PDA

View Full Version : Will Indycar lose Long Beach to F1?

Rex Monaco
1st May 2013, 19:49
More on Formula 1 and Long Beach - Formula 1, Indycar - Motor Sport Magazine (http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/us-scene/indycar/more-on-formula-1-and-long-beach/)

"It’s been reported that Long Beach mayor Bob Foster will fly to the Canadian GP in June to meet with Ecclestone to begin discussions about Bernie’s sales pitch. If that happens, it will be clear the game is on and you can be sure that Ecclestone’s pitch will be lucrative for Long Beach while the global exposure figures the city would receive from a contemporary F1 race would dwarf today’s tepid IndyCar numbers."

If Indycar loses it's second most important race, how long will Indycar survive as a series?

Starter
1st May 2013, 20:50
More on Formula 1 and Long Beach - Formula 1, Indycar - Motor Sport Magazine (http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/us-scene/indycar/more-on-formula-1-and-long-beach/)

"It’s been reported that Long Beach mayor Bob Foster will fly to the Canadian GP in June to meet with Ecclestone to begin discussions about Bernie’s sales pitch. If that happens, it will be clear the game is on and you can be sure that Ecclestone’s pitch will be lucrative for Long Beach while the global exposure figures the city would receive from a contemporary F1 race would dwarf today’s tepid IndyCar numbers."

If Indycar loses it's second most important race, how long will Indycar survive as a series?
There is no way that Long Beach can come up with the $$$ which Bernie would require. Look at it more as a negotiating tactic with the New Jersey organizers.

garyshell
1st May 2013, 21:20
When pigs fly.

There is no way the tax payers of Long Beach will stand for the $$$$$ expenditure that Bernie will demand and finding a corporate sponsor to pick up the tab is a joke of an idea.

Gary

call_me_andrew
1st May 2013, 22:25
Yeah. Long Beach will give Bernie a check for $100 million for a 5-year contract, then no one in F1 will complain about the lack of a complete garage on pit road.

Rollo
2nd May 2013, 03:24
There is already a purpose built GP track in the US which currently hosts an F1 race; they got 117,429 spectators last November.

I'm inclined to agree with garyshell here. They'll build a porcine aviation aerodrome before F1 returns to Long Beach.

AutoSociale
2nd May 2013, 03:31
Beyond the sanction fee, there would be so much work required to change the layout to bring Long Beach up to F1 safety standards. And there may not even be the real estate available to even make those changes especially down by turn one. It's too bad, since it would be amazing seeing F1 racing on the streets of Long Beach

anthonyvop
2nd May 2013, 19:42
porcine aviation aerodrome

HA

Good one :D

heliocastroneves#3
2nd May 2013, 22:01
F1 is supposed to run on boring Tilkedromes, right?

zako85
3rd May 2013, 10:04

It might survive, but in a form similar to say the World Endurance Championship. No one really cares about the championship, except for the 24 Hours of Le Mans race.

FIAT1
3rd May 2013, 15:06
F1 is supposed to run on boring Tilkedromes, right?

No ,they are looking in to perfect street course like Detroit I think.

FIAT1
3rd May 2013, 15:09
Why F1 left in the first place should give an answer to the present question.$$$

Jag_Warrior
3rd May 2013, 17:45
I thought The Penguin and Forsythe sold the Long Beach rights to the IRL/Tony George when the mergification happened. Did something happen that I don't know about, or are they just so dumb that they'd actually sell away the rights to their own race???

FIAT1
3rd May 2013, 18:42
I thought The Penguin and Forsythe sold the Long Beach rights to the IRL/Tony George when the mergification happened. Did something happen that I don't know about, or are they just so dumb that they'd actually sell away the rights to their own race???

No,Penguin and Forsythe kept everything that makes money . TG got a bragging rights......are they just so dumb that they'd actually sell away the rights to their own race? Money does weird things to people. Kevin stated it would be sold if there was enough stupid money,meaning absurd amount of money.