PDA

View Full Version : 2013 British Grand Prix Thread

Pages : [1] 2

steveaki13
23rd June 2013, 11:01
Well I have been watching a real ( :D ) race in the Le Man 24 Hours for the last 21 hours, but I thought it about time to start thinking about the British GP as its only a week away.

Anyone going this year?

I am going to Friday's sessions but couldnt justify spending the money for a weekend ticket.

Anyway.

2013 British Grand Prix

28th-30th June

Silverstone.

52 Laps

Drivers Championship after 7 Rounds

Sebastian Vettel - 132 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Fernando Alonso - 92 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Kimi Raikkonen - 88 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Lewis Hamilton - 77 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Mark Webber - 69 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Nico Rosberg - 57 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Felipe Massa - 49 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Paul di Resta - 34 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Romain Grosjean - 26 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Jenson Button - 25 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Adrian Sutil - 17 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
JE Vergne - 13 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Sergio Perez - 12 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Daniel Ricciardo - 7 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Nico Hulkenberg - 5 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]

Constructors Championship after 7 Rounds

Red Bull - 201 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Ferrari - 145 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Mercedes - 134 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Lotus - 114 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Force India - 51 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Mclaren - 37 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Toro Rosso - 20 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]
Sauber - 5 pts[/*:m:y5wfgfqr]

*Great to see Force India reliving the 98, 99 Jordan days.

Weather is always key in Britain so the first initial weather forecast suggests... well not alot.

Keep an eye on it: BBC Weather - Silverstone (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637827)

Previous Winners since 1987
1987: Nigel Mansell
1988: Ayrton Senna
1989: Alain Prost
1990: Alain Prost
1991: Nigel Mansell
1992: Nigel Mansell
1993: Alain Prost
1994: Damon Hill
1995: Johnny Herbert
1996: Jacques Villeneuve
1997: Jacques Villeneuve
1998: Michael Schumacher
1999: David Coulthard
2000: David Coulthard
2001: Mika Hakkinen
2002: Michael Schumacher
2003: Rubens Barrichello
2004: Michael Schumacher
2005: Juan Pablo Montoya
2006: Fernando Alonso
2007: Kimi Raikkonen
2008: Lewis Hamilton
2009: Sebastian Vettel
2010: Mark Webber
2011: Fernando Alonso
2012: Mark Webber

Multiple Winners of British GP (All circuits)
Jim Clark & Alain Prost - 5 wins
Nigel Mansell - 4 wins
Jack Brabham, Niki Lauda & Michael Schumacher 3 wins
Ascari, Gonzalez, Moss, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Villeneuve, Coulthard, Alonso, Webber - 2 wins

*Interesting Senna only won once at Silverstone, but I seem to remember him running out of fuel a couple of times
* 3 of the last 4 wins have been Red Bull.

Multiple Constructor Winners
Ferrari 15 - wins
Mclaren 14 - wins
William - 10 wins
Lotus - 8 wins
Red Bull - 3 wins

*Dont think Mclaren will be matching Ferrari after this season.

So there we go. Be interesting to see how Mercedes tyre issues fare with the high speed corners. Red Bull must be favourites again.

christophulus
23rd June 2013, 23:27
I'll be there for the Saturday. Hoping for a slightly more interesting race this year, I seem to recall the ones in recent years haven't been up to much sadly

steveaki13
23rd June 2013, 23:41
I'll be there for the Saturday. Hoping for a slightly more interesting race this year, I seem to recall the ones in recent years haven't been up to much sadly

No I would agree.

I remember 1995 was a good race Herbert claiming that win, 98 was chaotic after the heavy Rain, 2000 was a farce off circuit but on circuit we have a 6 or 7 car train for the first half.

2002 was another chaotic wet race which had some action.

2003 for me is the best British GP I have watched. Trulli getting the lead in a Renault, Toyotas 1-2 after the priest ran up the track.
Barrichello surging through the field from 7th at one point to win.

Schumi v Alonso down the field and general action all day.

2008 was another great one, although as I was there it might cloud my judgement. Rain and action through the race, Hamilton looking like a legend and Barrichello 3rd in a Honda.

Since then though I have thought all the races were not of the best standard. I have to say I have never been happy with the new layout. Prefer the old Abbey and Bridge section.

kfzmeister
24th June 2013, 05:08
Be interesting to see how Mercedes tyre issues fare with the high speed corners. Red Bull must be favourites again.

I actually think this could be good for Ferrari and Lotus. back to high energy corners and hopefully warmer/ hotter weather.
Mercedes gonna be in trouble again and i hope Red Bull struggles a little here as well as the next three tracks.
At least let Alonso fight with Seb some. He needs to get back into things. Will the pressure cause Seb to slip up? One can only hope :D

christophulus
24th June 2013, 10:26
Since then though I have thought all the races were not of the best standard. I have to say I have never been happy with the new layout. Prefer the old Abbey and Bridge section.

The old layout including Bridge was better, although they are at least trying to bring the circuit into the 21st century. For all Bernie's whinging I think he at least has a point about Silverstone, it's not the most up to date track in the world, certainly in terms of facilities (especially when compared to the price paid for entry).

Back on topic though, I'd be surprised if it's anything other than another Red Bull win.

turves
24th June 2013, 15:09
Im going on Friday with my old man, and my 6 year old who has been let out of school for the day - his first F1 track experience (he went to the Red Bull Home Run a couple of years ago).

Really looking forward to it.

Tazio
24th June 2013, 15:47
I actually think this could be good for Ferrari and Lotus. back to high energy corners and hopefully warmer/ hotter weather.
Mercedes gonna be in trouble again and i hope Red Bull struggles a little here as well as the next three tracks.
At least let Alonso fight with Seb some. He needs to get back into things. Will the pressure cause Seb to slip up? One can only hope :D It should be a good course for Ferrari, and I expect both drivers to go well. Lotus needs a little warmer temps for it to play into their hands methinks. I don't see Redbull having too much trouble since they are bringing the hard and medium compounds, but one can hope :dork:
I think Mercedes will hold up fairly well considering the tire choice .......maybe. :uhoh:

wedge
24th June 2013, 16:13
Struggling to sell tickets. I wonder if last has something to do with it?

kfzmeister
24th June 2013, 17:53
Sure and the fact that neither of their homeboys are doing well....

truefan72
25th June 2013, 02:35
3 weeks have never felt this long

steveaki13
26th June 2013, 22:05
Just looked at the weather for Friday and it appears that my Friday ticket will be wasted largely.

Rain due, thus with limited tyres, I will be one of those "Its the fans I feel sorry for" fans sitting aroun watching nothing. Fantastic

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2013, 10:37
Just looked at the weather for Friday and it appears that my Friday ticket will be wasted largely.

Rain due, thus with limited tyres, I will be one of those "Its the fans I feel sorry for" fans sitting aroun watching nothing. Fantastic

It was very much like that last year. I don't think people will want to buy a weekend ticket and then be told to stay at home on Saturday to protect the car parks.

It was my first time at Silverstone last year and it was incredible. Even the camping experience was fun, and I met some great people at the pub in Silverstone village. Nothing more fun than getting drunk with 'like-minded' people.

