PDA

View Full Version : Snetterton

JasonPotato
4th August 2013, 15:24
Some really entertaining racing so far!

Well done to the Airwaves Fords, about time we saw them towards the front.

All this complaining about top speed from Neal and Shedden is getting very tiresome however. Every time they speak they mention it, funny how Honda's got 1st and 2nd in race 2 and a 3rd in race 1!

As it stands we have Neal, Jordan and Shedden 1-2-3 in the championship. These Honda's really have a disadvantage don't they :rolleyes:

CharlotteAnn22
4th August 2013, 15:30
Amazing racing going on. Massive shame that I'm not there. Well done to Colin turkington you did so well in both races.. Get Jordan back in the 3rd race haha. God luck for the last race starting 3rd and you'll finish 1st ;) good luck to you all.!!! X

JasonPotato
4th August 2013, 17:19
Action packed today :D

christophulus
4th August 2013, 17:21
Not so much action as poor driving. Maybe the drivers have started a drinking game - every time a Honda driver whinges about boost they have a drink. Can't think of any other excuse for the poor driving standards.

JasonPotato
4th August 2013, 17:37
Looks more like a scrap yard out there. Usual Honda overtaking tactics i see...

JasonPotato
4th August 2013, 18:06
No mention of the 'boost' Gordon? Is that because you won. Will be lucky if you don't get DQ!

Think he and Neal should try looking at the facts. There was a Honda on the podium for all 3 races plus there are Honda's 1-2-3 in the championship by quite a distance now.

It's clear they have a straight line disadvantage but the way they bag on about it you would think they were finishing at the back every race.

BIG well done to the Airwaves team as they had a great day!

Brown, Jon Brow
4th August 2013, 18:21
Is it me or are the NGTC cars slower through the corners than the Super2000 cars ever were? They just look so slow and cumbersome to me, it completely ruins the spectacle.

Tixy54
5th August 2013, 13:05
A lot of members making statements about the Honda drivers moaning about turbo boost. I've never heard Andrew Jordan or Jeff Smith complain about it. It is a fact that they have a lower boost than any other car in the championship and it appears that a lot of people commenting have very short memories. A few years ago I can remember getting very tired of some drivers complaining that it wasn't fair because some cars had turbos fitted whilst their own cars didn't, this came at a time when the driver doing the most moaning had won eight out of twenty four races. Strangely it appears that those who are making these statements are supporters of that particular driver.

In my opinion all cars should have the same level of turbo boost, then it would be down to the skill, abilities and tactics of the drivers and their respective engineers/teams.

BDunnell
5th August 2013, 19:38
In my opinion all cars should have the same level of turbo boost, then it would be down to the skill, abilities and tactics of the drivers and their respective engineers/teams.

Yes. All the footage from Snetterton showed very clearly that Matt Neal's complaints about turbo boost are surely justified.

As for driving standards, there were a lot of incidents. Some didn't look worthy of penalty — Jordan's pass on Turkington for the lead in race two appeared fine, while Plato's shunt was spectacular but just one of those things. By contrast, I can't see why Shedden wasn't penalised for the contact with Turkington in race three. Newsham looked rather erratic in pushing Neal off in that race, too — yes, Neal had turned him around at the second corner, but that seemed down to typical first lap congestion. In fact, I think Neal is driving very cleanly indeed this year. Some of his overtaking moves yesterday were outstanding.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th August 2013, 00:11
The boost rules are ruining my interest in the series. With some cars being alllowed to run higher boost it clearly means that cars aren't all running to the same regulations. I don't see why Honda are even bothering to give the championship their suppport when they are being penalised for buliding the best car.

What was ever wrong with racing when the fastest car won? Manipulting the series rules in order to get the championship to go down to the final round is just poor.

BDunnell
6th August 2013, 10:18
The boost rules are ruining my interest in the series. With some cars being alllowed to run higher boost it clearly means that cars aren't all running to the same regulations. I don't see why Honda are even bothering to give the championship their suppport when they are being penalised for buliding the best car.

