PDA

View Full Version : Best option for a starter car

Garrettmc
10th December 2006, 22:50
Hello, forgive me for being rather new to the forum.

Im looking to start some rally racing myself and have been doing some research lately. I wanted to get some feedback on what would be the best car for me to buy in order to start rallying. My price range for the car would be around 5-6k and I wanted to start with a car that is 4wd. Im a student and I realize that 5-6k isnt going to get me anything spectacular but I'm very willing to put a lot of time and money into the car to make it decent. Im rather handy mechanically and love to work on cars so I would be doing the majority of the modifcations and work to the car myself.

So far I have looked at these cars:
- Subaru Impreza or Legacy
- Toyota Celica
- Ford Focus
- Audi Quattro
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Volkswagen Golf

I realized that not all of those cars may come with a 4wd option, but was wondering if it was worth the time converting a 2wd car into a 4wd? Out of the list above, what would be the best car for me? Also, if you have a better car in mind then feel free to suggest it, im open to ideas.

Thank you for your time.

L5->R5/CR
11th December 2006, 06:12
Garret...

There is a lot to say here so please bare with me.

There should be more that goes into the seleciton of a car than just if it is 4wd or not for rallying.

What part of the country are you in? This will determine the amount of events that are close to you as well as who runs those events. One of the US sanctioning bodies restricts new drivers into low hp mainly 2wd vehicles. To run a 4wd you would have to contact the series administrator and get an exemption, probably for a non-turbo less than 2.2l car.

Subies make great rally cars, but you will be hard pressed to find a NA subie that is in great running shape that is ready to run as is for under 8-10,000.00. Especially one that will be built (bought or by your own hands) to a sufficient level to be reliable and relatively low maintenance.

I would consider, if I were you, at this point, something cheap, from the 80s or early 90s and 2wd. There are normally a decent selection of 2wd cars, either hondas, or VWs, that are fairly well built and competitive for your price range, these are also cars with lots of parts on the market that are suitable for rallying.

Some more things to think about are entry fees and maintenance costs as well as towing. A lot of events will cost between 350 and 1300 depending on teh type and location of the event. Factor in hotel, food, crew accomodations, and towing and events are very expensive, a car that has more expensive parts will make for fewer events.

What I would do if I were you is to find some local events and go and spectate, or volunteer to work for the organizers. Talk with some teams, look around at some cars, unless things are going poorly for a team most all teams will take the time to talk your ear off if you're interested. Figure out if you really want to do 4wd or not (it is cheaper to learn in 2wd and 2wd cars are generally easier to throw away when you wreck them, and you will wreck them if you are trying to be a better driver). Once you find a car you are interested in crew for a team for a couple events and really learn what works and what doesn't on the car and then go shopping.

I'm not going to tell you what to start in, but a turbo charged 4wd monster is probably a bad idea.

Head over to http://www.specialstage.com that is where all the US/Canada folks are normally. You'll find more information there (as well as your usual internet forum BS) than you could imagine.

Then spend some time at http://www.rally-america.com and http://www.nasarallysport.com and look at some rule books and such.

See you on the stages.

Bjorn240
11th December 2006, 18:25
- Subaru Impreza or Legacy
- Ford Focus
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volvo 240

Those are the cars I'd consider.

Also, Kevin has given you good advice. Head over to specialstage.com, and come out to a few rallies this year.

- Christian