Knock-on
27th June 2013, 16:26
P!ssing down at the moment. Just waiting for Kimi to do an interview at 6:00

Knock-on
27th June 2013, 18:26
Well, I would say Kimi is talking Bull. Red Bull. He's had 'small talk' with RB and it would be his last contract in F1 although as he said, he's said that before. Interview out on Saturday before Q on Sky.

henners88
28th June 2013, 08:29
Well the winner is likely to be Webber, Vettel or Alonso. All drivers who go well at the British GP. I can't see Mercedes having the race pace as Silverstone is a fast flowing circuit and based on the races so far, will not play to their strengths.

I can't see the weather being hot either. I've attended the British GP in the past and its been glorious sunshine in the high 20's, but seeing as the circuit is high up and effectively an airfield, its often bitterly cold. Not a fun place in the rain either unless you have grandstand seats or hospitality. I hear they are selling tickets on the gates too for the first time in 9 years! I think the fact the British drivers aren't in top cars, the weather predictions and last years events, and the TV rights being so diluted, its all taken its toll. People would much rather save their money and stay home watching it on the Beeb.

JasonPotato
28th June 2013, 11:30
I cant remember a British GP where all the sessions have been dry, every year we come supposedly in the "summer time" but yet we always get a wet session or race. Welcome to England :)

Doesn't look like we'll get rain for the race but it might make it more entertaining if we did.

steveaki13
28th June 2013, 12:00
I am sitting at woodcote and now the f1 session is finished its bright sunshine.

Typical

AndyL
28th June 2013, 12:35
So half the field did not even set a time in P1. "It's the fans I feel sorry for" indeed. I hope for Steve's sake it's better this afternoon!

steveaki13
28th June 2013, 13:11
Yer. It was poor this morning. Considering the lack of support events.

Its not rained since P1 but the clouds are getting darker again.

Most action is from helicopters

A FONDO
28th June 2013, 15:46
Why they changed the start/finish place again?

steveaki13
28th June 2013, 20:54
Back home now, wish I could have afforded a weekend ticket, but there you go.

The second session was alot better and I took plenty of photos and got deafened.

Traffic too and from was a nightmare, but hey what ya gonna do.

donKey jote
29th June 2013, 12:37
morning gurlz :D

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 12:54
:rotflmao: Lauda just had to fork over the dough live on TV to Dr. Marko after losing his bet.

Whyzars
29th June 2013, 13:08
:rotflmao: Lauda just had to fork over the dough live on TV to Dr. Marko after losing his bet.

Excuse my crappy memory - what bet?

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 13:17
Lauda made a bet with Marko that Merc would be acquitted by the IT - a bet that he of course lost.

Koz
29th June 2013, 13:18
Lotus Double DRS fail?

donKey jote
29th June 2013, 14:02
amazing Ham, crap Alo :(

henners88
29th June 2013, 14:04
Hamilton pole, I'm a very happy boy even if its only for Saturday success so far... Hopefully Mercedes have turned the corner? Well done Lewis though. :)

I'll have to watch the quali tonight as I'm listen via 5 live.

donKey jote
29th June 2013, 14:04
oh well, over to MotoGP :andrea:

jens
29th June 2013, 14:18
Well... Great lap by Lewis, fantastic stuff!

Let's see, what does the race bring us. Red Bull is perhaps a slight favourite for the win here. If the season is anything to go by, Mercedes should drop back at least a little bit tomorrow. Can Lotus and Ferrari come back from that far behind? And what about Force India? They have shown some good race pace and tyre management this year, maybe a dark horse in podium contention if Lot/Fer get stuck in traffic?

Toro Rosso is starting to come aerodynamically good as well. I don't know, what it is, but James Key has been a positive influence in any team he has been so far. Be it Force India in 09-10, Sauber 11-12 or STR now. Though they could face setbacks any time really, like next year with the change of engine manufacturer.

In terms of title contention it really is crunch time. Alonso and Räikkönen are in danger of letting Vettel slip away a long way ahead.

Corvettian
29th June 2013, 14:20
We've *almost* got the TV system up and running here, so maybe I'll be able to watch the race tomorrow!

The Black Knight
29th June 2013, 14:22
That lap by Hamilton is the sort of lap we used to be lucky enough to see Senna do. Incredible the way he hung onto it on the ragged edge throughout. I don't think Rosberg was ever beaten by that margin in qualifying before. Amazing!

kfzmeister
29th June 2013, 14:22
W-T-F Ferrari and Alonso? 10th??????
This is an absolute disaster. :arrows:

kfzmeister
29th June 2013, 14:37
A frustrated @alo_oficial (http://connect.jamesallenonf1.com/f1-on-twitter/?subject=f1&search=@alo_oficial) is annoyed that Pirelli keeps bringing the medium and hard, “and we know that only helps two teams…”

Why did they change from soft and hard in 2012 to medium and hard this year??

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 14:47
mindblowing lap from Hamilton. Looks like he finally gets the hang of the other break system.

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 14:53
A frustrated @alo_oficial (http://connect.jamesallenonf1.com/f1-on-twitter/?subject=f1&search=@alo_oficial) is annoyed that Pirelli keeps bringing the medium and hard, “and we know that only helps two teams…”

Why did they change from soft and hard in 2012 to medium and hard this year??

Because this years medium tyre is roughly equivalent in life expectency to last years soft one. All compounds are significantly softer than last year. Silverstone is hard on the tyres and I suppose they don't want to get as much flak again as they got after Barcelona.

The Black Knight
29th June 2013, 14:56
mindblowing lap from Hamilton. Looks like he finally gets the hang of the other break system.

I have a feeling it's more to do with this track not having the emphasis on breaking that other tracks have. He looked really comfortable in the car though so he has definitely made a step this weekend. What a car Merc have produced this year for one lap pace. Maybe Jenson was right when he said Lewis would shock us all with his pace when he has the car set up to his liking. I was certainly shocked by that lap time. Thought he might get a 1 .29.9 at most.

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 15:07
What a car Merc have produced this year for one lap pace.

This 'strength' is their weakness though. They heat up the tyres quickly, so they are optimal for a quick dash, but this comes with a heavy price tag - higher degradation. Their 3-day private tutoring lesson with Pirelli seems to have helped with that, but I still wouldn't rule out that they go backwards again tomorrow. A lot will depend on what the track temperature will be like tomorrow. It's expected to be higher than today, which would be bad news for merc.

The Black Knight
29th June 2013, 15:24
This 'strength' is their weakness though. They heat up the tyres quickly, so they are optimal for a quick dash, but this comes with a heavy price tag - higher degradation. Their 3-day private tutoring lesson with Pirelli seems to have helped with that, but I still wouldn't rule out that they go backwards again tomorrow. A lot will depend on what the track temperature will be like tomorrow. It's expected to be higher than today, which would be bad news for merc.

Yep, I think we'll learn a lot about where they are tomorrow. They have been struggling with tyres for a long time now and, honestly, it's about time they fixed it. Still, if I were a betting man I wouldn't be betting on Merc winning tomorrow. But they may surprise us all. I hope they have cured it as the championships about to 100% swing towards Sebastien. Whether he wins the WDC or not, it would be nice if it went down to the wire and he doesn't just run away with it like 2011.

