PDA

View Full Version : Rep

Pages : [1] 2 3

Daniel
10th December 2006, 21:43
Is it possible to not receive rep at all? Because I've received a couple of - rep's for no reason in the last couple of days and tbh it doesn't phase me whether I'm part of it but evidently some people can't be sensible and will give negative rep to people for no real reason. I'd prefer it if the moron who is making an effort to be rude to me by giving me bad rep for no reason wasn't able to do this anymore. I really did think it would be a good thing for this forum but evidently one or two people on this forum aren't grown up enough. Or conversely if it's possible for a mod or admin to see who's given me negative rep for no reason could they please warn them not to do it for no reason :) I'm not having a cry because I'm on this forum to be the most popular or anything. I just don't think the reputation function should be abused so you can do this sort of thing for no reason

janneppi
10th December 2006, 21:54
It's quite common in rep-equipped forums that people easily give good/bad rep not according to how you come off, but according to do they agree with you.

Daniel
10th December 2006, 22:00
Well from the feedback that they left it was nothing to do with them agreeing or disagreeing with me. It's just someone trying to be a bit nasty. I would have liked rep to have worked for the forum but it seems people are just going to play friends and enemies and leave bad rep for people they don't like :mark:

I don't care at all if I end up having more rep than anyone or less. I don't think people should use the rep function as a way of getting at people without having to reveal themselves like they would have to if they wrote a PM or a rude post :down:

AndySpeed
10th December 2006, 22:06
I think you're being overly sensitive Daniel.

You've currently got more rep than me, so therefore you're doing something right.

And the reason you are maybe receiving more negative rep than others (at a guess) is perhaps down to the fact that you have posted over 21,500 times and therefore have a greater forum 'exposure'. Therefore your name comes into contact with people who abuse the system more than someone like me.

I think the positive rep that you get more than likely balances out the arseholes. ;)

Daniel
10th December 2006, 22:30
I think you're being overly sensitive Daniel.

You've currently got more rep than me, so therefore you're doing something right.

And the reason you are maybe receiving more negative rep than others (at a guess) is perhaps down to the fact that you have posted over 21,500 times and therefore have a greater forum 'exposure'. Therefore your name comes into contact with people who abuse the system more than someone like me.

I think the positive rep that you get more than likely balances out the arseholes. ;)

For sure Andy :up:

I'm not at all worried that I'm going to start getting red pages or anything or in fact how many green pages I have. I just don't feel that people should start using the rep function as a way to get at people and try to cause them grief. If you have that much of a problem with someone you should have to guts to say it on the forum or at least in a PM. Giving someone negative rep for no good reason other than you just don't like them is just childish and spineless. I do hope that childish abuse like this doesn't lead to an otherwise very cool and useful function being taken away from the forums like polls were all those years ago.

Knocker69
10th December 2006, 22:57
Forgive my ignorance, but what is rep and why is it an important, cool and useful function?

BeansBeansBeans
10th December 2006, 23:29
I've only got one bit of rep and I don't understand the comment.

viper_man
11th December 2006, 00:57
I dont mind negative or positive rep, as long as the person giving it is sensible enough to be able to give a reason - otherwise dont bother. Particularly when its negative.

BeansBeansBeans
11th December 2006, 01:13
I dont mind negative or positive rep, as long as the person giving it is sensible enough to be able to give a reason - otherwise dont bother. Particularly when its negative.

Yep, I would only give positive rep if I strongly agreed with a post, and negative rep only if a post was particularly offensive or unreasonable.

It's being over-used at the moment, like a new toy, but the novelty will soon wear off.

Alfa Fan
11th December 2006, 01:15
How can you view what reputation you've been given and from whom?

Daniel
11th December 2006, 01:18
Yep, I would only give positive rep if I strongly agreed with a post, and negative rep only if a post was particularly offensive or unreasonable.

It's being over-used at the moment, like a new toy, but the novelty will soon wear off.
When it happens like that it's great :up: People new to the forum find it somewhat easier to sniff out the bad eggs of the forum and also the people who are a bit more helpful :)

I'm somewhat over my post of 3 hours ago but still find it a bit irritating :p

Just checked and I got some bad rep but quite legitimately :uhoh:

BeansBeansBeans
11th December 2006, 01:21

Click on private messages, and then control panel. It appears below your list of subscribed threads.

Thats how I've been doing it anyway.

Alfa Fan
11th December 2006, 01:25
I see thanks.

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 01:27
does anyone else get netural reps. I keep getting grey boxes in my reputation box,

kabouter
11th December 2006, 07:25
does anyone else get netural reps. I keep getting grey boxes in my reputation box,

Yes, I've only got grey ones. I still don't get the whole reputation system, and I noticed Daniel has lost two green boxes overnight - maybe somebody didn't agree with his postings in this thread?

odykas
11th December 2006, 21:05
Evil rep (Daniel's)

Daniel
11th December 2006, 21:22
Storm = Sales rep?
Evil rep = Storm? :p

odykas
11th December 2006, 21:41
Storm == Sales person? http://www.adslgr.com/forum/images/smilies/hmmm.gif

We call them cheaters/liars! :D

Hazell B
11th December 2006, 21:46

It's funny you should ask.
If they don't put their name, you can't track who it's from - unless you've got half a brain and just know ;)

306 Cosworth
11th December 2006, 22:00
I've got 294 rep points atm, but what the hell does that mean? :s

donKey jote
11th December 2006, 22:28
that means you're on a distinguished road, whatever that means :s

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

AndySpeed
11th December 2006, 22:42
I'm getting messages claiming that I must 'spread the reputation around before giving it to '...' again', yet I have never given reputation to said person anyway! :s

schmenke
11th December 2006, 23:10
I just noticed that there is now a "Rate Thread" option. Does this rating affect in any way the thread starters rep?
Also, is there a way to view the results of the thread rating?

Daniel
12th December 2006, 00:04
I'm getting messages claiming that I must 'spread the reputation around before giving it to '...' again', yet I have never given reputation to said person anyway! :s
Perhaps your significant other is using your account :p

Caroline got messages like that on the weekend because I gave Schmenke some rep for a post of his :angel:

ST205GT4
12th December 2006, 07:32
It all seems pretty pointless to me. Seems a bit weird to be rated as an "unknown quantity" when I've been posting on these boards for somewhere around 12-18 months.

Bizarre and pointless.

Mark
12th December 2006, 09:16
Switched it off for the time being as it was getting pretty mental. I might bring it back should I find a way to tone it down a little.

555-04Q2
12th December 2006, 09:24
It all seems pretty pointless to me. Seems a bit weird to be rated as an "unknown quantity" when I've been posting on these boards for somewhere around 12-18 months.

Bizarre and pointless.

:up: Agree 100% :up:

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 10:14
Switched it off for the time being as it was getting pretty mental. I might bring it back should I find a way to tone it down a little.

How was it getting mental?

Ranger
12th December 2006, 10:21
People getting 6 green boxes overnight was pretty mental.

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 10:24
Still not seeing the real problem?

555-04Q2
12th December 2006, 10:25
People getting 6 green boxes overnight was pretty mental.

Amen ;)

Mark
12th December 2006, 10:28
How was it getting mental?

Because I logged in this morning to find people had gained about 10 boxes overnight, to my mind it should take about a year to get that much.

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 10:29
Because I logged in this morning to find people had gained about 10 boxes overnight, to my mind it should take about a year to get that much.

I quite agree :up: :)

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 10:31
Well, most of us didn't, and to be honest - Does it really matter either way? Wasn't it supposed to be just a harmless bit of fun anyway?

555-04Q2
12th December 2006, 10:33
Still not seeing the real problem?

I think mates were reping up mates only no matter the post content.

pino
12th December 2006, 10:35
Well, most of us didn't, and to be honest - Does it really matter either way? Wasn't it supposed to be just a harmless bit of fun anyway?

Donnie, I agree with Mark because it had turned out into a joke, and I really hope we won't get it back...sorry :)

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 10:37
So wouldn't it just settle down eventually anyway? Its a bit of fun, right?

