PDA

View Full Version : The best of currently retired drivers

zako85
13th July 2013, 07:50
Just because there is one of those long breaks, let's talk about something different..

How would you rank the currently retired F1 drivers for the purpose of filling an F1 car seat in 2014? No mentions of Prost, Mansell, Villeneuve, etc. Include only those who may be available next year: e.g. Kobayashi, Glock (?), Buemi, etc.

pino
13th July 2013, 07:58
Jarno Trulli 😎😜

steveaki13
13th July 2013, 08:12
I certainly believe Kobayashi is a talent, but I suppose it depends on which team is looking. For a midfield team I think Kobayashi is a great choice, whether a top team would ever take him is unclear.

Koz
13th July 2013, 10:15
Schumacher!

Koz
13th July 2013, 10:22
I would say Kovalainen and Kobayashi would be the best. Petrov, Glock, Buemi, Alguersuari not far behind.

Would be hard to pick between any of them, really.

steveaki13
13th July 2013, 13:42
Easy actually. Jacques Villeneuve. :p

wedge
13th July 2013, 14:43
Depends on the team

For instance:

I certainly believe Kobayashi is a talent, but I suppose it depends on which team is looking. For a midfield team I think Kobayashi is a great choice, whether a top team would ever take him is unclear.

IMO Kobayashi is over rated like Alesi for his racer like instincts. Checo was the better driver/potential at Sauber.

It would be a slight improvement but not a great improvement if he drove in Massa's seat.

Kovy is an interesting one as think he redeemed himself at Caterham and deserved a stronger seat but correct me if I'm wrong he wasn't any better than Petrov at Caterham?

Alguersuari is probably another who deserves a seat in F1. Certainly it would be interesting up against JEV and Ricciardo.

markabilly
13th July 2013, 16:37
Scott not Speed!!!! or right now, I think Schumacher, if he wanted to. if the want-to is a criteria then I agree with Wedge

Whyzars
13th July 2013, 18:33
Hearing the name Montoya today whilst watching Nascar at Daytona bought back some memories. :D

tfp
13th July 2013, 20:42
Heikki for me. Then Petrov.

steveaki13
13th July 2013, 21:43
Obviously Glock and Kovalainen are key names, but sadly after going to backmarker teams there careers have plummetted.

keysersoze
14th July 2013, 03:41
Kova and Glock are the big names and would be near their teammates, but I think Mike Conway would make a good showing.

Mia 01
14th July 2013, 20:27
David, David Coultard

The Black Knight
14th July 2013, 20:45
Schumacher is obviously the best of all of them but he won't return to the sport now having finally called a day on his racing career.

Big Ben
15th July 2013, 11:58
Alain Prost

zako85
15th July 2013, 19:08
Given the lack of a heated debate, it looks like the departed F1 drivers are missed, but not much. My personal favorite:

Bourdais: He may have looked bleak racing the same car with Vettel, but the guy is still a great talent, having competed successfully in open wheels (3 time Champ Car champion) and sports cars (3 time 2nd place finish in LMP1 class in 24 hours of Le Mans). Unfortunately, he was stuck driving with not so great cars/teams in IndyCar the last couple of years. Still, it was kind of funny to see this guy go take a part in a couple races as a "guest" in V8SC and Grand Am prototypes last year, and teach them a lesson by winning both.

Petrov: The guy whose drive in Abu Dhabi in 2010 denied Alonso a third championship win.

steveaki13
15th July 2013, 22:05
Given the lack of a heated debate, it looks like the departed F1 drivers are missed, but not much. My personal favorite:

Bourdais: He may have looked bleak racing the same car with Vettel, but the guy is still a great talent, having competed successfully in open wheels (3 time Champ Car champion) and sports cars (3 time 2nd place finish in LMP1 class in 24 hours of Le Mans). Unfortunately, he was stuck driving with not so great cars/teams in IndyCar the last couple of years. Still, it was kind of funny to see this guy go take a part in a couple races as a "guest" in V8SC and Grand Am prototypes last year, and teach them a lesson by winning both.

Petrov: The guy whose drive in Abu Dhabi in 2010 denied Alonso a third championship win.

To be honest. I never got interested in Bourdais. Mostly failed to inspire me, although a few races stood out.

