PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton's First Win.

weeflyonthewall
9th April 2007, 19:21
The McLaren radio communication SPEED replayed at the end of the Sepang race says a lot. Young Lewis expressed confidence he will get a win this season. A win at Silverstone would be a nice touch.

Allyc85
9th April 2007, 19:38
yea, that would be awsome if he did :D Would prefer it if he did it at Spa so i get to see it lol

F1boat
10th April 2007, 07:55
Silverstone IMO.

pits4me
11th April 2007, 16:17
This is good poll material. Once he gets back to familiar circuits he'll be tough to keep off the podium. A win at Monaco or Silverstone would be sweet.

J1
11th April 2007, 16:23
no win would be ever sweeter :rolleyes:

DimitraF1
11th April 2007, 18:37
no way,the next races will be dominant by ferrar

Valve Bounce
12th April 2007, 03:07
no win would be ever sweeter :rolleyes:

That's cruel - :rolleyes:
I am confident Lewis will bag several wins this year, as long as he remembers to
bring on enough water in his water bottle to last the race. The guy is fast, is a good racer, and has gone beyond my expectations.

jas123f1
12th April 2007, 07:53
That's cruel - :rolleyes:
I am confident Lewis will bag several wins this year, as long as he remembers to
bring on enough water in his water bottle to last the race. The guy is fast, is a good racer, and has gone beyond my expectations.

It’s depends how it’s going to AF. I think to the team it’s more important to get the titles than anything else. But it’s not impossible to get a win or two during the season if everything goes he’s way (and if Alonso e.g. gets some problems). But under normally circumstances it will be very difficult (but I hope I’m wrong, because LH is a nice guy and greatest rookie we have seen on a long time). :)

raphael123
12th April 2007, 10:26
Lets not forget he knew the Malaysian track didn't he? As he tested there a week prior to the race?

Anyway, I think it will be quite tough for him to win a race this year unless McLaren have the best car out there. At the moment I think it's clear to see Ferrari have the better package, and it would take for both Ferrari's to have bad races, AND Alonso too, for Hamilton to stand a chance of winning a race. As if you take away Hamilton's amazing start, his race pace was only really good enough for a distance fourth place. Still mighty impressive, but in Oz he was closer to Alonso.

CarlMetro
12th April 2007, 10:44
I think he has great potential to win a race or two, whether he is allowed to do so over Alonso is another matter. I firmly believe that he is there as a No2 to Fernando and if the crunch came would have to defer to his teammate if it meant more points for Alonso's title challenge.

If Alonso is out of the running then I think Lewis will be allowed to win, unless the Ferrari's can do anything about it ;)

raphael123
12th April 2007, 10:57
I think he has great potential to win a race or two, whether he is allowed to do so over Alonso is another matter. I firmly believe that he is there as a No2 to Fernando and if the crunch came would have to defer to his teammate if it meant more points for Alonso's title challenge.

If Alonso is out of the running then I think Lewis will be allowed to win, unless the Ferrari's can do anything about it ;)

I think that will be the case at the end of the season, if the situation between Alonso and one of the Ferrari's driver is a bit tense...which is completely natural and understandable.

I don't think they employed Hamilton with the view in mind of him being used as a No2 though, at least not in the sense Ferrari employed IRvine Rubens and Massa anyway. McLaren have in the past always carried the same line of working regarding team orders. Team orders have generally not been used in the team until one of the drivers is out of the title race. We saw David Coulthard given an equal chance until he was out of the title hunt, then assisted Hakkinen, and even with JPM, who gave away the lead in Spa to gift Kimi the victory, but beforehand didn't move over for Kimi.

I'd be surprised if say in e.g. 2 races time, Hamilton is asked to move aside and let Alonso pass if they are racing each other.

But using team orders near the end of the season when a title at stake is normal. I'm glad it seems we don't have any team now who use team - orders from race 1, like we've seen from Ferrar in the past 10yrs :)

555-04Q2
12th April 2007, 12:22
Ham Boy has proven to be a brilliant racer :up:

He will bag 2 wins this season.

Future WDC :?: You betcha he is :up:

OmarF1
12th April 2007, 18:29
Hamilton is brilliant sure he can do it, but his first big rival to beat and sure not an easy one, it is just a garage away ;)

aryan
13th April 2007, 12:25
Those who still doubt Hamilton, (or those like Valve who couldn't watch GP2 last year)

Take a look at this video from GP2 race in Istanbul. Much has been made of his drive in Silverstone, but I think his best ever drive last year was in Istanbul. Hamilton made a mistake at the start of the race, touched someone and spun, and finished the first lap, dead last. He then virtually went on and overtook everyone to finish second. He didn't win (he would have if the race was one lap longer), but I was present at the race there, and whoever watched him then knew that they were watching a future champ.

Take a look at this video and his moves on Premat, Lapiere Piquet Jr. and his greate battle with Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7L-fA3XZo

Eki
13th April 2007, 12:37
It may take as long as Button's first win.

F1boat
13th April 2007, 12:41
Those who still doubt Hamilton, (or those like Valve who couldn't watch GP2 last year)

Take a look at this video from GP2 race in Istanbul. Much has been made of his drive in Silverstone, but I think his best ever drive last year was in Istanbul. Hamilton made a mistake at the start of the race, touched someone and spun, and finished the first lap, dead last. He then virtually went on and overtook everyone to finish second. He didn't win (he would have if the race was one lap longer), but I was present at the race there, and whoever watched him then knew that they were watching a future champ.

Take a look at this video and his moves on Premat, Lapiere Piquet Jr. and his greate battle with Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7L-fA3XZo

Don't be overexited. I remember few years ago, when I was watching CART, there was a kid called Montoya who took the championsip in his first try. Then I remember the same kid winnning his first Indy 500 and then passing Shumacher in his only third race.
Then we all know what happened, don't we?
LH droves very well, but it is unwise to crown him prematurely.

aryan
13th April 2007, 14:02
Don't be overexited. I remember few years ago, when I was watching CART, there was a kid called Montoya who took the championsip in his first try. Then I remember the same kid winnning his first Indy 500 and then passing Shumacher in his only third race.
LH droves very well, but it is unwise to crown him prematurely.

Montoya didn't lack when it came to raw speed or bravery, he was however a nuthead. He lacked commitment, he didn't dedicate himself to the sport.

Where LH impresses is not just in his raw speed -- as you say, many non-champions have showed speed before -- but it is in his maturity, his professional outlook, and his commitment. That's what separates the likes of JPM from LH.

