PDA

View Full Version : 6 Points?

dhess68
5th June 2013, 02:12
Brad Keselowski penalized for car being too low after Sundays Dover race, ok the problem I have with this is I know that a part broke and it was low but 6 points? That seems sorta limp wristed then does it not? Either stand firm, penalize him a larger sum since his and Loganos team just got their crew chiefs back or don't penalize at all.

Just seems kinda petty to me.

Btw, i'm new here...hello from Tahlequah Oklahoma. Long time Nascar fan since Cale and Donnie duked it out at Daytona, also follow Indy/F1/NHRA/WRC/BTCC/ALMS/V8 Supercars...basically anything with an engine and wheels.

slorydn1
7th June 2013, 05:14
Brad Keselowski penalized for car being too low after Sundays Dover race, ok the problem I have with this is I know that a part broke and it was low but 6 points? That seems sorta limp wristed then does it not? Either stand firm, penalize him a larger sum since his and Loganos team just got their crew chiefs back or don't penalize at all.

Just seems kinda petty to me.

Btw, i'm new here...hello from Tahlequah Oklahoma. Long time Nascar fan since Cale and Donnie duked it out at Daytona, also follow Indy/F1/NHRA/WRC/BTCC/ALMS/V8 Supercars...basically anything with an engine and wheels.

Welcome aboard :up:

Actually, the 6 point penalty is pretty much the standard deduction NASCAR hands out for these sort of infractions, which it truly is, just an infraction. By comparison, the 6 point penalty under this point system equates to the 25 point penalty they used to hand out under the Latford point system that was in effect through 2010 (6/48 -vs-25/195), so it is not an insignifcant penalty by any stretch.

If you go back through previous seasons and look it up on Jayski in his penalties section, it seems that being a little low at the height sticks usually got a team the 6 (or 25) point penalty going back to about 2005 or so, before that all they would usually do is fine the CC $10-25k and not even mess with points.

call_me_andrew
8th June 2013, 03:41
6 points makes a big difference post-Latford system.

R.Lee
8th June 2013, 11:54
Hello dhess68,

As slorydn1 said, pretty much the standard penelty for this infraction. Though, to me at least, it seems that every time this penelty has been imposed this year, it has been because somethin on the car broke, causing the car to be too low. Most likely, it has not had any influnce on the outcome of the race. In light of that, it seem a bit pointless to penelize a team, when it is proven that the cause was beyond the control of the team.

Like you, I'm a "newbie" here and I'm also a long time NASCAR fan, though I go all the way back to 1958, started following NASCAR when I was 5 years old, as my dad got me interested in it. He took me to my first race, at age 6, in 1959, the final race at the old Lakewood Fairgrounds Speedway, here in Atlanta, in 1959. I am an AVID stock car racing fan. I follow every stock car racing series that I can find, NASCAR, ARCA, Rev-oil (formerly Hooter's ProCup). Followed USAC stock cars and ASA, before those series were ended. I was at the 1979 Daytona 500, when Cale, Donnie and Bobby got into the fight. ;) I watch NHRA at times, like drag racing and even though I dislike road-racing, I for some reason that I don't understand, I have developed an interest in the Australian V8 Supercar Series. :confused: Unlike you, I care nothing for f-1, AMLS/GrandAm, etc., and I can't stand indy! Anyway, from one "newbie" to another, "Welcome Aboard"! :D

I see you're from Oklahoma, I hope you were not anywhere near all of the tornados that hit there in the last couple of weeks. It has been terrible there. I live in Flowery Branch, GA -- we get tornados in North GA sometimes, but usually nowhere near the strength of the ones that have devestated your state. Stay safe.