PDA

View Full Version : A question....

XKRracer
28th June 2013, 20:45
Is it possible to get any sort of pass, or access to any F1 grid just before the race starts - like when the cars and drivers and various dignitaries and VIPs are there? Or is this purely the domain of VIPs and the powers that be? I would think security to be the main reason that such an inclusion on any ticket would not happen. I could be wrong and am prepared to be stand corrected. Anyone?

zako85
29th June 2013, 00:27
Is it possible to get any sort of pass, or access to any F1 grid just before the race starts - like when the cars and drivers and various dignitaries and VIPs are there? Or is this purely the domain of VIPs and the powers that be? I would think security to be the main reason that such an inclusion on any ticket would not happen. I could be wrong and am prepared to be stand corrected. Anyone?

From what I see on TV, the grid is already filled with mechanics, dozens of TV crews and VIPs. You probably need to fall into one of these categories.

XKRracer
29th June 2013, 15:16
From what I see on TV, the grid is already filled with mechanics, dozens of TV crews and VIPs. You probably need to fall into one of these categories.

Yeah much like I thought. I had someone telling me that their 'free pass' included the grid just before race on race day. I wouldn't think any pass would include that and if anyone was lucky enough they would need to be invited and very well connected. Just be so unlikely that any of the numerous pass combinations would include this - it would be chaos!

AndyL
29th June 2013, 15:23
I reckon the best way to get on the grid would probably be to get yourself well in with a major sponsor.

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 16:11
Yeah much like I thought. I had someone telling me that their 'free pass' included the grid just before race on race day. I wouldn't think any pass would include that and if anyone was lucky enough they would need to be invited and very well connected. Just be so unlikely that any of the numerous pass combinations would include this - it would be chaos!

In other racing series, you can buy paddock access tickets that usually contain a pitwalk ticket, too, but there is AFAIK no such thing in F1. DTM does have it, as does Indycar and smaller series as well.

steveaki13
29th June 2013, 20:52
F1 really doesnt rate fans enjoyment highly does it.

Although in saying that it has more fans than most series.

What happens in the Indycar pit walks. I mean their gates are big, is it just a first come first served? Or are they just expensive so only a few can afford it.

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 12:53
What happens in the Indycar pit walks. I mean their gates are big, is it just a first come first served? Or are they just expensive so only a few can afford it.

I was at the 2001 German 500 (renamed American Memorial) at the Eurospeedway. The pitwalk was something that I'll never forget my whole life. First of all, the number of people was relatively manageable, because the ticket price was hideously expensive and paddock tickets were strictly limited in numbers. Two premium grandstand tickets for dad and I with paddock access from Friday to Sunday and pitwalk on Saturday and Sunday came at 800 quid each. But you surely got value for the money. You could walk about in the paddock freely, walk up to any pit garage you liked. Paul Tracy's car was parked outside the backside of the teams garage and my dad asked one of the mechanics if he could sit in it. 'Sure' was the answer. Now try imagining that in F1 :rotflmao:
I was invited into Mo Nunn's garage on Saturday and played poker with some of Alex Zanardi's mechanics, sitting on a set of worn tyres from free practice. During the pit walk, all teams had put out long tables, like at a science fair and had put various parts and components on them as well as computers. You could ask them what you wanted and they explained everything you liked and they explained it in every detail. Some even had hired German translators for those, who didn't speak English.

How it is in today's Indycars, I don't know, but back in the early noughts CART was a vastly superior product in comparison to F1. That weekend back in 2001 would have made my life, if it wasn't the fact that I later on Sunday had to witness almost 5 litres of my favourite driver's blood running down the tarmac in Turn 3 :(