I am not crowning him champion yet, he has so much to prove and so much to show, GP2 -- as exciting as it is-- doesn't prove anything. But I firmly believe he is a head and a shoulder above anything that has come out of GP2 and F3000 and all the feeder series in the past decade.

Jag_Warrior
14th April 2007, 23:10

Uhhh... yeah. So you think that Hamilton will get his first win at Monza this year? :p :

truefan72
15th April 2007, 04:30
Uhhh... yeah. So you think that Hamilton will get his first win at Monza this year? :p :

:) haha ! good one

jjanicke
15th April 2007, 05:39
I'm starting to believe that Hamilton could be the best rookie ever to join F1. Does anyone know of any stats that rival his for a rookie racer?

1st race: Qual 4th - Finish 3rd
2nd race: Qual 4th - Finish 2nd
3rd race: Qual 2nd - Finish ?

Who has outdone that?

pino
15th April 2007, 06:55
Winning a race ? this guy could be the first rookie to win the title, after today race we will know more about it ;)

Roamy
15th April 2007, 07:10
gee pino is he better than trulli

pino
15th April 2007, 07:30

Not yet but he will be...one day :p :

gm99
15th April 2007, 10:09
I'm starting to believe that Hamilton could be the best rookie ever to join F1. Does anyone know of any stats that rival his for a rookie racer?

Who has outdone that?

Jacques Villeneuve's stats from his rookie season in 1996:
1st race: Q1, P2
2nd race: Q3, ret
3rd race: Q3, P2
4th race: Q2, P1

ShiftingGears
15th April 2007, 10:25
Giancarlo Baghetti won his very first race in F1 back in 1961, cant get much better than that!

Ian McC
15th April 2007, 10:58
Jacques Villeneuve's stats from his rookie season in 1996:
1st race: Q1, P2
2nd race: Q3, ret
3rd race: Q3, P2
4th race: Q2, P1

Not really much of a comparison between the two though.

RWD
15th April 2007, 11:56
I want him to win today. 3rd in his frist race, 2nd last weekend, all he needs to top that is a win today.

speedy king
15th April 2007, 14:41
It either won't be long or it'll be a painfully long wait full of 2nds and 3rds, but when it does happen i hope it's a win that justifies this amazing talent, not a win through default of other people having incidents, but Lewis's talent all coming together :up:

RWD
15th April 2007, 14:57
ach well, he didnt get his 3-2-1, but I will settle with the 3-2-2. I dont think we will have to wait to long untill he is a champion, and then Ferrari will try to sign him, if they are not already looking.

trumperZ06
15th April 2007, 15:04

:D And he's only done three races !!! ;) :p :

truefan72
15th April 2007, 15:09

going which way?.

I am a big LH fan, but JV had a phenominal first year and won the WDC his second year, so I hope LH has similar success. For all those who can't stand JV, you can't take away his accomplishments. like my sig says...

F1boat
15th April 2007, 15:18
I don't like JV, but I admit that in his firtst year he looked very nice and cool and although I supported Damon in 1996, I was happy about JV as well. It was when he became bitter and vile, when I began not to like him.

gm99
15th April 2007, 16:06

No, unless Hamilton wins the next race (his fourth), three more races this season for a total of four in his rookie season and is in contention for the drivers' championship until the very last race, there really isn't :D

Of course, you can't compare the personality and the driving style of JV and LH, but they certainly were/are two very talented rookie drivers with great results in their first year in Formula One.

Garry Walker
15th April 2007, 17:14
Mark my words - Hamilton will win at Spain. Its a risky prediction, but I think he can do it. Massa will come 2nd, then Alonso, then Kimi.

harvick#1
15th April 2007, 18:47

Who has outdone that?

but how many rookies went straight into top equipment their first year.

I think Hamilton has been doing excellent and is tied for the championship lead, but many rookies aren't in that equipment their first stint out

AndyRAC
15th April 2007, 19:57
Could be Monaco, he has a great record there in the junior formulae.

raphael123
16th April 2007, 12:29
Montoya didn't lack when it came to raw speed or bravery, he was however a nuthead. He lacked commitment, he didn't dedicate himself to the sport.

Where LH impresses is not just in his raw speed -- as you say, many non-champions have showed speed before -- but it is in his maturity, his professional outlook, and his commitment. That's what separates the likes of JPM from LH.

This is a typical F1 fan thinking he knows it all because he/she believes whatever they read in the media.

Montoya never fufilled his full potential, that is undoubted by 90% of F1 fans with knowledge.

However Ron Dennis, the guy who had worked with the likes of Prost, Senna, Mika, Coulthard and other greats, stated during the end of 2005, when Montoya was starting to match and beat Kimi, he was the hardest and most committed driver he had seen, both on track during testing etc, and off track on his physical condition etc. So when people say he lacked 'dedication', 'committment to f1' etc, it really is BS, unless you want to think you (not you personally) know better, than his boss!

OmarF1
16th April 2007, 22:13
Mark my words - Hamilton will win at Spain. Its a risky prediction, but I think he can do it. Massa will come 2nd, then Alonso, then Kimi.

It seems feasible, Hamilton winning in Spain, I just hope that spanish fans don't act like they do in football if you know what I mean...

Ian McC
16th April 2007, 22:27
going which way?.

I am a big LH fan, but JV had a phenominal first year and won the WDC his second year, so I hope LH has similar success. For all those who can't stand JV, you can't take away his accomplishments. like my sig says...

From the point of view that JV was far more experienced when he came into F1, you couldn't really call him a rookie.

kalasend
16th April 2007, 22:42
It may take as long as Button's first win.

Hard to imagine at the moment. IMO, you can take out the results of Hamilton altogether and just look at how mature and outstanding he is under pressure. Compared that with the number of times Button was forced into errors while being pressured.

It's just a common characteristic among top athletes of every sport -- how they handle pressure. It is simply unmistakable.

kalasend
16th April 2007, 23:16
but how many rookies went straight into top equipment their first year.

That said, you can also ask how many top team bosses trusted giving a rookie his top machines and what made them do so...

raikk
16th April 2007, 23:56
Hamilton's first win... well it will be some time this year but it is very hard to predect when...

raphael123
17th April 2007, 10:37
Hard to imagine at the moment. IMO, you can take out the results of Hamilton altogether and just look at how mature and outstanding he is under pressure. Compared that with the number of times Button was forced into errors while being pressured.

It's just a common characteristic among top athletes of every sport -- how they handle pressure. It is simply unmistakable.

Which errors did and has Button made while being pressured?

