:51
I don't have a Q ready at the moment, so feel free to go ahead if you have one DonJippo.

schmenke
17th March 2010, 00:16
Good Q btw studiose :)

EuroTroll
17th March 2010, 11:32
Thanks! I thought it was interesting too. Lots of surprises. Here's a nice map from Wikipedia for the overall picture.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Arable_land_percent_world.png/800px-Arable_land_percent_world.png

schmenke
17th March 2010, 13:32
That can't be right... it shows Canada as 0 - 4% :s I would have thought that the U.S. is much higher too.
I wonder if they're taking climate into consideration?

EuroTroll
17th March 2010, 13:55
In geography, arable land is an agricultural term, meaning land that can be used for growing crops. It [...] includes all land where soil and climate is suitable for agriculture, including forests and natural grasslands, and areas falling under human settlement.

So the climate is considered also, yes. The CIA Factbook has Canada at 4.6% and the US at 18%, so that's pretty similar...

Firstgear
17th March 2010, 14:00
OK, seeing as DonJippo didn't jump in, here's a Q:

At present, the "Island" of Loihi has a land surface area of 0 square kms.
Where or what is it?

Sonic
17th March 2010, 14:12
I'm gonna guess a volcanic island chain yet to emerge - perhaps near iceland?

Firstgear
17th March 2010, 14:20
volcanic island yet to emerge

Well you're correct on the "what", care to take another guess at "where"?

edv
17th March 2010, 14:38
Isn't there a 'new' island in Hawaii that emerges and then erodes and then emerges again?

Sonic
17th March 2010, 14:48
Isn't there a 'new' island in Hawaii that emerges and then erodes and then emerges again?

That's my next guess.

Firstgear
17th March 2010, 15:20
Just south of Hawaii is correct, the emerging & eroding must be another island though. Loihi isn't supposed to emerge for another 10,000 - 100,000 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loihi

Sonic & edv, I guess you two can fight over the next Q.

edv
17th March 2010, 16:12
OK I'll give it a go.
I posed this easy question years ago, but hopefully no one will remember, as I've added to it:

Q:
1) What do these 4 pictures have in common?
2) Identify each one.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Misc/edvq1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Misc/edvq2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Misc/edvq3.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/Misc/edvq4.jpg

EuroTroll
17th March 2010, 16:17
Nice one!

1) Sand? Sandstone, silica => glass. And pyramids!

2)
1 - One of the great pyramids of Egypt
2 - One of the Aztec ziggurats?
3 - no idea
4 - the glass pyramid in the center of the Louvre?

Sonic
17th March 2010, 16:30
Perhaps the 3rd image is the luxor casino?

chuck34
17th March 2010, 16:49
The third one is the TransAmerica Building in San Francisco.

edv
17th March 2010, 17:30
Wow that didn't take long!
1-Great pyramid of Giza
2-Chichen Itza
3-Transamerica
4-Louvre

Yes studiose, the theme is PYRAMIDS!

And since you got 3 of the 4, you beat chuck34 to the punch, so go ahead.

EuroTroll
17th March 2010, 17:33
I'm gonna give it to Sonic!

Sonic
17th March 2010, 19:45
I'm gonna give it to Sonic!

Ahhh cr@p. Now I've got to think! Blast. Check back soon for a legendary question of awesomeness.......now where's that Atlas? ;)

Sonic
17th March 2010, 22:16
Ok. I have consulted the oracle (my wife ;) ) and i have a question.

The Khmer civilization was located in which modern day countries? There are five, so lets say first to get three out of five wins!

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 22:31
Ok. I have consulted the oracle (my wife ;) ) and i have a question.

The Khmer civilization was located in which modern day countries? There are five, so lets say first to get three out of five wins!

Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Vietnam.

Sonic
17th March 2010, 22:40
Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Vietnam.

No one likes a smarty pants :p : :D

Go ahead that man. Question away.

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 23:02
ok....mmmmm Interesting..Ok. IN honour of St. Patrick's day, (it still is here anyhow), name me the 3 counties of Ireland that are part of "Ulster" but are NOT part of the political entity Northern Ireland.

Sonic
17th March 2010, 23:14
ok....mmmmm Interesting..Ok. IN honour of St. Patrick's day, (it still is here anyhow), name me the 3 counties of Ireland that are part of "Ulster" but are NOT part of the political entity Northern Ireland.

Holy mother of...... :eek:

Ummm. I can think of one (maybe). Donegal? Even if thats right, not a clue on the others!