CaptainRaiden
29th June 2013, 15:52
Jeepers, what a lap by Lewis! I was almost forced to applaud when he crossed the line. The best I thought he could do was a 1:29.8, not a 29.6!! As Vettel said, simply a phenomenal lap. Fingers crossed regarding the race tomorrow, but I think Red Bull should take it. I bet Lewis and Mercedes are praying for rain tomorrow. That Merc is quite good in the wet.

Whether he has gotten used to the brakes still remains to be seen. As it has been said already, this circuit is not very brake intensive. You can actually get from Copse to Vale by only downshifting through certain corners and using very little braking. Only at the Vale sequence of corners do you need to stamp on the brakes. Next races should give a clearer picture regarding the brakes.

Meanwhile Mclaren and Ferrari are struggling massively. Ferrari's sudden drop in form is puzzling. I thought long sweeping corners suited their car. Bad balance, you could see from the onboard camera, Alonso and Massa struggling massively to hook up one proper lap.

Knock-on
29th June 2013, 18:22
11th for Jens is not too bad with the car as it is and again PdR was very strong and showing true form again.

However, Lewis was just pure class out there again today and I hope they can sustain it in the race.

steveaki13
29th June 2013, 19:12
Wow.

What a Lap by Lewis amazing.

The pace that that Merc has in Quali is mind blowing. Imagine a Mercedes v Red Bull toe to toe battle for this season if Mercedes could have solved its Tyre issues.

Red Bull seem in a great position for the win assuming Mercedes tyre management hasnt improved much. I would love to see Webber get a win ahead of Seb. I think it would be nice.

Paul di Resta: what a great job 5th. Would love to seem him mixing it with the leaders and get a podium. Equally good by Ricciardo and Sutil.

Strange for Lotus and Ferrari. No pace, no balance and they risk handing Red Bull a 4th title on a plate.

Mclaren well thats no bad, but not great either, as for the rest much as expected.

Looking forward to the Race.

truefan72
29th June 2013, 20:12
so it turns out perez cut his tire somehwere and not a failure by pirelli. So much for the fear mongering from asky sport. i funny enough, they never mentioned the issue during quaiy after it dominated their coverage in FP3

truefan72
29th June 2013, 20:16
severe grid drop for DiResta car failed minimum weight by 1.5kilos

sent to the back of the grid

wow, he should not have gone for his #2 in th bathroom before qualiy

christophulus
29th June 2013, 20:21
Was there today, really enjoyed it and got a little sunburned too!

Awesome lap by Lewis, big cheer from the grandstands when he took pole (and an even bigger one when Vettel failed to beat him!). I've no doubt that the Red Bulls will win the race though.

Shame for DiResta too - although as usual it may not be quite as it seems as it was his body weight that was low, and I doubt you lose 1.5kg in weight just during qualifying.

christophulus
29th June 2013, 20:25
News just in - Force India won't be appealing the penalty:

Force India has ruled out an appeal over Paul di Resta's exclusion, so he will start from the back of the grid tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/statuses/351058050112696320

steveaki13
29th June 2013, 20:33
Damn. Thats unfortunate.

But if you have to big a poo. Then what can you do. :p :

Duncan
29th June 2013, 21:16
Uh oh. Paul Di Resta must be fuming... still, it will make for an interesting race as I expect he will be charging through the field.

Corvettian
29th June 2013, 21:21
Damn. Thats unfortunate.

If he'd kept it in a bag and taken it with him in the car, would that have been classified as illegal ballast...?

Knock-on
29th June 2013, 22:32
Three times now FI have ruined Paul's Qualifying session. He must be getting sick of this :(

dj_bytedisaster
29th June 2013, 23:07
I don't think Paul being 1.5kg lighter than expected is FI's fault. Mind you, it was the driver, who was lighter than expected, not the car. They weigh car+driver and Paul was missing a few grams.

Knock-on
29th June 2013, 23:14
Sorry DJ, it is 100% the teams fault. They are responsible for sending a package out there that complies with the regs. Every team uses scales to set up the car all the time and to send a car out that's underweight, without the driver having lost a major limb half way around, is their fault.

truefan72
30th June 2013, 02:03
Sorry DJ, it is 100% the teams fault. They are responsible for sending a package out there that complies with the regs. Every team uses scales to set up the car all the time and to send a car out that's underweight, without the driver having lost a major limb half way around, is their fault.

they are both at fault
the team for not makisng sure the driver is of the correct weight
and the driver not making sure he weighs himself to nkow if he has gained or lost a few pounds as that is critical to the car.
It is probably part of his job to stay within a window and/or inform the team fo changes
andits the teams job to make sure the entire package meets regulation

TheFamousEccles
30th June 2013, 02:17
Awesome lap by LH! You could see on his face the sheer stoke of it all - it must be a real blast to thrash an F1 around a track like Silverstone at the ragged edge.

kfzmeister
30th June 2013, 04:16
PdR

Isn't that used for Pedro?

kfzmeister
30th June 2013, 04:18

I agree. Must have been a miscalculation based upon fuel load.

henners88
30th June 2013, 07:45
Isn't that used for Pedro?

No he's PdlR. He has an extra 'la' in his name.

RS
30th June 2013, 10:58

1.5KG would be one impressive bowel movement I think. There's more to this story than that surely.

zako85
30th June 2013, 12:23
The Force India crew has already made way too many mistakes this year.

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 12:47
So not long to go now.

I really hope mercedes can make a fight of this.

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 12:48
morning gurlz :wave: :andrea:

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 12:53
Hi Donkey.

.....and the rest of you

Koz
30th June 2013, 12:57
Hai everybody!

Robinho
30th June 2013, 13:00
oh hai!

veeten
30th June 2013, 13:00
No better way to spend the morning than with coffee, mini donuts, racing,... and you lunatics. :p

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 13:03
earwiggoooooo :D

Koz
Kimi!!

veeten
and here we....GOOOOOOO!!!

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 13:04
Massa does an Alonso :eek: :p

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:05
My guess on Webber being in the top 10 in lap 1.

veeten
30th June 2013, 13:05
geeez 'lonso, what happened? :p

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:06
Alonso on the move

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:09
Mark started OK, then no acceleration???

Koz
30th June 2013, 13:15
Oh no!

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 13:16
Webbo - that man can't get a break can he? Looks like he couldn't get into 2nd gear and to add insult to injury he's getting nerfed off by RoGro in turn 1.

HAM doing a Vettel and runs away from the start.

donKey jote
:eek: stoopid pirelli :devil:

steveaki13
Hamilton?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

WTF.

Thats just not fair. Vettel a race win on a plate.

veeten
Pop goes the weasel!...

Koz
Pirelli tyre failure!

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 13:17
oh, dear...

veeten
30th June 2013, 13:18
THAT never happened with Mishies...

Koz
30th June 2013, 13:18
One more tyre failure!

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 13:19
Boom goes Massa... Pirelli will get blasted for this - absolute nightmare...