I regard Button as a top driver, who very rarely makes any kind of mistakes. I'd be interesting in you giving me examples, and backing up that statement

OmarF1
17th April 2007, 15:09
Montoya Rocks!

race aficionado
17th April 2007, 16:26
Yo OmarF1! I fully agree with you but come on down to the NASCAR forum.
Our man is doing good.
:)

Henry Cutts
17th April 2007, 17:27
Hamilton will win a race soon, The only problem is (all the extra) pressure from the British media. You watch the coverage on ITV its all Hamilton.

race aficionado
17th April 2007, 17:48
That is the main issue:
Pressure

I have a feeling, just by listening to him talk and the look in his eyes, that he will withstand the pressure bestowed upon him by the media and the fans.

He will eventually make a mistake(s) and as long as he takes them as part of racin'- which I trust he will - all will be alright with this phenom.

All the stars are aligned correctly.
* He is in a great car that will allow him to make the best out of it race-wise.
* He has gone through a thorough race car driver/racer education on various racing series.
* He has a great support and guidance by his father.
* and the kid is just plain good - he's awesome.

great for F1 and all us fans. This year is a treat.

:s mokin:

OmarF1
17th April 2007, 18:20
[quote="OmarF1"]

Lewis Hamilton was Grand Prix 2 Champion in 2006

ArrowsFA1
17th April 2007, 19:22
I have a feeling, just by listening to him talk and the look in his eyes, that he will withstand the pressure bestowed upon him by the media and the fans.
I think that's very true. He couldn't really have stepped into a more highly pressured environment in terms of the team, his team-mate, this being his first season in F1, and yet nothing seems to affect him. Hamilton is taking everything completely in his stride, and -this is perhaps the most impressive thing of all - after three races it seems as if he's been in F1 a few years, not races, already.

His problem, if you can call it that, is when a win comes it'll almost be an anti-climax because it's expected, and talk of the 2007 WDC, while seemingly far-fetched, is not really when you look at the drivers he's beating.

Astonishing :s mokin: and great to watch :cool:

Zico
17th April 2007, 19:40
That is the main issue:
Pressure

He will eventually make a mistake(s) and as long as he takes them as part of racin'- which I trust he will - all will be alright with this phenom.

All the stars are aligned correctly.
* He is in a great car that will allow him to make the best out of it race-wise.
* He has gone through a thorough race car driver/racer education on various racing series.
* He has a great support and guidance by his father.
* and the kid is just plain good - he's awesome.

great for F1 and all us fans. This year is a treat.

:s mokin:

Well said.. This year is indeed a treat. We have two teams with near identicle performance, the drivers are also closely matched and we have a teenage rookie sensation... Best start to the F1 season Ive yet witnessed for many years!

Valve Bounce
18th April 2007, 06:21
Hamilton is lucky: he is driving a very, very good car in his first year in F1.
Having said that, I won't take anything away from his driving, which is outstanding. And don't forget, his team mate is the current WDC, and Lewis is tlloking every bit as good on the track as Fernando.

So yeah! we have a very good rookie driver in a very good car. It won't be long before he wins a race - that's a foregone conclusion. But I won't pick any particular race, because at some tracks, the Ferraris are faster, and at others the MackaLarens can match them. But I am sure it won't be long before lewis will stand on the top step of the podium. He is there on the podium not because a front runner has dropped out - he is there because he beats them.

And that!! is the mark of a true champion in the making.

Nah!!! forget bunsen :rolleyes:

schumi
18th April 2007, 18:09
im very surprised about this guy i think this races confirm how the gp2 is the best place to stay if you wanna go F1, i can´t wait when Briatore fire fisico or maybe Kova..... and Nelsinho start his career of F1 driver (no tester)

PD: remember that batles in 2006 Hamilton-Piquet......

GridGirl
18th April 2007, 18:28
This might be a silly question, but has anyone thats raced in F3000/F2 actually ever won a race in F1 yet?

ioan
18th April 2007, 19:25
This might be a silly question, but has anyone thats raced in F3000/F2 actually ever won a race in F1 yet?

At least one of them: Montoya.

GridGirl
18th April 2007, 19:40
Doohhh I'd forgotton about Monotya winning F3000, I never think of his career really taking off untill he went over to the USA.

truefan72
18th April 2007, 20:26

that's a good question and I'll have to do some research on that. Off the top og my head I have an ominous feeling the answer won't be too impressive.

jso1985
18th April 2007, 20:53

yep many of them I think, the ones I remember right now are: Alesi, Herbert, Alonso and Montoya, there's surely more.

now what's interesting is that all F3000/GP2 champions have failed to win a F1 championship

kalasend
18th April 2007, 20:59
Massa was F3000 champion

jso1985
18th April 2007, 21:10
Euro F3000 champ, not the "official" F3000 series

GridGirl
18th April 2007, 21:27
I looked it up after Ioan said Montoya, and he won the championship in 1998 with a record point score at the time.

But its a good point, the sucess in F3000/F2 hasn't been replicated in general in f1. Kimi, Button, and Schumacher etc have not takien that route.

ioan
18th April 2007, 22:03
Euro F3000 champ, not the "official" F3000 series

Than he might still have a chance in F1!

jso1985
18th April 2007, 22:19
helps that he's not cursed :p :

race aficionado
19th April 2007, 22:06
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=so-long-alonso--%26method=full%26objectid=18926128%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

other than the title of the article - "So long Alonso" and if this article is actually non-fiction - (we just don't know really what the press gives us sometimes) . . :dozey:
. . . this is an interesting article.
Hamilton is blunt, honest and not disrespectful of his team mate and world champion Fernando Alonso. And he manages this as he says that he will eventually beat FA and that the sooner the better.

I'm sure Fernando Alonso is ready foor the challenge

It's just a matter of time, added Hamilton. "I'm working extremely hard. Fernando is very talented and a credit to the team. He's the toughest driver I've competed against and it's going to be very hard to beat him.

"It doesn't mean I can't do it. I don't know when. Soon I hope."

Hamilton denied there was any friction with Alonso (right).

"I'm with Fernando. We're a team and we're working together," he said.

"Of course we want to beat each other but that doesn't overpower our drive for the team."

FERNANDO ALONSO LEWIS HAMILTON

Salary £14m £250,000

World titles 2 0

Age 25 22

Races 89 3

Wins 16 0

Podiums 39 3

Poles 15 0

Fastest laps 8 1

Front row 20 1

Laps raced 4901 171

Laps led 1010 10

Km led 4884 54

Points 403 22

tintop
20th April 2007, 01:26
Thing about Hamilton...he didn't have the pleasure of kicking Michael Schumacher's ass over the past two years. I'm sure that he'll have a great career and will win a GP this year, very very impressive. But there is nothing like the pleasure of owning Michael.