As for Petrov taking Alonsos title. I think that race every car appeared stuck in position, so maybe even if it had been someone else Alonso would not have past.

jens
17th July 2013, 20:05
If I was a team owner and had to choose a driver from former F1 drivers, then to be honest, it would be a tough choice between Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Glock and Alguersuari. Maybe I forgot someone. Petrov's ultimate potential IMO is a tad bit lower than these guys. Though he proved to be a solid driver over the past two seasons, he didn't leave me an impression he can really stand out on occasion like the other four can. Same with Buemi. But it would be a very close call, I'll give you that.

zako85
20th July 2013, 14:51
If I was a team owner and had to choose a driver from former F1 drivers, then to be honest, it would be a tough choice between Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Glock and Alguersuari. Maybe I forgot someone. Petrov's ultimate potential IMO is a tad bit lower than these guys. Though he proved to be a solid driver over the past two seasons, he didn't leave me an impression he can really stand out on occasion like the other four can. Same with Buemi. But it would be a very close call, I'll give you that.

To me Petrov stood out in his last race in 2012, when he helped Caterham team to secure the valuable top 10 position. I think Petrov's biggest fault was that he did not have a good manager. Petrov had a manager who jumped the ship and took the job for herself at Caterham once they fired him.

Coulthard Fan
20th July 2013, 17:25
Deffently not Petrov that's for sure!
Other then the Abu Dhabi race in 2010 he was extremely poor! He didn't deserve a seat in f1 in my opinion

I would choose Kobayashi and then close behind Sato an incredably quick driver just extremely unlucky! Maybe to much of a risk, I love the guy.

I have always been a fan of Karun Chandhok the nicest f1 driver ever fact! He regularly outclassed Bruno Senna and was extremely unlucky to not stay in F1! I would love to see him back in a faster car but doubt it will happen. I have always felt he had had the talent in any car he has driven.

If I was entering an F1 team
Kobayashi and Chandhok would be my 2 Drivers!
With maybe Sato as a reserve.

zako85
21st July 2013, 12:36
Other then the Abu Dhabi race in 2010 he was extremely poor! He didn't deserve a seat in f1 in my opinion

I'd disagree with that. Petrov was pretty much at least as good as Hedfeld and Kovalainen the time when he was their teammate. It's not too bad to be able to reach that level in just three years. A solid and consistent midfield driver. The problem with this is that in Formula 1, a driver that's about as good as the guy next to him is pretty much expendable, and this is what happened with Petrov after 2011 and then after 2012. I certainly don't think we have seen a proof Petrov's potential for a greatness yet. After all, the guy had spent three years in GP2 before getting into F1.

But speaking of which, I kind of wonder why Petrov didn't get a full time job in some other motorsport for 2013. Granted, Caterham took too long to make a decision for 2013. I remember that Petrov's manager said in 2012 that Petrov is kind of interested in rallying as an alternative once his F1 career is over.

Garry Walker
23rd July 2013, 15:14

Bourdais is very overrated, he was actually a 4 time champ in champ car, but this was against weak fields. Look at who were his biggest rivals -Junquiera, Servia, Tracy, Wilson - all ok drivers, but not worthy of being declared as great drivers. In f1 he never amounted to anything.

I personally would like to see Heidfeld back and also Glock. Both still would deserve a seat in F1. Kobayashi was a racer, I'd also like to see him back. He was quick enough and was always entertaining.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd July 2013, 19:42
I don't see how Perez ended up in McLaren and Kareful Kobayashi ended up without a drive. They seemed evenly matched over 2 seasons as teammates. Maybe McLaren just need a pay driver these days.

Speaking of pay drivers, that's what Petrov was. Apart from keeping Alonso behind him on a track that's impossible to overtake on and a lucky podium at Malaysia, what did he actually do?

zako85
24th July 2013, 09:30
I don't see how Perez ended up in McLaren and Kareful Kobayashi ended up without a drive. They seemed evenly matched over 2 seasons as teammates. Maybe McLaren just need a pay driver these days.

Speaking of pay drivers, that's what Petrov was. Apart from keeping Alonso behind him on a track that's impossible to overtake on and a lucky podium at Malaysia, what did he actually do?

Almost everyone is a pay driver. That's how things work IMHO. I viewed Petrov as a classic pay driver before the end of 2010, but he seemed to have improved since 2010. Having said that, what did Heidfeld do in 2011 or Kovalainen in 2012? They were about even with Petrov. The cars they drove were relatively mediocre.

Sage-sg
24th July 2013, 13:52
David Coulthard was not bad driver of Formula One.

