PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

PSfan
10th April 2007, 05:00
Why isn't there a general motorsports forum? a kind of "anything goes" place, where we can discuss some of the minor/abstract froms of motor racing such as monster trucks, Iroc (if they are even having that this year) that silly premier racing series (until it proves popular enough for its own forum :p : ) Snowmobile racing, etc etc...

I imagine it could also be the home of discussions concerning multiple brands of racing such in a single thread such as "I like IRL and Champcar because..." (I understand this cross pollination could become dangerous if there and could make moderating the forum difficult, but I'm sure there are some that are up for the challenge.)

janneppi
10th April 2007, 07:47
While it's not a bad idea, i'm not sure how much actual discussion would there be, most bigger sports are already covered and some of them are pretty dead as it is.

Mark
10th April 2007, 07:53
We had one for years, but in all that time it got about 2 posts..

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 01:58
Maybe the old forum had the wrong name .....
you could try it again but this time call it "Bonkers Racing" .....
it could include powerboat racing, lawnmower racing, drag racing, demolition derby .....
anything with an engine that is raced could be a topic .....
the possibilities are endless, heck, I would participate .....
:rotflmao:

PSfan
11th April 2007, 07:23
Yah, I don't seem to remember there being one before, but I figure I should be good for at least 10 posts a year... :p :

Be also a great place to cover some of the more interesting speedtv shows like cough cough... Pinks, Bull Run, and the I love Angela Cope show (I mean Forza Motorsports showdown...)

And don't get me started on that Nascar Canadian Tire series... (I'm wondering if Ranger is gonna have to keep his racecar in his own garage between races? )

RaceFanStan
12th April 2007, 04:36
I'll pledge at least 10 posts a week & as many threads as I can think of. :D
Make it happen & I will contribute to help keep the converstion going. :D

RaceFanStan
12th April 2007, 04:42
The more I think about this, the more I think it could be fun.
We could discuss obscure racing from the USA, UK & anywhere ! :D :up:

Erki
12th April 2007, 06:19
What? You mean I finally get that powerboat forum? :eek:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA A! :D :D

Captain VXR
13th April 2007, 10:26
And a drift one :s mokin:

jso1985
21st April 2007, 22:21
drifting isn't proper racing!

RaceFanStan
23rd April 2007, 19:15
The Forum I propose would emcompass ANY kind of racing.
If it has an engine, requires a driver & is raced, then it would belong !
There is no reason to even require wheels & tires, so that makes boats acceptable too.
An engine could be classified as a powersource that uses some type of fuel for combustion .....
it would NOT have to be limited to gasoline for power, that would make diesel, jet fuel or ????? acceptable.

I suggested the title "Bonker's Racing Forum" but it could be called anything ...
it could be called "Unclassified Racing Forum" or whatever ...

I think the interest is there for a forum of this type ... it really depends on what management will allow.

RaceFanStan
23rd April 2007, 19:35
And a drift one :s mokin:
I see no reason why there couldn't be drift threads in the forum.
One man's pleasure might be another man's poison ...
BUT in that type of forum it would be up to the posters what threads they wanted to participate in.

We could designate the area of racing in the thread title :
Re: Drifting - xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx
Re: Powerboats - xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx
Re: Drag Racing - xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx
Re: Lawnmowers - xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx
Re: DemoDerby - xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx
Re: Snowmobiles - xxxxx xxxxxx xxxx
etc etc etc

There could be several threads for the same series of racing ...
as things changed in a series, new threads would likely be started ...
with the older threads having served their purpose.

Erki
23rd April 2007, 21:00
Would RC model racing count as well? It has an engine, maybe electric but that's cool IMO, driver is on sidelines. :p :
Also, there's some plane racing as well, I saw something on TV, it looked quite cool. :)

PSfan
25th April 2007, 08:14
Would RC model racing count as well? It has an engine, maybe electric but that's cool IMO, driver is on sidelines. :p :
Also, there's some plane racing as well, I saw something on TV, it looked quite cool. :)

Well, currently I believe Nitro RC racing has a slightly higher profile these days, Speedtv recently had an article/review of a current model nitro off road racer (it was more to support a magazine published by the same house as racer magazine but I digress..)

Also this year marks the 30th anniversary of the Ifmar world championships I believe, and also one manufacturers 25th year of making rc cars so they went out and developed this really trick, hi-tech racer for the event.

I'd also have to look it up, but the current speed record for an electric rc car is something like 111mph... So I can see rc racing fitting into a motorsport forum well :)

I just got my Tamiya F201 in today, so you can understand my enthusiasm for this subject :p :

RaceFanStan
25th April 2007, 15:43
No, I think Remote Control racing should be separate from motorsports racing.
Perhaps it would be more of a fit in Simulations because it won't fit in the format we have in mind.
If the driver can't sit INSIDE or ON the race vehicle & control it from INSIDE or ON the vehicle it WON'T fit.

