PDA

View Full Version : My idea & your thoughts? BVRC British Van Racing Championships-part of TOCA Package

MAX_THRUST
5th May 2013, 11:58
Ok this just a pipe dream, and isn't gonna happen unless I win shed loads of cash on the lottery, but why is there no British Van Racing Championship? I moved recently and was driving a hired ford transit, got me thinking.

The idea:

The vans - Transit sized.
Manufactures - VW, Ford, Vauxhall, Fiat, Merc, Peugot, Renault etc.

Tech - All petrol or all diesel, control tyres, suspension, lowered and stiffened, exhausts, dont bother lets make 'em loud. Role cage, simple construction to protect driver and to stiffen rear of the vehicle. Lower the drivers seat, clear rear window, and big mirrors. Added ballast to level the field, maybe reverse grid, based on championship position.
Speed - ok they might be slow and be a handful, but that would just make the racing more fun. Watching the Porches today on the TOCA package, yeah they are fast but it was dull. Legend cars are wicked and the pickups at Rockingham used to be great.Kids loved em.

Sponsors - Think of all the vans we see daily on the roads. All possible sponsors that might see the benefit of being in such a serious.
SKY, BT, VIRGIN, AA, RAC, GREEN FLAG, BRITISH GAS, ELECTRIC COMPANIES, ROYAL MAIL, UPS, DHL, AUTO GLASS, EVEREST, the list could go on and on.
Stick a big NASCAR style number on each door roof, and on the back, and the rest is huge advertising space.

WHY do it? - Kids would love it and get them interested in racing, tradesmen would love it, I would too, cause it would be different. I think we would all enjoy it as it would be so different, but these are vehicles we see everyday and can relate to.

DRIVERS - There's plenty out there and if teams are getting good big name sponsors, and the vans are cheap to build and run it could be a viable series, with big returns for TV viewing figures and opportunity for big sposnership as opposed to smaller cars, where sometimes you can't see the sponsors name.

Ok so I may be living in lala land with this idea, but it would be a laugh, and I really think the general public would warm to it. If I ever win loads on the lottery I will make this happen. So what do you all think? Am I a complete idot or is this not a good idea. I have discussed it with some friends and not one person has said it wouldn't be good.....maybe they are just humouring me.

christophulus
5th May 2013, 19:28
Anything like this?

ohkAxbeMxVo

Seriously though, it could work but would have to be dirt cheap to enter. Plus I can't get out of my mind the fact it'd be more like a demolition derby than a race. And I'm not sure how stable a van would be at speed even with the lowered suspension etc

Rollo
6th May 2013, 06:03
zU4paH8qcQ8

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY :D

Truck racing is a thing in the Netherlands, so I don't see any reason why a Transit shouldn't go up against an Iveco, Vito and Trafic.

MAX_THRUST
6th May 2013, 14:16
Stability could be an issue, but I think that would just add to the fun of it. I think this would be such a good support races for the TOCA package.

Langdale Forest
7th May 2013, 18:47
Very interesting idea, it sounds like something Top Gear would invent.

Eurotech
8th May 2013, 02:41
Sounds awesome, I'm in.