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 23:23
One down...

I couldn't keep doing Canadian Geography questions...and I jsut happened to be doing some research on my family tree..and I am 5 generations from the old sod...sooooooo.....

Sonic
17th March 2010, 23:30
One down...

I couldn't keep doing Canadian Geography questions...and I jsut happened to be doing some research on my family tree..and I am 5 generations from the old sod...sooooooo.....

Well I'm chuffed to have got that one, but failing getting a map out I'm screwed for the others. Hell i struggle to remember street names in my own town! :dozey:

So you'll be having a wee drink on your great, great grandparents then? ;)

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2010, 23:35
Well I'm chuffed to have got that one, but failing getting a map out I'm screwed for the others. Hell i struggle to remember street names in my own town! :dozey:

So you'll be having a wee drink on your great, great grandparents then? ;)

Yes...my Great Great Grandfather came to Canada in 1867, the founding year of the Dominion of Canada. He settled in Forester's Falls Ontario, which is near What body of water where a significant tourist activity occurs? I will take THAT as answer as well. The other bonus question to take over is what was the Province of Ontario's name BEFORE it was Ontario?

Sonic
17th March 2010, 23:55
Yes...my Great Great Grandfather came to Canada in 1867, the founding year of the Dominion of Canada. He settled in Forester's Falls Ontario, which is near What body of water where a significant tourist activity occurs? I will take THAT as answer as well. The other bonus question to take over is what was the Province of Ontario's name BEFORE it was Ontario?

Pass, pass and pass! Waaaaaay out of my depth with Canadian geography. :)

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 01:59
Despite the fact my ancestors got deported from Scotland to Ireland for creating so much havoc on the Scotland/England border I am lost on Ireland.
Foresters Falls is not all that far from Calagbogie Race track or Ottawa but I expect the body of water is the Ottawa River. Possibly White Water Rafting in that part of the Ottawa river in Upper Canada.

Mark in Oshawa
18th March 2010, 04:26
Pass, pass and pass! Waaaaaay out of my depth with Canadian geography. :)

I knew Drifter would get it, so I will let him have it. The Irish Question, I will answer also since my timing was off and I realize most of you in the UK and Europe were in bed when I asked it is: The three counties that are part of what was thought of as Ulster, but broke with the rest of the south to become Eire is Donegal, Cavan and Mongahan. My wife's family goes back to Cavan, and my father's family originated in Donegal and County Tyrone.

Anyhow, Mr. Drifter I give you the floor, and try not to torture these poor people with more Huronia Geography. You and I cannot keep answering each other's questions!!!

markabilly
18th March 2010, 05:08
I knew Drifter would get it, so I will let him have it. The Irish Question, I will answer also since my timing was off and I realize most of you in the UK and Europe were in bed when I asked it is: The three counties that are part of what was thought of as Ulster, but broke with the rest of the south to become Eire is Donegal, Cavan and Mongahan. My wife's family goes back to Cavan, and my father's family originated in Donegal and County Tyrone.

Anyhow, Mr. Drifter I give you the floor, and try not to torture these poor people with more Huronia Geography. You and I cannot keep answering each other's questions!!!
I think drifter went to sleep....you know how those old guys get to be...when not sleeping, they are napping....

Mark in Oshawa
18th March 2010, 07:27
Well in that case...I would leave a question, but I am going away for the day tomorrow on a volunteer gig so I wouldn't be around to answer...so we can leave it to Drifter. He spends more time on here than I do...

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 07:41
OK since this is a racing site this three parter is about race tracks.

1. What track was known as Mountain High Racing and where was it. I want the actual name of the track. I also want the nearest town.

2. Pretty well everyone knows the story of the Gimili Glider. What nickname did the racers apply to the track and it is near what major city.

3. There is a Ford GT40 buried near this track.

2. should be a cinch. 1. fairly easy. 3 ?

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 07:47
Not as much time as I used to.
I am too busy writing articles and chasing stories.
By the way the track in 1. had a nickname by the drivers so that can be a bonus question.

markabilly
18th March 2010, 12:20
OK since this is a racing site this three parter is about race tracks.

1. What track was known as Mountain High Racing and where was it. I want the actual name of the track. I also want the nearest town.

2. Pretty well everyone knows the story of the Gimili Glider. What nickname did the racers apply to the track and it is near what major city.