Robinho

only cos they refused to play an Indy!

Koz
How long till it happens to Vettel? :D

Brown, Jon Brow
This is a farce....

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:21
Open that Pirelli thread.

What is going on. The excess heat at Silverstone. :dozey:

Robinho
30th June 2013, 13:22
not been bothered by Pirelli so far this year, not great but not as bad as some have thought, BUT, if these punctures/delaminations are the fault of the tye (which they surely must be) then this really is not good enough, having to manage the tyres is one thing, having the tyres explode and directly affect the outcome of the race is a massive fail

Daniel
30th June 2013, 13:23
Pirelli make crap road tyres and crap competition tyres :)

Koz
30th June 2013, 13:26
Kimi is faster than you!

Koz
30th June 2013, 13:27
One more failure!

At what point is the race called off on safety grounds?

donKey jote
Black flag the race and ban Pirelli for life !!!

Robinho
this is getting dangerous

Ranger
Vergne tyre failure.

This is a farce indeed.

Brown, Jon Brow
Only a matter of time before someone gets injured here. :down:

donKey jote
... unless it's the stoopid kerb, in which case: ban Silverstone for life :p

Daniel
30th June 2013, 13:28
Black flag the race and ban Pirelli for life !!!

Agreed. I said this years ago and so did Ioan, but everyone was too happy because the **** tyres made for more overtaking.

Alfa Fan
There is a delightful irony in a Mercedes suffering a failure.

Whyzars
Indianapolis is coming to mind...

Robinho
kimi getting a carbon fibre bath

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:29
having the tyres explode and directly affect the outcome of the race is a massive fail

No Its for spicing up the show.

See its dangerous but hey Bernie gets his "Show".

tfp
Right Pirelli f£&@ off out of F1

Robinho
are they just going to finish the race under the safety car?

ShiftingGears
30th June 2013, 13:30
Ridiculous stuff.

donKey jote
at last a kerb that does it's job :devil: :vader:

Whyzars
Is it all compounds that are failing?

jens
30th June 2013, 13:31
Good lord, what on earth is this. Is this how Indianapolis 2005 would have looked like had Michelin raced? Will they call this race off due to unsafe tyres?

Many questions. One of the strangest races I have ever seen.

Robinho
and why is this happening here - not the hottest track surface, not the only track with fast corners, not the 1st race of the season, not the softest race tyres, why the **** have they started grenading here, rather than a handful of delaminations in practice that we've had elsewhere? what is creating this perfect storm

truefan72
this is a fiasco of the highest order!

veeten
and another goes down. Pirelli is getting a consistent 'pop! in the snoot' with the left rear tyres disintegrating like this. And you have even more races coming up with similar temps as today or higher.

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:32
Seriously, Drivers are in danger and marshalls in danger.

This race needs to be called off.

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 13:33
it's NOT degradation. It's physical damage from the back end of the kerbs.

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:33
Red Bull saying Cuts on tyres on left rear. Is this all because of one kerb they all run over.

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 13:34
Seriously, Drivers are in danger and marshalls in danger.

This race needs to be called off.

or they could stay on track now it's clear what the consequences can be...

dj_bytedisaster
Vettels first set had cuts, too. How feeble have these tyres got to be to get EFFING CUTS from a blunt piece of concrete??

ShiftingGears
and why is this happening here - not the hottest track surface, not the only track with fast corners, not the 1st race of the season, not the softest race tyres, why the **** have they started grenading here, rather than a handful of delaminations in practice that we've had elsewhere? what is creating this perfect storm

I am guessing that the Silverstone kerbs are particularly abrasive. Turns 1-4 where there were tyre issues noted by the commentators and teams are part of the new section of the track.

Robinho
30th June 2013, 13:35
so is it the circuit or the tyres, they seem to be reporting cuts and damage from the kerbs, are the driers exceeding the track limits too much or are the tyres not fit for purpose?

donKey jote
shoddy track is what it is :devil: :p :andrea:

Brown, Jon Brow
Did this happen in the GP2/GP3 races? Don't they have the same tyres?

Daniel
30th June 2013, 13:36

Because Pirelli are incompetent bellends. Pretty much the same thing happened in New Zealand during the WRC one year, it was a little warmer than expected and the tyres started delaminating, this is why I have complained about Pirelli being chosen as F1 supplier, they are not a company that can be trusted to build tyres for a racing series and have them hold together, Nangkang would have done a better job I'm sure.

truefan72
i think some of the blame is pirelli' but most of it iare the teams. Pirelli wanted to switch back to the old carbon style but lotus and sTR refused to agree because they thought they could get an advantage ,and this si the result
enough blame to go around

1. pirelli
2. the temas
3. the cutting kerbs in silverstone

as I've said many times, tires sohuld never b a factor in racing, and ssadly when you tinker aorund so much and make all these nonsensical changes at the request of the FIA and teams, this is what you get

I am completely gutted for hamilton
devastated

donKey jote
so is it the circuit or the tyres, they seem to be reporting cuts and damage from the kerbs, are the driers exceeding the track limits too much or are the tyres not fit for purpose?

bit of both I guess... what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Koz

That.

I hope it's not blamed on drivers and kerbs, something has to be done here.

Daniel
Good lord, what on earth is this. Is this how Indianapolis 2005 would have looked like had Michelin raced? Will they call this race off due to unsafe tyres?

Many questions. One of the strangest races I have ever seen.

Michelin had the good grace to come out and admit their tyres were unsafe and didn't race on them, Pirelli are just a bunch of incompetent morons.

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 13:37
Nangkang would have done a better job I'm sure.

I doubt it somehow :p

truefan72
shoddy track is what it is :devil: :p :andrea:

agreed donKey
agreed!!!!!

Daniel
it's NOT degradation. It's physical damage from the back end of the kerbs.

But the tyres should be able to take it. Bet Bridgestone and Michelin wouldn't be failing.....

veeten
30th June 2013, 13:38
only cos they refused to play an Indy! The difference there is that Michelin gave enough of a damn not to put their customers in danger by admitting that they didn't have enough information about the resurfaced track and how it would affect their tyres. Unlike Bridgestone, through their subsidiary, Firestone, whom had 'first hand' knowledge through the preceding Indy 500 two months prior.

truefan72
i think the issues might be the kerbs

Robinho
or are the teams running the tyres at too lower a pressure to handle running over the kerbs at full load. its not clear cut that this is enturely the tyres, although they are what is actually failing, if the kerbs are doing something they shouldn't be, then how do you design tyres to cater for that, after all they didn't start exploding in Bahrain, or Malaysia, or Spain etc.

Koz
30th June 2013, 13:39
Why hasn't the race been stopped yet?

Are we going to finish under safety car?

tfp
I'd never buy Pirelli tyres for my car if that's what happens to them!!

Alfa Fan
Have they decided to run the rest of the race behind the safety car?

truefan72
stupid lucky vettel :(

so when is the SCD coming in?

steveaki13
30th June 2013, 13:42
Have Silverstone put in new kerbs then?

I mean Silverstone has hosted a few Grand Prix over the years and no problems. Maybe the tyres are just too soft for these tracks.