RaceFanStan
25th April 2007, 15:51
I think the interest is there to justify making a sub-forum for it.
I hope it can be done here @ MSF, we eagerly await a decision from the top. :D

If the management @ MSF passes on the idea, would it be okay for someone to make a forum for it elsewhere ?

(NO, I'm not thinking about doing it @ GoBoogity.)

raphael123
26th April 2007, 14:45
I think there's enough forums as it is to be honest - way too many actually!

I think an F1 and Non-F1 would be better. As things stand, there are some great discussions going on, but they are in forums which most people just wouldn't normally bother checking. If you put them together (as a Non-F1 would include football, politics, jokes etc), you are more likely to come across it than as things stand.

This just seems to make things more complicated for the sake of making things complicated.

janneppi
26th April 2007, 16:51
I wouldn't lump big subforums like WRC, Nascar and MotoGP into one forum , they have very little in common and have enough interested members to keep them alive seperate. I certainly wouldn't bother finding WRC stuff under50 Nascar threads. 90% of areas here are un-interesting to me and i won't go there. I want to find quickly the 10% i am interested in.

Erki
27th April 2007, 08:39
I think there's enough forums as it is to be honest - way too many actually!

I think an F1 and Non-F1 would be better. As things stand, there are some great discussions going on, but they are in forums which most people just wouldn't normally bother checking. If you put them together (as a Non-F1 would include football, politics, jokes etc), you are more likely to come across it than as things stand.

This just seems to make things more complicated for the sake of making things complicated.

More like WRC and non-WRC. WRC consistently has the most forum members watching it. :s mokin: Champ Car is usually second. :eek: And F1 third. :p :

And PLEASE, don't kill the GT forum! :(

raphael123
27th April 2007, 10:08
WRC may have more viewers - but no one posts!

Janneppi, maybe you could have a F1, Motorsport, and a General forum then.

It's a shame, there are many quality topics in different forums, which remain completely unsighted by 90% of the members because its in a topic they assume isn't of any interest to them. Such as the Congestion charge discussion, instead of being Chit Chat, was in the Transport section. I wouldn't have come across it, as I wouldn't say I find transport interesting, but came across it through pure coincidence.

janneppi
27th April 2007, 10:22
WRC may have more viewers - but no one posts!

Janneppi, maybe you could have a F1, Motorsport, and a General forum then.

It's a shame, there are many quality topics in different forums, which remain completely unsighted by 90% of the members because its in a topic they assume isn't of any interest to them. Such as the Congestion charge discussion, instead of being Chit Chat, was in the Transport section. I wouldn't have come across it, as I wouldn't say I find transport interesting, but came across it through pure coincidence.

The reason ther are quality topics is because they remain visible and aren't drowned in the sea of Oilys vomit comparisons.
Same would happen with WRC stuff against some other, like Nascar.
I honestly can't understand why you would essentially wan't to kill off smaller discussions by making it difficult to find them.
If i'm interested in some Champ car stuff, know where to find it now, in your model, i'd have to browse through five pages of unrelated stuff.

And one more thing, why do you want to exlude F1 discussion from the rest of the motorsport discussions, surely they would belong to motorsport to give better discussions? ;)

raphael123
27th April 2007, 10:45
The reason ther are quality topics is because they remain visible and aren't drowned in the sea of Oilys vomit comparisons.
Same would happen with WRC stuff against some other, like Nascar.
I honestly can't understand why you would essentially wan't to kill off smaller discussions by making it difficult to find them.
If i'm interested in some Champ car stuff, know where to find it now, in your model, i'd have to browse through five pages of unrelated stuff.

And one more thing, why do you want to exlude F1 discussion from the rest of the motorsport discussions, surely they would belong to motorsport to give better discussions? ;)

I think people miss out on a lot of good topics, because they are in forums which they simply wouldn't otherwise visit. Thats me talking from personal experience. However if everyone else looks at all the forums regularly, then that's fair enough.

I would personally prefer it to be split into F1, Other Motorsport, and then Non-Motorsport. This concerns mainly the Non-Motorsport, where you would see many different topics, rather than just one specific type on a specific topic. But from what I gather you guys go into all the forums regularly, so you don't miss out on anything. It'd be interesting to know if everyone checks every forum.

And I'd give F1 a seperate one, becuase the smaller and less popular forms of Motorsport would never stay on the same page as the F1 topics as they would be more popular.

Erki
27th April 2007, 13:02
Maybe we should have a special thread named "Thread worth watching"? Then when someone is interested, they can check what's new. :)

RaceFanStan
28th April 2007, 18:20
I check several of the forums EVERY day !
I disagree about heaping a bunch of the forums together.
I like the divisions the way they are ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif
I think increasing the options is much better than decreasing the options .....

I have promoted making a new forum for the misc racing not covered in the other forums.
I am patiently waiting for management to say aye or nay .....

ShiftingGears
29th April 2007, 13:26
How about an American OW racing subforum instead of champ car and indy car seperately? I just want to see how quickly it would eat itself. :p :