PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is Your Geography?? [3]

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 19:02
10 to the power of something surely means either 10, 100, 1000, 10000, 100000, 1000000 etc.?

So next guess - 1 million?!

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 19:02
Or is my maths failing me?

EuroTroll
15th April 2009, 19:09
Your maths is not failing you, my good man, you are right! :up:

The population of the Yakutian Republic is just under 1 million (about 950 000 in fact).

With an area of 3,103,200 km˛, that means the average population density is 0.3 people/km˛.

Which is very-very low, indeed!

See? This was fun! :cheese:

Ok, your turn Mr. Solberg. ;)

And I'm soon off to Siberia! :) Voluntarily. :)

Caroline
15th April 2009, 19:19
Wow - super quick Q and A! Blink and you miss :)
Next one please!

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 19:31
Got it! Good question.

Mine is:

What percentage of Norway's mainland is covered in forest? Answers within 3% are fine.

Caroline
15th April 2009, 19:39
I am going pluck a random number from the air and say 67%.
Random guesses, mysterious clues.......who needs skill and Geographical knowledge? :p

pettersolberg29
15th April 2009, 19:41
No - and not really that close.

Tazio
15th April 2009, 22:12
I'll Say 39.5%

schmenke
15th April 2009, 23:40
Nah, higher than that methinks.

I'll guess 85%.

markabilly
16th April 2009, 00:24
The Doors.
The answer ain't blowing in the wind cos there ain't no wind.
There breed the tiny monsters.
Chuck the animals overboard, horses and donkeys first.
Booble rules. :erm:
Billy's hints suck. :p :

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Just had to cheat did not you?
Even when I spelt the answer out, u still don't do it, just lay there and be a donkey

And it only took you four days after I posted this for you to be googling your answer:

:laugh:

and nobody seems to be trying any more to answer the horse latitude question, I thought i would repeat the hints and add a few more:

...........duh

As to Norway, my guess is less than half, but probably more than a quarter.
A big part of Norway is rockytype mountains and trees do not grow well there. Another big part is marshes and tundras.....and if I win, I give my question to caroline...she really earned it, unlike that cheating donKey buzzard jote

pettersolberg29
16th April 2009, 10:58
That was quick!

Full marks to Tazio - the exact answer is 37.5% but you are easily close enough.
Half marks to markabilly for his rough estimate of between 25% and 50% - you realise if you'd gone exactly half way betwen the two you'd have been spot on!
Good effort - and Tazio's time to step up to the plate...

Storm
16th April 2009, 13:08
ooooh 2 quick questions already? :crazy:
Time for a non-numeric Q now, eh Taz?

Tazio
16th April 2009, 19:15
What is the highest point within The San Diego City Limits?

schmenke
16th April 2009, 19:33
Never been to San Diego :mark:

markabilly
16th April 2009, 20:54
That was quick!

Full marks to Tazio - the exact answer is 37.5% but you are easily close enough.
Half marks to markabilly for his rough estimate of between 25% and 50% - you realise if you'd gone exactly half way betwen the two you'd have been spot on!
Good effort - and Tazio's time to step up to the plate...
Caroline will be soooo disappointed.........

markabilly
16th April 2009, 20:56
What is the highest point within The San Diego City Limits?
There you go again getting all confused....all I know is when I am in town, mine is...

Tazio
16th April 2009, 21:10
There you go again getting all confused....all I know is when I am in town, mine is...If this confuses you I will clarify the question.
What is the higest level of elevation within the San Diego City Limits?
A little hint. It is "terra firma" !

Storm
17th April 2009, 06:52
no idea about San Diego and never been there either.

Tazio
17th April 2009, 08:50
Ok maybe too locally specific

Try this one:
Name the Point (on Earth) Farthest From the Center of the Earth.
Here is a hint. It's not the Peak of Everest!

Storm
17th April 2009, 08:54
somewhere in Quito, Ecuador?
Based on the fact that its on the equator (which should be farther away from the centre + the fact that Quito is at a pretty high altitude.)

Tazio
17th April 2009, 08:58
somewhere in Quito, Ecuador?
Based on the fact that its on the equator (which should be farther away from the centre + the fact that Quito is at a pretty high altitude.)

That was fast can you give me the specific name? You have the correct Country

Storm
17th April 2009, 09:09
Must be some peak in the Andes, don't know any specific names though

Tazio
17th April 2009, 09:23
Must be some peak in the Andes, don't know any specific names thoughI'll give it to you It is less than 100 miles from Quito!

Chimborazo is Ecuador's highest summit. Its summit is generally regarded as the spot on the surface farthest from the center of the Earth!
Your on :)

Storm
17th April 2009, 09:29
:up: :) thanks....hold on for a new question ;) I did not expect to have a Q soon what with all the numbers/markabilly malarkey going on :p :

Storm
17th April 2009, 09:58
OK, staying with mountains, which is the highest mountain in the EU which is not in the Alps?

Tazio
17th April 2009, 10:33
Wild Guess:
Corno Grande. Nope, Is it Pico de Teide ?

Storm
17th April 2009, 10:51
Hole in one...or two! El Teide it is, well done.
(in Tenerife, thought that would be a bit trickier than this :erm: )

Tazio
17th April 2009, 11:05
Hole in one...or two! El Teide it is, well done.
(in Tenerife, thought that would be a bit trickier than this :erm: )
I had a sneaking feeling it would be in Spain ( well sort of )

OK what city in The USA has the largest area?

schmenke
17th April 2009, 15:04
Los Angeles?

Schultz
17th April 2009, 15:34
HAS to be LA that place is a beast!... beat me to it Schmenke.

emporer_k
17th April 2009, 16:25
chicago ?

Caroline
17th April 2009, 16:31
Honolulu? Isn't it a city and part of a state?

edv
17th April 2009, 20:58
When I was a kid, Jacksonville Fla was the largest area...the city limits started way out in the forest.

schmenke
17th April 2009, 21:34
When you were a kid Florida wasn't even a state :s tareup:

:uhoh:

edv
17th April 2009, 21:39
haha And I'm so old that when I was in school there was no such thing as History.

Tazio
17th April 2009, 22:43
HAS to be LA that place is a beast!... beat me to it Schmenke.LA is a beast! to give proportions it is roughly the size of Bagdad.
But you guys are still Waaay off!

Tazio
17th April 2009, 23:13
Caroline you have the right idea in a manor of speaking!

Easy Drifter
18th April 2009, 00:12
Sarah is proud and the name of a Louis L'Amour novel, but I haven't said the name. :D

edv
18th April 2009, 00:34
Caroline you have the right idea in a manor of speaking!

Honolulu counts the whole county, not just the city. I thought you just wanted city area. There's a bunch of obscure places out there that count the county as city area. Dunno that any of us will guess this one.