ArrowsFA1
20th April 2007, 08:03
But there is nothing like the pleasure of owning Michael.
I doubt whether Michael was concerned about "owning" the likes of Fangio or Clark. A driver can only beat who is in the same field as him at the time he is racing, and Hamilton has already proved he can match a 2 x WDC in the same car, the same 2 x WDC who "owned" MS in 2005/6.

ioan
20th April 2007, 08:08
Thing about Hamilton...he didn't have the pleasure of kicking Michael Schumacher's ass over the past two years. I'm sure that he'll have a great career and will win a GP this year, very very impressive. But there is nothing like the pleasure of owning Michael.

:rolleyes: Like you would know. :\

tintop
20th April 2007, 08:22
I doubt whether Michael was concerned about "owning" the likes of Fangio or Clark. A driver can only beat who is in the same field as him at the time he is racing, and Hamilton has already proved he can match a 2 x WDC in the same car, the same 2 x WDC who "owned" MS in 2005/6.

Perhaps owning wasn't an appropriate choice of words - but beating Michael especially with that Ferrari machine behind him was a real historical benchmark, kind of like victories over Federer or Woods. Hamilton is certainly the most impressive driver in years right out of the box.

tintop
20th April 2007, 08:23
:rolleyes: Like you would know. :\

No, no I wouldn't, but Alonso would...know what it's like.

ArrowsFA1
20th April 2007, 09:03
...beating Michael especially with that Ferrari machine behind him was a real historical benchmark...
You're right that MS was the man to beat. Alonso was able to do that, and as the 2 x WDC he is now the benchmark, which is what makes Hamilton's performances so far all the more impressive.

ioan
20th April 2007, 10:20
No, no I wouldn't, but Alonso would...know what it's like.

Well he is the only one who had everything in place to do it in the last few years.

ioan
20th April 2007, 10:22
Perhaps owning wasn't an appropriate choice of words - but beating Michael especially with that Ferrari machine behind him was a real historical benchmark, kind of like victories over Federer or Woods.

I wouldn't go that far. In F1 the car is a huge factor, can't compare it with tennis and golf.

Ranger
20th April 2007, 10:28
I wouldn't go that far. In F1 the car is a huge factor, can't compare it with tennis and golf.

The line is too blurry that it just makes such comparisons between F1 drivers rather futile.

tintop
20th April 2007, 14:26

Well then, beating MS AND Ferrari. All 3 atheletes are have the possibility of being more dominant that anyone before or after them in their respective sports, so victories or championships at their expense have a greater meaning. When MS retired last year a number of drivers said that they were lucky to have competed against and in a few cases beaten MS, because it gave extra clout to those victories.

ArrowsFA1
20th April 2007, 14:28
I don't believe that comparison was being made. The point was that beating the person who is considered to be the benchmark for the sport is a big achievement, whatever the sport.

Ian McC
21st April 2007, 12:51
I don't believe that comparison was being made. The point was that beating the person who is considered to be the benchmark for the sport is a big achievement, whatever the sport.

Less so in motorsport, unless they are driving the same type of car, as with Lewis and Alonso.

Valve Bounce
21st April 2007, 13:28
Less so in motorsport, unless they are driving the same type of car, as with Lewis and Alonso.

If we believe that the Ferrari is a faster car than the McLaren, then Lewis beating Kimi is one helluva achievement.

F1woman
22nd April 2007, 16:25

Who has outdone that?

3rd race Qual 2nd - Finish 2nd Who done that let me think :rolleyes: OH NO ONE!! :D

F1woman
22nd April 2007, 16:37
going which way?.

JV and LH are associates I remember last year, JV playing music with LH Both got great voices both of them were also having barbecue together. Remember JV got a album out.

Bezza
23rd April 2007, 19:55
I reckon he's got a good chance at Spain, however Alonso will be fired up for his home race. I have a sneaky feeling his first win will come at Magny-Cours, and he will take two more wins before the end of the season.

F1woman
23rd April 2007, 20:42
yep many of them I think, the ones I remember right now are: Alesi, Herbert, Alonso and Montoya, there's surely more.

now what's interesting is that all F3000/GP2 champions have failed to win a F1 championship

GP2 is a new championship it start 4 years ago. Lewis won it's last year when the championship was it's 3th year.

baker
23rd April 2007, 21:14
I reckon he's got a good chance at Spain, however Alonso will be fired up for his home race. I have a sneaky feeling his first win will come at Magny-Cours, and he will take two more wins before the end of the season.

Alonso will certainly be fired up for Spain. As you say, it's his home race. And also he'll be determined to re-establish his #1 position within the team following Bahrain.

However the race after that is Monaco... Can you imagine the reaction should that happen to be his first F1 win? "Rookie sensation takes F1's Jewel in the Crown" anyone?

jso1985
24th April 2007, 00:07
GP2 is a new championship it start 4 years ago. Lewis won it's last year when the championship was it's 3th year.

actually there has been only 2 GP2 champs, Rosberg and Hamilton, and I think it's too early to know if a driver who has driven there is going to win a race, let's take count only Rosberg, Speed, Kovalainen and Hamilton(correct me if I'm missing one) have graduated to F1

jjanicke
24th April 2007, 05:12
actually there has been only 2 GP2 champs, Rosberg and Hamilton, and I think it's too early to know if a driver who has driven there is going to win a race, let's take count only Rosberg, Speed, Kovalainen and Hamilton(correct me if I'm missing one) have graduated to F1

That all depends on your definition of "graduated". Nelson Jr. is also a graduate of GP2 now in F1, although in a testing role.

Garry Walker
25th April 2007, 09:50
If we believe that the Ferrari is a faster car than the McLaren
It isnt.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2007, 10:09
It isnt.
What do you base this opinion on? To me, on the evidence of the three races so far, Ferrari seem quicker, but it would be interesting to know how you can state so categorically that the Ferrari isn't faster than the McLaren.

Garry Walker
25th April 2007, 10:32
What do you base this opinion on? To me, on the evidence of the three races so far, Ferrari seem quicker, but it would be interesting to know how you can state so categorically that the Ferrari isn't faster than the McLaren.

At Australia Ferrari was faster by a little bit (around 3 tenths in racepace), I have explained in other threads already how going by fastest laps only is actually retarded and exposes ones lack of understanding of F1.

