Tazio
18th May 2010, 08:04
Obviously it is
Uranus, Black Hole, Dark Matter

What?

edv
18th May 2010, 15:21
OK I'll admit this is a bit of a toughie, so here is a clue:

Of the 3 countries on that map, 2 of them are among the 5 largest countries in the world.

Camelopard
18th May 2010, 15:29
I'll say China, North Korea and Russia.

Actually are they all real countries or is the middle one an enclave or something?

edv
18th May 2010, 15:37
I'll say China, North Korea and Russia.

Actually are they all real countries or is the middle one an enclave or something?

Hey you got it!

Yes, the middle country is China, with N Korea on the left and Russia on the right.
China appears to own a river and its banks that separate the other 2 countries.
I found this on Google Earth while cruising along the N/S Korean border.

Camelopard
18th May 2010, 18:51
I spend a lot of time on wikimapia and had a look at this part of the world before. Lot's of time wasting fun, especialy when bored at work! The comment about 2 of the worlds largest countries was the clincher.

OK, question, I'm an island with which the following are associated, English county, penal settlement, bounty. Who am I.

edv
19th May 2010, 00:44
Easter?

Camelopard
20th May 2010, 00:16
Easter?

Finally been able to get back in!

No not Easter, further west and a close relationship with Pitcairn though.

Sonic
20th May 2010, 08:39
Norfolk Island?

Camelopard
20th May 2010, 10:31
Norfolk Island?

Yes, we have a winner! Descendants of the Bounty moved to Norfolk Island.

http://www.theworldofnorfolk.com.au/Default.aspx

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Island

"On 8 June 1856, the next settlement began on Norfolk Island. These were the descendants of Tahitians and the Bounty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty) mutineers, resettled from the Pitcairn Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_Islands), which had become too small for their growing population. The British government had permitted the transfer of the Pitcairners to Norfolk, which was thus established as a colony separate from New South Wales but under the administration of that colony's governor. They left Pitcairn Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_Islands) on 3 May 1856 and arrived with 194 persons on 8 June.
The Pitcairners occupied many of the buildings remaining from the penal settlements, and gradually established their traditional farming and whaling industries on the island. Although some families decided to return to Pitcairn in 1858 and 1863, the island's population continued to slowly grow as the island accepted settlers, often arriving with whaling fleets."

Your go.

Sonic
20th May 2010, 13:47
Epic guess! :D

Does mean I haven't prepared a Q :(

I'll step back and let someone else jump in.

Sonic
22nd May 2010, 07:43
Ok, I've found a question and seeing as no one else has zoomed in I'll take my turn;

What do the towns of Elbowoods, Kennett, Enfield, Neversink, Butler and St. Thomas have in common?

Caroline
22nd May 2010, 11:18
I have heard of Neversink and know that it was a community in the US that was demolished for a Reservoir scheme. The name has a certain ironic ring to it don't you think?

I am wondering if all the other places have been demolished too?

Sonic
22nd May 2010, 13:55
Indeed. They are all American towns flooded to create reservoirs.

Caroline
23rd May 2010, 12:07

Which capital city am I describing:

The centre and its environs hold over 13 million people, although it began life as a small village about 500 years ago. It has a comprehensive subway system and even hosted the Summer Olympics during the 1960s.

Rani
23rd May 2010, 13:03

Which capital city am I describing:

The centre and its environs hold over 13 million people, although it began life as a small village about 500 years ago. It has a comprehensive subway system and even hosted the Summer Olympics during the 1960s.
Tokyo.

Sonic
23rd May 2010, 13:10
Mexico?

Caroline
23rd May 2010, 15:08
Rani, Tokyo is the correct answer - over to you.

Rani
23rd May 2010, 17:48
Rani, Tokyo is the correct answer - over to you.
OK here it is:
In this country people who became slaves out of their land later found themselves coming back and governing those who stayed behind. What country am I talking about?

Sonic
23rd May 2010, 19:24
OK here it is:
In this country people who became slaves out of their land later found themselves coming back and governing those who stayed behind. What country am I talking about?

Eh? :\

Rani
23rd May 2010, 21:06
Eh? :\
I'll rephrase: The founding fathers of this country were taken away from their native land to be slaves in a far away land. Years after and with the help of the country they were slaves in they founded the country I'm talking about in their homeland. The former slaves became a social elite which rules this country to this day.

If it's too hard I'll give a hint, just say the word.

Rollo
23rd May 2010, 21:24
Israel.

Rani
23rd May 2010, 22:22
Israel.
No that's not the one. BTW I'm not talking about slavery in ancient times but something fairly recent. It's actually nice not to discuss Israel or Judaism for once...

The country I am talking about has a very special story, I've only been aware of this country's story over the past few months after hearing about it in a radio show.

