PDA

View Full Version : Grosjean's racecraft.

Ranger
26th May 2013, 16:13
I have my doubts. He is starting to look like a dead weight for Lotus.

Discuss.

jens
26th May 2013, 16:44
As a symphatizer of Grosjean, I agree. He seems to be quite a sensitive driver in terms of in which cars/conditions he can actually go really fast. And his racecraft is not consistent either. I think in Malaysia and Bahrain he was great in that respect, but it was a complete let-down in Monaco.

Especially if Kimi leaves to Red Bull, Lotus will have some serious thinking to do about its 2014 driver line-up. Could be the most interesting topic of the silly season!

Then again F1 teaches all too often that it is easy to bash a driver only for him to bounce back impressively in the very next race. But Grosjean is certainly on the limit now in terms of whether Lotus can trust him to re-hire again. Raise in game is paramount.

Hawkmoon
26th May 2013, 17:41
The only time "Grosjean" and "racecraft" should be mentioned in the same sentence is when they are joined by the words "completely lacking".

dj_bytedisaster
26th May 2013, 17:54
Roger that

christophulus
26th May 2013, 19:07
Maybe Grosjean is under pressure for exactly that reason? If Kimi is off next year then maybe Grosjean is trying to prove he is capable of being the team's number 1 driver, and cracking under the pressure.

Lotus would indeed have a tough driver choice if Kimi leaves but they seem like a well run team that is capable of turning out consistently good cars. That'll be an attractive proposition for most of the grid so I don't think they'll struggle to fill the seats with decent drivers.

steveaki13
26th May 2013, 23:49
He has worked hard this season to race cleanly, but this whole Weekend has shown he just has a major flaw or block with his racing.

I mean his smash into Ricciardo was amazingly bad coupled with all the other incidents.

He is losing his grip on F1 for 2014

wedge
27th May 2013, 00:09
Isn't Grosjean supposed to be on a final warning or something after Spa last year?

Dave B
27th May 2013, 18:49
Grosjean in a nutshell:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m090cqVAx31qev01no1_400.jpg

pino
27th May 2013, 18:56
I wouldn't mind to see Valsecchi on his car...just for 1 race :p :

N. Jones
28th May 2013, 03:28
Sad to see as he is in a race winning car.
Can you imagine what happens if both Kimi and Grosjean left??? Who would replace them!?

chac47
28th May 2013, 04:47
I think it's a shame that he may lose his F1 drive because he's a talented driver but seems to lack the ability to anticipate and react quickly enough to changes around him. As steveaki13 said "he has a major flaw". I feel for the Grosjean, he's probably losing faith in himself but I can't see him being able to continue in F1.

Koz
28th May 2013, 05:39
He has had a terrible weekend. But he has had a fairly OK season so far.

If next year, both are out of Lotus. They could end up with Kovalainen and Webber (if he doesn't retire).

henners88
28th May 2013, 08:39
This race did him no favours at all and its sad to see because I really like Romain. He's got the speed and the ability, yet when he messes up he messes up in a big way. Not sure if this is true but apparently he is employed by Lotus on 3 race contracts so he really can't afford too many mistakes if this is true. He's been in the sport long enough now so shouldn't be making rookie mistakes. If he loses his drive its his fault but I really hope he gets his head in gear because I think he's got potential to be a very decent driver.

zako85
28th May 2013, 09:04
Bring back Heidfeld or Petrov. LOL. Honestly, while neither of them will set the race track on fire (except when it's Hungary), they're great consistent points scorers who can race without having a drama.

henners88
28th May 2013, 09:13
Bring back Heidfeld or Petrov. LOL. Honestly, while neither of them will set the race track on fire (except when it's Hungary), they're great consistent points scorers who can race without having a drama.
We don't know how serious Kubica is to return or whether he's at a competent level but it could well be him replacing Grosjean for 2014. A long shot but he is doing extended stints in the Mercedes simulator at present so it'll all focus on that and who has the rights to use him should he want to return. Then again I can't see Mercedes dropping either of their drivers for an unknown in the near or distant future.

jens
28th May 2013, 10:03
If Lotus had two vacant seats for next year, my list of drivers to fill those seats would consist of names like Sutil, di Resta, Hülkenberg and perhaps Bianchi too to give you some options. Why not even Ricciardo or Vergne. All of who are currently in F1, up to speed, young enough and seem pretty fast and competent. Of course we know Sutil could be ruled out due to that glassing incident in 2011...