At Malaysia it was clear that McLaren was actually the quicker car there.

So far 1:1

Then came Bahrain. In my view, McLaren and Ferrari were around equal. What do I base that on? Well, The Race. Hamilton in the first stint was quicker than Massa (who had some oversteering issues), but couldnt get pass. In the 2nd stint, it was Hamilton who struggled due to wrong tyre pressures that McLaren gave him and probably too much fuel, whereas Massa had a car working superbly. But what worked for Massas advantage now was that whereas in the first stint he could slow down Hamilton when LH was quicker, now Hamilton couldnt do anything against Massa who could run at his own pace. So they are pretty much equal. People got such distorted views after Melbourne that in the eyes of some, Ferrari became the best car for the whole season and they will stick to saying that even if it painfully obvious that isnt really the case. So speedwise, they are equal. Reliablity wise, McLaren has so far been better.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2007, 10:50
Thanks Garry, that's a better explaination of your "It isn't" opinion but it could have done without the "retarded" comment, because that kind of discussion helps no-one, least of all you.

raphael123
25th April 2007, 10:56
I don't think many people would agree with you Garry in that McLaren have the faster car. I'd say the large majority of fans would agree with Arrows and 90% of this forum that Ferrari is the quicker car, as does 99% of the paddock. Malaysia Ferrari messed up in the race. Massa was in traffic all race, and the only time Kimi wasn't in traffic was during the 2nd stint, but Lewis fuelled short, and Kimi fuelled long, so couldn't make use of a quicker car. Australia, as you say, Ferrari were in a different league. In bahrain though things were much closer, but as you can see, Ferrari finished 1 & 3, McLaren 2 & 5. Qualifying was 1 & 3 for Ferrari, McLaren had 2 & 4 - I don't think it's hard to work out which team were quicker that weekend. If you want to look at the practice times as well, Ferrari were quicker in every practice, and all the Qualifiying sessions, bar one practice session on Sat morning, where Hamilton beat Kimi by 0.007!

As I say, it's quite clear to most Ferrari are the quicker team, but they've committed more mistakes, and haven't maxamised their resources like McLaren have so far.

leopard
25th April 2007, 11:13
About speed and reliability, I’d rather to put aside Sepang case, If only Massa can maintain his pole, didn’t make bad start that let two McLarens leading, and made mistake when trying to make overtaking Hamilton, we might have seen different result.

McLaren applied smart strategy at Sepang, there was no room for Kimi overtaking Hamilton, while Massa was unluckily locked behind Heidfeld. BMW isn’t as good as Ferrari but they aren’t also marked difference worse than Ferrari, which has made difficult overtaking of Massa on Heidfeld. Sepang was fully under control of McLaren.

As of this stage, Ferrari still better in term of speed and reliability although someday in this season to see the other way around isn’t something impossible. McLaren is only has shade difference right behind Ferrari which once they apply the right strategy and the race condition support their character, they will again win over the Ferrari. McLaren has solid drivers that has favored McLaren to be looked as a reliable car, Bahrain was evidence that Hamilton drove that strong, Alonso with a not too perfect car was able to reach finish lane safely.

Garry Walker
25th April 2007, 12:35
I don't think many people would agree with you Garry in that McLaren have the faster car. I'd say the large majority of fans would agree with Arrows and 90% of this forum that Ferrari is the quicker car, as does 99% of the paddock. How do you know that 99% of the paddock thinks Ferrari is the quickest car?

Malaysia Ferrari messed up in the race. Massa was in traffic all race, and the only time Kimi wasn't in traffic was during the 2nd stint, but Lewis fuelled short, and Kimi fuelled long, so couldn't make use of a quicker car.

Considering Kimi fuelled long and LH short, thats exactly what should have helped KR show his quickness over the McLarens then. By keeping pace with LH, despite more fuel. But he couldnt at all. McLarens were in a different class that day. When Massa had clear air, and he did for a little while, then he wasnt able to go any quicker than FA or LH either or even nearly as quick. Also, sector times show that Ferraris were nowhere as good as the Maccas.

Australia, as you say, Ferrari were in a different league.
just like McLarens were in a different league at Malaysia.

In bahrain though things were much closer, but as you can see, Ferrari finished 1 & 3, McLaren 2 & 5. Qualifying was 1 & 3 for Ferrari, McLaren had 2 & 4 - I don't think it's hard to work out which team were quicker that weekend. If you want to look at the practice times as well, Ferrari were quicker in every practice, and all the Qualifiying sessions, bar one practice session on Sat morning, where Hamilton beat Kimi by 0.007!
Practise times are irrelevant, especially FP1 and FP2. In qualifying, if im not mistaken then LH didnt improve on his 2nd try in the final qualy. But what counts is the race. I brought up some points from the race in my previous post in this thread and you havent countered them.

As I say, it's quite clear to most Ferrari are the quicker team, but they've committed more mistakes, and haven't maxamised their resources like McLaren have so far.

No, its not clear at all that Ferrari is the quicker car. They might be the quickest car at Spain, or they might not. Please dont let that distort your views on the previous races. I find that most people, when doing their analysis on the Malaysian race, were still mentally stuck in Australia and with blinders on kept going on about Ferrari being 1 second per lap quicker. There never was such thing this year, nor will there be such a thing this year.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2007, 13:30
Practise times are irrelevant, especially FP1 and FP2. In qualifying, if im not mistaken then LH didnt improve on his 2nd try in the final qualy. But what counts is the race.
So fastest laps are irrelevant and now practice times are irrelevant?

But what counts is the race.
Which is when a driver sets his fastest lap. Which is as close to an indication of true pace we get now that qualifying is a strategic game, not a contest to see who is fastest on the day.

I find that most people, when doing their analysis on the Malaysian race, were still mentally stuck in Australia and with blinders on kept going on about Ferrari being 1 second per lap quicker. There never was such thing this year, nor will there be such a thing this year.
So Kimi being 1.079s quicker in comparison with Alonso's fastest lap in Melbourne is fiction?

Can you not see where some of us are having a little difficulty squaring your claim that Ferrari have not been quicker than McLaren, with what is there for everyone to see? Eliminating the times that Ferrari were clearly quicker because it doesn't fit with your view does rather weaken your argument, unless I haven't understood what you're saying, and if that's the case then I apologise.

raphael123
25th April 2007, 13:31
How do you know that 99% of the paddock thinks Ferrari is the quickest car?

