PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Day

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 21:44
Driver of the Day: Vettel - He was just in a class of one.

Other Mentions:

Alonso - Good drive 6th to 2nd past some mighty good drivers.
Hamilton - I thought he actually did well today. His car is still an issue but a decent podium and out drove Nico today.
Vergne - What a drive. Just looked cool, calm and collected.
di Resta - 17th to 7th. With one stop. He drove smooth and fast. Great effort
Massa - Did OK.
Bottas - Some will not agree, but he did a decent job the whole weekend. Battled clean and raced hard in the early laps.

dj_bytedisaster
9th June 2013, 22:41
Alonso was my driver of the day. Battled hard and was rewarded. The pass on HAM was a bit Woolworth with DRS just allowing him to cruise past, but he drove a hard clean race and that's what we hoped to see after the lame races so far.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 22:49
Alonso was my driver of the day. Battled hard and was rewarded. The pass on HAM was a bit Woolworth with DRS just allowing him to cruise past, but he drove a hard clean race and that's what we hoped to see after the lame races so far.

I know. I does frustrate me DRS. I think that was going to be an epic scrap, but the battle is always over so quick with our good old friend DRS

The Black Knight
9th June 2013, 22:57
Vettel was driver of the day without question and obliterated the field. It was great to see driving like that.

Di Resta was also awesome today.

Hamilton and Alonso also had superb drives.

steveaki13
9th June 2013, 23:14
Vettel was driver of the day without question and obliterated the field. It was great to see driving like that.

Di Resta was also awesome today.

Hamilton and Alonso also had superb drives.

Spot on. Someone else who believes a drive like that is something brilliant without passing cars with DRS.

stevemuk
10th June 2013, 00:00

Not heard the term Woolworth before? What meaning does it have and where does the saying come from?

I thought Alonso was exceptional as well. And Vergne.

Knock-on
10th June 2013, 00:22
Alonso and PdR for me. Ham was good and extracted every millisecond out of the Merc which is still off race pace. Seb done well but the car is just so good he cruised most of the race

Hawkmoon
10th June 2013, 02:27
Vettel - made perfect use of a fast car and a clear track, a deserving winner.

Alonso - passed Webber, Bottas and the two Mercedes on his way from 6th to 2nd. Ferrari need to sort out qualifying if they want to make life difficult for Vettel.

Di Resta - turned a one-stopper into points from near the back of the grid. A perfect example of why Pirelli shouldn't touch the tyres.

Honourable Mention - Massa and Vergne.

Ranger
10th June 2013, 02:32
Vettel, Alonso , di Resta and Vergne.

10th June 2013, 05:56
I agree with you. He is really good in race and to control his confidence in tough situations. He is expert to best manage his race to hard & fast tracks.

dj_bytedisaster
10th June 2013, 06:00
Not heard the term Woolworth before? What meaning does it have and where does the saying come from?

I thought Alonso was exceptional as well. And Vergne.

The meaning is - it was a bit cheap. He just cruised by on DRS. Many good battles in the last few years ended prematurely because the attacking driver just coasts by with DRS. I think Alonso could have taken HAM in a fight and squeeze past through a corner, but we don't get to see these things very often anymore.

stevemuk
10th June 2013, 10:14
The meaning is - it was a bit cheap. He just cruised by on DRS. Many good battles in the last few years ended prematurely because the attacking driver just coasts by with DRS. I think Alonso could have taken HAM in a fight and squeeze past through a corner, but we don't get to see these things very often anymore.

We used to have a chain of retails stores in the UK called Woolworths. They went bust a few years back, I guess it emanates from there.

zako85
10th June 2013, 11:37
Vettel, Alonso , Vergne, Di Resta.

MrJan
10th June 2013, 13:19
I thought Massa did particularly well, put a lot of decent passes on a lot of drivers. I'm usually one of the first to say something negative about Felipe but thought he drove a very mature race, signs that he's continuing to gain confidence. Don't know how the hell Di Resta made his tyres last so long and still put in a decent result, top work.

I'm always loathe to say that Vettel is driver of the day because all too often I get the feeling that it's the car which is doing a lot of the work. So I think my vote has to go to Alonso for a good race and the fact that he'll always put in a good shift, even if the car isn't up to scratch.