Brown, Jon Brow
Formula One 2013 - random accidents ahead!

donKey jote

I'd never get a F1 car if they can't handle their tyres !!

steveaki13
SC in.

That is a questionable decision. Is it safe.

truefan72
30th June 2013, 13:43
rosberg asleep at the restart

Robinho
30th June 2013, 13:43
have all the punctures been on the same compound?

Robinho
30th June 2013, 13:45
Alonso not exacly leaving the kerbs alone

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 13:45
have all the punctures been on the same compound?

apparently not

christophulus
30th June 2013, 13:48
Devil's advocate time: didn't Pirelli offer to change their tyres and the teams voted against it?

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 13:50
ouch. Three Germans up ahead in her Majesty's Empire - that's gotta go down well with the crowd :S

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 13:51
SC in.

That is a questionable decision. Is it safe.

It's running on Pirellis. It couldn't stay out longer as the tyres were shot :rotflmao:

Brown, Jon Brow
30th June 2013, 13:52
ouch. Three Germans up ahead in her Majesty's Empire - that's gotta go down well with the crowd :S

We love Germany these days! :p

Daniel
30th June 2013, 13:54
Devil's advocate time: didn't Pirelli offer to change their tyres and the teams voted against it?

Translation: Didn't Pirelli originally make **** tyres and then offer to try and fix them? Neither Bridgestone nor Michelin would have had issues here, you choose second rate companies to supply your tyres and you are always going to have issues like this.

Daniel
30th June 2013, 13:56
i think some of the blame is pirelli' but most of it iare the teams. Pirelli wanted to switch back to the old carbon style but lotus and sTR refused to agree because they thought they could get an advantage ,and this si the result
enough blame to go around

as I've said many times, tires sohuld never b a factor in racing, and ssadly when you tinker aorund so much and make all these nonsensical changes at the request of the FIA and teams, this is what you get

Tyres should ALWAYS be a factor in racing, tyres are part of the racing!

How can the blame be down to the teams? They didn't make the tyres and AFAIK are running them within the parameters that Pirelli say they can. If Pirelli can't design a tyre that can work within the parameters that they give then they should go and make tyres for tractor racing or something that's more matched to their skill level.

Alfa Fan
30th June 2013, 13:56
nor Michelin would have had issues here

Indy 2005 anyone?

Daniel
30th June 2013, 13:58
Indy 2005 anyone?

The reasons for that are well documented and not really Michelin's fault. If the track was to blame then the same issue would have presented itself in the support races.

veeten
30th June 2013, 13:58
have all the punctures been on the same compound? Looks like... The 'White letter' tyres were the ones that were having the troubles, as witness the ones that came off Vettel's car. Signs that the shoulder was cracking and the main tread was giving way to the undercarcas, not good. Reasons as to why when it happened to the third driver, all the front teams came in and switched to the 'Red Letter' tyres.

AndyL
30th June 2013, 13:59
LOL at Ted suggesting the 100-metre board might have "moved across on" Gutierrez :D

Alfa Fan
30th June 2013, 14:00
The reasons for that are well documented and not really Michelin's fault. If the track was to blame then the same issue would have presented itself in the support races.

Yet the Bridgestone cars had no issues at all? It's too simplistic to say Pirelli are completely to blame here.

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:02
Yet the Bridgestone cars had no issues at all? It's too simplistic to say Pirelli are completely to blame here.

The difference there is that Michelin gave enough of a damn not to put their customers in danger by admitting that they didn't have enough information about the resurfaced track and how it would affect their tyres. Unlike Bridgestone, through their subsidiary, Firestone, whom had 'first hand' knowledge through the preceding Indy 500 two months prior.

Everyone who knows anything about F1 knows why Bridgestone didn't have issues and Michelin did....... If you don't know the facts then try and sit back and learn before making statements which betray your lack of knowledge.

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:07
ok, so what has changed now? the cars are the same, the track is still hot, they are still running over the kerbs, but we've gone as further than we did from the start to when we had the rash of punctures, and nothing is happening - have thay pushed up the pressures? There was a shot over Newey's shoulder of a picture of a tyre with "+ 2psi" written on, were they pushing their luck with the pressures again?

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:09

why should they have - do the GP2 and GP3 cars run the same pressures and put the same loads through the tyres as the F1 cars?

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 14:12
Webber showing everybody how Red Bull is the best car by a mile :andrea: :p

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:15
why should they have - do the GP2 and GP3 cars run the same pressures and put the same loads through the tyres as the F1 cars?

My point is that if the track was at fault (ie a sharp kerb) then all the tyres would be getting cut.

Ranger
Vettel out

Brown, Jon Brow
Oh Vettel!!

Robinho
so, all the teams have pushed the pressures up by 2 psi to protect against kerb damage. It would appear that Pirelli have got their maths a bit wrong and told the teams the wrong parameters and the teams, as they tend to, have pushed it to the edge. now we have upped the pressures the tyres appear to be absolutely fine. had Pirelli advised the lower pressure paramterer was 2 psi higher at the start we would not have had any of this mess. Overall pirelli's fault i'd say, but an easy fix

Koz
30th June 2013, 14:16
Finarry! Problems for Vettel!

The championship remains alive!

truefan72
wow vettel out
sad really

but I'll take it

veeten
Lost the gearbox. Wow...

Brown, Jon Brow
30th June 2013, 14:18
I think Kimi should have pitted

AndyL
so, all the teams have pushed the pressures up by 2 psi to protect against kerb damage. It would appear that Pirelli have got their maths a bit wrong and told the teams the wrong parameters and the teams, as they tend to, have pushed it to the edge. now we have upped the pressures the tyres appear to be absolutely fine. had Pirelli advised the lower pressure paramterer was 2 psi higher at the start we would not have had any of this mess. Overall pirelli's fault i'd say, but an easy fix

But the teams always ignore Pirelli's advice and run the tyres at whatever pressure they think best, even if it's below the recommended minumum.

Daniel

So, pretty much nothing to do with testing and everything to do with designing a decent tyre and knowing how to run it?

donKey jote
stoopid Alonso pit too soon :mad:

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:19
My point is that if the track was at fault (ie a sharp kerb) then all the tyres would be getting cut.

but they are not getting cut anymore are they - and all they have done is changed the pressures a little. a little more pressure and the tyres appear to manage the loads over the kerbs. GP2/3 cars don't put as much force through the tyres, so perhaps the pressure issue was less marginal. Its clearly a tyre fault, but in the context of this circuit and tyre pressure combination. remove one of the factors and the failures have ceased. as in my last post, it seems to be as simple as Pirelli providing the wrong pressure parameters to the teams. a **** up, yes, but not a lynchable offence IMO

veeten
for all those that were rocking in place, rubbing their beads, or making deals with... you know who ( :devil: :p )... you're wish is granted. ;)

steveaki13
Great sports in the British Crowd chearing when Seb retires. A bit sad really, but it certainly helps the championship.

truefan72
30th June 2013, 14:20
what the heck?
can they get the race back going?

AndyL
Finarry! Problems for Vettel!

The championship remains alive!