Obviously that is not a survey I have personally carried out. But you'll be hard pushed to find someone who will state that McLaren have so far had the fastest car this year. Most will say McLaren have made a better start, but I don't think you could find many, if any who would agree with you that McLaren are actually quicker than Ferrari.

Considering Kimi fuelled long and LH short, thats exactly what should have helped KR show his quickness over the McLarens then. By keeping pace with LH, despite more fuel. But he couldnt at all. McLarens were in a different class that day. When Massa had clear air, and he did for a little while, then he wasnt able to go any quicker than FA or LH either or even nearly as quick. Also, sector times show that Ferraris were nowhere as good as the Maccas.

In fairness, the stint in which Lewis managed to open a slight gap, the majority of that was made during the pitstops, as he stayed out 2-3 laps longer than Kimi, and on top of that, due to pitting in later, and putting 5-6 laps less fuel on board (than Kimi did), had a much shorter pitstop, compared to Kimi who had to put in 5-6 laps more fuel, and was out there on a full fuel load while Lewis was running on fumes - allowed him to open up quite a gap. Then also during the 2nd stint after the pitstops, Lewis was on less fuel and newer tyres, which made sense that Lewis was slightly quicker. In the end, the McLaren start and their strategy after that stopped Ferrari from showing their true pace, but it was clear all weekend beforehand that Ferrari had the quicker car.

Practise times are irrelevant, especially FP1 and FP2. In qualifying, if im not mistaken then LH didnt improve on his 2nd try in the final qualy. But what counts is the race. I brought up some points from the race in my previous post in this thread and you havent countered them.

They are irrelevant to the race result, however they are a good indication when analysing who is quickest. A car isn't top of the time sheets in 90% of the practice times for no reason! Obviously qualifying in particular, and the race results give us a better indication (in the race though there are so many variables they don't always tell you who was quickest - e.g. the McLaren's were clearly the quickest car in 05!).

So ok, ignore the practice times for the time being, let's compare the qualifying, Ferrari have got 3 poles, McLaren 0.

Now the races, Ferrari have got 2 wins, McLaren have got 1. Let's look at it into more detail - McLaren haven't really made any mistakes, while Ferrari had problems for Massa in Oz, and then Massa made a rookie error in Malaysia, Kimi had a weak engine in Malaysia. Bahrain was the first trouble free race for Ferrari. If Ferrari had made the most of their car and drivers, in the same way McLaren, it's quite clear to see Ferrari would be leading the championship, and the drivers title.

I'm not sure which points I missed your referring to sorry.

No, its not clear at all that Ferrari is the quicker car. They might be the quickest car at Spain, or they might not. Please dont let that distort your views on the previous races. I find that most people, when doing their analysis on the Malaysian race, were still mentally stuck in Australia and with blinders on kept going on about Ferrari being 1 second per lap quicker. There never was such thing this year, nor will there be such a thing this year.

Don't worry, I'm not :)

ioan
25th April 2007, 14:16
Which is when a driver sets his fastest lap. Which is as close to an indication of true pace we get now that qualifying is a strategic game, not a contest to see who is fastest on the day.

To base your argument on 1 lap time out of 60 or 70 isn't at all realistic.

Shalafi
25th April 2007, 14:32

At least it shows the ultimate pace that driver can achieve in his car when it really matters.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2007, 14:33
But ioan, the fastest lap is exactly that. It shows the pace of the car at its fastest in a race, and in Australia the fastest McLaren was 1.079s slower than the fastest Ferrari.

Isn't that a relevant fact when the discussion has turned to whether the Ferrari is a quicker car than the McLaren?

raphael123
25th April 2007, 14:38
I agree with Arrows, though I would say that qualifying is an even better indication - just because in races, when you have perfect tyres and balance, and a good fuel load to lap quick, you may be stuck in traffic or what not.

Saying that, both Kimi and Alonso had large amount of times with no traffic in Oz, so that was representative. In Malaysia, Massa chances were messed up (by himself!) when he was stuck behind Lewis and Heidfeld for the large majority of the race.

ioan
25th April 2007, 15:33
But ioan, the fastest lap is exactly that. It shows the pace of the car at its fastest in a race, and in Australia the fastest McLaren was 1.079s slower than the fastest Ferrari.

Isn't that a relevant fact when the discussion has turned to whether the Ferrari is a quicker car than the McLaren?

Don't know how relevant that is, but than is also as relevant to take into account what happened in Malaysia in terms of fastest laps.

I would say that Ferrari might have a small advantage over McLaren, but I believe that the drivers are also making a difference there.

ArrowsFA1
25th April 2007, 15:36
Don't know how relevant that is, but than is also as relevant to take into account what happened in Malaysia in terms of fastest laps.
Of course :up: :cool:

weeflyonthewall
26th April 2007, 01:16
However the race after that is Monaco... Can you imagine the reaction should that happen to be his first F1 win? "Rookie sensation takes F1's Jewel in the Crown" anyone?

Hamilton winning Monaco would be SWEET!

Valve Bounce
26th April 2007, 01:32
Hamilton winning Monaco would be SWEET!

Agreed! :up:

jjanicke
27th April 2007, 02:50

I would say that Ferrari might have a small advantage over McLaren, but I believe that the drivers are also making a difference there.

:D

Even in defeat (although this wasn't an argument about/with Ioan) you dig your heals in.

Well at least if we ever agree on something, and are arguing with others, I'll know I can count on you. ;)

Garry Walker
30th April 2007, 17:16
So fastest laps are irrelevant and now practice times are irrelevant?

Practise times indeed, are absolutely and totally irrelevant. Unless you put every driver on the same program.

So Kimi being 1.079s quicker in comparison with Alonso's fastest lap in Melbourne is fiction?

No, but I have explained it 1000 times already. Alonso didnt put a fast lap together, he did his fastest sector times on 2 consequtive laps and he had TRAFFIC problems when doing those laps.

Can you not see where some of us are having a little difficulty squaring your claim that Ferrari have not been quicker than McLaren, with what is there for everyone to see? Eliminating the times that Ferrari were clearly quicker because it doesn't fit with your view does rather weaken your argument, unless I haven't understood what you're saying, and if that's the case then I apologise.

Everyone could see McLarens were faster at Malaysia, just as everyone could see Ferraris were faster at Australia. :)

Obviously that is not a survey I have personally carried out. But you'll be hard pushed to find someone who will state that McLaren have so far had the fastest car this year. Most will say McLaren have made a better start, but I don't think you could find many, if any who would agree with you that McLaren are actually quicker than Ferrari.