Tazio
18th April 2009, 00:45
I thought you just wanted city area. There's a bunch of obscure places out there that count the county as city area. Dunno that any of us will guess this one. I was not referencing the the idea of a city state!
Carolines comment has a different connection
I am referring to an incorprated city in one of the fifty states that constitute The U.S.A.,
not to be confused with any other definition! A city not a county
Easy has just given you a huge hint! ;)

Tazio
18th April 2009, 00:50
Sarah is proud and the name of a Louis L'Amour novel, but I haven't said the name. :D Perhaps You should answer the question! It appears the Natives are getting restless! :p :

markabilly
18th April 2009, 02:45
La would be except for the suburbs

markabilly
18th April 2009, 02:46
Juneau Alaska, displaced jacksonville---Juneau is almost as big as Sarah Palain's head (which is why she can see Alaska or was it Russia when nobody else can)....opps sorry Tazio, I know she is near and dear, I am just glad you ain't a moderator like whoever in the IRL, when I said what everyone else (male and perhaps some females) was thinking, about wanting to see DP racing in the nude....I'd be bannedd aagggainnn

Tazio
18th April 2009, 03:32
It's not Juneau! But your close!

schmenke
18th April 2009, 03:38
Anchorage then?

markabilly
18th April 2009, 04:17
El Paso texas

Tazio
18th April 2009, 05:06
Anchorage then?You have the correct State! :)

Easy Drifter
18th April 2009, 05:43
Yes, I do know the answer but I don't want to give it. Let them think a bit. Some are so close and obviously nobody is a Louis L'Amour fan but me.
Like 47 of his books made into movies including 'Hondo' and 'How the West was Won'.
I mean you have told them the correct State and there are not that many cities. I am getting afraid some 'Most Dangerous Catch' fan will come up with 'Dutch Harbour'! :D :eek:

Tazio
18th April 2009, 06:04
Yes, I do know the answer but I don't want to give it. Let them think a bit. Some are so close and obviously nobody is a Louis L'Amour fan but me.
Like 47 of his books made into movies including 'Hondo' and 'How the West was Won'.
I mean you have told them the correct State and there are not that many cities. I am getting afraid some 'Most Dangerous Catch' fan will come up with 'Dutch Harbour'! :D :eek: Not a big fan of Louie. But it is one I've read! ;)

Easy Drifter
18th April 2009, 06:22
They varied from pulp to pretty good historical fiction.
The "Sackett" stories were that way. Some just light reading and others fairly historical. He even wrote some of the 'Hopalong Cassidy' stories.
Supposedly if he mentioned a specific spring, canyon or other feature it existed and was where he said it was.
One of my favourites was the modern setting "Last of the Breed".

markabilly
18th April 2009, 13:10
Juneau Alaska--It is massive in size, but has a very small population...somewhere I remember why it grew....just can not remember

if not them, then it must be Ankorage, but already rejected? Then fairbanks?

Poor coraline, I promised her that the next one is for her

Tazio
18th April 2009, 17:14
Juneau Alaska--It is massive in size, but has a very small population...somewhere I remember why it grew....just can not remember

if not them, then it must be Ankorage, but already rejected? Then fairbanks?

Poor coraline, I promised her that the next one is for her

Sorry Caroline, but Markabilly is wrong again. You guys need to bone up on your Louie L'Amour :p :
BTW there was a time when Juneau was the largest by area!

schmenke
18th April 2009, 17:49
Guess the Alaskan city...

Nome?

Easy Drifter
18th April 2009, 18:03
Taz: They sure can't get a 'handle' on this one.

markabilly
18th April 2009, 20:09
If it ain't nome, then it ain't a city.
City requires a certain amount of population and even those "cities" do not really qualify
More like a town that got greedy as to its boundaries, some small number of people who decided they wanted to control a bunch of oil fields or potential oil fields, snow and glaciers or whatever

Juneau is a massive area, but had some cousins that lived there, but the population was next to nothing...more people show up at baseball games then live there

Tazio
18th April 2009, 22:43
If it ain't nome, then it ain't a city.
City requires a certain amount of population and even those "cities" do not really qualify
More like a town that got greedy as to its boundaries, some small number of people who decided they wanted to control a bunch of oil fields or potential oil fields, snow and glaciers or whatever

Juneau is a massive area, but had some cousins that lived there, but the population was next to nothing...more people show up at baseball games then live thereYou've become such a bore. Here is another clue.
It was founded in 1799 by Alexandr Baranov. I'm not sure but I believe that makes it the oldest city in Alaska

Taz: They sure can't get a 'handle' on this one.
Maybe someone needs to get hit over the head with an iron skillet! ;)

markabilly
19th April 2009, 02:14
You've become such a bore. Here is another clue.
It was founded in 1799 by Alexandr Baranov. I'm not sure but I believe that makes it the oldest city in Alaska

Maybe someone needs to get hit over the head with an iron skillet! ;)

So you and Max are now into getting your heads the old skillet heading bashing?? Explains some recent threads about Ferrari

but of course I should have realized you were into tales about "tail" as in the location

markabilly
19th April 2009, 03:18
They varied from pulp to pretty good historical fiction.
The "Sackett" stories were that way. Some just light reading and others fairly historical. He even wrote some of the 'Hopalong Cassidy' stories.
Supposedly if he mentioned a specific spring, canyon or other feature it existed and was where he said it was.
One of my favourites was the modern setting "Last of the Breed".

Not so sure about that as the "Susquehanna" is located in the northeast part of the continent and not the the northwest part...as in Mohawks, Mohicans and Hurons from where the name originates....

p/s the number of people is more like a village rather than a town....or sort of the size of easy's family

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 03:22
Valdez

Tazio
19th April 2009, 03:26
still waiting :)

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 03:38
Now I am guessing....It has to be on the coast....Ketchikan?

markabilly
19th April 2009, 03:52
I know the answer but let Ms Carolina get it....besides all my questions are too estoeric for the cars nuts around here

Easy Drifter
19th April 2009, 03:53
Good grief. Taz and I have given enough hints.
One last hint. When Alaska was part of Russia this place was the capital of Alaska.

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 03:57
Sitka....I remember seeing that once...

Tazio
19th April 2009, 04:03
Sitka....I remember seeing that once... :up: Give that man a cigar :s mokin: Your up dude :)

markabilly
19th April 2009, 04:04
and so how few people live there, taz?

Easy Drifter
19th April 2009, 04:05
Finally. And it took a Cdn.
What was that about Sarah Palin and lack of knowledge.
One of Louis L'Amour's longer historical fiction books involved the Alaska purchase and the title was Sitka.

markabilly
19th April 2009, 04:06
Finally. And it took a Cdn.
What was that about Sarah Palin and lack of knowledge.
One of Louis L'Amour's longer historical fiction books involved the Alaska purchase and the title was Sitka.
but the swamp? i think not not

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 04:37
Ok....let me think...