The crowd loved that! And before anyone starts suggesting nationalistic motives, let's not forget it was another German taking the lead.

Robinho
But the teams always ignore Pirelli's advice and run the tyres at whatever pressure they think best, even if it's below the recommended minumum.

the Pirelli guy said the teams were running within the parameters they provided, when they upped by 2 PSI (on strong advice) it seemed to solve it, so far (time for them to **** up again before the end!)

truefan72
30th June 2013, 14:21
wasted lap!
very clumsy by the marshalls

get the bloody car off the track so we can get back to racing

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 14:21
Alonso on fresh tyres. Let the fireworks commence...

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:22
So, pretty much nothing to do with testing and everything to do with designing a decent tyre and knowing how to run it?

agreed about the testing, its all about knowing what window your tyres work safely in and tailoring the instructions to the teams accordingly. they definatly got that advice wrong today

Ranger
Well... what an unbelievable race!

Daniel
wasted lap!
very clumsy by the marshalls

get the bloody car off the track so we can get back to racing

Who gives a crap about one lost lap? I'd MUCH rather see all the marshals get back safe and sound.....

AndyL
the Pirelli guy said the teams were running within the parameters they provided, when they upped by 2 PSI (on strong advice) it seemed to solve it, so far (time for them to **** up again before the end!)

Historically that has not been the case, teams have generally not paid too much attention to the minimum pressures specified by tyre manufacturers.

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 14:23
The crowd loved that! And before anyone starts suggesting nationalistic motives, let's not forget it was another German taking the lead.

Well, F1 and football fans aren't really known for class. The crowd at Hockenheim also cheered when Hill binned it back in the day. And that's even nothing in comparison to what happens at Monza when a non-Ferrari retires to hand a ferrari the lead. You shouldn't take such things too seriously.

longisland
Seb didn't put a foot wrong today.

donKey jote
Alonso on fresh tyres. Let the fireworks commence...

so is Rosberg.

unlucky Alonso :mad:

Robinho
its doing wonders for my fantasy team, come on rosberg and Mercedes

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:24
just realised, webber (14th after the 1st lap) could still win this thing!

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:25
agreed about the testing, its all about knowing what window your tyres work safely in and tailoring the instructions to the teams accordingly. they definatly got that advice wrong today

and this is because Pirelli are both a second rate manufacturer in terms of road and competition tyres. If the FIA had done the sensible thing and gone with Michelin who have a long and illustrious career of making fast and safe tyres (Indy is an exception, but everyone aside from Alfa Fan knows why) rather than a manufacturer whose tyres couldn't cope with a small change in temperature in the WRC. Pirelli should not be making the tyres for a top flight racing series, when they were the single supplier in the WRC they made crap tyres as well and everyone was overjoyed when Michelin were back as BF Goodrich. Useless company.

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:26
and hamilton still on for decent points

Ranger
30th June 2013, 14:26
"It's gonna happen"

Come on Webber!

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:27
i take it all back, give them decent pressures are the tyres are still fragile, not good enough

Koz
And again!

Daniel
What a bunch of useless pricks. BAN PIRELLI

ShiftingGears
These safety car rules are stupid. There's always two or three laps wasted when there's no obstacle on track where the safety car doesn't pull in. They either need to fix these SC rules or make safety car laps not count towards the total laps completed.

And another Pirelli failure. Webber on a charge.

Alfa Fan
30th June 2013, 14:28
A bit dangerous this isn't it? Tyre de-lamination when it's unpredictable and a freak occurrence is one thing, but with it happening as part of the spectacle, it's a bit risky if one of them heads into the crowd? I guess it's entertaining though.

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:30
go Mark, great finsih to the race, regardless of the tyre fiasco, its a thrilling last couple of laps

veeten
30th June 2013, 14:30
i take it all back, give them decent pressures are the tyres are still fragile, not good enough :rolleyes:

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:31
scary for Alonso, face full of exploded tyre

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:32
Go Webber!

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 14:32
P3 :D

AndyL
30th June 2013, 14:34
Looks like a mistake not to have taken fresh tyres during that last safety car. Everyone who didn't has gone into reverse, apart from Hamilton.

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 14:36
Thank you Silverstone, Thank you Pirelli, Thank you Vettel :andrea:

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:36
Good work from the teams and drivers, shameful crap from Pirelli.

truefan72
30th June 2013, 14:37
really ridiculus result
if not of the tire problem hamilton would have run away with the victory
not happy today at all
not happy at all
:(

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 14:38
Brilliant late charges from Alonso and Webber. Alonso was a spectacular in those last lap :)

donKey jote
30th June 2013, 14:39
a great recovery from Webber :up:

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:40
really ridiculus result
not happy today at all
not happy at all

You can't argue with results though :rotflmao:

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:41
rosberg, merc and a point for Hulk, my fantasy team is looking good. that aside, a bit ****ty by Pirelli, I hope they are allowed to make their proposed safety changes to kevlar reinforcement, and hope that solves the fragility. in terms of pushing the tyres the rcae was similar to Canada, the teams didn't seemt o be too limited for pace by tyre degradation, but these things don't need to be exploding all over the place

odykas
30th June 2013, 14:41
http://www.glittergirl.co.uk/banana/05.gif D http://www.glittergirl.co.uk/banana/05.gif N http://www.glittergirl.co.uk/banana/05.gifF http://www.glittergirl.co.uk/banana/05.gif

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 14:42
really ridiculus result
not happy today at all
not happy at all

Why that? Vettel didn't win, Alonso and Kimi made up a lot of points in the championship and Lewis put in a spectacular comeback from 18th back to fourth. What's there to be unhappy about?

donKey jote
Great to see Webbo and Alo on the podium :D

truefan72
at least hamilton moves up to 3rd in the championship and it looks like the mercedes sorted out the tire degredation issues
this should have been a hamilton win, he was pulling away from vettel, while rosberg could not even come close to vettel.
IMO hamilton still has the measure of rosberg and nico simply got lucky
even webber was closing in on him
not happy today at all not happy

I think the not piting blunder which is yet another strategic failure by lotus, has pretty mcuh cemented his move to rBR. expect an announcement by next week
not happy today

ShiftingGears
30th June 2013, 14:43
Wasn't very happy with the final SC being out for two laps longer than it needed to be. Cost Webber the win. Having said that, he was extremely fortunate with the retirements and safety cars to recover a near-win from that shocking start. Still, a great drive after the first lap.

The result was also good for the championship.