If you havent done such a survey, then why claim something you cant in any way prove? Better not do something like that in court or the judge will laugh at you.
And where exactly have I claimed that McLaren have overall been faster this year? I said speedwise they have been equal, with both teams having one race where they were clearly quicker and one race where they were equal.

In fairness, the stint in which Lewis managed to open a slight gap, the majority of that was made during the pitstops, as he stayed out 2-3 laps longer than Kimi, and on top of that, due to pitting in later, and putting 5-6 laps less fuel on board (than Kimi did), had a much shorter pitstop, compared to Kimi who had to put in 5-6 laps more fuel, and was out there on a full fuel load while Lewis was running on fumes - allowed him to open up quite a gap. Then also during the 2nd stint after the pitstops, Lewis was on less fuel and newer tyres, which made sense that Lewis was slightly quicker. In the end, the McLaren start and their strategy after that stopped Ferrari from showing their true pace, but it was clear all weekend beforehand that Ferrari had the quicker car.
lets put things in order
Kimi 1st pitstop at Malaysia was 2 laps earlier than Hamiltons. His pitstop lasted 2,5 seconds more (they had a slight problem which cost around 1 second).
Kimis second pitstop was 3 laps later than Hamiltons, so there was no 5-6 laps later as you claim.
In the 2nd stint, when Kimi had 3 laps more fuel, which probably costs around 0,25 second per lap the gap between him and Hamilton increased from 6 seconds on lap 21 to 12,9 seconds on lap 37. Thats 6,9 seconds within 16 laps. Thats over 0,43 seconds on average per lap. So clearly Kimi wasnt able to close in on LH, which he should have been able to do had he had the quicker car, despite the 3 laps of extra fuel. But he wasnt able to do that.
Now If KR couldnt match the pace of rookie LH, what chance did he have against Alonso in the other McLaren? None whatsoever. Time to admit McLaren on the raceday had an advantage at Malaysia, and a clear one at that too. Both Ferraris had empty track for quite long periods of the race and the only thing they had to do was push hard and close down on the McLarens. They werent able to do it, ergo, they had a slower car. Sector times put McLarens dominance into a clear show aswell.

If you want to talk about the weekend beforehand (do you mean qualifying at Malaysia or australia? I will assume qualy at Malaysia), then FA and LH beat both ferraris in qual 1 and in Qual 2 Alonso was clearly the fastest too. But those laps in qualy would have meant nothing had they not been able to show great pace again in the race, but they were able to show it and show how competetive their package was there.

So ok, ignore the practice times for the time being, let's compare the qualifying, Ferrari have got 3 poles, McLaren 0. In the final qualifying, Ferrari drivers performed better at Malaysia and Bahrain. Both times Massa put in a very impressive laptime, whereas his rivals werent able to reproduce their form.

I'm not sure which points I missed your referring to sorry.
I explained quite clearly about the Bahrain race and the problems Massa and Hamilton encountered at various stages and how Massa wasnt as much hurt by his as Hamilton was hurt by his, and that your bringing up of practise times was dumb.

And in the case of Mclaren, that laptime very clearly wasnt the ultimate laptime they were able to achieve. On its own fastest lap is irrelevant, you have to understand the context.

Saying that, both Kimi and Alonso had large amount of times with no traffic in Oz, so that was representative.
Actually, no. FA was stuck behind Hamilton for 2/3 of the race and only in the final stint he was able to be free. By then it was a procession

jjanicke
1st May 2007, 05:17
Everyone could see McLarens were faster at Malaysia, just as everyone could see Ferraris were faster at Australia. :)

Kimi was driving compromised and Masa just plainly fncked up! How does that illustrate the Mclarens were the faster of the two?

Only thing it shows to me is that Mclaren had a very good trouble free weekend. Ferrari couldn't keep from tripping themselves up. Nothing more, nothing less.

lets put things in order
Kimi 1st pitstop at Malaysia was 2 laps earlier than Hamiltons. His pitstop lasted 2,5 seconds more (they had a slight problem which cost around 1 second).
Kimis second pitstop was 3 laps later than Hamiltons, so there was no 5-6 laps later as you claim.
In the 2nd stint, when Kimi had 3 laps more fuel, which probably costs around 0,25 second per lap the gap between him and Hamilton increased from 6 seconds on lap 21 to 12,9 seconds on lap 37. Thats 6,9 seconds within 16 laps. Thats over 0,43 seconds on average per lap. So clearly Kimi wasnt able to close in on LH, which he should have been able to do had he had the quicker car, despite the 3 laps of extra fuel. But he wasnt able to do that.
Now If KR couldnt match the pace of rookie LH, what chance did he have against Alonso in the other McLaren? None whatsoever. Time to admit McLaren on the raceday had an advantage at Malaysia, and a clear one at that too. Both Ferraris had empty track for quite long periods of the race and the only thing they had to do was push hard and close down on the McLarens. They werent able to do it, ergo, they had a slower car. Sector times put McLarens dominance into a clear show aswell.

Interesting how you make your argument. Unfortunately pace simply wasn't a factor of weight in for Kimi. Although that is one contributing factor it would also help to have a full power engine (see above).

How does that factor into your theory?

raphael123
1st May 2007, 10:34
Practise times indeed, are absolutely and totally irrelevant. Unless you put every driver on the same program.

It does definately give you an indication of which car is the quickest. If your car is top of the practice sheets 9/10 - that tends to suggest you have the quickest car. It's quite rare for a team to top all the time sheets, only to be beaten by a team which was nowhere near the top of the timesheets.

No, but I have explained it 1000 times already. Alonso didnt put a fast lap together, he did his fastest sector times on 2 consequtive laps and he had TRAFFIC problems when doing those laps.

You always have an excuse. However when it's pointed out to you that Massa f*cked up in Malaysia, and Kimi had a low revved engine, plus a sh!t strategy, that does not seem to be reason enough to show the Ferrari had a slight edge in terms of pace.

Well, not everyone. Have you carried out a survey? :) If you havent done such a survey, then why claim something you cant in any way prove? Better not do something like that in court or the judge will laugh at you.

If you havent done such a survey, then why claim something you cant in any way prove? Better not do something like that in court or the judge will laugh at you.

It was more of a figure of speech, I didn't think I'd have to explain that to you :dozey: But my point still stands. I haven't seen anyone on the paddock come out and say that McLaren are as quick as Ferrari. Everyone has so far said Ferrari have a slight edge.

And where exactly have I claimed that McLaren have overall been faster this year? I said speedwise they have been equal, with both teams having one race where they were clearly quicker and one race where they were equal.