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 10:39
Donnie, I agree with Mark because it had turned out into a joke, and I really hope we won't get it back...sorry :)

I find it highly amusing that a bunch of - and I use this term as loosely as possible - ADULTS - were unable to get to grips with a simple bit of fun :D

Mark
12th December 2006, 10:39
I'll look into bringing it back but in a system whereby it takes much longer to earn each box.

At the moment they've hard coded it which make it tricky to alter.

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 10:42
I find it highly amusing that a bunch of - and I use this term as loosely as possible - ADULTS - were unable to get to grips with a simple bit of fun :D

A simple peice of fun you seem so upset to temporarily loose... ;)

306 Cosworth
12th December 2006, 10:43
Bring the boxes back :D I'm with Donnie on this :up:

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 10:46
I was curious, is that wrong? :D

Gibbsy
12th December 2006, 10:49
I dont need green boxes to tell me who to dislike.

Valve Bounce
12th December 2006, 11:04
I havn't the foggiest idea what you guys are talking about. :confused:

jens
12th December 2006, 11:11
One question. How many "reputation adding" votes did a person need to get a green box?

What about making it about hundred (or even thousand) times tougher to get a green box. Like some got 8 (?!) boxes or something like that in a couple of days or even during one evening. If you need to get a full thousand votes to get a green box, then it might take nearly a year. :) Depeding on person of course, but not less than a month anyway. :p :

Mark
12th December 2006, 11:13
One question. How many "reputation adding" votes did a person need to get a green box?

What about making it about hundred (or even thousand) times tougher to get a green box. Like some got 8 (?!) boxes or something like that in a couple of days or even during one evening. If you need to get a full thousand votes to get a green box, then it might take nearly a year. :)

Exactly. That's how I'd like it to work, but it seemed that the green boxes were reputation power, not reputation itself :s . I had changed it so you needed a reputation score of 256,000 to get maximum boxes but it didn't seem to change anything. Now I know that's because it was all hard coded. Have a cunning plan to make it work the way I want it, but no time today, as I'm going for my christmas party in a minute :p

DonnieDarco
12th December 2006, 11:18
Cunning plans are always good :D

Valve Bounce
12th December 2006, 12:06
Can somebody please to me what this is all about?

Storm
12th December 2006, 12:11
ody what ? :s

Daniel I guess you can't see who the reps are from eh? Nice :p :

EuroTroll
12th December 2006, 12:30

I noticed one member's tune change quite significantly after he realized that posting in an insulting manner makes his boxes go red. I'd be nice have it back IMO, if Mark can fix it. Should make it easier for the Mods in the long run, too.

BeansBeansBeans
12th December 2006, 12:36
Credit to Mark for getting rid of it, it was being overused.

Daniel
12th December 2006, 12:49
I noticed one member's tune change quite significantly after he realized that posting in an insulting manner makes his boxes go red. I'd be nice have it back IMO, if Mark can fix it. Should make it easier for the Mods in the long run, too.
That's the way it's meant to run. Sadly people are giving it to friends purely because they're friends and not because they've said something which is worth some positive rep. Then people seem to be all to happy to give out negative rep for no real reason. Twice I've had to give out + rep to people because someone has been having a laugh or just being rude and have given perfectly reasonable negative rep and the poor person ends up red squares and look like they're not a nice person.

When I saw that the new forum had a rep function I thought to myself that it was a good thing but sadly people don't seem to understand it and are abusing/misusing it. It seems to me that people aren't sensible enough to use the rep function in the way it was meant to be used :) If this continues to be the case I'm all for it going in the bin permanently.

I even saw Pino get a red square as well and I've not seen him be insulting or rude to anyone lately. I don't always agree with Pino but I'm not going to give him - rep because of that....... :rolleyes:

P.S Pino. Before I could give you + rep I found you'd disabled it for yourself anyway :p

AndySpeed
12th December 2006, 12:55
Not everyone is giving rep on the same grounds anyway. I feel that some people are positive 'repping' their mates just for making a funny or clever post, which really doesn't say a lot.

After having considered the pros and cons of the system, I think I'm going to sit out of giving any rep to anyone from now on.

By the way, you can still view people's reputation power in their profiles ;)

janneppi
12th December 2006, 13:13
Now that rep is gone, we can continue the correct way of measuring member value, their postcount. :D

Daniel
12th December 2006, 13:13
Be quiet n00b! :p

RaceFanStan
12th December 2006, 13:55
For years we had the Senior Member rating system based on post count.
It was accepted even though some people felt there should have been additional levels.
(Me included)

Basing a rating system on other people's opinions hardly seems fair to the less flambouyant.
A post count rated system makes more sense as people who stay with a forum should be recognized.
Afterall the people who make the posts are the ones who keeps the forum moving.

AndySpeed
12th December 2006, 14:02
Both systems have their merits - someone who posts lots (and there's no-one so much as you Stan) is supporting the forum and the very basics of what is required, and so should get some credit for that.
But people shouldn't just be rewarded on the number of posts, as members who have made thousands of posts can also sometimes come out with absolute rubbish.

Having a reputation system means that a new member can come along and make very few posts and instantly begin to gain reputation, despite not really contributing much to the flow and continuation of discussion.

There should really be something more advanced, like a formula, that considers posts counts, number of years on the forum and member reputation, although I know that this is not possible. ;)

janneppi
12th December 2006, 14:19
I really think the best way is the old fashioned way humanity has been doing this for several years.
It's called memory.
I was told it works something like this, you see a someone who doesn't act like a moron, perhaps you remember this the next time you meet him/her. In time as you interact with them more your opinion of them gets more accurate.
Reputation bar sounds putting a note on someones back. :)
Better word for post count would be a no-life indicator.

race aficionado
12th December 2006, 14:19
I havn't the foggiest idea what you guys are talking about. :confused:

try this Valve:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112699

Dave B
12th December 2006, 14:20
For years we had the Senior Member rating system based on post count.
It was accepted even though some people felt there should have been additional levels.
(Me included)

Basing a rating system on other people's opinions hardly seems fair to the less flambouyant.
A post count rated system makes more sense as people who stay with a forum should be recognized.
Afterall the people who make the posts are the ones who keeps the forum moving.

What about the idea that we're all equal? Sorry, but I don't buy the idea that just becuase you've made a lot of posts you're anything special. Heck, I'm in the top ten, but I don't expect a medal.

Some people will like my style of posting and agree with my opinions, others will think I'm a tool. I credit them with enough intelligence not to need telling what to think.

RaceFanStan
12th December 2006, 14:24
....But people shouldn't just be rewarded on the number of posts, as members who have made thousands of posts can also sometimes come out with absolute rubbish......
If someone is posting rubbish, they should be warned by a PM from that forum's moderator.
If that person persists in posting "rubbish", then disciplinary action should be enforced.

But don't forget that one man's trash can be another man's treasure.
It has to be left-up to the moderator as to what is "rubbish" & what is sparking useful conversation.

One member may not like the topic of conversation but that doesn't make it "rubbish".
A member needs to avoid any thread that he/she finds offensive.
Report the post/thread to a moderator & let them decide if the post/thread has merit.

RaceFanStan
12th December 2006, 14:32
What about the idea that we're all equal? Sorry, but I don't buy the idea that just becuase you've made a lot of posts you're anything special. Heck, I'm in the top ten, but I don't expect a medal.

Some people will like my style of posting and agree with my opinions, others will think I'm a tool. I credit them with enough intelligence not to need telling what to think.
I can eagerly accept the idea we are all equal.
I was only saying a post count rating system was better than a reputation rating system.
I do like the idea of NO rating much better. :D :up:

Daniel
12th December 2006, 14:34

So true. I still think it was a good idea for people to get positive feedback for posting something good and so on.

But your comments about people being equal make me see it in a different light. I would have for the forum to become a place where there's a pecking order of sorts where people are afraid to speak out against the people with lots of rep. That would be a pity because we are all fairly equal these days :)

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 14:46
What about the idea that we're all equal? Sorry, but I don't buy the idea that just becuase you've made a lot of posts you're anything special.

You get my vote, sir Brockman...

It should be the post content that matters rather than the ego of who posted it.