Name the river that in 1889 killed over 2000 people?

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 04:57
AS for it taking a Canadian, I had read a book on Captain Cook and all the places he went to and there was a chapter on the Russians beating him to Alaska and Sitka was mentioned as their capital. Drifter's clue twigged the memory.

Tazio
19th April 2009, 05:09
"Monongahela"
I have no Idea but I really enjoy saying that word :crazy:

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 05:21
"Monongahela"
I have no Idea but I really enjoy saying that word :crazy:

Nope...no clues yet either...

Easy Drifter
19th April 2009, 06:29
I suspect the Johnstown flood. I also think Johnstown was/is in Pa. but darned if I can name the river.
I know the Susquehanna is prone to flooding but I don't remember Johnstown as being on it and I have been along most of it.

Tazio
19th April 2009, 10:17
My wild guess was actually pretty close
The event is Johnstown but there are about 100 creeks in Western Penn they call "Rivers"
That is going to be a tough one.
BTW not a high point in American History
Kind of like Katrina :down:

markabilly
19th April 2009, 14:58
it was a lake and a dam that broke that caused the flood;
Me and Sarah P can not remember the name of the river that was dammed
Difference between Katrina and the flood was a hurricane did contribute to the former, the latter was all man made and the result of stupidity and/or greed when it came to the dam and its maintenance

But speaking of lawyers, of course they swooped in but found the pickings difficult based on then prevalent american law, but it did provide the incentive to modify american law on matters, where due to the nature of the item, a higher standard could be imposed, for example with elevators, animals known to be vicous, dams and so forth.....leading to the current laws on product liability

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 16:23
The event is Johnstown but there are about 100 creeks in Western Penn they call "Rivers"

I disagree Taz. Although the rich guys who owned the dammed lake didn't always shower themselves with glory, the story of the rescue efforts and the way the town rebuilt better is a good story.

Still no one has named the river.

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 16:24
it was a lake and a dam that broke that caused the flood;
Me and Sarah P can not remember the name of the river that was dammed
Difference between Katrina and the flood was a hurricane did contribute to the former, the latter was all man made and the result of stupidity and/or greed when it came to the dam and its maintenance

But speaking of lawyers, of course they swooped in but found the pickings difficult based on then prevalent american law, but it did provide the incentive to modify american law on matters, where due to the nature of the item, a higher standard could be imposed, for example with elevators, animals known to be vicous, dams and so forth.....leading to the current laws on product liability

The Dam tho was built in a time when science wasn't perfect, and naivety in operating things such as this dam was commonplace. The 19th century wasn't a good place to expect justice...

Mark in Oshawa
19th April 2009, 20:16

You know the town, you know the catastrophe...figure out the actual river now....

schmenke
20th April 2009, 15:51
Sorry, I was curiouis to Tazio's las Q so I just had to Google. It was quite misleading. Sitka, similar to other Alaskan cities is considered a consolidated city-county:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_area

"The list is headed by consolidated city-counties, where a city comprises the whole area of a county (or equivalent), and so may include significant portions of rural areas or even wilderness. When these cities are removed from consideration, the largest cities are Oklahoma City, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles and San Antonio - all western cities that have had few or no geographical constraints to their expansion..."

markabilly
21st April 2009, 18:03
Sorry, I was curiouis to Tazio's las Q so I just had to Google. It was quite misleading. Sitka, similar to other Alaskan cities is considered a consolidated city-county:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_area

"The list is headed by consolidated city-counties, where a city comprises the whole area of a county (or equivalent), and so may include significant portions of rural areas or even wilderness. When these cities are removed from consideration, the largest cities are Oklahoma City, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles and San Antonio - all western cities that have had few or no geographical constraints to their expansion..."
even more interesting to me is Sikta is smaller than the Juneau population of 30k-----Sitka has a whole total of about 8,000 people spread over a very large distance......

Caroline
21st April 2009, 19:05
It's hard to think of city and wilderness in the same breath but I guess the question was legitimate. I just looked at the wikipedia site myself. Interesting.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd April 2009, 04:20
AT one point the city of Timmins in Northern Ontario was one of those freakish large cities (largest in the world it was thought until the Alaska examples came along) where it was a city surrounded by tons of bush and a few gold mines that came under the cities' jurisdiction.

Anyhow...I will give up my answer since people have to keep moving on and I am going to be back on the road after a short break home here. My answer for my question was the Little Conemaugh River, which was the one dammed up until May 31 in 1899 when it bust out and caused the great Johnstown flood. The story and the events of that day are interesting in that no one seemed to understand the dam let loose and a HOUR later it hit town, where no one seemed to grasp it happened, while there was all sorts of attempts to warn people....

The physics of the damage make you wonder how only 2000 died.....a 60 foot high wall of water and debris coming down a channel for over 12 miles wiping out two small villages on the way down.

Anyhow..someone toss up a question.....

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2009, 06:03
OK I will toss out one more and then let others have a go for a while.

What is generally considered the largest mountain in the world and where is it located? Not the highest but the largest by mass and probably footprint.

markabilly
23rd April 2009, 13:13
Easy stuff easy there is a debate between denali and mount mauna loa
if it is measured above sea level, then denali...if sea level and below are included then loa

hawaii and alaska

although somwhere i read fi you are going from the very bottom of the oceans, there may be some other 'mountains' who are totally submerged who are larger

so i toss it to Caroline if she is not to busy being dannyboy's computer or got banned through him

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2009, 15:48
Wrong. It is mass or footprint.

555-04Q2
23rd April 2009, 15:50
Isint it one thats under the ocean?

23rd April 2009, 16:31
Is it Brokeback mountain?

Oh no, sorry, you said "mass", not "load of old gay tosh"

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2009, 16:41
I went back and checked out my sources and I screwed up with the question.
Markabilly is right on mass,
I should have stuck to footprint and then the answer is different.
Can anyone give the answer on footprint.
I do concur that Caroline should get the next question.

Sorry everyone. :o

schmenke
23rd April 2009, 18:08
Mt McKinley?

markabilly
23rd April 2009, 18:40
Mt McKinley?
Denali is also mt mckinley

as to largest footprint, it could be a sister to loa, and that would be mauna kea that is the tallest, but I am not sure.
Problem is that some islands like Hawaii might be considered a mountain in their own right, except hawaii was built by several volcanoes, not just one.

If I ever win a 100 million doallars, I will move there---can not understand old farts like max and benniee, all that money and all they do with it, is go to england (well Max does do somethings in the basement with his money)

markabilly
23rd April 2009, 18:52
Is it Brokeback mountain?