Daniel
rosberg, merc and a point for Hulk, my fantasy team is looking good. that aside, a bit ****ty by Pirelli, I hope they are allowed to make their proposed safety changes to kevlar reinforcement, and hope that solves the fragility. in terms of pushing the tyres the rcae was similar to Canada, the teams didn't seemt o be too limited for pace by tyre degradation, but these things don't need to be exploding all over the place

No company that makes tyres which explode (Indy excepted as the track was diamond cut....) should ever be allowed to make tyres for a top flight series ever again. Michelin got treated shamefully by the FIA after Indy and got bundled out of F1 and the WRC, I hope the same happens to Pirelli because they deserve to be treated like that.

truefan72
webber having a go at grosjean when the incident was clearly his fault
not cool

truefan72
30th June 2013, 14:44
Why that? Vettel didn't win, Alonso and Kimi made up a lot of points in the championship and Lewis put in a spectacular comeback from 18th back to fourth. What's there to be unhappy about?

hamilton did not win
with the tire issue costing him the victory and lucky man rosberg gets the win

Robinho
great last few laps

tfp
Isn't kimi a record breaker now?

longisland
30th June 2013, 14:45
DODR to Webber and Lewis. Donkey goes to Pirelli

truefan72
30th June 2013, 14:46
Wasn't very happy with the final SC being out for two laps longer than it needed to be. Cost Webber the win. Having said that, he was extremely fortunate with the retirements and safety cars to recover a near-win from that shocking start.

yup :up:
in the last 10 laps the backmarkers should simply fall back to the end of the que
almost like the lucky fdog system in NASCAR

veeten
30th June 2013, 14:49
Well, looks like that 'test session' with Mercedes wasn't such a bad idea after all, hmmmmm ?... Could've sussed this issue with the 'White letter' tyres a long time ago, but no... :s

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:50
No company that makes tyres which explode (Indy excepted as the track was diamond cut....) should ever be allowed to make tyres for a top flight series ever again. Michelin got treated shamefully by the FIA after Indy and got bundled out of F1 and the WRC, I hope the same happens to Pirelli because they deserve to be treated like that.

i'll reserve calling in the hangman for now, there is clearly some correlation between this cicuit and the pressures advised. this has not been happening everywhere and you'd hope they can solve going forwards. I don't have quite the same vendetta/animosity towards Pirelli - they have a problem right now and deserve to be able to correct that, as long as they have not been deliberatly negligent. Not saying they should be let off th hook, as there is clearly a massive safety issue, but if they can solve it then I have no problem with them carrying on - we don't call for teams to be banned for failing to get a wheelnut on after a pitstop and then losing a wheel on track do we, or kicking them out for brake failres or rear wings breaking.

Ranger
30th June 2013, 14:51
DODR to Webber and Lewis. Donkey goes to Pirelli

I'd say Lewis.

Webber was great in those last laps, but the race would probably have been his had he not had that terrible start.

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 14:52
hamilton did not win
with the tire issue costing him the victory and lucky man rosberg gets the win

Lewis was trying to do what Vettel did at Canada. Run away to get out of the DRS zone. He would have had to reduce speed later on or the tyres would have burned off. Of course Nico was lucky that his tyre didn't explode, but other than that he drove intelligently. If if wasn't for the Vettel-caused SC he wouldn't have won it either as his tyres were completely gone. Both Lewis and Nico could only win this with a lucky break. Mark pretty much proved that this was RB's race to lose, which they thankfully did or we'd be seeing really ugly fireworks between Gary and vhatever by now.

Robinho
30th June 2013, 14:54
Webber "I'd like to win the next race, I don't know which counrty its in, but I'd like to win that one"
Driver of the day for that comment alone for me!

Daniel
30th June 2013, 14:56
i'll reserve calling in the hangman for now, there is clearly some correlation between this cicuit and the pressures advised. this has not been happening everywhere and you'd hope they can solve going forwards. I don't have quite the same vendetta/animosity towards Pirelli - they have a problem right now and deserve to be able to correct that, as long as they have not been deliberatly negligent. Not saying they should be let off th hook, as there is clearly a massive safety issue, but if they can solve it then I have no problem with them carrying on - we don't call for teams to be banned for failing to get a wheelnut on after a pitstop and then losing a wheel on track do we, or kicking them out for brake failres or rear wings breaking.

A wheelnut is the mistake of a moment though, it could and does happen to more or less all the teams. If brembo were having their pads fail on various cars throughout a particular race then questions would be asked also.

Robinho
30th June 2013, 15:03
yet the teams voted down a change to the construction to prevent delaminations did they not. No doubt that they should not have been happening in the 1st place, but the teams are at least partly culpable for todays events - and i'm sure the teams will be shouting for changes now.

Don't get me wrong, these failures are unacceptable, but I don't think they should be drummed out of the sport.

truefan72
30th June 2013, 15:04
yet the teams voted down a change to the construction to prevent delaminations did they not. No doubt that they should not have been happening in the 1st place, but the teams are at least partly culpable for todays events - and i'm sure the teams will be shouting for changes now.

Don't get me wrong, these failures are unacceptable, but I don't think they should be drummed out of the sport.

enough blame to go around methinks

truefan72
30th June 2013, 15:15
Lewis was trying to do what Vettel did at Canada. Run away to get out of the DRS zone. He would have had to reduce speed later on or the tyres would have burned off. Of course Nico was lucky that his tyre didn't explode, but other than that he drove intelligently. If if wasn't for the Vettel-caused SC he wouldn't have won it either as his tyres were completely gone. Both Lewis and Nico could only win this with a lucky break. Mark pretty much proved that this was RB's race to lose, which they thankfully did or we'd be seeing really ugly fireworks between Gary and vhatever by now.

all i know is that hamilton was pulling away form vettel and towards the end of the first stint rosberg was closing down the gap to vettel, so nothing suggest to me anything other than hamilton increasing his advantage over vettel and the rest of the field. Don't base your conclusions of nico's drive or webber's drive because Hamilton is not only the faster driver, but has the ability to keep the rbr's in check and outpace them, especially evident in this race. The real shame is that we will never know. I wouldn't call rsoberg's drive intelligent, unless you consider not being able to attack vettel and settle for p2/p3 a sign of intelligence.

IMO the mercedes is now pretty much on the same level as RBR, the difference are the drivers. Both rosberg and Webber are step below their teammates and this race in particular highlighted that case with both #1's being compromised the #2's finishing in the expected order.

I will admit though that there is a bit of red mist and bitterness in my comments. lol
I just wanted hamilton to win and I think the he suffered extreme bad luck. :(
Meanwhile rosberg by being slower, gets two grid spots and the win gifted to him
It will take me a few days to get over this. it was like 2012 all over again
:rolleyes:

Daniel
30th June 2013, 15:18
Truefan, Lewis didn't win.... Get over it. You can't argue with results as you say......

N4D13
30th June 2013, 15:19
IMO the mercedes is now pretty much on the same level as RBR, the difference are the drivers. Both rosberg and Webber are step below their teammates and this race in particular highlighted that case with both #1's being compromised the #2's finishing in the expected order.
No question about Webber, but... Rosberg? Seriously? :confused:

I'm picking Lewis for my driver of the race, by the way. Honourable mentions for Webber and Massa.

Whyzars
30th June 2013, 15:24
I'd say Lewis.

Webber was great in those last laps, but the race would probably have been his had he not had that terrible start.

I'd say Lewis as well. Hamilton was in another league today and his blowout recovery was masterful. Vettel and Rosberg get worthy mentions as well.

To be honest, any of the drivers that held their cars together when those PiecesOfCrapRubberThings exploded under them deserve to be drivers of the race. It is only good graces that we didn't have a helicopter flying a driver to a hospital.

This race was decided by tyres and its wrong.