3. There is a Ford GT40 buried near this track.

2. should be a cinch. 1. fairly easy. 3 ?
1. Continental Divide was a track in Colo sometimes refferred to as Mountain High or Mile High in the sixties (as everything in colo is mile high) near Castle Rock. But being Canuck U are probably referring to Westwood????

2. Gimili is near Gimili, nickname I know not.
3. I need this info ASAP so I can go dig this car up......but it must be in Texas, becuase only people stupid enough to do this would live in Texas

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 14:46
1. Wrong The track used the term in its advertising.
2. Gimli is a small town not a city.
3. No way.

edv
18th March 2010, 16:01
1-My brother lived in Pt Coquitlam and took me up to the golf course, which is where I think the ghost of the track rests.
2-Gimli Glider was famous..a jet running out of fuel and landing on the dragstrip! Winnipeg is quite a ways south, but I'd guess that's the city.
3-A buried GT40?!? Are you serious? Since you're answers are always in Canada, I'd guess Mosport, but I have no idea.

Mark in Oshawa
18th March 2010, 16:05
1-My brother lived in Pt Coquitlam and took me up to the golf course, which is where I think the ghost of the track rests.
2-Gimli Glider was famous..a jet running out of fuel and landing on the dragstrip! Winnipeg is quite a ways south, but I'd guess that's the city.
3-A buried GT40?!? Are you serious? Since you're answers are always in Canada, I'd guess Mosport, but I have no idea.

I wish there was a GT 40 buried near Mosport, god knows I have the time to go find it and I am close enough to it.

I will let you guys stew over it..I know the answers, but going out to work for the community cable station covering a hockey tournament for draft age eligible players for the Ontario Hockey League.

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 18:06
edv: Port Coquitlam is correct as is the fact of the golf course. Some of the streets of the housing development are 'racing' names. But you do not name the track or it's sarcastic nickname. The local racers used the nickname.
Winnipeg is correct for Gimli. It isn't that far away unless you are a 767 out of fuel! Now the track's nickname by the racers. As a hint the locals probably do not use it. The travelling F. Atlantic circus did. Also sarcastic.
The buried GT40 is not in Canada but it does have a Cdn. connection.

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 18:12
The only car rumoured to be buried at Mosport was the John Surtees Lola T70 that he crashed at turn 1.
It is not true.
The car was rebuilt and later owned and raced by Dave Wolin.

Firstgear
18th March 2010, 21:42
Winnipeg is correct for Gimli.

Are you sure about that? Seeing as you're in Ontario, I thought your answer would've been Toronto :D

I live in Winnipeg, but you said Major city, so I would've answered Minniapolis :p :

Easy Drifter
18th March 2010, 22:03
We outside of the self described Centre of the Universe (Toronto) would be quite happy to see it become a separate province.
I do consider Winnipeg a major city. After all my mother was from Hamiota and my father was educated and practiced law in Winnipeg. He was born in Fort Mcleod Ab. to a RNWMP Inspector.
I have been to Gimli several times as well as Winnipeg.

markabilly
19th March 2010, 17:03
Are you sure about that? Seeing as you're in Ontario, I thought your answer would've been Toronto :D

I live in Winnipeg, but you said Major city, so I would've answered Minniapolis :p :
i dont think that canada has any major cities....but as to minor, well maybe...

Can not believe there are people stupid enough to bury a GT 40 who live other than Texas....but I guess there is California and Great Britain :confused:

Son of a lawyer....that figures :dozey:

I did once bury a motorcycle in some hay bales....but after I woke up, I went and got it....

Easy Drifter
19th March 2010, 23:32
Markabilly: Don't say that to anyone from the Greater Toronto Area (4.5 Million). They believe they are the centre of the Universe!
You wouldn't want what little is left of the buried GT40! There was nothing salvagable. :(

Mark in Oshawa
19th March 2010, 23:43
i dont think that canada has any major cities....but as to minor, well maybe...

Can not believe there are people stupid enough to bury a GT 40 who live other than Texas....but I guess there is California and Great Britain :confused:

Son of a lawyer....that figures :dozey:

I did once bury a motorcycle in some hay bales....but after I woke up, I went and got it....

We have major cities only when it comes to traffic jams, and then we have 3 of them....

Anyhow, redefine the question Drifter for those arriving late...