I'll give out a hint. A player from this country was a star in european football/soccer through the nineties.

Camelopard
23rd May 2010, 22:23
Liberia

Rani
23rd May 2010, 22:41
Liberia
Nice.
Of course the aforementioned footballer is George Weah. I can tell you used to volunteer at a kibbutz once :D . Don't worry I won't tell the Mossad which kibbutz it was.

Your turn.

Camelopard
23rd May 2010, 22:55
Nice.
Of course the aforementioned footballer is George Weah. I can tell you used to volunteer at a kibbutz once :D . Don't worry I won't tell the Mossad which kibbutz it was.

Your turn.

It's not mossad i'm worried about, it's not being able to go back to syria that is more of a concern to me,

damn, now i have to think of another question.......!

Camelopard
23rd May 2010, 23:07
I'm a vehicle test track, originally chosen because I was in a no fly zone.

Where or who am I?

donKey jote
24th May 2010, 00:05

Rollo
24th May 2010, 00:18

Was Wolfsburg that close to the DDR Border? Actually if you look at the factory from a distance, then all you see are four red chimneys sticking up.

Camelopard
24th May 2010, 00:26
Was Wolfsburg that close to the DDR Border? Actually if you look at the factory from a distance, then all you see are four red chimneys sticking up.

Yep that apparently why it was build there.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=52.6257694&lon=10.7614517&z=12&l=0&m=b&v=8

The yellow line is the former border (if it appears on your version of the above of course).

donKey jote's turn.....

donKey jote
24th May 2010, 11:57
Ehra is just around the corner from our (very much smaller) test tracks. A couple of people in my group have actually been there for tests. As for Wolfsburg, we test there regularly too... ice tests to be precise ! :D

I´m afraid I don´t have a decent question ready though, so carry on :s

Caroline
30th May 2010, 17:37
Questions anybody?

schmenke
14th October 2010, 17:43
This thread had descended onto page 10 :mark:

So, in an effort to revive it, I'll offer this lame Q: First to answer the most correctly gets the honour of a more reasonable question.

Where are the 4 most geographically extreme compass points of mainland North America (general area will do, I won't bother with the name of the exact point), i.e.

Nothernmost
Southernmost
Easternmost
Westernmost

donKey jote
14th October 2010, 19:19
Alaska
Texas
Newfieland
Alaska
:p

Sonic
14th October 2010, 20:23

So, in an effort to revive it, I'll offer this lame Q: First to answer the most correctly gets the honour of a more reasonable question.

Where are the 4 most geographically extreme compass points of mainland North America (general area will do, I won't bother with the name of the exact point), i.e.

Nothernmost
Southernmost
Easternmost
Westernmost

Wicked. I love this thread :)

schmenke
14th October 2010, 20:52
Alaska
Texas
Newfieland
Alaska
:p

No.
No.
Sorta
Yes.
:p :

You man want to re-read the Q ;)

Bob Riebe
14th October 2010, 21:30

Nothernmost
Southernmost
Easternmost
Westernmost
North should be a part of Canada, and South should be what ever point of Mexico is southernmost.

This is easier if one would actually have a globe.

schmenke
14th October 2010, 21:35
North should be a part of Canada...

Yes.

...South should be what ever point of Mexico is southernmost...

No.

...This is easier if one would actually have a globe.

Yes :p :

I was kinda expecting a little more effort from you all :p :

donKey jote
14th October 2010, 21:37
Panama North side of the canal? :p

schmenke
14th October 2010, 21:50
Panama North side of the canal? :p

Well, I'll give that one to you donks, although perhaps can I suggest you consult at compass along with Rob's globe :p :

Southernmost point is Punta Mariato, Panama.

Anyone care to narrow down the other three?

donKey jote
14th October 2010, 21:53
West must be Sarah Palin's place... she says she can even see Russia from there :p

Storm
15th October 2010, 09:13
^lol

Nice job schmonkey to get this back on track, damn the Q though...

schmenke
15th October 2010, 14:31
O.k. heare are the answers (I just wanted to give this thread a kick start anyways...):

Easternmost: Cape St. Charles, Labrador. 1/2 point for Donks as Labrador is part of Newfoundland (admininstratively, it's "Newfoundland and Labrador").
Northernmost Point — Murchison Promontory on Boothia Peninsula, Nunavut, Canada. 1/2 point for Rob for at least answering the country correctly :p : Southernmost Point — Punta Mariato, Panama. 1/2 point for Donks for the correct country, although directionaly this point is actualy due south of the canal :mark: .
Westernmost Point — Cape Prince of Wales, Alaska, USA. Although I'm unsure of Sarah's exact domicile, another 1/2 point for Donks.