Oh no, sorry, you said "mass", not "load of old gay tosh"
Interesting, I did not know the hasidic followers were old gay guys who hung out on ole brokeback...but they do dress a bit strange

Inspires a song, that I hereby dedicate to a real total geo-nut, to the tune of ole smokey....

on top of ole brokeback,
all covered in pink
easy lost his true lover,
for courting too slow....

oh where oh where
can that donKey be

Easy Drifter
23rd April 2009, 22:28
No correct answer yet, if my research is correct.
Schmenke isn't too far away as distance goes.

markabilly
24th April 2009, 01:51
mount hunter might well be a candidate as it has a number of ridges that extend a great distance, but the problem with that is when does a ridge become part of a mountain and when it is just a ridge?

The everest area is actually one very long, massive mountain ridge that has a number of peaks, such as everest....but for whatever reason, those have been labelled as seperate mountains

Denali has several smaller areas are peaks that appear on its slopes towards the base area, yet they are treated as seperate mountains.

But I still beleive that mouna loa is the winner.

the name means something like gentle slope and if one wanted to count ridges and peaks that may be part of the base as well as a big chunk of the entire island, Loa must still be number one for base and size, esp. given its very gentle slope that makes it a fairly easy climb, notwitstanding your sources unless you are measuring above sea level only..

Easy Drifter
24th April 2009, 02:47
No point in squabbling over a definition, or our sources.
The mountain I was referring to is Mt. Logan in the Yukon and it is described as having the largest base circumferance of any mountain. It is the 2nd highest in North America and has 11 peaks over 5,000 metres. Apparently it is still growing higher!
Do we agree it is Caroline's turn? :confused:

markabilly
24th April 2009, 11:05
yep

Caroline
26th April 2009, 21:30
Don't feel I have earned a question, but here goes. I have a much belated question. :)

Name the only country/nation that does not have a designated official capital city.

Daniel
26th April 2009, 21:40
Don't feel I have earned a question, but here goes. I have a much belated question. :)

Name the only country/nation that does not have a designated official capital city.
Oi! Don't go asking questions in the geography thread which are actually geography related!

Camelopard
26th April 2009, 22:23
My first guess was something like Liechtenstein, but 'she who must be obeyed' said that Liechtenstein had a capital and it is Vaduz, (she always beats me in capital city questions!).

Sooo, purely having a guess I suggest it may be an island nation in the Pacific like Palau?

Daniel
26th April 2009, 23:20
My first guess was something like Liechtenstein, but 'she who must be obeyed' said that Liechtenstein had a capital and it is Vaduz, (she always beats me in capital city questions!).

Sooo, purely having a guess I suggest it may be an island nation in the Pacific like Palau?
My 'she must who must be obeyed' said it's not Palau

Camelopard
26th April 2009, 23:41
Then how about Niue?

Storm
27th April 2009, 07:21
Oi! Don't go asking questions in the geography thread which are actually geography related!
;) right on.

What the hell is Niue? or rather where the heck is it?
Nothing springs to my mind though...

Daniel
27th April 2009, 07:23
Then how about Niue?
She who must be obeyed says no.

Camelopard
27th April 2009, 07:49
;) right on.

What the hell is Niue? or rather where the heck is it?
Nothing springs to my mind though...

I think it's near Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands... and stuff like that.

It has a 'Free Association' with the Government of New Zealand, whatever that means!

http://www.niueisland.com/

http://www.gov.nu/

Anyway back to the question.

The Vatican?

markabilly
27th April 2009, 11:38
Monaco and monte carlo are exactly the same area, therefore there is not a real capital in the usual sense of the word?

Caroline
27th April 2009, 17:05
Hmm, no one has it so far but there have been some pretty good ideas in the right area. Keep guessing :)

Mark in Oshawa
27th April 2009, 23:18

That would be the Vatican...

Mark in Oshawa
27th April 2009, 23:44
That would be the Vatican...

Disregard that although technically it is true, but alas, it isn't in the country to which you are referring.

schmenke
28th April 2009, 00:23
Petoria

:cheese:

markabilly
28th April 2009, 00:54
Hmm, no one has it so far but there have been some pretty good ideas in the right area. Keep guessing :)
what kind of hint is that?
Just keep guessing?

No hint like the country uses three initials?

Cause I re read your question...."Name the only country/nation that does not have a designated official capital city"

The answer is DC, as in the USA.
The USA does not have "a designated official capital city"

When the constitution was adopted, it required a federal district be established where the central government would be located. The area picked "by George" and a couple of people included several small towns, including a town called washington, but was mostly rural.

When the District of Columbia was created, these small towns were dissolved and no longer existed.

Indeed, the name "washington DC" is used as a common name today, but Washington does not exist "officially". Officially it is the District of Columbia, and is neither state, county nor a city.

For almost two hundred years, the people who lived there could not vote for president, could not elect any voting members to Congress and so on. Their political rights of self government available and used in every other part of the USA, did not exist in any form until just a few years ago.

The "Capital" is located in the district, but is the large building where Congress meets, with the dome, but is not a capital city like London is for England (or great britain)

Camelopard
28th April 2009, 10:45
Hmmm, not many seem to be interested, there can't be too many places in the world that are small enough not to have a capital, I mean even Norfolk Island with a permanent population of about 1,200 people has a capital called Kingston.

Ahh, a thought (I don't have too many of those as they cause headaches!) what about Pitcairn Island what with the Bounty link to Norfolk and all. Is Pitcairn island even a country?

Caroline
28th April 2009, 17:32
I am ruling out the Vatican because I don't believe it is counted as a country/nation ( I chose my words carefully). It is a city/state which isn't the same thing. According to Wikipedia, sometimes dubious I know, Monaco is in fact the capital as well as the country. I do count the USA as a country with a capital, I will have to look at the Washington facts as tbh it is the first time I have heard Markabilly's point. So, will keep checking to see if anyone gets the answer soon. :)

EuroTroll
28th April 2009, 17:39
Damn it, I'm gonna go with Helsinki and Finland! As it is widely known (among the patients of the Tallinn Mental Health Hospital) that Southern Finland is ancient Estonian territory! :D So the claim of some Finns that Helsinki is their capital is clearly false! :hmph:

So Finland doesn't have a capital! :D

:p :

Caroline
28th April 2009, 17:44
Those crazy Finns eh? ;)

Sadly, I fear your guess may be a little wrong. But thank you for your input studiose. :D :p

Camelopard
28th April 2009, 17:51
OK so it's not Pitcairn, what about Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic?

EuroTroll
28th April 2009, 18:15
But thank you for your input studiose.

You're very welcome! :D :p :

This really is a very interesting question, though. ;) Can't wait to find out the answer. Hope it's one of them "real countries". :)

Caroline
28th April 2009, 18:55
Tis a real place - became an independent republic in 1999. That's another clue btw. ;)

Daniel
28th April 2009, 19:02
Those crazy Finns eh? ;)

Sadly, I fear your guess may be a little wrong. But thank you for your input studiose. :D :p

No need to be rude to the crazy Estonian my dear! :p

EuroTroll
28th April 2009, 19:15
Tis a real place - became an independent republic in 1999. That's another clue btw.