Easy Drifter
20th March 2010, 04:22
OK Reprise of the questions. All relate to a geographic location.
First was name of track and nearest town to a track using the slogan 'Mountain High Racing.' Also the track's nickname.
Nearest town correctly identified as Port Coquitlam, BC. Neither track name nor nickname identified.
Second question was nearest major city to Gimli and track nickname. Nickname may have only been used by the F Atlantic circuit.
City correctly identified as Winnipeg, Manitoba. Nickname not identified. It is rather sarcastic.
Third was name of track and town near which a Ford GT40 is buried. It is not in Canada. The car was a total write off. :(
If no correct answers by Sun. night I will reveal them. The last is rather tough although I suspect Mark in Oshawa may know.

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 17:36
Mountain High Racing was at Westwood, ..not sure on the nick. Westwood was before my time really. I do know part of the track was "Deer's Leap" and the subdivsion built there has a street named Deer's Leap...
Gimli doesn't have a nick name...it is where fun goes to Die Drifter....lol

As for the Buried GT40, Not a clue....but if I am guessing, Watkins Glen?

Easy Drifter
21st March 2010, 20:43
Westwood is correct. Nickname was Wetwood. The sun could be shining in the valley (Fraser River) and pouring at Westwood because it was on the side of a mountain.
Gimli was nicknamed Grimli, especially after the 75 race. There wasn't much of anything in the town of Gimli.
The Ford GT40 is buried near Sebring. It was one of the Comstock semi factory cars. Bob MacLean died in a massive accident and the car burned out. The track could not put out the fire.
A sad day for Cdn. racing. :(

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2010, 21:01
Well Who has the question now? You or I E. D.?

Easy Drifter
21st March 2010, 22:56
You.
I have got to write an article tonight.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 00:26
Ok.. what is the smallest city in the world to have a rapid transit/rail line/subway?

markabilly
22nd March 2010, 09:34
The Ford GT40 is buried near Sebring. It was one of the Comstock semi factory cars. Bob MacLean died in a massive accident and the car burned out. The track could not put out the fire.
A sad day for Cdn. racing. :(
A good idea. Never thought about what you do with a wrecked out racer in a situ where a driver died. I do not think I would want to drive such a car after such an accident.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd March 2010, 13:04
A good idea. Never thought about what you do with a wrecked out racer in a situ where a driver died. I do not think I would want to drive such a car after such an accident.

I wonder if there is a marker where it is buried and is it still there and no one is quite sure where? With all the changes that track has seen, I wonder...

EuroTroll
22nd March 2010, 16:29
Ok.. what is the smallest city in the world to have a rapid transit/rail line/subway?

To get the ball rolling: the smallest city I know that has a subway is dear old neighbouring Helsinki!

Easy Drifter
22nd March 2010, 17:58
re the GT40. There is no marker for the car and it is not on the track ppty.
I do not know where it is, just near Sebring.
Paul Cooke former Comstock crew chief and now VP ASN Canada does know and he will not say. The morbid would probably be trying to dig it up if the location was known.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 01:57
To get the ball rolling: the smallest city I know that has a subway is dear old neighbouring Helsinki!

Helsinki is a big city compared to this one. I tripped across this nugget of information when I was Wiki surfing one night...

A clue...the city is in Europe...

Sonic
23rd March 2010, 09:57
Helsinki is a big city compared to this one. I tripped across this nugget of information when I was Wiki surfing one night...

Luxembourg? Not many smaller :)

gadjo_dilo
23rd March 2010, 10:02

Don't know but I think only germans could do such things.

Lousada
23rd March 2010, 10:04
I know Rennes has a subway. It's not that big a town.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2010, 18:39
Nein....the official language of the city is French I believe......but not Rennes....It is.....where a substantial Sporting organization has links...

Lousada
23rd March 2010, 22:20
Would that be Lausanne?

Mark in Oshawa
24th March 2010, 06:30
Lousada..you get it and the floor is yours for the next question. I was looking up Lausanne on Wiki out of curiousity about it since so many HQ for sporting organizations are there, and that little tidbit of how a city of 135000 people had at one point 3 Subway lines and still has 2. Not really large ones, and rather unique...but I live in a city of a similar size and there isn't a hope in hades we would even begin to start the discussion of a rapid transit system here....

So..the floor is yours Lousada

schmenke
24th March 2010, 13:42
... I live in a city of a similar size and there isn't a hope in hades we would even begin to start the discussion of a rapid transit system here....

