PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the front of cars

AndySpeed
25th June 2013, 20:21
Why do some teams insist on cutting ugly holes in the front of their cars? Not all of them do this - all you have to do is take a look at the Hondas and BMWs to see this. I know that it's related to the turbos, but it seems strange that some cars require so much more airflow than others.

Whilst I'm at it, why are some teams also insisting on using cheap and tacky looking 'sticker-grilles'? The Ford especially is one ugly beast, whilst Rob Austin's Audi has a hole so big in his 'sticker-grille' that it looks like his numberplate has fallen off. If you're going to run a fake grille, at least make it look good like the Chevrolets in WTCC.

Rollo
25th June 2013, 23:31
Perhaps the answer is to be found in the "Homologation Regulations / Manual" which is mentioned in the 2013 BTCC Regs but I can seem to find it.

It's briefly touched on in 5.2.2 and 5.2.17:
http://www.btcc.net/pdf/regulations_2013.pdf

I suspect that the underlying reasons are to do with airflow to the engine and brakes and possibly that most annoying of issues, "parity". I can not find evidence for this though.

I find it weird that Austin's Audi has some holes covered at the front of the car, then has those weird grill things cut into the bonnet. Something's not right in principle here, me thinks.

BDunnell
26th June 2013, 00:02
I suspect that the underlying reasons are to do with airflow to the engine and brakes and possibly that most annoying of issues, "parity". I can not find evidence for this though.

I doubt it's the latter. I would presume that the grille isn't covered in the list of elements of the car that may not be altered appearance-wise compared with the base model. Personally, the detailed appearance of the cars doesn't bother me, though the Audi certainly has got uglier and uglier since first it appeared. I'm just glad this is a season free from parity-related arguments thus far, and with a decidedly higher standard of driving than we've seen for many a year.

Iain
26th June 2013, 00:33
I find it weird that Austin's Audi has some holes covered at the front of the car, then has those weird grill things cut into the bonnet. Something's not right in principle here, me thinks.

The engine is mounted a lot further back this year, which would explain the unattractive cooling arrangements.

I guess it's cheaper for a team to have a completely fibreglass front bumper and grille, then just stick a vinyl on it to make it look like a proper grille. Not that it even remotely looks like the real thing.

christophulus
26th June 2013, 23:22
They mentioned briefly that Austin had switched over to the toca supplied engine rather than their own so maybe it's a temporary fix

Iain
27th June 2013, 00:30
It's not a quick fix, it's been like that all season since they repositioned the engine, which meant they had to alter the cooling arrangements. It just looks cheap and nasty and something of an afterthought.