Daniel
12th December 2006, 14:48
You're nearly on 5000 there Nitromaster! :eek:

martinbalmer
12th December 2006, 15:24
You're nearly on 5000 there Nitromaster! :eek:

This is my 5,000th post. :D

Dave B
12th December 2006, 15:47
Congratulations on the 5000 :D :up:

Now you're almost one-third as important as me :p

schmenke
12th December 2006, 17:10
Perhaps a poll?... Rep system or no rep system?

P.s. Congrats Nitro :D

grassrootsracer
12th December 2006, 19:32
It seems the "blooming green things" have disappeared, but the rep system still works. I like that. It'd be neat to see who left positive comments, though.

donKey jote
12th December 2006, 21:52
edit... daniel read your pm :)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Valve Bounce
12th December 2006, 21:57
This whole thing appears to me to be some form of trivia; is that right?

Hazell B
12th December 2006, 21:58
They've gone!

Thanks Mark :up:

harsha
13th December 2006, 04:09
so there's no spectacular aura about some people now :D

harvick#1
13th December 2006, 04:39
ah damn

Storm
13th December 2006, 07:27
This is my 5,000th post. :D
you had Daniel's name in it !! :eek:

congrats anyways :)

Mark
13th December 2006, 07:57
If that person persists in posting "rubbish", then disciplinary action should be enforced.

Many people post poor quality stuff on the forum which doesn't warrant a warning. If that were the case I'd have to warn 90% of the members ;) :p

555-04Q2
13th December 2006, 13:20
Many people post poor quality stuff on the forum which doesn't warrant a warning. If that were the case I'd have to warn 90% of the members ;) :p

Like me, all I post is rubbish :p :

martinbalmer
13th December 2006, 13:24
Like me, all I post is rubbish :p :

and unwitty remarks in threads... just like me :p :

donKey jote
13th December 2006, 21:30
I agree :p :

Bezza
13th December 2006, 23:39
I only just cottoned onto the rep thing and now its gone already! Good idea but I can see how it would be misused. I see we can still give feedback rep which is good little mini-PM thing.

Daniel
14th December 2006, 23:30
and it continues. Got called a wayne kerr for this post http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153072#post153072 :rolleyes:

Someone obviously doesn't like the rep function and is trying to get it removed from the forums :rolleyes:

hammer
15th December 2006, 00:04
maybe it isnt the rep function they dont like

Daniel
15th December 2006, 00:07
Well that's rather obvious. But this forum doesn't encourage people going about swearing at each other.

AndySpeed
15th December 2006, 00:16
The Rep function isn't intended to be an anonymous abuse feature.

I hope that admins have the ability to see who rep-ped who, which I believe they do.

Daniel
15th December 2006, 01:33
Well if they can then it's a good test of the yellow card/red card system ;)

Will look something like http://www.sephiroth.ws/forums/images/buttons/redcard.gif or http://www.sephiroth.ws/forums/images/buttons/yellowcard.gif next to someones post if it's made public :)

Daniel
15th December 2006, 01:35
I only just cottoned onto the rep thing and now its gone already! Good idea but I can see how it would be misused. I see we can still give feedback rep which is good little mini-PM thing.
You can still be given rep and give rep. It's just not visible unless you go into your usercp :)

janneppi
15th December 2006, 08:25
and it continues. Got called a wayne kerr for this post http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153072#post153072 :rolleyes:

Someone obviously doesn't like the rep function and is trying to get it removed from the forums :rolleyes:
And there i was, writing that name into google looking who he was until it dawned on me... :D

RaceFanStan
15th December 2006, 13:39
You can still be given rep and give rep. It's just not visible unless you go into your usercp :)
Not any longer, it seems someone has chosen to stop it completely. :s
Now when you try to give rep you get a pop-up :
"You have given too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

IMO the people who regularly support this forum should be recognized for their involvement.
Though some people received more rep than was expected it doesn't make it wrong.

We gave up some things when we went to the new forum ...
re: Senior Member or our special titles & our gold pages to start.
Rep gave the posters a little bonus but that isn't acceptable I guess. :s

The new forum is great, I don't understand why it has to be controlled with an iron fist ... :s

Dave B
15th December 2006, 19:17
IMO the people who regularly support this forum should be recognized for their involvement.
What is it with this "supporting the forum" business? If you want to support the forum, pay for some of the bandwidth or don't make hundreds of O/T posts which drain it.

Daniel
15th December 2006, 19:20
Says Brockman :p

schmenke
15th December 2006, 19:25
And there i was, writing that name into google looking who he was until it dawned on me... :D

:laugh:

schmenke
15th December 2006, 19:27
...The new forum is great, I don't understand why it has to be controlled with an iron fist ... :s

Mark's a communist! :s hock: :D :p :

RaceFanStan
16th December 2006, 05:22
I guess my reference to an "iron fist" could be misunderstood.
I should have said :
The new forum is great, I don't understand why it has to be so different than the old forum ... :s

We were comfortable with the old forum, this forum is much faster but ...
it isn't really comfortable here because it isn't laid-out like the old forum. :s

A.F.F.
16th December 2006, 11:24
Why won't you guys say it out loud??

It's the post count that counts ;)

janneppi
16th December 2006, 11:59

Now that rep is gone, we can continue the correct way of measuring member value, their postcount. :D

Too slow. :p :

A.F.F.
16th December 2006, 14:08
;) :laugh: :up:

RaceFanStan
16th December 2006, 19:09

I can honestly say my post count never really mattered to me, I just like to talk.
I make a lot of posts because I always have an opinion & I enjoy "rattling people's cages". ;)
I was glad when I made Senior Member, to me it meant I had achieved something.

I really liked it when I had the Truck Series Champion title but I lost it the next year.

Then last year I was granted permission to make my own title.
For a while I was the "Forum Bad Boy", then when I passed Mark I became "Numero Uno".
I no longer have the privledge to make my own title, I guess I lost that when we moved here. :s
(Maybe I'll get it back later, at least I hope so.)

I liked having a title because it gives me a bit of recognition.
A title sets me apart from everyone else, it makes me special.

When we came here all that was available was the rep.
Because it didn't meet approval it was hidden away. :s

harvick#1
16th December 2006, 21:41
it sure makes me feel special

Speedworx
16th December 2006, 22:49
I'm never special :(

A.F.F.
17th December 2006, 09:05
I can honestly say my post count never really mattered to me, I just like to talk.
I make a lot of posts because I always have an opinion & I enjoy "rattling people's cages". ;)

I really liked it when I had the Truck Series Champion title but I lost it the next year.

Then last year I was granted permission to make my own title.
For a while I was the "Forum Bad Boy", then when I passed Mark I became "Numero Uno".
I no longer have the privledge to make my own title, I guess I lost that when we moved here. :s
(Maybe I'll get it back later, at least I hope so.)

I liked having a title because it gives me a bit of recognition.
A title sets me apart from everyone else, it makes me special.

When we came here all that was available was the rep.
Because it didn't meet approval it was hidden away. :s

Obviously I was joking RaceFanStan :D

However, I know what you mean. I had a title too (Senior Spartacus), for about three weeks and then the forum upgraded. Bummer, that's all I can say :(

janneppi
17th December 2006, 09:18

Holy contradiction Batman!
The diabolical Poster says something and then the opposite, in the same post.

:D

pino
17th December 2006, 12:26
Obviously I was joking RaceFanStan :D

However, I know what you mean. I had a title too (Senior Spartacus), for about three weeks and then the forum upgraded. Bummer, that's all I can say :(

It's not the title that makes a forumer special...to me You still are special ;)

A.F.F.
17th December 2006, 12:49
It's not the title that makes a forumer special...to me You still are special ;)

:)

Cheers pino. You always manage to bring a smile on my face :up:

janneppi
22nd December 2006, 10:10
I'm sure it's been mentioned here somwhere, is the rep thingy anynomous, i have three of these gems given to me and there aren't any names on them. I know that a another forum that uses a similar software the rep giver name is/can be visible.

Just for X-Masses sake

Just checked and I got some bad rep but quite legitimately :uhoh:
In the words of Jim Carrey in Liar liar.
It was me! :p :

Hazell B
22nd December 2006, 19:39
The ones who want to sign their name, do. The ones who wish to remain anonymous do so (bet they mainly hand out red that way, the chickens :p : ).

It's up to whoever sends it, if they realise their name isn't appearing.

