PDA

View Full Version : What technological breakthrough do you wish to celebrate?

race aficionado
12th July 2013, 19:43
Okay, yes, weird thread topic but it's basically an excuse to say something that I feel very strongly about and what better way than to impose it on my fellow forum members.

My technological celebratory remark has to do with the digital recording TV box.

First it was called TiVo, which I never owned, but it's been a while now that TV carriers offer that technology and I have been enjoying it for a couple of years now.

For you younger forum members this technology is probably a normal thing for you - but for us older geeks this is really a miracle.

First, the fact that you can control live TV and not be affected by a phone call or an impromptu visitor - that is awesome. The fact that you can freeze, rewind and fast forward the program after having it paused for a while . . . . . but best of all, the fact that you can record TV programs without the loss of picture quality and the BEST part, that you can fast forward through commercials and only watch the ones that may interest you. That in and of itself is a gift from the almighty, whomever she may be.

Also I admit fast forwarding F1 races and yes, the Nascar races where I am still hoping my man Juan to win an oval some day soon. I just fast forward until there is a crash or if I see Juan's car going forward.

So sue me!

To watch live TV and having to be TORTURED by the plethora of commercials that air is indeed one of the situations that I despise the most - so there it is, I honor the DVR boxes. One of the best inventions ever!

Thank you!!!!

So, Is there any current technology that you would care to acknowledge and celebrate?

Starter
12th July 2013, 20:08
Fire.

gadjo_dilo
12th July 2013, 21:06
''Wouldn't it be better to retreat to a faraway corner of the world, where all its noise and complications would be heard no more? Then we could renounce culture and ambitions; we would lose everything and gain nothing , for what is there to be gained from this world?"

Mark
12th July 2013, 21:08
The technology which has had one of the biggest impact on our lives in recent years. Usually referred to as tcp/ip.

race aficionado
12th July 2013, 22:58
''Wouldn't it be better to retreat to a faraway corner of the world, where all its noise and complications would be heard no more? Then we could renounce culture and ambitions; we would lose everything and gain nothing , for what is there to be gained from this world?"

I want to retreat to a far away corner of the world - but only for a while so that I can recharge my batteries and then come back to civilization and get ahold of my DVR control and multitask as I make use of them tcp/ip's.

markabilly
13th July 2013, 16:12
wine. been helping ugly people have sex since 2500 BC. Unfortunately for donKey buzzard that ain't enough and he still has to fork over large sums of money (probably has to do with his ears and smell)

schmenke
13th July 2013, 16:21
wine. ...

I was going to post, in a broader sense, fermentation :up: .

Rollo
14th July 2013, 06:24
The transistor.

Basically transistors are the central active components in most electronics. Without their uses in logic gates, no modern electronic devices would even exist.
I think that the transistor is probably the single most important invention of the 20th Century in terms of what it changed.

vhatever
14th July 2013, 06:48
As i read through the slag of trayvon Martin racists/zealots/bigots/evolutionary deadends on the WWW, i'd like to take this time to thank birth control.