PDA

View Full Version : Bring back 'Global Warming' (to the UK at least)

306 Cosworth
13th May 2013, 21:38
Whatever happened to Global warming?

Here in the UK we had our Summer in late March, early April in 2012, it lasted about 2 weeks.

We have already had our Summer this year, which lasted 3 days. Snow is now forecast for the Brecon Beacons tomorrow.

All we get is wind and rain, and i'm getting fed up of it. Bring back Global Warming I say.

Rollo
14th May 2013, 00:26
Global warming results in a cooler Europe.

The Gulf Stream which runs from the Caribbean to the North Atlantic carries with it a whole stack of heat which results in that heat translating to warmer weather right across Europe.
Global Warming in the short term, lessens the potential heat difference between the Arctic and the Equator, slowing down the Gulf Stream and with it, the transference of heat across the Atlantic.

In the long term though, everything will get warmer, which is possibly a good thing. I wanna see Manchester "the Venice of the North", get it's own fleet of gondolas :D

schmenke
14th May 2013, 16:23
Quite pleasant here now for this time of the year, although tinder-dry. We haven't received any kind of precipitation since the last snow fall about a month ago :s

Firstgear
14th May 2013, 17:29
We just survived our coldest April in 120 years (3rd coldest ever recorded). May has mostly been ok - it was 27C here yesterday. Fishing season opened a couple of days ago (no fishing allowed during spawning), but with the cold April that we had there's still ice on many of the lakes. The swift change in temps has made for some windy days. A few hours north of me, the ice from the lake was blown onto shore creating a 3m ice wall that destroyed some of the homes along the shore.

Donney
14th May 2013, 17:41
I would not mind a bit of warmth and less rain around here, either...

donKey jote
14th May 2013, 20:47
Don't take off your sayo til the 40th of Mayo :bandit: :andrea:

Big Ben
15th May 2013, 08:35
The funny thing about global warming is that it explains just about any kind of weather.

Rudy Tamasz
15th May 2013, 08:48
Whatever happened to Global warming?

Here in the UK we had our Summer in late March, early April in 2012, it lasted about 2 weeks.

We have already had our Summer this year, which lasted 3 days. Snow is now forecast for the Brecon Beacons tomorrow.

All we get is wind and rain, and i'm getting fed up of it. Bring back Global Warming I say.

Send a note to Al Gore. I'm sure he'll feel your pain.

dj_bytedisaster
15th May 2013, 11:02
Global warming results in a cooler Europe.

The Gulf Stream which runs from the Caribbean to the North Atlantic carries with it a whole stack of heat which results in that heat translating to warmer weather right across Europe.
Global Warming in the short term, lessens the potential heat difference between the Arctic and the Equator, slowing down the Gulf Stream and with it, the transference of heat across the Atlantic.

In the long term though, everything will get warmer, which is possibly a good thing. I wanna see Manchester "the Venice of the North", get it's own fleet of gondolas :D

The gondolas in Manchester won't happen though. The Demise of the gulf stream effectively turns off the heater for us northern and central Europeans and while it gets warmer in most parts of the world, central and northern Europe can expect near Siberian weather. Jeremy Clarkson of TopGear fame often uses the catch phrase "because of global warming" when describing bad weather and cold temperatures, but it is exactly true. If the gulf stream is weakened, we're seriously effed on this side of the pond.

306 Cosworth
17th May 2013, 10:24
Thanks for brightening my day!

SGWilko
17th May 2013, 11:07
It's all my fault chaps - sorry. Last year, when we had a hosepipe ban, I purchased a 1200 litre water butt as I am on a water meter. Soon as the darn thing turned up the heavens opened and didn't stop......

D-Type
18th May 2013, 21:35
We don't realise how lucky we are in Britain. Today I was at a presentation about the long term clearing up after the New York floods. Because of the US presidential election the news was off the TV screens after a week but the chaos didn't go away magically.

GridGirl
18th May 2013, 21:42
I have been watching or not watching in today's case (as the weather was too bad to record on tv and broadcast) the Giro d'Italia. We sure have had far better weather in the UK during the last two weeks than they have had in Italy. Apart from Friday where there wasn't torrential rain, snow or freezing cold I would much rather be here than there.

ford power
19th May 2013, 15:36
over here in ireland we've freezing our butts of
yesterday it poured none stop and most of the year so far has been freezing
nothern ireland had extremely heavy snowfalls which killed off a lot of livestock causing havoc for the poor farmers