Well, I might be well off here (as I can't really think of any countries that became independent in 1999), but... maybe East Timor? No, that was a bit later, wasn't it? :s

No need to be rude to the crazy Estonian my dear!

She wasn't being rude, damn you. :p : Even crazy people can accept that they are sometimes wrong. ;) :p : Well, I can, anyway. :erm:

Camelopard
28th April 2009, 19:43
1999? I assuming that it is a proper independent country, not a territory like Christmas Island or somewhere like Reunion and the many other French Departments?

Somewhere in Micronesia perhaps? Wake Island?

edv
28th April 2009, 19:43
Tis a real place - became an independent republic in 1999. That's another clue btw. ;)

That is a good clue. And East Timor sounds like a pretty good guess.
How about one of those countries that were once Yugoslavia?
Macedonia?

Camelopard
28th April 2009, 19:48
Macedonia?

But they would all be big enough to have a capital, wouldn't they? East Timor certainly does have one, Dili.

EuroTroll
28th April 2009, 19:54
Macedonia?

No, I think Macedonia was independent long before that..

Then again, they do call me "often-wrong".. :D

On the same track: Montenegro?

No, but that was only recently, wasn't it...

A good puzzle, this! :)

Caroline
28th April 2009, 19:56
Camelopard is closest with his guesses. This country is known for its involvement in money laundering, intensive mining and immigration issues.
Do these clues actually help or confuse?? :s

markabilly
29th April 2009, 05:01
I am ruling out the Vatican because I don't believe it is counted as a country/nation ( I chose my words carefully). It is a city/state which isn't the same thing. According to Wikipedia, sometimes dubious I know, Monaco is in fact the capital as well as the country. I do count the USA as a country with a capital, I will have to look at the Washington facts as tbh it is the first time I have heard Markabilly's point. So, will keep checking to see if anyone gets the answer soon. :)

Read the american constitution-and do not rely on whatever internet sources you are using-washington is not the capital city of the USA.

everyone thinks it is, but it ain't, including probabbly wikkaniknownuttin

The city of washington does not exist and still does not even exist.

Article one:
Congress shall have the power.....To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States,

1961 amendment:

Section 1

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct: A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment

and BTW--until very recently, the real ruler of the district was completely in control of the district and even now pretty much remains Congress

markabilly
29th April 2009, 05:06
Well,it? :s

She wasn't being rude, damn you. :p : Even crazy people can accept that they are sometimes wrong. ;) :p : Well, I can, anyway. :erm:

Not when it is your signifigant other

markabilly
29th April 2009, 05:22
there was also a debate in germany between bonn and berlin as being the capital of germany as well as one in france about paris and Versailles, although I think paris won out in france, I do not know about wheter Bonn still acts as the real seat of government for Germany

Camelopard
29th April 2009, 12:02
This country is known for its involvement in money laundering, intensive mining and immigration issues.

Money laundering would point to somewhere like the Cayman islands or Bermuda or even the Channel Islands and Isle of Man, can't see any links to intensive mining nor immigration isssues there.

Gibralter, does that have a capital?

Extensive mining and immigration issues to me points to Christmas Island, although that has already been discounted.

The Cocos and Keeling Islands? But then 1999 doesn't fit there either.

Caroline
29th April 2009, 17:01
Not the Cocos and Keeling Islands but you are definately looking for an island. Many of the answers have been close though. I would have thought Australians would have known this one. :)

Daniel
29th April 2009, 17:03
Not the Cocos and Keeling Islands but you are definately looking for an island. Many of the answers have been close though. I would have thought Australians would have known this one. :)
As an Australian I've certainly heard of this place. Come on Camelopard! Think! Think damnit!

Camelopard
29th April 2009, 17:23
Ahhhh, the Pacific Solution!

Camelopard
29th April 2009, 17:38
Ahhhhh, the Pacific Solution, few is a picture of my number plate from there.

Caroline
29th April 2009, 18:24
Over to you Camelopard :) Nauru is the answer. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/16447.htm quite an interesting read.

Camelopard
29th April 2009, 18:54
I'm a seaport and a capital and my name means cat, who am I?

Caroline
29th April 2009, 19:09
Muscat?

Camelopard
29th April 2009, 19:12
Well it does have 'cat' in it but it wasn't the one I was thinking of is much further east.

I should clarify that I'm a state capital.

Camelopard
29th April 2009, 20:58
Look at some of my postings in the Swine Flu thread for some more hints of where this place could be.

Storm
30th April 2009, 05:02
somewhere in east Asia then, and by "means cat " is it like the name is cat in some other language e.g gato etc. ?

Or it just includes the letters cat as in Muscat...ooh could it be Kol-kat-a :p :

huge seaport + capital of W. Bengal ;)

Camelopard
30th April 2009, 05:53
somewhere in east Asia then, and by "means cat " is it like the name is cat in some other language e.g gato etc.

Yes that's correct it means cat in another language, though Kolkata was a good guess it's not the name I'm looking for.

I was founded by a 'White Rajah'.

Caroline
30th April 2009, 17:18
Singapore? Singa relates to lion? White Rajah is Sir Stamford Raffles I am guessing?

Camelopard
1st May 2009, 00:43
You are in the right general area, I'm on an island that is shared by 3 countries.

Camelopard
1st May 2009, 11:35
You are in the right general area, I'm on an island that is shared by 3 countries.

One of which is Indonesia.

edv
1st May 2009, 17:36
Aha! An island with 3 countries?
Howsabout Brunei and Bagawan? (what IS a Bagawan?)

schmenke
1st May 2009, 19:31
...Bagawan? (what IS a Bagawan?)

Doesn't he occasionally lurk around the F1 boards...?

Camelopard
1st May 2009, 23:36
Aha! An island with 3 countries?
Howsabout Brunei and Bagawan? (what IS a Bagawan?)

You have the right island, you just need the right city now.

Camelopard
2nd May 2009, 09:43
OK. we have established that it is an island containing 3 countries, one of which is Indonesia, another Brunei and the third is Malaysia, there can't be to many cities let alone capital cities on the island of Borneo...... any more guesses?

Camelopard
3rd May 2009, 04:27
Previously I pointed to a post I had made in the swine flu thread, but no-one seems to have taken the opportunity to check out the link I posted, so here it is again;

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2533454.htm

edv
3rd May 2009, 17:47
Well, if it is the capital of Sarawak you're looking for, it is Kuching. But what is the 'cat' connection?

Camelopard
3rd May 2009, 22:13
Well, if it is the capital of Sarawak you're looking for, it is Kuching. But what is the 'cat' connection?

Kuching is 'cat' in Malay.

http://www.catcityholidays.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuching

Your question edv.