Coulthard Fan
24th July 2013, 21:36
Agreed! Petrov didn't do anything worthy of an F1 Drive!
A lot like Bruno Senna extremely fortunate to get a drive!

steveaki13
24th July 2013, 21:49
I personally would like to see Heidfeld back and also Glock. Both still would deserve a seat in F1. Kobayashi was a racer, I'd also like to see him back. He was quick enough and was always entertaining.

Agree.

These 3 drivers are way better than some in and around F1 lately.

tfp
24th July 2013, 23:25

Pits pretty difficult to prove yourself in a back marker car though....

Brown, Jon Brow
25th July 2013, 00:37
Pits pretty difficult to prove yourself in a back marker car though....

If you consistently beat your team-mate you can. I don't remember Petrov regularly outpacing Heideld or Kovalainen or Senna. More often than not he was a few tenths off his team-mates pace but people said 'he's doing alright considering he has come from Lada racing'

Petrov was better than we expected him to be but he did nothing to convince me he was anything more than a pay driver.

RedBullian1
27th July 2013, 13:28
Bruno Senna???????

edv
27th July 2013, 15:45
Would have enjoyed seeing Robert Kubica try to make a comeback.
Is he really out for good?

Sage-sg
27th July 2013, 15:57

Yes! I have forgot about Kubica. I want to see Robert in F1 again, just like you!

airshifter
27th July 2013, 17:26

As much as I hate to admit it, I think his F1 days are over.

steveaki13
28th July 2013, 08:34
It is sad we have lost Robert. He could have changed the course of currant F1. By which I mean he was good enough to have been in a top car and challenge the order that we have seen.

Not saying it would have, but he was good enough to have mixed things up a bit maybe.

Whyzars
28th July 2013, 13:00
Is it too early to say Mark Webber?

dj_bytedisaster
28th July 2013, 21:10

I think that arm's never really going to heal completely :( Too bad, because he is one of the rare super talents. I remember one particular formula 3 race, where he drove a one year old car to 3rd. That's when I knew that I was witnessing a future champion.

Garry Walker
29th July 2013, 10:11
I think that arm's never really going to heal completely :( Too bad, because he is one of the rare super talents. I remember one particular formula 3 race, where he drove a one year old car to 3rd. That's when I knew that I was witnessing a future champion.

He wasn't really that much better than Heidfeld, so I don't think he is/was a super talent. Just a very good driver who in the right car would easily be a world champion, but not quite on the level of Alonso, Hamilton or Kimi.
Sadly, from what we have heard his arm is too damaged for F1 and he has been away for too long now anyway, his F1 career is finished.

zako85
29th July 2013, 12:34
It is sad we have lost Robert. He could have changed the course of currant F1. By which I mean he was good enough to have been in a top car and challenge the order that we have seen.

He was supposed to race in Lotus-Renault in 2011. The 2011 Lotus car was terrible, and received very little development since mid-season or so. A podium or two is the best he could have gotten out of it in 2011. The 2012 Lotus was pretty good and assuming he still had a seat at Lotus, I think he could have done much better than Grosjean, who crashed so many times in 2012. It's a question mark where Kubica could be in 2013. He might have moved on to McLaren to take Hamilton's seat (and have a lousy season) or stay at Lotus and have a better season.

havk
29th July 2013, 20:02
There is still some hope Kubica will be back, he is testing Mercedes simulator regulary. He starts in rallies in WRC2 category, and already collected 2 wins. The problem is the rotation of his elbow and limited space in F1 cockpit, due to this he has problems in very tight left corners like for example in Monaco. In March he said he could drive on 80 % of circuits. There was some more optimism in his words recently. In the interview on the tests before Rally Finland he said he saw more chances for come back than one year ago. He usually very carefully says about this chances.

Personally I think Kubica had a potential to compete with Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, and Raikkonen in proper car. Also think 2010 season shows best his abilities, as Renault better suited him.

anfield5
5th August 2013, 21:44
Have to say Jaimie Algusuari deserves to be in a seat somewhere on the grid. Drove very well for an uncompetitive STR team and was pretty much stabbed in the back by Red Bull (yet another one!). Kept his eye in well as Pirelli test driver, was (by all accounts) all but assured of a race seat for this season before a money bags pay driver took his seat. Oh and Petrov is quite good too.

rjbetty
12th August 2013, 22:44

I would choose Kobayashi and then close behind Sato an incredably quick driver just extremely unlucky! Maybe to much of a risk, I love the guy.