EuroTroll
23rd December 2006, 07:57
The ones who want to sign their name, do.

Is this how the infamous English Good Rep Mafia formed? A small group of people continuously giving positive rep to each other because they knew who had given positive rep to them? "Hey, Jack gave me some good rep yesterday, and Jill a few days ago. Oh, there they are saying something mildly amusing - oh, I must give them good rep for that. They're such good people." :hmph:

The system can only work properly if it's anonymous.

donKey jote
23rd December 2006, 12:11
In the words of Jim Carrey in Liar liar.
It was me! :p :

no, it was me ! :D

Hazell B
23rd December 2006, 17:36
Is this how the infamous English Good Rep Mafia formed? A small group of people continuously giving positive rep to each other ....

Dunno - they won't let me in :p :

I think you can only give good rep to somebody once, anyway. I mistakenly tried to give it to Eki twice for something funny and it wouldn't let me, so I just guess you can't 'swap' rep like that anyhow.

Ian McC
23rd December 2006, 18:36
I mistakenly tried to give it to Eki twice

:erm:

I would of said once was bad enough! :p :

Hazell B
24th December 2006, 20:43
Meanie McC!

I got some of the red stuff for asking Beans to not ruin the free whatsit thread. Mind you, double green came in for the same post, so I guess it sort of cancels itself out after a while :laugh:

Getting to like rep now. It's fun!

RaikkonenRules
25th December 2006, 01:51
That's the way it's meant to run. Sadly people are giving it to friends purely because they're friends and not because they've said something which is worth some positive rep. Then people seem to be all to happy to give out negative rep for no real reason. Twice I've had to give out + rep to people because someone has been having a laugh or just being rude and have given perfectly reasonable negative rep and the poor person ends up red squares and look like they're not a nice person.

When I saw that the new forum had a rep function I thought to myself that it was a good thing but sadly people don't seem to understand it and are abusing/misusing it. It seems to me that people aren't sensible enough to use the rep function in the way it was meant to be used :) If this continues to be the case I'm all for it going in the bin permanently.
:p

Says Daniel, the guy that gives me bad rep for apparently having no taste, at least I think it was him.

Ian McC
25th December 2006, 01:58
Meanie McC!

Surely not, I am lovely :D

RaikkonenRules
25th December 2006, 02:12
Surely not, I am lovely :D

Yes you really are lovely when your drunk :p :

Hazell B
25th December 2006, 15:20
Well, my collection of the red stuff is heaping up to almost Olympic standard now :p :

Sadly, whoever sent the last blob doesn't know English very well :( It's not "Since your enjoying ...." it's "you're" ;) And I am, thank you :laugh:

Daniel, please don't take it so seriously. It's fun, nothing more. I don't judge those with masses of red or green squares as anything more than somebody who is noticed. Doesn't matter what they're noticed for, I'm still capable of making my own mind up about them and know the rest of us are too.

Don't know about anybody else, but I've handed out no red yet, and have no plans to start. I'd rather say what I think openly in a post if it's negative. Green is simply a way to smile as an aside, there's no cash alternative :p :

Cindy_AL
29th December 2006, 12:19
it sure makes me feel special

Yeah, I felt special when I had it too .....until I lost it this yr. :(

Cindy_AL
29th December 2006, 12:21
Oh... I was gonna ask...
Is there a way to see all of your rep comments or can you only see the last 5? I find that in the user CP but I dont see an option to see more.

Bezza
29th December 2006, 16:18
Its a bit silly when I tried to give Hazell some rep just then and it said "You have already added to this users reputation, please give some other people before you add to this user again" or words to that effect.

So I can't give positive rep to someone I want to unless I go and give other people rep. That just incites me to give bad rep for average posts!!

Not only that, I have barely been around recently and last time I added to Hazells rep was about a month ago!

race aficionado
29th December 2006, 22:04
forum friends.
Just stop repping.
If you like what someone said (or don't) and want to express it, just post it in the thread - or do it more personally by sending a p.m.

like in the "olden days" but now with a much faster and cooler forum.

:s mokin:

BeansBeansBeans
29th December 2006, 22:43
I keep getting anonymous rep, some positive, mostly negative! When I give rep I always sign it BBB.

EuroTroll
30th December 2006, 04:41
So I can't give positive rep to someone I want to unless I go and give other people rep. That just incites me to give bad rep for average posts!!

Trying to change the system, eh?! :hmph:

When I give rep I always sign it BBB.

Trying to give tips to new recruits, eh?! :hmph:

It's infamous English Good Rep Mafia, I tell you! Trying to crawl out from under the floor boards (where it belongs) and become a serious influence on forum policies. :hmph:

Beware, good fellow forumers, for the English Good Rep Mafia is a dangerous beast indeed. Only last week, three EGRM operatives were caught trying to sell bootlegged smilies to unsuspecting children near the Karting forum, according to a reliable source. Rumours of attempts to bribe Moderators with unwarranted words of kindness and praise are circulating in the Asia-Pacific, African & Middle Eastern Rallying forum. :s And now this. The *******s.. The *******s! :hmph:

Daniel
30th December 2006, 13:09
Well a couple of knobheads (or just one methinks) gave me negative rep last night again for no real reason. To me it looks like someone has duplicate logins because I always seem to get 2 loads of negative rep usually less than an hour apart.

Hopefully some fool is going to earn themselves a ban soon :)

Erki
30th December 2006, 13:30
Damn, I just wanted to give Dan some bad rep for being such a fool but have to spread it around for a while now. :D :devil:

It'd be good if we could send that repper a PM, s/he can stay anonymous if s/he wants but I'd like to ping some feedback back to where it came. Understood? :confused:

RaikkonenRules
30th December 2006, 17:23
I keep getting anonymous rep, some positive, mostly negative! When I give rep I always sign it BBB.

Yes I can see your deep in the red, looking at the members list in order of rep i'm 2nd worst behind Grandam, slight improvement as I was the worst. :D

RaikkonenRules
30th December 2006, 17:25
Well a couple of knobheads (or just one methinks) gave me negative rep last night again for no real reason. To me it looks like someone has duplicate logins because I always seem to get 2 loads of negative rep usually less than an hour apart.

Hopefully some fool is going to earn themselves a ban soon :)

Yes, you Mr. 2 red squares. :p :

Hazell B
30th December 2006, 17:31
Am I missing something here? :confused:

When you get bad rep, are some of you so connected to the computer that you're feeling electric shocks or something? :p :

It's not that serious :)

BeansBeansBeans
30th December 2006, 17:32
I'm not bothered by it, really. It's just irksome that people can insult you anonymously.

RaceFanStan
30th December 2006, 18:32
I'm not bothered by it, really. It's just irksome that people can insult you anonymously.
Hey BBB, just so you know I have never given you negative rep.

I recently received a comment that really bothered me.
After a while I decided it was from someone too much of a coward to say it to me directly.
I suspected who it was but I couldn't prove it. :s

I think a lot of the negative rep is a result of the removal of the green leafs.
People were disappointed that they were removed.

I send negative rep only to people who are spamming the forum or say something really stupid.
I send positive rep to anyone who makes a good point. :D

I usually sign my rep too, the anonymous part is a bad feature IMO.

Daniel
30th December 2006, 18:43
Am I missing something here? :confused:

When you get bad rep, are some of you so connected to the computer that you're feeling electric shocks or something?

It's not that serious :)
It's like what BBB says :) I'm not bothered that people don't like me and I'd be somewhat scared if I suddenly became forum favourite because I don't aim to please the masses. I'm bothered that people can swear at me for no good reason or try to irritate me anonymously. I personally don't care what most people think of me. I just don't like that people have turned it into.

Like Stan says it's people being cowards who use it to insult. Like Stan I also give rep to people who make a good point rather than being a friend and only give bad rep if people say something really rude :)

I just don't get why people are so childish and moronic. I've given people I have had big disagreements with rep because they make a good point. I'm not going to be like others and hold a grudge against someone and try to cause them grief. Credit where credit is due I say :up:

Bezza
30th December 2006, 21:05
I got negative rep a few weeks back, the reason was "Filled with hate".

I laughed. Its quite funny how some people take things too personally.