Easy Drifter
4th May 2009, 03:04
Next time I get to ask a question I just might use Ojibway!!!!!! :D

edv
4th May 2009, 15:55
OKay, here's one:

I am looking for the name of a country.
It is the Oldest Constitutional Republic in the world, and has the oldest written constitution among currently existing countries.

As usual, Google and Wikipedia, etc are forbidden.

Caroline
4th May 2009, 16:48
Mexico?

edv
4th May 2009, 19:21
Hi Carrie ...not Mexico. Much older.

Camelopard
4th May 2009, 22:10
Iceland?

steve_spackman
4th May 2009, 22:15
San Marino

edv
5th May 2009, 00:01
San MArino became a republic in Sept 301 AD. That's pretty old!

Your turn, Steve

steve_spackman
5th May 2009, 01:38
where can the tallest trees in the world be found and what name are they given?

EuroTroll
5th May 2009, 12:54
where can the tallest trees in the world be found and what name are they given?

Canada, giant redwood?

schmenke
5th May 2009, 14:17
california. Sequoias.

edv
5th May 2009, 14:54
california. Sequoias.
+1

steve_spackman
5th May 2009, 18:57
california. Sequoias.

correct...

schmenke
6th May 2009, 14:40
My name is the Fairy Queen.
Commissioned in 1855 I'm still operational today.
What am I and in which country do I operate?

Camelopard
6th May 2009, 15:02
A boat, Queenstown, NZ?

schmenke
6th May 2009, 16:39
I do not float.
I am not in New Zealand.

Camelopard
6th May 2009, 16:44
a train? Canada?

Caroline
6th May 2009, 17:14
Good question Schmenke :)

Name of one of the trams on the HK Peak tramway? However am inclined to think that they may have become operational after mid 1800s :s

schmenke
6th May 2009, 23:09
Caoline is on track although I am not in HK.

Camelopard
7th May 2009, 14:02
Caoline is on track although I am not in HK.

A clue perhaps? if so a train in Southern African he says, spreading the net wide!

schmenke
7th May 2009, 15:26
Indeed I do operate on tracks, however the net must be cast wider...

edv
7th May 2009, 17:01
I'd say a Funicular, somewhere in the USA.

schmenke
7th May 2009, 17:12
Nope, not a funicular, not in the U.S.

I am listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the oldest operational...

EuroTroll
7th May 2009, 17:32
I am listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the oldest operational...

...train? Or, more specifically, locomotive? I'm guessing in a former British colony, as the Brits were at the forefront of rail transportation for a long time (and, dare I say it, some of the former colonies have not progressed much since then...) Kenya?

schmenke
7th May 2009, 17:38
Ah, Studiose is back on track.
Yep, the oldest operational steam locomotive is named the Fairy Queen, operating in a former British colony. Not Kenya though :)

Camelopard
7th May 2009, 18:11
...train? Or, more specifically, locomotive? I'm guessing in a former British colony, as the Brits were at the forefront of rail transportation for a long time (and, dare I say it, some of the former colonies have not progressed much since then...) Kenya?

Southern Africa? Whoops, already asked that, ok South Africa then?

Firstgear
7th May 2009, 18:43
Anybody guess India yet?

schmenke
7th May 2009, 19:00
India it is :up:

FG and Studiose each replied correctly to half of the question. I'll let you two squabble over rights to the next Q :p :

EuroTroll
7th May 2009, 19:22
Aha! :) I claim the next question in the name of France! :hmph:

Just kidding. ;) You go, Firstgear, I'll be away for the next few days.

Firstgear
8th May 2009, 14:09
Ok here goes. Lets try a photo Q.

What landmark was this pic taken from?

555-04Q2
8th May 2009, 14:25
fousto's penthouse?

schmenke
8th May 2009, 14:37
Well that building certainly looks like the BMW corporate headquarters in Munich, although I have no idea from where the pic was taken.

I though fousto lived in a retirement community...

:erm:

555-04Q2
8th May 2009, 14:43
I though fousto lived in a retirement community...

He's got a bachelor pad he splits with Hugh Hefner on weekends ;)

Firstgear
8th May 2009, 17:04
Well that building certainly looks like the BMW corporate headquarters in Munich......

Yes, you are looking at the BMW building, but from where was the pic taken?

schmenke
8th May 2009, 17:38
A tower? Isn't there some big communications tower in Munich?
I dunno, I've never been... :dozey:

8th May 2009, 18:02
The Olympic Tower in Munchen?

Firstgear
8th May 2009, 18:13
Schmenke's tower guess was good, but I was looking for a more specific answer, so I'd like to hand it over to Tamburello as he was right on.

Here's a pic of the tower with the BMW bldg in the bottom-left background.

Firstgear
8th May 2009, 18:14
What happened to the pic?

I'll try again....

Firstgear
8th May 2009, 18:21
Hopefully it works this time.

8th May 2009, 18:41
Oh, well, erm....ok.....

Which city is this & where is this photo taken from?

Bonus point if you can tell me what infamous sport-related event happened on the site.

donKey jote
8th May 2009, 20:13
looks a bit like grenoble, smog valley and all, but apart from that... :s

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

schmenke
8th May 2009, 21:02
Infamous sporting event...? San Marino?

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2009, 02:38
I am thinking that is Sarajevo?

Storm
9th May 2009, 04:16
I am going with a wild guess and say it is Santiago, Chile with the Andes in the background...although it looks too green

9th May 2009, 09:24
Nope, none of you are near. Grenoble is the closest.

Tazio
9th May 2009, 11:44
Munich Germany: Site of the 1972 Summer Olympics, and the infamous Munich Massacre

9th May 2009, 20:04
Sorry Taz, not that.

You've got the mountain range right, just not the right part of it....and the infamous sporting event was a non-political one. It was tragic, however, and took a higher toll on human life.

Camelopard
10th May 2009, 01:12
Milan soccer game? Was it against Man U or Liverpool?

Camelopard
10th May 2009, 05:36
Not Milan, Turin? But that isn't where the riot took place is it?

pino
10th May 2009, 07:24
Can only be Turin and the Superga Tragedy: on 4th May 1949 a plane with the whole Torino Football Team on board crashed, none survived :(

10th May 2009, 08:16
Can only be Turin and the Superga Tragedy: on 4th May 1949 a plane with the whole Torino Football Team on board crashed, none survived :(

Correct....although being Italian gave you a certain advantage with that one!

pino
10th May 2009, 09:02
Camelopard said Turin first so he's the winner :)

Camelopard
10th May 2009, 09:44
Pino, I'm happy for you to ask a question,

pino
10th May 2009, 17:30

Thanks but I don't have any questions right now and I am busy with F1 so go ahead :)

markabilly
10th May 2009, 17:37

Thanks but I don't have any questions right now and I am busy with F1 so go ahead :)
Yeah, Pino, show us what you got

Camelopard been cleaning up around here, so go ahead make my day and take a turn in the pit

Camelopard
11th May 2009, 00:42
I'm in New Mexico. I changed my name, I am a spa town with hot springs.