I live in a city of 1 million our "rapid transit system" is the string of pick-up trucks on our roads every rush hour :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
24th March 2010, 18:24
I live in a city of 1 million our "rapid transit system" is the string of pick-up trucks on our roads every rush hour :dozey:

Now you guys have the C train...and I have ridden it downtown to go see the party on Electric Avenue...it works quite well. That said, Calgary's traffic doesn't hold a candle to Toronto or Montreal's...

Lousada
24th March 2010, 18:55
Lousada..you get it and the floor is yours for the next question. I was looking up Lausanne on Wiki out of curiousity about it since so many HQ for sporting organizations are there, and that little tidbit of how a city of 135000 people had at one point 3 Subway lines and still has 2. Not really large ones, and rather unique...but I live in a city of a similar size and there isn't a hope in hades we would even begin to start the discussion of a rapid transit system here....

So..the floor is yours Lousada

I just looked it up and Rennes is actually the second smallest city with a metro system ;)

Lousada
24th March 2010, 19:04
Right the question. I'm not that good in thinking them up, hope this is not too easy.

Which African country was the first to gain independence from their colonial masters?

EuroTroll
24th March 2010, 19:39
Egypt?

Sonic
24th March 2010, 20:32
Kenya??

24th March 2010, 20:52
Libya?

24th March 2010, 20:56
Actually, having thought about it, the clue is in the name.

Liberia?

Mark in Oshawa
24th March 2010, 21:21
I got beat to it by Tam, I believe it is Liberia, but I will say no one actually said to Ethiopia they were NOT a country, so it is considered to be the first official country in the modern sense to be still around now.

Lousada
24th March 2010, 21:30
All wrong. Liberia and Ethiopia are the only two African countries that were never colonized, so they could not win independence from their colonial masters.

driveace
24th March 2010, 21:41
swaziland?

Caroline
24th March 2010, 22:07
Congo?

Lousada
24th March 2010, 22:11
No. Hint: the area used to be famous for it's gold.

Sonic
24th March 2010, 22:54
No. Hint: the area used to be famous for it's gold.

I was gonna guess Tunisia, but I don't think they were/are famous for gold.

Easy Drifter
25th March 2010, 03:10
South Africa?
I had better be wrong because I do not have a question.

Storm
25th March 2010, 07:21
Namibia? and I hope Drifter is right :p :

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 09:17
I think gold used to mined mostly in Western Africa. So maybe Ghana?

Sonic
25th March 2010, 09:47

THE GOLD COAST! Damn - should've thought of that. You may well be right there Pka Stu. :)

Lousada
25th March 2010, 10:28

Yes, the Gold Coast now known as Ghana. You have the next question!

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 12:17
Yes, the Gold Coast now known as Ghana. You have the next question!

I think you might be subject to a challenge there, actually... Here's what the always reliable Wikipedia indicates, under the article called "Decolonization of Africa". What was your source?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Africa.gif

But you're the boss of this Q and I shall claim victory in the name of France! :p : New Q coming up soon!

Lousada
25th March 2010, 12:55
I think you might be subject to a challenge there, actually... Here's what the always reliable Wikipedia indicates, under the article called "Decolonization of Africa". What was your source?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Africa.gif

But you're the boss of this Q and I shall claim victory in the name of France! :p : New Q coming up soon!

My source was wikipedia :s It was on one of them "did you know" pages.

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 13:11
Well I guess we found a fault in the Matrix. :p :

I'll ask a quicky, passing the turn to the worthy person who can tell me which historical figure has had, among other things, the following named after him:
- an American submarine
- a Cuban cigar brand
- a football stadium
- a symphony orchestra
- an international airport
- a zoo
- many towns, counties and provinces in the US and elsewhere
- a suburb of one of the major cities in Australia
- an artificial satellite
- various streets in the US, Iran, France, India, Egypt etc.
- several mountain peaks
- a park in Budapest
- a currency unit
- a country

gadjo_dilo
25th March 2010, 14:06
Colombus?

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 14:08
Colombus?

Not the guy I'm looking for. But you're in the right area..

gadjo_dilo
25th March 2010, 14:15
George Washimgton?

edv
25th March 2010, 15:11
Amerigo Vespucci? (I think the word 'America' is based on his name)

pettersolberg29
25th March 2010, 15:15
Oooh, I haven't been on this thread for ages, but think I may know this one. Is it John Cook?

edit: or is it James Cook? Or Jack? Let's say J.Cook!

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 15:18
No, good Sirs. Think independent countries. And currencies.

EuroTroll
25th March 2010, 15:26
A hint: the forumer jso1985...