RaikkonenRules
31st December 2006, 11:22

RaikkonenRules
1st January 2007, 20:34
Toady some lousy so ana so gave me bad rep appartley for posting just to boost my post count. :angryfire : It's wasn't as if the 20 or so posts I made at Christmas were filled with rubbish I just had alot to talk about then. :mad:

Drew
1st January 2007, 21:14
I haven't bothered with this repping thing yet. On other forums I rarely bother to do negative rep, only ever do positive :)

Hazell B
2nd January 2007, 17:18
Toady some lousy so ana so gave me bad rep appartley for posting just to boost my post count.

I expect it's been sent by some people for less - at least it beats the laughable "because your enjoying rep so much" I was sent by some sad person ;)

oily oaf
2nd January 2007, 18:50
I must confess that I've only ever graced one poster with "rep" as I find it a bit infantile TBH. (stares ruefully at rep table as name plummets into relegation zone) and that was to dear old Eki who posted something which made me chuckle.
I must confess I was a bit non plussed however when I discovered that some sensitive soul had given me a big fat negative for stating that the England cricket team should have their collective trousers set alight.
"Disgusting" was the term used to describe my rather well thought out suggestion.
Now if he'd been making an obsevation about their performances thus far in The Ashes I could understand it.
Ag ag aga ag ag ag ag etc

Daniel
2nd January 2007, 19:01
Hehehe :p

Come on Oily you know that it's in your blood to lose ;) Don't be telling me that my hybrid South African/Australianness doesn't mean I'm more genetically able to win. :p

BeansBeansBeans
2nd January 2007, 19:01
I got a 'Digusting' too Oily, for suggesting that I would sell my dog for beer.

oily oaf
2nd January 2007, 19:19
I got a 'Digusting' too Oily, for suggesting that I would sell my dog for beer.

I sold my dog for beer once.
Sadly it tasted a bit ruff.

Please feel free to use that one at one of your chattering class soirees Beans old boy ;)

Dan. I wouldn't say your somewhat mongrel racial mix would have any effect other than to give you a predispostion towards burning down townships whilst whistling waltzing Matilda ;)

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to put the Crimbo tree back into the b******d attic :mad:

Daniel
2nd January 2007, 22:09
Dan. I wouldn't say your somewhat mongrel racial mix would have any effect other than to give you a predispostion towards burning down townships whilst whistling waltzing Matilda ;)

Not bliddy likely!

Hazell! I have found the answer to your question about people having more power to give rep :)

Click on this link and it sort of explains it?

http://forums.techarp.com/showthread.php?p=296482

Hazell B
3rd January 2007, 15:51
Click on this link and it sort of explains it?

Nope, didn't understand a word of that :mark:

I'm a plain English sort of a person when it comes to anything with the word 'tech' in it's title :eek:

Thanks anyway!

janneppi
3rd January 2007, 16:55
After a quick look at my conciderable reputation, i've noticed that 3/4 of them have come from posts in this very thread. :)

Drew
3rd January 2007, 17:01
Nope, didn't understand a word of that :mark:

I'm a plain English sort of a person when it comes to anything with the word 'tech' in it's title :eek:

Thanks anyway!

It's not very clear at all.

Essentially, look at the users. "CALLOFDUTY05" has a red bar and reputation of -42 and his rep power is 0. Where as "ChampionLLY" has 3 green bars, 244 reputation and a reputation power of 3.

Because "CALLOFDUTY05" is probably a moron, he can't give as much reputation as "ChampionLLY" because "ChampionLLY" is probably quite useful and not a moron :)

Hazell B
3rd January 2007, 19:26
Ah, all is clear.

Plain English :up: Thanks.

(The fact that I didn't even look at the rep and realise I could work it out for myself, because I'd decided the whole thing looked too techie won't get another mention, eh? :laugh: )

So it's as Daniel said, we more when we're flush and less when we're broke. Good.

Daniel
3rd January 2007, 19:28
It's not very clear at all.

Essentially, look at the users. "CALLOFDUTY05" has a red bar and reputation of -42 and his rep power is 0. Where as "ChampionLLY" has 3 green bars, 244 reputation and a reputation power of 3.

Because "CALLOFDUTY05" is probably a moron, he can't give as much reputation as "ChampionLLY" because "ChampionLLY" is probably quite useful and not a moron :)
What he said. I should have just said to look at the forum more than the posts if that makes sense :)

schmenke
5th January 2007, 16:13
I'm still unclear on how rep works :mark: . What do the points mean (see attached)? Do you get points when someone gives you rep? How may points per rep? Do the points relate to the green thingys? How many points per green thingy?

Inquiring minds want to know!

RaceFanStan
5th January 2007, 16:36
It is unclear how rep is tallied or how many points = green pages. :s
It is kind of a mute issue as the green pages have been hidden away in the member's list. :s

Caroline
5th January 2007, 16:47
It is unclear how rep is tallied or how many points = green pages. :s
It is kind of a mute issue as the green pages have been hidden away in the member's list. :s

I think we should just leave the whole topic alone. It's obviously some form of dark magic and we shouldn't meddle.

Got me flummoxed too btw :p :

schmenke
5th January 2007, 17:59
I think we should just leave the whole topic alone. It's obviously some form of dark magic and we shouldn't meddle...

Mark is a witch! :s hock:

Drew
5th January 2007, 18:20
I'm still unclear on how rep works :mark: . What do the points mean (see attached)? Do you get points when someone gives you rep? How may points per rep? Do the points relate to the green thingys? How many points per green thingy?

Inquiring minds want to know!

How many points do you have?! :eek:

Show off :p :

Erki
5th January 2007, 18:40
Schmenke has over 5000 points? :eek:
I only have 1100 or so points. :( I used to have over 1900 but then some idiots gave me bad rep and see what happened. :mad:

I know one guy who has 1337 points... http://www.thelab.gr/images/smilies/hehe.gif

Daniel
5th January 2007, 18:58
Mark is a witch! :s hock:
Burn him! He's a witch!

Bezza
5th January 2007, 19:48
Getting rep from within the rep thread now, the plot thickens. This time "Thinking your above everyone else". Harsh words from Mr. Invisible!

Some confusing ones as well, got a positive mark but negative comment from some other user!

Daniel
5th January 2007, 19:50
Getting rep from within the rep thread now, the plot thickens. This time "Thinking your above everyone else". Harsh words from Mr. Invisible!

Well obviously at least you know that you're above that spineless fool :)

Hazell B
5th January 2007, 20:12
"Thinking your above everyone else".

That's my phantom bad repper! He's obviously spreading it about so he can send more to his real enemy :eek: Sadly, his ability to work out grammar isn't improving despite my efforts ;)

Right, after extensive research, I'm ready to publish my definitive theory on rep.

You get points, both good and bad, on a sliding scale dependant on how many points the sender has. If you have loads of green, you give stronger rep with higher points. If you have no good rep, or all bad rep, you can't give good rep I don't think. Hence the grey stuff.

Rep is not a limited resource, so far.

If you send somebody rep after exchanging PMs on the subject (in the hope of working out how it works between red and green) they become a loser and do not fulfil their part of the bargain. Rep is therefore liable to make the friendless even more lonely :)

Am I sounding about right?

schmenke
5th January 2007, 21:04
...Am I sounding about right?

No, just confusing :crazy: :p :

Yeah, I have over 5,000pts but I really have no idea what that means :mark: . Is that a lot? Besides, I believe that a certain amount of black magic has contributed to that tally :p : .

bowler
5th January 2007, 21:21
if you can't turn the points into cash, there isn't much point in worrying about them at all.

A.F.F.
5th January 2007, 21:51
No, just confusing :crazy: :p :

Yeah, I have over 5,000pts but I really have no idea what that means :mark: . Is that a lot? .