Why did I change my name and what am I called now?

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 04:06
I am going to say the name of the town now is "Truth or Consequences" after I believe there was challenge put out by the popular game show back in the 50's or 60's for a town to rename themselves after the show.

Camelopard
11th May 2009, 04:07
Yep, that's exactly it, it was originally called "Hot Springs".

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 04:21
Ok..I will give you guys a question, and I will give Camelopard the answer ONLY because if no one gets it before tomorrow AM local time here, I wont be able to answer yes or no any answers.

Ok....here goes: What town in Canada was named after a Science Fiction character? This town and one in California are the only two to be named in this manner, at least in the English Speaking world. Bonus points if you can name both, but the answer to the Canadian town is the answer I am looking for.

markabilly
11th May 2009, 05:45
Neverland in california??Tarzania is a town I been to, named after tarzan

Fin Flo or something like that in canada was a town named after a discovery of some book and the the discovery of gold...

Mark in Oshawa
11th May 2009, 05:54
Markabilly...you are all around it. Tarzana was the bonus....but you haven't nailed down the name of the Canadian town.

schmenke
11th May 2009, 14:27
Vulcan, Alberta?

Firstgear
11th May 2009, 14:50
I was thinking Vulcan as well, but hasn't the town been around longer than teh Star Trek character?

Markabilly-the name you were looking for was Flin Flon, named after Flintabetty Flonaton (sp?), a fictional character in a book, I think.

Camelopard
11th May 2009, 22:19
Firstgear is correct from the info I was given: Flin Flon.

Origin of the name
The town's name is taken from the lead character in a paperback novel, The Sunless City by J. E. Preston Muddock. A prospector named Tom Creighton found the book in the wilderness. The story is about a man named Josiah Flintabbatey Flonatin, who piloted a submarine through a bottomless lake. Upon passing through a hole lined with gold, he found a strange underground world.

When Tom Creighton discovered a rich vein of almost pure copper, he thought of the book and called it Flin Flon's mine, mercifully shortening the name. The town that sprang up around the mine adopted the name. Flin Flon shares with Tarzana, California, the distinction of being named after a character in a science fiction novel.

The character of "Flinty" is of such importance to the identity of the city that the local Chamber of Commerce commissioned the minting of a $3.00 coin, which was considered legal tender within the city during the year following its issue. A statue representing Flinty was designed by cartoonist Al Capp and is one of the points of interest of the city.

So it is Firstgear's question:

Camelopard
12th May 2009, 07:03
Next time I get to ask a question I just might use Ojibway!!!!!! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ojibwa-License-Plat ... 1|294%3A50 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Ojibwa-License-Plate_W0QQitemZ180354587429QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item29fdf89b25&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A131 8|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mark/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

markabilly
12th May 2009, 13:07
well I said tarzania only becuse the author was a well known SF writer, but I figured that the book Tarzan, was not exactly what I think of when I think of SF...Vulcan is more inline with that...unless the name predated Star Wreck by a few years.......

Firstgear
12th May 2009, 14:05
Oh, well I thought I was just correcting Markabilly's spelling.

Seeing as he had the correct idea, and I don't have a Q in mind, I'd like to hand it over to him - if that's alright.

markabilly
12th May 2009, 14:26
Hey last time I did it, many many tried and never came close and lasted even through my ban, and it took donKey FIVE DAYS after I said, can "anyone answer the HORSE LATITUDE QUESTION?" before he managed.....(and he cheated and googled it to get the answer--- :rotflmao: :crazy: :imu: :idea:

Sort of like saying can anyone answer the Flin Flon question......
Go for it First gear...

Otherwise, I shall do an Easy drifter and ask "what is the name of my favoirite resturant that is located within ten miles of where I live?"
(hint: It serves kool aid)

I say make Pino do it and we have a new rule--it must be outside the country in which you live or not...I do not care really....

Firstgear
12th May 2009, 14:35
OK, I'll try to throw up a Q in a while. Or if someone else has one they've been itching to post - feel free.

Tazio
12th May 2009, 15:04
OK this should be an easy one!

Name this city, and the famous European Patriot that was born here.
Here is a hint: "Aledgedly"
He offered his services to Lincoln at the outbreak of the Amercan Civil War
under the condition that the stated objective of the war was to abolish slavery.
Lincoln declined, but reportedly later offered a command of Northen Forces which was rejected!

pino
12th May 2009, 18:06
OK this should be an easy one!

Name this city, and the famous European Patriot that was born here.
Here is a hint: "Aledgedly"
He offered his services to Lincoln at the outbreak of the Amercan Civil War
under the condition that the stated objective of the war was to abolish slavery.
Lincoln declined, but reportedly later offered a command of Northen Forces which was rejected!

City is Nice (Nizza) and the Patriot is Giuseppe Garibaldi.

Drew
12th May 2009, 18:43
Correct....although being Italian gave you a certain advantage with that one!

S**t!! I lived in Turin for 5 months and I didn't get that, i'm ashamed :|

Tazio
12th May 2009, 19:35
City is Nice (Nizza) and the Patriot is Giuseppe Garibaldi.
Figures you would know! :p :

Easy Drifter
13th May 2009, 01:31
Not to ask a question but to answer Markabilly:
Favourite close restuarant: Henry's South in Midland. Right on the water at Doral Marine and serve great fresh Pickerel (aka Walleye). Reasonable house white.
When at Mosport: Captains in Lindsay 35K north of track. Great menu but I love the Jambalya. Also have single malt Scotch and reasonable house red (Sawmill Creek).
Open for breakfast at 7 and large servings at reasonable price. Time to eat and get to track before action starts.
I stay in Lindsay anyway.

pino
13th May 2009, 10:42
Sorry guys but I don't have any questions, so who has one just post it, thanks :)

EuroTroll
13th May 2009, 10:54
Ok, here's one.

On the South American continent (excl. Panama), there are 13 independent countries. 10 of these have a border with Brazil. Name the 2 that don't.

PS. jso1985 is pre-disqualified. ;)

DonJippo
13th May 2009, 11:06
Ok, here's one.

On the South American continent (excl. Panama), there are 13 independent countries. 10 of these have a border with Brazil. Name the 2 that don't.

Honduras & Ecuador?

EuroTroll
13th May 2009, 11:11
Honduras & Ecuador?