I find your thinking that McLaren were equal to Ferrari in Bahrain quite amusing. They were very close, but Ferrari clearly had an advantage, as the results show us.

They finished 1st and 3rd compared to McLarens 2nd and 5th. Neither teams had any major problems. The fastest lap was 1st and 3rd for Ferrari, McLaren 2nd and 4th. The same also applies to qualifying 3. Ferrari were also quicker in the other Qualifying sessions, and in Friday's practice times. So even if you exclude the practice sessions, and just look at qualifying 2 & 3, Race results, and fastest lap, Ferrari quite clearly beat McLAren. Yet you still claim they were equal, based on the fact Hamilton managed to hold onto Massa in the opening stint, and close in on Massa when Massa cruised to the end.

lets put things in order

I was referring to the fuel loads. As you say, Kimi pitted in 2 laps earlier, and pitted in 3 laps later - therefore he had to put in at least 5 laps more fuel than Lewi in the first stop.

Your quite happy to use stat's when it suits you, but when turned the other way round, you refuse to accept them as valid. Is there any point in a discussion with you? As has been explained, Ferrari stuffed up their weekend, and simply failed to get the best out of the car, while McLaren completely optimised the car they had. Massa messed up the start, and compromised Kimi's start too, and then spun. After that the best he could have hoped for was 4th, and without wanting to risk another error, failed to capitalise on his bigger speed than Heidfeld. Kimi was very conservative, and as has been pointing out, was carrying a weak engine all race. I think that goes some way to explaining why he wasn't as quick as some might have expected.

PS: Where do you get the figures 0.25s per lap for 3 laps on board etc? :)

If you want to talk about the weekend beforehand (do you mean qualifying at Malaysia or australia? I will assume qualy at Malaysia), then FA and LH beat both ferraris in qual 1 and in Qual 2 Alonso was clearly the fastest too. But those laps in qualy would have meant nothing had they not been able to show great pace again in the race, but they were able to show it and show how competetive their package was there.

So why is this not a valid arguement for Ferrari in Bahrain? They dominated practice, and Q1 & 2, and then controlled the race from start to finish. Surely if you can use that as an arguement to show McLaren had the pace over Ferrari that weekend, then it can be used to show Ferrari had the pace over McLaren in Bahrain. What's the difference?

In the final qualifying, Ferrari drivers performed better at Malaysia and Bahrain. Both times Massa put in a very impressive laptime, whereas his rivals werent able to reproduce their form.

Another excuse! So when McLaren beat Ferrari, it's because McLaren had a quicker car. When Ferrari beat the McLarens, it's because the drivers did a better job than the McLaren drivers, and nothing to do with a car advantage. It's becoming increasingly hard to take your arguement seriously now Garry.

If you want to bring drivers performance into it, I think we can safely say that Ferrari had a big off day in Malaysia, which allowed McLaren to win, even if they didn't have a car as quick as Ferrari, or at least they didnt have a quicker car! Massa spun off and looked dejected, and Kimi was pretty conservative, as he has been all season. So can we not say it's Ferrari's drivers, rather than their lack of pace in the car that resulted in McLaren's 1-2 in Malayisa? Or can that excuse only be used for Ferrari? I don't think many people would say Massa and Kimi have performced better than Alonso and Lewis! Alonso and Lewis have been all but perfect so far, apart from Alonso who maybe lost a couple of points in Bahrain.

I explained quite clearly about the Bahrain race and the problems Massa and Hamilton encountered at various stages and how Massa wasnt as much hurt by his as Hamilton was hurt by his, and that your bringing up of practise times was dumb.

But you bringing practice times in Malaysia isn't dumb?
And I didn't see you clearly explain the problems they both suffered :dozey:

And in the case of Mclaren, that laptime very clearly wasnt the ultimate laptime they were able to achieve. On its own fastest lap is irrelevant, you have to understand the context.

I agree with that.

Actually, no. FA was stuck behind Hamilton for 2/3 of the race and only in the final stint he was able to be free. By then it was a procession

What race are you talking about?

weeflyonthewall
14th May 2007, 16:29
Alonso will certainly be fired up for Spain. As you say, it's his home race. And also he'll be determined to re-establish his #1 position within the team following Bahrain.

Monaco just two weeks away. Even better, he's on top of the championship points going in.

weeflyonthewall
11th June 2007, 04:35
Does it in Montreal! Some of the previous posts make for an interesting read now he's done it and actually leading in the points.

leopard
11th June 2007, 04:38
is it good?

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 04:39
How sweet it is :up:

raikk
11th June 2007, 04:49
yea, that would be awsome if he did :D Would prefer it if he did it at Spa so i get to see it lol

same here mate.. or he can win both those races :D .. great drive by the stunning young Brit.. He's gotten a lot of attention on Canada's local news.. which you never hear of F1! I hope Lewis can bring more attention to F1 in Canada and in the ''non traditional'' F1 countries like Jamaica, South Africa,Scotland,Ireland ect ect. well done

aryan
11th June 2007, 08:00
same here mate.. or he can win both those races :D .. great drive by the stunning young Brit.. He's gotten a lot of attention on Canada's local news.. which you never hear of F1! I hope Lewis can bring more attention to F1 in Canada and in the ''non traditional'' F1 countries like Jamaica, South Africa,Scotland,Ireland ect ect. well done

Scotland? IMO Scotland is as tuned to the F1 as the rest of Britain. Specially considering a certain driver who has been depicting Scotland's flag on his helmet for more than decade now!

OK, Back to hamilton. Great win. He had the measure of everyone. What compusure! What maturity! To hold his nerve during 4 SCs. Great win for the rookie. He is a future WDC. Mark my words ;)

OTA
11th June 2007, 08:04
Congrats to Lewis, great win for him.

Cheers
David

Mark
11th June 2007, 08:10
Scotland? IMO Scotland is as tuned to the F1 as the rest of Britain. Specially considering a certain driver who has been depicting Scotland's flag on his helmet for more than decade now!

Not to mention the likes of Jackie Stewart and Jim Clark. As a proportion of population Scotland is probably one of, if not the, most sucessful nation in motorsport.

F1woman
11th June 2007, 15:48
Isn't it Great Britain, DC is far more talanted then JB I believe DC can still win a WDC. Can Lewis Hamilton, win YES :D :D :D :s mokin:

pits4me
11th June 2007, 16:33
SIX podiums in SIX races. No worse than the postion he started. With fellow Brit Button not even turning a lap this Hamilton win was very special.