I have always been a fan of Karun Chandhok the nicest f1 driver ever fact! He regularly outclassed Bruno Senna and was extremely unlucky to not stay in F1! I would love to see him back in a faster car but doubt it will happen. I have always felt he had had the talent in any car he has driven.

If I was entering an F1 team
Kobayashi and Chandhok would be my 2 Drivers!
With maybe Sato as a reserve.

Hmmm I like Kobayashi and Chandhok but feel that they are two of the most overrated drivers of recent times. Kobayashi is good but I think there are about 15 drivers who are better than him. I disagree that he was evenly matched with Perez: Perez almost won 3 races in 2012, and with each of his podiums, he was getting faster and faster bearing down on the leader. At no point did I see that from Kobayashi. With his 1 decent podium, he was holding on by the skin of his teeth.

Kobayashi may have also had a good front row, but remember Perez was on provisional pole at Silverstone till the session was red-flagged.

Most of all, Perez achieved this in just his 2nd season. It was Kobayashi's 3rd (not including 2 races and testing for Toyota).

I have to say that Karun Chandhok did NOT outclass Bruno Senna. 2nd compared to 10th in GP2 2008 and outqualfied 7-3 in F1. A ratio of more than 2-1. I can't understand why that makes Chandhok better...?

As for have-a-go-Sato, I think Davidson was quicker in 2007?

Malbec
15th August 2013, 14:06
Hmmm I like Kobayashi and Chandhok but feel that they are two of the most overrated drivers of recent times. Kobayashi is good but I think there are about 15 drivers who are better than him. I disagree that he was evenly matched with Perez: Perez almost won 3 races in 2012, and with each of his podiums, he was getting faster and faster bearing down on the leader. At no point did I see that from Kobayashi. With his 1 decent podium, he was holding on by the skin of his teeth.?

Perez got his podiums by going for the opposite tyre strategy to everyone else to compensate for a poor qualifying position. This is why in the latter stages of the races he got podiums in he looked much quicker than the cars around him, the exception being Sepang where I think he was purely fast. He didn't score a single podium by the conventional route, qualifying well then racing well. Kobayashi lost out on many points in Monaco and Spa where he embarrassed Perez in qualifying only to have Grosjean wipe him out in the first lap.

That said I think Perez and Kobayashi were pretty evenly matched except for where it really counts these days, sponsorship.

I have to say that Karun Chandhok did NOT outclass Bruno Senna. 2nd compared to 10th in GP2 2008 and outqualfied 7-3 in F1. A ratio of more than 2-1. I can't understand why that makes Chandhok better...?

If I owned a mid/back of the grid team I'd snap up Chandhok as a test driver instantly. I don't care about his speed or feedback but as an ambassador for both the sport and whatever team he drives for he is top class. I've heard him in an excruciating interview with Nigel Roebuck where he was asked a succession of stupid questions and answered them politely, intelligently and concisely trying hard not to humiliate his interviewer and just about succeeding. He'd be a great asset, and who cares about his driving skills, its not as if testers ever get to test anyway.

As for have-a-go-Sato, I think Davidson was quicker in 2007?

Davidson wasn't faster but Sato is a great example of a fast driver who never seems to learn from his mistakes, though in his time at SAF1 and now in Indycar he's showed signs of improving.

Of the current retirees I'd probably take Kobayashi, he's handy and hopefully still has his several million dollar cashpile. If he doesn't come with cash I'd think about Glock or Kovalainen too.

steveaki13
23rd August 2013, 20:07
Sato was always a bit to brave for his front wing to take, but he was really exciting to see.

I think he was quicker over a season than Davidson however it was a tight battle.

Kobayashi has been really unfortunate to miss out on F1 this season, but with less teams and less driver changes these days it becomes harder to stay in F1.

jens
29th August 2013, 20:31
From my re-collection Davidson was a bit more convincing than Sato particularly in the second half of 2007. But little between them indeed.

D-Type
29th August 2013, 23:51
I have moved this thread to the History Forum where I think it really belongs

zako85
24th September 2013, 09:43
I have moved this thread to the History Forum where I think it really belongs

I am not sure if it belong in history. Some of the retired drivers still have a chance to come back. I just read a rumor that Kovalainen is being considered for Caterham return next year. And then drivers like Kobayashi or Buemi, still belong in a pull of F1 drivers. It's a long shot, but still a shot.

Doc Austin
17th November 2013, 19:15
Heikki has certainly looked pretty good this weekend, hasn't he? If I'm looking for a driver for next year he's got to be on the short list.