Donkey: 1.5 points.
Rob: 0.5 points.

Over to you Donkey :D

edv
15th October 2010, 16:02
Ooooo.
The geography thread is back. [fires up google earth]snooping around[/fires up google earth]

donKey jote
15th October 2010, 16:17
cheers schmonkey :D

I´m afraid I don´t have a decent question ready though, so carry on
:arrows:

bit busy at the mo, packing me bags and off to the land of the free and bobs again :s

Here goes a quickie anyway:
I'll be heading roughly 250 miles NNE,
then roughly 7000 km WWSW,
next 1000 miles SW,
and driving the last ~150 km WWWSW by car.

I'll hopefully be able to check in from time to time on the ground to see if you can tell me where I am at each stage of the journey. :dozey:

Bonus for the final location. :bandit:

edv
15th October 2010, 16:48
Well, this is made more difficult by not knowing your starting location, never mind the lat-lon in your profile....so I shall guess:

Start in Geneva and fly to Frankfurt for the long flight west.
Proceed to Chicago
Hop a flight to San Antonio Texas.
Drive west to the vicinity of Uvalde (if you kept going west, you might encounter the 'Donkey Ears' mountain at Big Bend Park LOL)

Tazio
15th October 2010, 17:03
:s ailor: Jackson Mississippi :alien:

donKey jote
15th October 2010, 17:11
Leaving at 4:30 am :dozey: , first leg is Hannover-Copenhagen.
edv gets 2,3 and the bonus, and I still haven't even packed yet ! :D

I'll try and convince my boss that donkey ears is more worth it than some donkey shopping mall :s :p

over to you ed :up:

edv
15th October 2010, 17:13
Well, have a great trip! And stay out of sniper range of the border!!

http://www.bigbendpartners.com/tour/x-muleears/S0000294.jpg

donKey jote
15th October 2010, 17:18
Thanks. I'll be around 50km from the big river.
Talking of rivers, I'll also try and stay out of the river at riverwalk :p

edv
21st October 2010, 15:21
OK, the first Korean Formula 1 GP starts today.

In which Korean province is the event being held? Identify by number, (and try not to cheat, LOL)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/edvedv/crap/korea.jpg

Sonic
21st October 2010, 15:26
Methinks it's 12.

edv
21st October 2010, 15:28
Sonic, your signature says it all.

Sonic
21st October 2010, 15:49
Sonic, your signature says it all.

I aim to please. :)

I'll let someone else have a go before I embarrass myself again :D

schmenke
21st October 2010, 16:55
Speaking of embarrassing... having visited the country at least a couple of times in the past I know squat about the provinces :s .

I've been led to believe that the GP circuit is on the west coast, so I'll stab at the darkness and guess #7

edv
21st October 2010, 18:02
Sorry schmenke. Not 7. And now I see that I made 10 an unavailable number. LOL

Easy Drifter
21st October 2010, 18:27
I am guessing 12.

fandango
21st October 2010, 18:36
I'll guess 9, inspired by the old song Drivin' On 9 by The Breeders.

(Hey, Easy Drifter, might be a good idea to look at what other people have already guessed, just sayin'..... :) )

Ghostwalker
21st October 2010, 18:59
i'll go with 15

Sonic
21st October 2010, 19:34
I'm diving back in with number 2.

Drew
21st October 2010, 20:15
Ohh nice question, I think it's 13 :)

Firstgear
21st October 2010, 20:26
Sorry schmenke. Not 7. And now I see that I made 10 an unavailable number. LOL

Ahhhhaaaa.....a Clue!

I'll say #10.

edv
21st October 2010, 22:11
i'll go with 15

Ghostwalker has it. The circuit is located in the swamps just south of Mokpo, which is a long ride from the airport in Seoul!

Your question, Ghostwalker.

Easy Drifter
21st October 2010, 22:42
OOOOOPS! I guess I was too tired.
I was writing an article until 5 am our time.

Ghostwalker
22nd October 2010, 08:35
Ghostwalker has it. The circuit is located in the swamps just south of Mokpo, which is a long ride from the airport in Seoul!

Your question, Ghostwalker.

alright then here we go.

How many lakes are there in Sweden? closest guess wins.

schmenke
22nd October 2010, 15:15

janvanvurpa
22nd October 2010, 15:49

Ha! There's about 10,000 in Örebro län (county--sorta)alone.

My answer 1.500.000 if you count every ankdam (duck pond) or wait to late on Saturday night and count the results of binge drinking.

(It really does depend on the what is considered a ''Lake'' and then language comes into play.Just cause there's standing water doesn't mean its a lake in English, eh?
We have degrees of ''bodies of water'' like pool, then pond, then....on and on all the way to in America and Canada some really crazy sized lakes.