Among competent drivers, who are currently not in F1, a glance can be given at Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Glock and Alguersuari.

steveaki13
28th May 2013, 13:13
I would love to see Kubica back in F1 but I cant see it.

A complete new line up is tough on a team.

I think a line up of Hulkenberg and Bianchi would be fun, but it might be a risky.

I can see them calling on Webber or Kovalainen as a cool head to lead the team.

jens
28th May 2013, 13:24
I would love to see Kubica back in F1 but I cant see it.

A complete new line up is tough on a team.

I think a line up of Hulkenberg and Bianchi would be fun, but it might be a risky.

I can see them calling on Webber or Kovalainen as a cool head to lead the team.

Two new drivers? Well, they did it for 2012. If situation requires, it needs to be done and it may work out fine.

However, they may decide that they may just as well keep Grosjean and hope for an improvement rather than bring in someone like Bianchi, who is also inexperienced and can easily start crashing as well. After all, during some periods Grosjean has shown some serious potential. Just the question is, how to get it out of him.

IMO if they want an experienced leader, they may just as well call Sutil rather than Webber. Sutil is younger and has many more years in front of him. Is probably in the prime of his career, while Webber is already dizzling off. And I do think Sutil and di Resta are both a bit underrated. They seem to have the level (adequate speed, consistency) of being at least a decent #2 driver - something, which Webber himself already is.

As said in another thread about Rosberg - drivers, who do a competent job in midfield for years, get easily overlooked. But at least "competent" is certainly, how I would call these drivers. Rarely underperform - usually get the points they should get given the car.

steveaki13
28th May 2013, 14:25
True enough

Koz
29th May 2013, 17:44
IMO if they want an experienced leader, they may just as well call Sutil rather than Webber. Sutil is younger and has many more years in front of him. Is probably in the prime of his career, while Webber is already dizzling off. And I do think Sutil and di Resta are both a bit underrated. They seem to have the level (adequate speed, consistency) of being at least a decent #2 driver - something, which Webber himself already is.

Yes, Sutil would be a better candidate than Webber, but Sutil did go stabby=stabby to the owner, so that won't happen.

Who does that leave as experienced candidates?
Massa would be a bad pick.

What about Kovalainen? He has history there.

steveaki13
29th May 2013, 19:57
I think maybe Heikki would be a leading candidate, afterall he had a season there in 2007 so he must know something about the team

kfzmeister
30th May 2013, 13:57
This radio transmission cracks me up. It came from Ricciardo right after he told his engineer that he'd been hit and his engineer asked what happened.

"You can probably guess the driver. Looks like he probably misjudged it, went over the top of me"!
Imo, not good when the driver's are talking about you this way :-(

DexDexter
30th May 2013, 20:17
Grosjean is on his way out I fear. I guess his last year's flashes of speed were more Kimi being rusty than Grosjean being exceptional. The problem for Lotus is who is going to replace him? Heikki would be the best candidate if the decided to replace him immediately, but two Finns in the same team is bit too much.

dj_bytedisaster
30th May 2013, 20:26
He's quick, there's no doubt about that. He proved it, when the car was repaired in Q1 and he went out and went straight to P1. His problem is, as soon as there are other cars about, he's effed. As KFz said, the other drivers start badmouthing him - that's bad. Maybe with a bit more time he could do an Andrea de Cesaris and become more dependable later in his career, but these days team bosses don't have that sort of patience anymore

kfzmeister
30th May 2013, 21:44
Grosjean is on his way out I fear. I guess his last year's flashes of speed were more Kimi being rusty than Grosjean being exceptional. The problem for Lotus is who is going to replace him? Heikki would be the best candidate if the decided to replace him immediately, but two Finns in the same team is bit too much.