N4D13
10th June 2013, 13:31
I'm going to go with Vettel, Alonso and di Resta. However, one should not forget that Vettel was a couple of centimetres away from making himself the donkey of the race in turn 4. Even so, that doesn't take anything away from the fact that he drove a superb race and blitzed the entire field from the beginning.

Rollo
10th June 2013, 14:11
We used to have a chain of retails stores in the UK called Woolworths. They went bust a few years back, I guess it emanates from there.

We need to update this...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060520104954/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/a/a2/Tescocarwhite.jpg/370px-Tescocarwhite.jpg

The pass on HAM was a bit (Woolworth) Tesco Value :D ... every little bit helps.

Keyser Soze
10th June 2013, 14:20
Alonso would be my choice.

Big Ben
10th June 2013, 15:03
Alonso.

Vettel just had one of his 'epic' wins... and almost did it... twice...

wedge
10th June 2013, 15:23
For me it was undoubtedly Bottas. His racecraft greatly impressed.

OK, he had an ill car and he went from hero to zero as he went backwards in a hurry but he put up a hell of a fight.

The outside line into the first chicane looked exceptional as many a time in the past that manoeuvre in past has seen drivers spin/taken to the grass.

Esteban and Romain could learn a thing or two from Bottas.

Storm
10th June 2013, 15:33
I think that was going to be an epic scrap, but the battle is always over so quick with our good old friend DRS
I have mixed feelings too...DRS is gimmicky but atleast we some passing in the top few spots , not just in the midfield scraps as earlier.

For me it was Alonso too.. Vettel is the obvious but boring choice, but Alonso went from 6 to 2 with a really good drive, especially after that uninspiring Monaco race.

steveaki13
10th June 2013, 18:05
For me it was undoubtedly Bottas. His racecraft greatly impressed.

OK, he had an ill car and he went from hero to zero as he went backwards in a hurry but he put up a hell of a fight.

The outside line into the first chicane looked exceptional as many a time in the past that manoeuvre in past has seen drivers spin/taken to the grass.

Esteban and Romain could learn a thing or two from Bottas.

Someone else who voted for Bottas as one of drivers of the day.

I too tought the way he was determined to fight Alonso and Vergne was terrific and then the move around the chicane, made sutil crack without any contact.

Its been hard to judge Bottas because he hasn't been seen much on screen this year, but looking at his drive early in the race I actually see something that may keep him in F1 a while.

If he continues to impress this season, he either needs a better Williams next year or to move teams.

We need to see him further up the field.

I mean that Williams is so poor he had little chance of staying in the points without a crazy race.

Knock-on
11th June 2013, 02:09
I'm astonished so many people rate Seb in this race. Sure, he won but if the Rsd Bull wasn't built like a tank, he could have finished his race by hitting the wall and was lucky not to spin out with his off track episode.

Good win but not DOTD.

dj_bytedisaster
11th June 2013, 04:53
I'm astonished so many people rate Seb in this race. Sure, he won but if the Rsd Bull wasn't built like a tank, he could have finished his race by hitting the wall and was lucky not to spin out with his off track episode.

Good win but not DOTD.

While I agree with you, that it didn't deserve out-right DOTD honours, it still was a brilliant drive. Putting 2 seconds on everyone else in the very first lap is something that most drivers wouldn't be able to replicate, especially on tyres you don't have any confidence in. The brush with the wall was pure luck, but at least it showed people were pushing again. We didn't see many drivers making mistakes on their own in Monaco, because everybody was creeping around with a 4 seconds safety net.
The no-spin in turn one was no luck, but calculation. He missed the braking point and since he was so far up the road, he could spare the time to go over the run-off area and lose 2 or three seconds instead of trying to wrestle the car into the corners and - then maybe - spinning.
Best drive of the day belongs to Alonso, no contest in my opinion, but Vettel comes second to that with di Resta and his tyre whisperer routine coming third.

22nd August 2013, 07:53
I agree with you. He is really good in race and to control his confidence in tough situations. He is expert to best manage his race to hard & fast tracks.

Especially the style and driving skills of Hamilton and Alonso were impressive and both impressed me a lot.

Counting Scale (http://www.myscalestore.com/)