PDA

View Full Version : Speed vs. Safety

Captain Chaos
23rd May 2013, 00:35
I've wanted to see motorcycle racing get faster, but I've also been concerned about how to make the races faster without killing the rider.

How would they go about making it faster without too many fatalities?

Rod Richardson
23rd May 2013, 08:24
I've wanted to see motorcycle racing get faster, but I've also been concerned about how to make the races faster without killing the rider.

How would they go about making it faster without too many fatalities?

Well, I suppose they could cut out all those curves but then they couldn't do laps. :D

PS. I entered a drag race once but didn't do well because I couldn't run wearing high heel shoes.

Captain Chaos
23rd May 2013, 17:08
What if the track had curves more at an angle so that they're easier to take?

patnicholls
23rd May 2013, 23:48
*Raises moderator's eyebrow*

I want to see where this is going...

Captain Chaos
24th May 2013, 00:32
What I was thinking of was something like in a Hot Wheels track.

The angling in the curves should help lower the risks towards the riders, shouldn't it?

Or what about the bikes' designs? Would we have to change those in any way if possible?

Mark
24th May 2013, 10:11
What I was thinking of was something like in a Hot Wheels track.

The angling in the curves should help lower the risks towards the riders, shouldn't it?

Or what about the bikes' designs? Would we have to change those in any way if possible?

Give them 4 wheels they would be much more stable.

Captain Chaos
24th May 2013, 14:12

Okay, but wouldn't that get them declassified as motorcycles?

Couldn't they just have wider wheels?

Mark
24th May 2013, 14:16
25mm is the maximum width of tyre anyone needs.

Captain Chaos
24th May 2013, 16:32
That didn't stop whoever made the Bat Pod from The Dark Knight. Didn't the Bat Pod count as a motorbike? I thought maybe it could be applied to racing bikes.

steveaki13
25th May 2013, 08:38

I dont normally venture over the 2 wheeled side, but I am interested to see what our new friend has to say. :rolleyes:

Captain Chaos
31st May 2013, 01:29
What about a competition where we race bikes like these? (http://thekneeslider.com/images/2012/10/aerobike.jpg)

You could get much faster races with a bike like that, and maybe fewer accidents. The "stopping wheels" would come in handy for certain scenarios in the race.