Its time to let teams choose their tyres.

Bobby_Hamlin
30th June 2013, 15:27
Hamilton did the race on 2 stops and was quick at the end with a car that had been impinged by the flailing rubber, nothing that suggests to me he was simply using up his tires early on to create an artificial gap.

Good race though even if it had a lot to do with multiple safety cars.

RedBullian1
30th June 2013, 16:04
wow the points changes so quickly after races like that

N4D13
30th June 2013, 16:15
wow the points changes so quickly after races like that
While this was a really strange* race, that did not seem to have much of an effect in the result. Who could complain that it's a weird result to have Rosberg, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton and Räikkönen on top? The only weird thing was not having Vettel up there and that didn't have to do with the tyres nor the strategy - just a mechanical failure that could have happened anywhere else.

* Feel free to use whatever adjective you prefer. :)

tjoepie
30th June 2013, 16:54
For better or worse (well for worst mostly) that was quite an explosive race! My driver won but again it's more by default than outdriving... Anyone know what happened to Grosjean on the last lap?

RedBullian1
30th June 2013, 19:13
While this was a really strange* race, that did not seem to have much of an effect in the result. Who could complain that it's a weird result to have Rosberg, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton and Räikkönen on top? The only weird thing was not having Vettel up there and that didn't have to do with the tyres nor the strategy - just a mechanical failure that could have happened anywhere else.

* Feel free to use whatever adjective you prefer. :)

But if Vettel wins that race, man does he open up a huge points advantage

SGWilko
30th June 2013, 19:52

Although if Ralf had bit the farm.............

SGWilko
30th June 2013, 19:55
But the tyres should be able to take it. Bet Bridgestone and Michelin wouldn't be failing.....

Except at Turkey and Indianapolis.........

SGWilko
30th June 2013, 19:57

Does your car run bespoke slicks, and do you have to use more than one compound per journey? ;)

SGWilko
30th June 2013, 20:04
Lost the gearbox. Wow...

Retrace your steps to where you last had it!

SGWilko
30th June 2013, 20:05

And at camber angles outside those recommended.......

SGWilko
30th June 2013, 20:06
Great sports in the British Crowd chearing when Seb retires. A bit sad really, but it certainly helps the championship.

Cheering because he is not a sportsmen who disobeys rules.

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 20:20
Cheering because he is not a sportsmen who disobeys rules.

Come On, can the trash talk. I can't remember any instance of Vettel disobeying the rules blatantly. Now Red Bull is another matter. It was simply an act of classless dimwits - simple as that. Happened to Hill at Hockenheim in the 90s, it happened to Vettel in Canada and it happens to everyone, who doesn't drive a Ferrari at Monza. Cheering the retirement of a driver is simply without any class, be it in a Forum or be it on the track.

Duncan
30th June 2013, 20:30
I'd say Lewis.

Agreed, but Massa deserves a shout-out too. That was a very impressive performance from him today, both at the start and coming back from his contribution to the Pirelli fail parade.

henners88
30th June 2013, 20:38
Driver of the race for me is Hamilton, wow. Nearly turned off when his tyre blew but glad I stayed tuned and watched his recovery. A hair behind is Alonso and Webber for some ballsy racing effectively like they had nothing to lose.

A frustrating day but also made up by a rather exciting race. The FIA need to meet with Pirelli to sort this tyre mess out. The governing body have demanded unpredictable tyres but this has forced it into the unknown. Tyre failures at high speed is dangerous territory and I expect Pirelli to be granted further permission to test tyres in the coming days or weeks. Not going to jump on the Pirelli hate bandwagon as we know why we are in this position. Still an exciting race and glad I watched it even if it was several hours delayed for me. :)

DexDexter
30th June 2013, 20:46
Come On, can the trash talk. I can't remember any instance of Vettel disobeying the rules blatantly. Now Red Bull is another matter. It was simply an act of classless dimwits - simple as that. Happened to Hill at Hockenheim in the 90s, it happened to Vettel in Canada and it happens to everyone, who doesn't drive a Ferrari at Monza. Cheering the retirement of a driver is simply without any class, be it in a Forum or be it on the track.

Vettel was booed because he is too dominant and dominance is boring. Plus he is German. It's good that drivers bring up feelings in fans, that's part of the sport as long as it doesn't go too far. IMo it was a good thing that Red Bull had problems, I mean it makes the championship more interesting. He's gonna win it anyway, but the longer it takes, the better for the sport it is.

BDunnell
30th June 2013, 20:48
Vettel was booed because he is too dominant and dominance is boring. Plus he is German. It's good that drivers bring up feelings in fans, that's part of the sport as long as it doesn't go too far. IMo it was a good thing that Red Bull had problems, I mean it makes the championship more interesting. He's gonna win it anyway, but the longer it takes, the better for the sport it is.

There's 'bringing up feelings' and then there's just being boorish. Booing someone falls firmly into the latter category. It's not courteous and it's not necessary.

DexDexter
30th June 2013, 20:51
There's 'bringing up feelings' and then there's just being boorish. Booing someone falls firmly into the latter category. It's not courteous and it's not necessary.

Come on, F1 fans are in reality very civilized compared to other sports. This is a non-issue really.

dj_bytedisaster
30th June 2013, 20:58
Come on, F1 fans are in reality very civilized compared to other sports. This is a non-issue really.

Of course it is a non-issue, but of all the places I would have thought in Britain such things wouldn't happen. I sort of expected that from the infernal Schumacher brigade in the 90s, when they cheered Hill's retirement in Hockenheim and for the tifosi at Monza it's normal MO, but if any country has an image of sportsmanship it is Britain. Guess the good stereotypes aren't always true either.

About booing Vettel because he's too dominant - how stupid is that? What's he supposed to do? Give away every 3rd race deliberately, so that other won't hate him? Or die, so he'll be worshiped like Senna, who was pretty damn dominant in his McLaren days?

Knock-on
30th June 2013, 21:04
Were they booing? I thought they cheered when he retired. I really cannot see anything wrong with that at all. It's not like it was a crash.

jarrambide
30th June 2013, 21:22
Of course it is a non-issue, but of all the places I would have thought in Britain such things wouldn't happen. I sort of expected that from the infernal Schumacher brigade in the 90s, when they cheered Hill's retirement in Hockenheim and for the tifosi at Monza it's normal MO, but if any country has an image of sportsmanship it is Britain. Guess the good stereotypes aren't always true either.

About booing Vettel because he's too dominant - how stupid is that? What's he supposed to do? Give away every 3rd race deliberately, so that other won't hate him? Or die, so he'll be worshiped like Senna, who was pretty damn dominant in his McLaren days?

Image of sportsmanship?, How old are you?, The land that gave the world the term "football hooliganism" was the place you believed booing was nonexistent?

As someone said, booing or cheering someone had a car failure is nothing to write about, and yet, you have 5 or 6 posts about it and you seem very angry at it. You really think anyone wants him to give away every 3rd race, or die?

Give it a rest, they were booing a very dominant driver of a team they don't support, an adversary of their favorite driver or drivers, they were booing Vettel, not his/your country.