I dunno, I have 45 :D

RaikkonenRules
5th January 2007, 22:16
Schmenke has over 5000 points? :eek:
I only have 1100 or so points. :( I used to have over 1900 but then some idiots gave me bad rep and see what happened. :mad:

I know one guy who has 1337 points... http://www.thelab.gr/images/smilies/hehe.gif

and I have over 5000 bad points :mad:

Drew
5th January 2007, 23:25
I have nothing :p :

Still how did it start, did Mark go round repping a few of the cool people and the cool people started to rep and then it spread like that? :p :

RaikkonenRules
6th January 2007, 10:53
Even more lousy rep. This time for making a joke about a 72 year old entering the Daytona 500. :(

RaceFanStan
6th January 2007, 18:00
RR, it must have been a BAD joke ! :laugh:

RaikkonenRules
6th January 2007, 20:28
Still, no real reason for giving out bad rep. :mad:

RaikkonenRules
6th January 2007, 20:31
Now I've just got bad rep for complaining. :mad: I think I've got a member that's out to get me. :eek:

Anyone want to try and make a guess to who it is.

RaceFanStan
6th January 2007, 20:58
RR, if you have over 5,000 bad rep, my guess would be it is more than 1 person. :eek:

RaikkonenRules
7th January 2007, 12:13
Well these are all coming at one per 'bad post' and I never seem to get more than one a day.

janneppi
7th January 2007, 15:18
RaikkonenRules, you have to respect that kind of determination, even if it's something as silly as this. :D

Daniel
7th January 2007, 17:04
It seems someone is either trying to cause a fight between me and RR or something because I got negative feedback from someone who had a bit of rep power even though I wasn't the one that negative repped RR. Ah well their problem not mine :crazy:

Hazell B
7th January 2007, 18:26
Well these are all coming at one per 'bad post' and I never seem to get more than one a day.

It must be several people because one person cannot keep sending another rep (good included) without sharing it among others aswell. You've got about three or four, at least, getting at you :p :

None of them are me :mark:

btracer
8th January 2007, 19:18
Some confusing ones as well, got a positive mark but negative comment from some other user!

Maybe it was a sarcastic comment mate ;)

RaikkonenRules
8th January 2007, 22:23
It must be several people because one person cannot keep sending another rep (good included) without sharing it among others aswell. You've got about three or four, at least, getting at you :p :

None of them are me :mark:

Good to know :) , not that I ever suspected you ;)

RaikkonenRules
8th January 2007, 22:31
It seems someone is either trying to cause a fight between me and RR or something because I got negative feedback from someone who had a bit of rep power even though I wasn't the one that negative repped RR. Ah well their problem not mine :crazy:

Maybe your right. I admit I once gave you bad rep but it was only in responce to giving me bad rep for having no taste. ;) What's your rep score?

Latest rep update, got 5 different bad reps on Sunday (need a tissue, Daniel loves you :erm: , ohboohoo, hello again and Heard you've been giving me bad rep for no reason) Definately getting suspious that some member(s) are out to get me. If only I knew who it was as hiding behind the rep button is just cowardly. :mad:

RaceFanStan
9th January 2007, 00:27
Looks like RaikkonenRules has taken the lead of the red brigade again. :eek:
He must have rattled the wrong cages. :eek:

RED REP BRIGADE
01. RaikkonenRules
02. grandam
03. tassiedevilAB
04. Robert Ryan
05. Jonesi
06. Mark in Oshawa
07. Subaru WRX
08. BobbyC
09. Mjfan12
10. Labonte Massa
11. SEATFreak
12. Hayden Fan
13. Fangio
14. Gunman
15. stevie_gerrard
16. call_me_andrew
17. real_illusions
18. AndySpeed
19. Captain VXR
20. bowler
21. Blackmister
22. Brother John
23. Bolton Midnight
24. 306 Cosworth
25. AndrewTC
26. gary_580
27. ingepetson
28. AndyRAC
29. dune
30. Bagwan

Daniel
9th January 2007, 08:41
Yes I got "RaikkonenRules loves you" as well as well as "need a tissue?" so it seems like there are either a couple of idiots who are giving out bad rep or there is someone with a duplicate account or two.

schmenke
9th January 2007, 15:33
Time to remove the rep functionality altogether methinks. I don't see it as adding much value to this forum, other than stirring up controversy :mark:

Captain VXR
9th January 2007, 16:11
Time to remove the rep functionality altogether methinks. I don't see it as adding much value to this forum, other than stirring up controversy :mark:

Mads Østberg's Impreza... 30th December 2006 06:59 PM No need to act like a fool
Can the person who sent it PM me as I don't get what they mean? My rep used to be good until smeone sent that coment. I too am fed up with rep :mad:

Erki
9th January 2007, 16:37
Damn, and I thought I was the controversy creator on this forum. Looks like people still love me. :p :

harvick#1
9th January 2007, 16:57
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_balance.gif 9th January 2007 07:52 AM smartass

:p : I feel the love

Erki
9th January 2007, 18:25
2 people have repped(or raped? tough love :p : ) me and my score=self esteem is now way over 3000rpm. Yay! :burnout:

oily oaf
9th January 2007, 18:51

Amen to that Schmenkey.

I was amazed to see Stevie Gerrard in the "Red Rep" list above
Christ I'd feel like I'd just shot Bambi if I pressed the old red button on the kid :s mokin:

I suppose if the function were to be used objectively I could live with it but from what I can gather from this thread it seems to have descended into an infantile ploy by people with the mentality of a pre pubescent amoeba to c*** off their detractors.
Bit sad really.

As you were

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 19:01
Maybe your right. I admit I once gave you bad rep but it was only in responce to giving me bad rep for having no taste. ;)

That's quite interesting. I wonder, young RR, how often you've sent red rep and not signed it? Perhaps some people feel you've sent it to them and are simply returning it ... just like you've admitted you do.

In fact, I'm now wondering if anyone has so far dared sign bad rep at all? :laugh: None of it sent to me has ever been signed.

I still think you're far too worried about what's basically just a chicken trying to bolster their own ego by being mean and not admitting it. Glad I decided to stay out of red repping everyone and just enjoy the good stuff! You'll know when I disapprove of your posts - I'll say so openly like I do :D

RaceFanStan
9th January 2007, 19:39
It seems getting bad rep encourages giving bad rep .....
If someone gave bad rep & signed it they would be asking to receive the same back. :eek:
It is human nature to want revenge for a perceived injury. :eek:

The rep isn't shown on the forum with your posts as it once was ...
It really doesn't matter how much good or bad rep a person has ...
It is posted on the member's list but most people won't care to look.

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 19:48
It seems getting bad rep encourages giving bad rep .....
If someone gave bad rep & signed it they would be asking to receive the same back. :eek:

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

All the same, if anyone gives good rep and signs it, they should be man or woman enough to sign bad rep too.

RaceFanStan
9th January 2007, 20:12
I see your point Hazell but I doubt anyone will sign bad rep.
It would be like wearing a sign that said "KICK ME" http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/00.gif

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 20:17
Um, but rep doesn't actually hurt like a size nine up your bum, does it? :D

I still say they're chickens for not putting their name to it :p :

Hazell B
9th January 2007, 20:20
Just had a thought :eek:

If anyone's recieved bad rep that is signed, please don't post who sent it - they'll be getting a load back (from those who bother sending it) for being honest!

RaikkonenRules
9th January 2007, 20:24
I'm definately all for this rep thing to be locked up with the key thrown away, as I think I'm easily the biggest victim of rep abuse. :mad:

martinbalmer
9th January 2007, 20:25
I say that it shouldn't be anonymous anyway. If you feel something warrants a comment and a rating, then you should stand by what you write.

Actually, maybe the system would work better if it promoted the idea of rating individual posts (since that is how you award rep after all) rather than being some kind of user-popularity score.

If the good and bed rep a post has attracted was shown with that post, for all to see, with a link to the comments (and who wrote them) it would probably stamp out most abuse of the system.

Then, a user's overall total could appear on their profile as it does now.

RaikkonenRules
9th January 2007, 20:31
Yes I got "RaikkonenRules loves you" as well as well as "need a tissue?" so it seems like there are either a couple of idiots who are giving out bad rep or there is someone with a duplicate account or two.