Conversely, me thinks he's still there cause he's French. :rolleyes:

tjoepie
30th May 2013, 22:55
Kovaleinen??? Really. I'll give you he's consistent, but he was so far behind Hamilton when he was at McLaren it was a joke... I really do want to see Grosjean coming good, though, but if not I'd also really like to see Kobayashi come back!

steveaki13
31st May 2013, 20:59
I suppose Lotus might see Kimi as out and out team leader and Heikki as a driver to add points. However if Kimi is off next season then I dont see Heikki becoming a leader at Lotus.

Tough decision

Koz
1st June 2013, 00:34
I suppose Lotus might see Kimi as out and out team leader and Heikki as a driver to add points. However if Kimi is off next season then I dont see Heikki becoming a leader at Lotus.

Tough decision

Who else is an option?

Heikki is the most experienced driver available, and the only real candidate. Unless they want old man Webber for a season.
Glock? Nah.

Massa, possibly if he gets the sack.

Lotus did fire everyone else.

Unless... Juan Pablo [pause] Montoya... Or JV!

steveaki13
1st June 2013, 11:01
Who else is an option?

Heikki is the most experienced driver available, and the only real candidate. Unless they want old man Webber for a season.
Glock? Nah.

This is the problem. There are some greats at the top of F1, but as for up and coming future world champions there are not as many options.

zako85
1st June 2013, 12:56
I think maybe Heikki would be a leading candidate, afterall he had a season there in 2007 so he must know something about the team

Yeah, he probably knows the driving directions to the headquarters, but not a lot more than that. Since then team owners and team principal have changed, as well as a lot of mid-level staff members.

AndyL
2nd June 2013, 12:22
Who else is an option?

Glock? Nah.

Hulkenberg could be regretting his switch to Sauber, he might welcome a move to Lotus.

keysersoze
3rd June 2013, 03:41
Mike Conway

dj_bytedisaster
3rd June 2013, 05:54
Glock? Nah.

Why not? He's certainly a much more dependable driver than Heikki or Grosjean. And he's pretty good at adapting to cars, too. He went from 12th on the grid to 3rd yesterday at the RB Ring in only his 3rd ever touring car race in a team that also never ran in DTM before. I think that shows what the man has to offer, especially since except for Hakkinen and Alesi no other recent F1 driver in DTM came even close to winning or challenging for podiums (Schumacher, Frentzen, Coulthard).

Knock-on
3rd June 2013, 08:02
Kos, you beat me to the JV joke :D

Romain has used up lots of lives. Whereas JPM and possibly Checo in the modern era are aggressive and get into racing scrapes, RG is aggressive and gets into fund crashes. He has talent but sometimes you'd think there was an 18 year old blond secretary driving

Mia 01
3rd June 2013, 10:35
Lotus needs money and therefore they have to reach second place in the WCC. As it stands for the moment Mercedes will take that place from Lotus.

Koz
3rd June 2013, 12:33
Why not? He's certainly a much more dependable driver than Heikki or Grosjean. And he's pretty good at adapting to cars, too. He went from 12th on the grid to 3rd yesterday at the RB Ring in only his 3rd ever touring car race in a team that also never ran in DTM before. I think that shows what the man has to offer, especially since except for Hakkinen and Alesi no other recent F1 driver in DTM came even close to winning or challenging for podiums (Schumacher, Frentzen, Coulthard).

What makes him more dependable than Hekki?

Hekki has outperformed every driver he has been up again excluding Hamilton, can the same be said for Glock?
Hekki was a mile ahead of Janro, was Glock?