PDA

View Full Version : Pocono

Sparky1329
7th June 2013, 05:49
The weather's not looking very good for most of the weekend. I'll be very surprised if they can get qualifying in tomorrow. It almost always rains on race day here at Pocono. There's a chance of some showers on Sunday.

R.Lee
7th June 2013, 11:01
Hey Sparky,

Yes, I'm afraid you're right about the weather. :( Always seems to rain at Pocono. I saw that there is a 100% chance of rain there today, doesn't look much better tomorrow. They'll probably wind up having to set the field for qualifying. :( Keeping fingers crossed that they'll be able to race on Sunday, but it doesn't look good. :(

Sparky1329
8th June 2013, 02:15
Actually, the latest weather report for tomorrow has improved. T.S. Andrea is moving faster than predicted so it should be a decent day tomorrow. Sunday is looking better but there's still a slight chance of a shower later in the day. Today was a complete wash out but we really need the rain here.

Welcome to the forum, R.Lee! :wave:

R.Lee
8th June 2013, 02:16
Well, looks like you called it Sparky, unfortunately. :( Tomorrow doesn't look much better. :(

Qualifying rained out at Pocono: rain all day at Pocono Raceway caused qualifying to be canceled for the Party at the Poconos 400 Sprint Cup Series race on Friday. The starting lineup was set by the rules book. The top 36 set by OWNERS [not drivers] points, then by race attempts, ties broken by owners points rank. #48-Johnson will start first followed by #99-Edwards, #15-Bowyer, #20-Kenseth, #29-Harvick, #88-Earnhardt Jr., #5-Kahne, #18-Busch, #27-Menard & #2-Keselowski. 43 drivers were entered, so all made the race. All tickets from (http://www.motorsportforums.com/#) Friday are good for $10 off tomorrow's ticket or can be redeemed for Fri Aug ticket(6-7-2013)

Weather rained out track activities at Pocono on Friday UPDATES: The weather forecast for Long Pond, PA and the Pocono Raceway this weekend does NOT look good at all for Friday [Practice & Qualifying] or Saturday [Practices]:
The forecast for Friday: Showers. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 62. Southeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
Friday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a low around 56. East wind 7 to 13 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Saturday: Showers likely, with thunderstorms also possible after 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. West wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.(6-7-2013)
UPDATE: As of 9:30 am/et Friday, it was raining at the track. The 2.5-mile triangular track typically takes more than two hours to dry, although it does have NASCARs new drying system on-site (Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2013-06-07/pocono-qualifying-practice-rain-starting-lineup-sprint-cup-race))
UPDATE2: as of 12:00pm/et, Sprint (http://www.motorsportforums.com/#) Cup Series practice is under a rain delay at Pocono.
UPDATE3: All track activities at Pocono scheduled for Friday have been canceled. Sprint Cup Series race lineup has been set by the rules book, the top 36 by owners points, then by race attempts, ties broken by owners points rank.

R.Lee
9th June 2013, 13:13
Good Morning Sparky. Thanks for the welcome. :D Yes, they got the practices in yesterday, as well as the ARCA race. :D Weather should cooperate today, but it being Pocono, I don't think I can ever remember a race there, that there hasn't been, at the very least, a threat of rain. Usually there is at least one rain delay during races there, Pocono played it smart. From what I understand, they got access the NASCAR's Air Titan track drying system. If true, they are the first non-ISC track to have the system on-hand for use. Earlier, ISC said that it would only be available to ISC tracks, until there were more of the systems on hand. Hope we have a good race today. Enjoy the race at Pocono my friend! :D

Alexamateo
9th June 2013, 14:54
Last year's races after the re-pave were very entertaining. Hoping for more of the same,this year. Looking like the rain will hold off until tomorrow.