Well that confirms it then. There are definately some knobhead(s) that are abusing the rep system and are trying to play us agaisnt each other. :mad:

RaikkonenRules
9th January 2007, 20:38
I'm not having a go but now someone's given me bad rep because they wanted to give Agwii bad rep but couldn't because they had to spread some rep around first. OK they could have at least made it good rep. :roll:

schmenke
9th January 2007, 20:54
Perhaps modify the functionality to automatically display the username each time rep is given?... Would eliminate the need for "signatures" and aleviate the chickensh!ts who don't sign negative rep :mark:

martinbalmer
9th January 2007, 20:55
I'm not having a go but now someone's given me bad rep because they wanted to give Agwii bad rep but couldn't because they had to spread some rep around first. OK they could have at least made it good rep. :roll:

To be honest, you could be making yourself a target because you have been quite vocal about it on here. :)

Daniel
9th January 2007, 22:24
Some halfwit gave me negative feedback for the following reason.........

Yeah, sorry mate, but I've really got to send some bad rep to Agwii for posting **** on the Chit Chat forum, but I can't 'cause the man tells me I gotta spread some love around first... so you're sorta it, dude. :cheese:

What a moron......

harvick#1
9th January 2007, 22:53
what a dumbass :rolleyes:

RaceFanStan
9th January 2007, 23:43
Some halfwit gave me negative feedback for the following reason.........

Yeah, sorry mate, but I've really got to send some bad rep to Agwii for posting **** on the Chit Chat forum, but I can't 'cause the man tells me I gotta spread some love around first... so you're sorta it, dude. :cheese:

What a moron......
That's sad Daniel, you would have thought it could have been good rep instead of bad.
Rep is automatically checked on approve, someone has to make an added effort to make it bad.
I'll send you some good rep to make up for someone's shortsightedness.

harvick#1
10th January 2007, 00:08
actually I don't believe it registers if you leave it on approve, you have to click disapprove first then approve again. because alot of boxes come up as neutral and I get those alot.

RaceFanStan
10th January 2007, 01:58
Hmmmmm, could be harv, I have gotten a goodly bit of neutral (gray) too.

EuroTroll
10th January 2007, 08:47
Oh dear, what have I done. :(

RR and Daniel, I'm sorry! Went to a...well, a rather significant celebration yesterday and... well, you get the idea. :erm: Giving bad rep to the two guys who complain most about bad rep just seemed so amusing last night. :p : (Slightly less so, now. :uhoh: )

Thanks, Stan, for fixing it. No hard feelings, I hope. :wave:

Daniel
10th January 2007, 09:17

No hard feelings of course. I've written down in my little black book that you have the guts to own up :p

Seriously though no hard feelings at all :)

Dave B
10th January 2007, 09:25
I'd send you some rep, Daniel, but I need to spread it around first ;)

Now. Who to choose, who to choose.

:s tareup: ...scrolls back up through thread.... :uhoh:

Hazell B
10th January 2007, 23:43
actually I don't believe it registers if you leave it on approve, you have to click disapprove first then approve again. because alot of boxes come up as neutral and I get those alot.

I think that's from people who've only got negative or zero rep, as they only have that to share about - as in they have no green to send. Might be wrong, it's just my guess. Far as I know the approve thing's been working for me.

Brown, Jon Brow
11th January 2007, 21:48
I've gone from having a 'spectacular aura about me' to being infamous :(

viper_man
11th January 2007, 21:55
How do you see how much rep youve got or how youre rated?

harvick#1
11th January 2007, 22:01
quick links, scroll to user control panel

Speedworx
11th January 2007, 23:07
Just seen my rep. WOW, people really hate me around here :(

Erki
12th January 2007, 10:41
Looks like some people don't share my views on NASCAR, endurance racing and rallying (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=163674#post163674), I keep getting neutral and negative rep for that one. Keep cumming! :D

janneppi
12th January 2007, 11:23
As is propably said many times over, that's the bad thing about the system, people give rep according to your opinions on matters, not according to your behaviour.

viper_man
12th January 2007, 11:51
quick links, scroll to user control panel

I can see whos given me rep, but I meant what rating Ive got or whatever its called. Like how we had before when everything was to the side and proper.

pino
12th January 2007, 12:21
As is propably said many times over, that's the bad thing about the system, people give rep according to your opinions on matters, not according to your behaviour.

And that's the main reason to not to take it seriously ! ;)

janneppi
12th January 2007, 13:33
I can see whos given me rep, but I meant what rating Ive got or whatever its called. Like how we had before when everything was to the side and proper.

Click your name on the post, a box opens, then click View Public Profile-link, that opens a view where your green boxes are shown.

viper_man
12th January 2007, 15:53
:bounce: Thank you janeppi

Hazell B
12th January 2007, 17:27
viper, you could also go to members list (top of the page) and when it comes up click on rep at the top of the list. It shows everyone's rep in order from most points down to least. That's also how you get post counts now.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 17:35
Back in the green now :D

agwiii
12th January 2007, 18:33

Bizarre and pointless.

I agree 100%!

:up:

RaceFanStan
12th January 2007, 20:00
It seems that rep is a way of some people sending an anonomous PM.
It's like they throw you a zinger & there is no way you can get them back.
I'm just laughing about it, what else can you do ?
No matter what you say, someone is going to disagree with it. :laugh:

Brown, Jon Brow
12th January 2007, 20:41
Does anyone have any good rep messages.

I have one that says ' How many crap threads are you going to start' :laugh:

Hazell B
12th January 2007, 23:24
I got one (and I know who sent it ;) ) that just says something similar to "billhooks". Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, especially as the sender claims to always sign his rep :laugh:

Speedworx
12th January 2007, 23:27
Does anyone have any good rep messages.

I have one that says ' How many crap threads are you going to start' :laugh:

99.9% of min are bad rep messages. I don't mind that much. I speak my mind on things and people hate that.

RaceFanStan
12th January 2007, 23:46
I've gotten several good messages with the good rep & some :eek: stuff with the bad rep.

My most recent good rep said ZING ... :D
(Thanks, you know who you are (& I do too)

I had better not repeat any of the bad, it would surely earn me bad marks for improper language. :s hock:

Erki
13th January 2007, 06:07
I wonder if bad words are blanked out in rep messages too.

RaceFanStan
13th January 2007, 06:15
Not all of them ! :s hock:

Brown, Jon Brow
13th January 2007, 15:01
How come the top 15 or so members in Reputation order are American :?:

Some kind of Reputation scam :erm:

Hazell B
13th January 2007, 15:19
They aren't, Jon :confused:

Two thirds may be, but five of us most certainly aren't American :p :

RaceFanStan
13th January 2007, 18:31
How come the top 15 or so members in Reputation order are American :?:
Some kind of Reputation scam :erm:
While reputaion is important to Americans they are NOT the top 15 :
01. USA
02. USA
03. USA
04. USA
05. USA
06. UK
07. USA
08. USA
09. USA
10. Canada
11. Wales
12. USA
13. UK
14. Canada
15. USA

Americans currently have the top 5 but that could change.
There is no scam, some people are just more concerned about their reputation than others. :D

agwiii
13th January 2007, 18:55
And that's the main reason to not to take it seriously!

The "reputation" is a way for people to post profane insults. The whole thing should be done away with, for it only adds animosity to this board.

Hazell B
13th January 2007, 19:48
.....it only adds animosity to this board.

No it doesn't, there are far more people with loads of green than loads of red.

It's easy. If you don't like it, ignore it. If you do, enjoy it :D

RaceFanStan
14th January 2007, 06:59
I made an interesting discovery tonight.
If you click on the rep scales in one of YOUR posts
a pop-up will tell you what rep you have received for that particular post.
I found stuff that was said that I had not seen before, it's a cool feature I think. :D

luvracin
15th January 2007, 20:49
I thought this had been disabled. When I click the scales on someones post nothing happens.

luvracin
15th January 2007, 20:54
Addendum: Checking my control panel I see that I have infact recieved a rep.

Apprently I'm a "sexist dog". I assume this stems from a "joke" I made that pales into insignificance compared to comments made by other posters in the past..... hmmm.... Interesting.

Hazell B
15th January 2007, 20:57
Yeah, the red reppers seem to take some things to heart rather too much :p :
Was the joke a good one, though?

agwiii
15th January 2007, 21:56
I made an interesting discovery tonight.
If you click on the rep scales in one of YOUR posts
a pop-up will tell you what rep you have received for that particular post.
I found stuff that was said that I had not seen before, it's a cool feature I think. :D

Nice discovery. Takes away the anonymous nature of the posts.

agwiii
15th January 2007, 21:58
I thought this had been disabled. When I click the scales on someones post nothing happens.