Nope.

pino
13th May 2009, 11:51
Perú and Mexico ? :p :

EuroTroll
13th May 2009, 11:53
Perú and Mexico ? :p :

Want me to disqualify you too? :p :

Tazio
13th May 2009, 13:15
I can't think of both, but one is Chile,
which just happens to have one of the snapiest Anthems I've had the pleasure to here!
I rate it at the top right behind La Marseillaise, and Oh Canada! :)

tsxQ8n8JLgk

EuroTroll
13th May 2009, 13:43
I can't think of both, but one is Chile,
which just happens to have one of the snapiest Anthems I've had the pleasure to here!
I rate it at the top right behind La Marseillaise, and Oh Canada! :)

I won't comment on your partial answer, but I do think the Chilean anthem is actually quite rubbish. :p : My two faves in the whole wide world are the Brazilian (which should be familiar enough to all motorsports and footie fans) and the Swedish. :up:

Here's the Swedish:

hAlu-bZLVww

Easy Drifter
13th May 2009, 14:06
I am pretty sure Chile is one. I suspect Ecuador is another. I cannot think of a third unless you go to Central America or Islands.

Tazio
13th May 2009, 14:11
I rate Brazil near the top! Sweden’s does nothing for me!
Let's agree to disagree! ;)

EuroTroll
I am pretty sure Chile is one. I suspect Ecuador is another. I cannot think of a third unless you go to Central America or Islands.

Well, since I said there were two, and that they were "on the South American continent (excl. Panama)", there's no need to look for a third, especially in Central America or the islands. :)

Chile and Ecuador is right! :up:

EuroTroll
I rate Brazil near the top! Sweden’s does nothing for me!
Let's agree to disagree! ;)

Certainly! ;)

Mark in Oshawa
13th May 2009, 14:22
I think the Chilean one reminds of Italy's Anthem, very perky and quick. Sweden's reminds a bit more of my own...

Not sure if I have a favourite anthem outside of my own or not. If pushed, I would have to say I love the French one and if the Star Spangled Banner is done right (which seems to be rarely done) in the right atmosphere, it can be electrfying. Wayne Messmer was an opera singer who used to do the anthems for the Black Hawks when they played at the old Chicago Stadium. Hearing his version of O Canada followed by the roar of the madness that went with his anthem and that giant pipe organ was just electrfying. You didn't have to be an American to appreciate it that is for sure.

Sadly, Messmer doesn't do the Hawks anthems no more, and the Chicago Stadium with its world's largest pipe organ are long gone....

Never mind the jingoism, just the sheer volume of emotion and enthusiam can be heard on the video on You Tube of the anthem at the NHL All Star game during the first Gulf War.....

edv
13th May 2009, 15:43
One of them should be Chile.
The other I guess to be Ecuador.

Tazio
13th May 2009, 17:30
I think the Chilean one reminds of Italy's Anthem, very perky and quick. Sweden's reminds a bit more of my own...

Not sure if I have a favourite anthem outside of my own or not. If pushed, I would have to say I love the French one and if the Star Spangled Banner is done right (which seems to be rarely done) in the right atmosphere, it can be electrfying. Wayne Messmer was an opera singer who used to do the anthems for the Black Hawks when they played at the old Chicago Stadium. Hearing his version of O Canada followed by the roar of the madness that went with his anthem and that giant pipe organ was just electrfying. You didn't have to be an American to appreciate it that is for sure.

Sadly, Messmer doesn't do the Hawks anthems no more, and the Chicago Stadium with its world's largest pipe organ are long gone....

Never mind the jingoism, just the sheer volume of emotion and enthusiam can be heard on the video on You Tube of the anthem at the NHL All Star game during the first Gulf War.....
As an American I respect and honor my National Anthem! Musically I find it rather awkward,
and have an issue with the melody coming from an old British Drinking/Pub Song! :mark:
Francis Scott Key Got the lyrics right! But in light of the current state of affairs,
and in the interest of honest disclosure, I think the last two lines need to be changed to:

“Oh say does that Star - Spangled Banner yet wave,
O’er the land of the gullible and the home of the greedy?

EuroTroll
13th May 2009, 17:49
“Oh say does that Star - Spangled Banner yet wave,
O’er the land of the gullible and the home of the greedy?

Doesn't rhyme! :p :

schmenke
13th May 2009, 19:23
The vast majority of Canadians do not sing the correct version of our anthem.

Easy Drifter
14th May 2009, 01:14
The English or French version? :D
They have changed the English lyrics so often most people have lost track!

Anyway my question.

North America was 'discovered' by Europeans long before Columbus.
Settlements were basically on the East Coast of Newfoundland and Labrador with some further South.
However there was at least one settlement hundreds of miles inland.
Name the known settlement (current town) and general location as well as the European people that settled there.

Any one with decent knowledge of North American history should get this one.

markabilly
14th May 2009, 02:29
vikings
there was news article about this recently the claim that it was close to keninston Minn. but others calim it was fake evidence, so I do not know, there are "rumors" of welsh and irish showing up before Columbus as well...nothing absolutely verified

Easy Drifter
14th May 2009, 02:43
Vikings or Norsemen is correct.
Now the current town and area of NA. It is nowhere near an ocean coast.
I did not see the recent article or would have asked a different question.
No hints yet.

Maybe Wade91 can answer this one.

markabilly
14th May 2009, 02:49
the article was about minn site--stones were discovered many many years ago, thought to be carved by vikings, but later many experts think they were fakes, then something happenned or discovered that started speculation all again that this was a real settlement in the area.....but nothing like the other settlement along the coast,

Easy Drifter
14th May 2009, 02:49
Funny Markabilly. When I started my last post only part of your post had appeared. It is not in Minn.
The settlement I am talking about is pretty well confirmed by qualified researchers.

markabilly
14th May 2009, 02:55
yes i forgot part of your question so i edited--there are some areas i know that have been 'confirmed' far further EAST and as i say, the minnie deal is still very debated

i believe the same can be said about either the irish or welsh, but one of those ( i don't remeber which) showed up long before the vikies, if the legends are to be beleived

Personally, I believe Irish sailors were landing in america for years before and after the vikes, as I know how those people are, and then add in a little alcohol, and they could end up anywhere.... :beer:

Firstgear
14th May 2009, 15:56
I think I know the place you're thinking of.

Seeing it's so close to home, I don't really want to answer, but I'm finding it difficult not to offer a little hint.

Tazio
14th May 2009, 16:13
I think I know the place you're thinking of.

Seeing it's so close to home, I don't really want to answer, but I'm finding it difficult not to offer a little hint.Wheelie-ing, West Virginia :confused:
:p :

Easy Drifter
14th May 2009, 18:13
Nope. Markabilly was a way closer.

edv
14th May 2009, 21:46
I read a fiction book once that made reference to Viking rune-stones in Missouri. So that would be my guess.

Easy Drifter
15th May 2009, 00:42
Sorry no. If nobody gets it by tomorrow night I will start dropping hints.
I thought this would be any easy one!

Easy Drifter
16th May 2009, 14:25
Hint:
There is a drag strip and a road racing track of the same name nearby the town.