This thought had crossed my mind. The boost figures ought also to be made public so that those watching the championship know what it is they're seeing — a true race or a contrivance.

Allyc85
6th August 2013, 15:46
This thought had crossed my mind. The boost figures ought also to be made public so that those watching the championship know what it is they're seeing — a true race or a contrivance.

Been saying that for the last two seasons, we really should be told whats going on! Its not like they have anything to hide... is it? ;)

JasonPotato
6th August 2013, 17:48
I've never heard Andrew Jordan or Jeff Smith complain about it

Exactly, they're just getting on with the job in hand with Jordan doing a great job.

It's the Yuasa boys who think they have a given right to have the best cars and to be at the front the whole time. It's true they have the best car, so giving them equal boost to the rest of the cars would see them have an even bigger advantage than they have now. Which you would likely see them get 1-2 every race.

You could say they deserve that for making the best car but the way the championship is, its made so there's more action and door banging. In other words, trying to make it more of a spectacle than trying to please the drivers.

BDunnell
6th August 2013, 17:58
Exactly, they're just getting on with the job in hand with Jordan doing a great job.

Jordan did complain about the boost situation yesterday.

It's the Yuasa boys who think they have a given right to have the best cars and to be at the front the whole time. It's true they have the best car, so giving them equal boost to the rest of the cars would see them have an even bigger advantage than they have now. Which you would likely see them get 1-2 every race.

Developing the car is — I shouldn't need to say — a huge part of achieving success in motor racing. If the works Hondas deserve that level of success, so be it.

You could say they deserve that for making the best car but the way the championship is, its made so theres more action and door banging. In other words, trying to please the audience, not the drivers.

I believe there would be plenty of action in the BTCC with all the cars at the base weight and without a load of fiddling with the boost. The first round of the season always proves that. This audience member is not pleased by a championship where the performance of the cars is decided on what amounts to an arbitrary basis which effectively penalises success and car development.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th August 2013, 18:10
Developing the car is — I shouldn't need to say — a huge part of achieving success in motor racing. If the works Hondas deserve that level of success, so be it.

I strongly believe that what is happening to Honda is enough to put other manufacturers off from entering the championship. History has shown us that motorsport is only worthwhile for a manufacturer if it is successful (TWR Jaguar XJ-S, the rise of Subaru etc), whether or not the title goes down to the wire has no impact to potential entrants, they just want to the able to showcase their technology.

I'd much prefer watch a season of Audi A4 Quattro or Williams Renault domination if it means that the overall level of competition is fairer and a higher standard.

BDunnell
6th August 2013, 23:59
I strongly believe that what is happening to Honda is enough to put other manufacturers off from entering the championship. History has shown us that motorsport is only worthwhile for a manufacturer if it is successful (TWR Jaguar XJ-S, the rise of Subaru etc), whether or not the title goes down to the wire has no impact to potential entrants, they just want to the able to showcase their technology.

Well, in this case I feel it's all marketing and image-driven rather than technology-driven. That's been the case with the BTCC ever since the manufacturer influx of the early '90s. I'm happier with this, personally, than a championship that's a technological showcase, but this obviously does not mean that I advocate the current approach.

The obverse of your view is that a manufacturer could enter with a crap car and be allowed to be successful by virtue of getting the boost turned up. We've seen variations on this in most major forms of touring car racing in the last dozen or so years — the Abt Audis in the revived DTM and the Chevrolet Lacettis in the WTCC were fundamentally flawed cars given significant rule breaks by the organisers to make their involvement worthwhile.

I'd much prefer watch a season of Audi A4 Quattro or Williams Renault domination if it means that the overall level of competition is fairer and a higher standard.

With this I agree.

Brown, Jon Brow
7th August 2013, 17:49
And, as I've mentioned earlier, the NGTC cars are too heavy. They look like they are cornering at about 20mph.