I tried RaceFanStan's trick and it worked. Maybe it's in the wrist? :D

:beer:

Daniel
15th January 2007, 21:59
Yes but it doesn't actually tell you who sent you the rep. You could already see which post you got the rep for before :)

agwiii
15th January 2007, 22:00
They aren't, Jon :confused: Two thirds may be, but five of us most certainly aren't American :p :

I just checked, and all of them are from the lost tribes of Israel!

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 01:54
Looks like RaikkonenRules has taken the lead of the red brigade again. :eek:
He must have rattled the wrong cages. :eek:

RED REP BRIGADE
01. RaikkonenRules
02. grandam
03. tassiedevilAB
04. Robert Ryan
05. Jonesi
06. Mark in Oshawa
07. Subaru WRX
08. BobbyC
09. Mjfan12
10. Labonte Massa
11. SEATFreak
12. Hayden Fan
13. Fangio
14. Gunman
15. stevie_gerrard
16. call_me_andrew
17. real_illusions
18. AndySpeed
19. Captain VXR
20. bowler
21. Blackmister
22. Brother John
23. Bolton Midnight
24. 306 Cosworth
25. AndrewTC
26. gary_580
27. ingepetson
28. AndyRAC
29. dune
30. Bagwan

Well, I think this whole Rep thing is an ego trip for a few people full of a distate for some people to disagree with them. I know of two people that Ihave had run ins with in the last month and all the sudden I am down at bottom. My recent look at the list of bottom posters still has me in the last 10. The top 10? Well one of the two I have had the run in with is in there, and the second is in the second 20 of "top" posters.

Now this by itself is not much, and I started poking fun at my status because I thought it was funny that I had no negative or positive rep for most of December. Now I am lower than whale poop in the Mariana's trench. I think some people need to grow up, and if one is going to disagree with one of my posts, tell me in the rep box who you are.

Failing that, say something to make me change my mind using a debate to do it. Slagging me just cranks me up.....

-2102 pts and counting....someone really needs to get a life....

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 01:57
oh, one more point, I can see one guy in the negative 10 that is pretty much non-offensive. I cant remember in 3 years him saying one thing that anyone should take offense to. Says it all, bin the whole idea, or make negative rep attackers put down WHO they are.....a lot of people are real brave when they wont be confronted.....I dont give rep points to anyone except for positive thoughts........

Erki
16th January 2007, 08:24
Rep shouldn't be anonymous, that's the way it's done in another forum that looks more or less polite.

agwiii
16th January 2007, 13:21
Rep is a bad joke. For example, I know of a thread distorted by one of the forum's favorites. It is hideously misrepresented by it's title, which has almost nothing to do with the thread, yet efforts to point this out have allowed the forum favorite to repeatedly post negative rep. As Rep is implemented here is simply a sneaky and unethical way to strike back at some who disagrees with you.

agwiii
16th January 2007, 14:20
Rep is a bad joke. For example, I know of a thread distorted by one of the forum's favorites. It is hideously misrepresented by it's title, which has almost nothing to do with the thread, yet efforts to point this out have allowed the forum favorite to repeatedly post negative rep. As Rep is implemented here is simply a sneaky and unethical way to strike back at some who disagrees with you.

A classical example is that the above post was given negative Rep by an anonymous poster. When I post Rep - be it positive or negative - I sign it. So, I have to add that as Rep is implemented here, it encourages cowards to lash out. :(

agwiii
16th January 2007, 14:24
oh, one more point, I can see one guy in the negative 10 that is pretty much non-offensive. I cant remember in 3 years him saying one thing that anyone should take offense to. Says it all, bin the whole idea, or make negative rep attackers put down WHO they are.....a lot of people are real brave when they wont be confronted.....I dont give rep points to anyone except for positive thoughts........

Mark, I give you credit for being willing to be a lightening rod for what you believe. Not all people are like you -- they are not fortright. Many live lives controlled by their fears. Those who strike at you with anonymous negative Res are to be pitied, for they are not worthy of you.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th January 2007, 14:33
I've got negative rep for missing the 'N' in my name :(

agwiii
16th January 2007, 15:26
I've got negative rep for missing the 'N' in my name :(

How could you possibly object to such a serious infraction?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

agwiii
16th January 2007, 15:32
Well, I think this whole Rep thing is an ego trip for a few people full of a distate for some people to disagree with them. I know of two people that Ihave had run ins with in the last month and all the sudden I am down at bottom. My recent look at the list of bottom posters still has me in the last 10. The top 10? Well one of the two I have had the run in with is in there, and the second is in the second 20 of "top" posters.

Now this by itself is not much, and I started poking fun at my status because I thought it was funny that I had no negative or positive rep for most of December. Now I am lower than whale poop in the Mariana's trench. I think some people need to grow up, and if one is going to disagree with one of my posts, tell me in the rep box who you are.

Failing that, say something to make me change my mind using a debate to do it. Slagging me just cranks me up.....

-2102 pts and counting....someone really needs to get a life....

Mark - I "know" two of the people on the bottom thirty (excluding you), RaikonenRules and Bagwan. I've disagreed with them on past threads, but in no way should they be on the bottom of the list. I believe we must be able to disagree without reprisals.

agwiii
16th January 2007, 15:36
Mark, I give you credit for being willing to be a lightening rod for what you believe. Not all people are like you -- they are not fortright. Many live lives controlled by their fears. Those who strike at you with anonymous negative Res are to be pitied, for they are not worthy of you.

Hi Mark - to just contine the failure of the system, I just received an anonymous negative Rep for this post. To live as a coward is probably the best punishment for them.

Let's hope that long-haul truck brings you to South Florida! I'll buy you a beer -- of your choice!

:beer:

janneppi
16th January 2007, 16:54
If you mean the DC vs Hill thread, didn't you give me an anynomous bad rep for disagreeing with you there? ;)

DonnieDarco
16th January 2007, 17:03
I've given out precisely one bit of bad rep, about a post in the F1 section that I thought was inflammatory.

I think the vast majority of people are using it sensibly.

As for signing it, I've given out most of my good rep anonymously, so I don't see the difference.

agwiii
16th January 2007, 17:10
If you mean the DC vs Hill thread, didn't you give me an anynomous bad rep for disagreeing with you there? ;)

Janeppi, I'm quite happy to agree or disagree with you in public on the many threads we have shared.

:D

Daniel
16th January 2007, 21:56
I have to disagree. It's not the way rep is "implemented" at all :) it's the morons on the forums who give out negative rep for no reason that are the problem I think it's a great idea but it's the people on this forum who are the problem here :)

Mark in Oshawa
16th January 2007, 22:16
I've given out precisely one bit of bad rep, about a post in the F1 section that I thought was inflammatory.

I think the vast majority of people are using it sensibly.

As for signing it, I've given out most of my good rep anonymously, so I don't see the difference.

The vast majority are sensible Donnie, and I don't mind someone giving me the good rep anonymously, but I wouldn't mind knowing. That said, people running up the negative rep of people for sport need a clue.

I hadn't been on here that much until the last 2 months, and circumstances have had me home. That said, I have always said and stated my opinions and haven't ducked a debate, but most of the time, I have had respect for those who disagreed with me. Lately though, I have come to the conclusion that respect is NOT being returned....

schmenke
16th January 2007, 22:22
...That said, I have always said and stated my opinions and haven't ducked a debate, ....

No kidding Mark! You even have the courage to admit to being a Leafs fan! :s hock: :p :

agwiii
16th January 2007, 22:34
I have to disagree. It's not the way rep is "implemented" at all :) it's the morons on the forums who give out negative rep for no reason that are the problem I think it's a great idea but it's the people on this forum who are the problem here :)

It's probably splitting hairs, but the morons who give out negative Rep for no reason can do this because of the way it's been implemented. That said, it must really suck to be one of those morons. Can you imagine what a wretched life they live? Perhaps they merit our pity rather than condemnation.

luvracin
16th January 2007, 22:37
Right. Now back at home I find full "rep" functionality.

At work, clicking on the scales did nothing, but on my home computer it does.

Carry on.....