So seriously 200,000 to 300,000

So for once, Sweden beats Finland i Landskamp!

Ghostwalker
26th October 2010, 17:11
Ha! There's about 10,000 in Örebro län (county--sorta)alone.

My answer 1.500.000 if you count every ankdam (duck pond) or wait to late on Saturday night and count the results of binge drinking.

(It really does depend on the what is considered a ''Lake'' and then language comes into play.Just cause there's standing water doesn't mean its a lake in English, eh?
We have degrees of ''bodies of water'' like pool, then pond, then....on and on all the way to in America and Canada some really crazy sized lakes.

So seriously 200,000 to 300,000

So for once, Sweden beats Finland i Landskamp!

well you not that far off ;)

the definition of a lake is a piece of water that ist atleast 100x100m in size (=1 hectare).

That means that is about 100'000 lakes in Sweden which together with the rivers covers about 9% of the Swedish surface,
Largest lake is Vänern (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4nern) which is the 29th largest lake in the world.

source (http://www.smhi.se/polopoly_fs/1.504%21Faktablad%252039_webb.pdf).

so your question Jan.

edv
9th November 2010, 17:02
Can't wait forever, JanVan....

So I'll jump in with this question:

The White House is the most visited house in the U.S.A.
What is the 2nd most visited house in the U.S.A.?

Ghostwalker
9th November 2010, 17:09

the Empire State Building?

schmenke
9th November 2010, 17:41
IHOP

edv
9th November 2010, 18:01
LOL @ schmenke.
Nope.

donKey jote
9th November 2010, 18:18
markabilly´s when he´s out?

Bob Riebe
9th November 2010, 19:59

Jail

edv
9th November 2010, 20:06
I'm not sure if that's funny or sad...

Sonic
9th November 2010, 20:21
Little house on the prairie?

edv
9th November 2010, 20:31
Think Tourist Attraction. Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi was a tourist here.

schmenke
9th November 2010, 20:45
... Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi was a tourist here.

Ah, The House Of The Rising Sun then.

edv
9th November 2010, 21:33
Everyone's been taking their 'funny pills' today.

Ghostwalker
9th November 2010, 22:57
Everyone's been taking their 'funny pills' today.

statue of Liberty?

Bob Riebe
9th November 2010, 23:55
Ah-hunh-huh-ah-heh-heh. Thank you-thank you very much.

edv
10th November 2010, 00:13
Bob's beating around the bush...

janvanvurpa
10th November 2010, 00:18
Graceland.
Ervis!

edv
10th November 2010, 00:32
Graceland.
Ervis!

Graceland is correct.
Dunno who Ervis is tho

Your go JVV

janvanvurpa
11th November 2010, 06:11
Graceland is correct.
Dunno who Ervis is tho

Your go JVV

This is a motorsport forum so motorsport geographia.

In the coldest part of Winter goes the toughest Enduro around this big lake in a country noted for being some of the toughest people in the world---when the going is really tough. What's the lake, and the country?

janvanvurpa
18th November 2010, 23:43
This is a motorsport forum so motorsport geographia.

In the coldest part of Winter goes the toughest Enduro around this big lake in a country noted for being some of the toughest people in the world---when the going is really tough. What's the lake, and the country?

A simple question blending geography and motorsports and nobody even ventures a guess?
want some hints?

edv
19th November 2010, 00:16
Is it that lake in Quebec where Red Bull had their F1 car out for an icy spin last year??

janvanvurpa
21st November 2010, 05:14
Is it that lake in Quebec where Red Bull had their F1 car out for an icy spin last year??

Have Canajians won won like 50% of all the any particular World Wide Championship?

And since when are Canajians among the toughest people in the World?

BBBbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Wrong!
Keep guessing (those hammer on the head hints oughtter help)

donKey jote
21st November 2010, 19:54
prolly Finland, one of it's 1000 lakes ? :p

Sonic
21st November 2010, 20:34

That would be my guess.

janvanvurpa
22nd November 2010, 03:57

OK the Donkey brayed out half the answer sorta.

Juste!

Yeah its one of the 10s of thousands of lakes in Finland. In fact you have to figure out the Enduro--remember this is blending motorsport y geographia, muchachito mio.

Then you know just which lake it is...

More hints: My old garage mate from 1972-74 Hasse Eriksson from AMF Södertälje beat the Finns at their toughest event in the world 2 times..

Now a Swede beating the Finns at home is pretty historic...

Hint Tomi "maj söspendös ar prokken" Mäkinen, a Finn who had had some success driving cars on skinny gravel roads----i(f you can believe people do that---crazy idea!)----- entered this Enduro just a few years ago and showed what Sisu is; he finished..

So lots of hints, figure out the Enduro and you have the name of this BIG lake.