PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar Announces Return to Innovation

Rex Monaco
5th June 2013, 06:22
This is the best news to come from Indianapolis since the remergification. Someone might actually be listening to those of us who want innovation. And thankfully, that means they are ignoring the naysayers amongst us.

IndyCar opens way for innovation in speed and safety - Autoweek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130524/indycar/130529848)

"In a way, we're going back to the future. Indy cars have always been about innovation and speed, and our goal is to open the door for that again. We'll start with our current car platform and give our teams and suppliers more ability to affect how they race. We always have to be mindful of costs, but that doesn't mean we can't manage improvements to create more exciting racing and at the same time do it safely."

"This is an opportunity for us to go back to our roots. Indy car is all about the progression of speed and pushing the performance barrier, and I strongly feel that this needs to be a big part of the future of our sport. The sooner we can get going, the sooner we can have a shot at Arie's record. It's been standing for far too long."

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=59699

Initiatives outlined as part of the IZOD IndyCar Series long-term strategy include:
• 2013 - INDYCAR and Dallara look to reduce the surface area of the underbody of the current chassis to reduce the potential for lift in preparation for the addition of various aerodynamic configurations in 2015.
• 2014 - Engine upgrades as part of the current homologation process; downforce adjustments to enhance racing, overtaking as well as safety at various racetrack configurations, as needed.
• 2015 - Aero configuration components introduced for the full IZOD IndyCar Series season in conjunction with potential enhancements to the underbody.
• 2016 - Opportunity for tire development, if needed, with Firestone, as well as engine power enhancements as required.
• 2017 - Possible aero configuration kits and engine upgrades. Potential for areas on car to be opened for team development.
• 2018 - Competition enhancements made based on performance of 2017 package.
• 2019 - Potential introduction of new body style and engine formula.
• 2020 - Competition enhancements made based on performance of 2019 package.
• 2021 - Possible aero configuration upgrade.

These are a good starting points. I would still prefer open competition at the Indy 500. But we might get there one day, if it survives this slow role out.

The era of mismanagement might be over. But we've had to throw the red flag before. So let's run under caution until we know for sure.

dj_bytedisaster
5th June 2013, 06:27
I think getting Derrick Walker behind the wheel may be the smartest move Indycar made in along time. Here's to hope that a once great series will rise from the ashes. :)

garyshell
5th June 2013, 06:58
I just hope that the powers that be let Derrick go through with this.

Gary

heliocastroneves#3
5th June 2013, 11:24
Great, simply great news! Not to be a prick but if they really want to return to their roots, well, let's get some road/street courses replaced with ovals too!

But this is some great news already, I'm a huge Luyendyk fan but the Indy track record is his now for already way too long, a new Indianapolis Motor Speedway track record is necessary.

FIAT1
5th June 2013, 15:22
Acknowledging a mistake is a good step forward.Opening competition is great news, but we did hear this before when new car (which looked much better than current bumper car) was introduced. Some one is listening to us and I hope for everyone's sake is not just a lip service.

dj_bytedisaster
5th June 2013, 16:57
Great, simply great news! Not to be a prick but if they really want to return to their roots, well, let's get some road/street courses replaced with ovals too!

But this is some great news already, I'm a huge Luyendyk fan but the Indy track record is his now for already way too long, a new Indianapolis Motor Speedway track record is necessary.

The appeal of CART in its best days was a good mixture of street, road and oval circuits. We don't need an oval-dominated series were races have to be postponed or cancelled whenever a bit of rain falls.

anthonyvop
5th June 2013, 20:03
Nothing meaningful till 2015 and you know many owners will be still lobbying for even more of a delay.

The big question is will it even actually matter by 2015?

call_me_andrew
8th June 2013, 03:50
I'm not sure how great this news really is.

2015 - Aero configuration components introduced for the full IZOD IndyCar Series season in conjunction with potential enhancements to the underbody.

Wasn't that supposed to happen in 2014?

2014 - Engine upgrades as part of the current homologation process; downforce adjustments to enhance racing, overtaking as well as safety at various racetrack configurations, as needed.

What does "engine upgrade" mean? 140kpa in race trim at Indy?

zako85
9th June 2013, 01:19
I don't get it. When will teams get to install custom aero kits if at all? Is that in 2015 or 2017? Are we supposed to be excited about this? At this pace, it will be a decade until the new chassis, much less having at least two competing chassis.

FIAT1
9th June 2013, 12:37
I don't get it. When will teams get to install custom aero kits if at all? Is that in 2015 or 2017? Are we supposed to be excited about this? At this pace, it will be a decade until the new chassis, much less having at least two competing chassis.

Agree, at this pace many will not care anymore . Time for change is now!

Keyser Soze
10th June 2013, 14:16
Five years with same car is too long for any series, especially for millennial generation of fans that is used to constant innovation as a way of life.

Starter
10th June 2013, 15:53
Five years with same car is too long for any series, especially for millennial generation of fans that is used to constant innovation as a way of life.
Good point.