PDA

View Full Version : Is Ron Dennis going to get fired?

gloomyDAY
27th April 2013, 00:36
BBC Sport - McLaren deny that Ron Dennis has been demoted (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/22307813)

McLaren's automotive branch has been shedding cash, but that's expected since it's a new company in a saturated sports car field. Ron Dennis stated that they're expecting to turn a profit this year, so it seems really premature for Ron to get demoted and then fired due to McLaren Automotive being in the red. No, I don't believe he'll get fired, but I do sense that Ron Dennis will be back in F1.

Martin Whitmarsh is driving the McLaren F1 team into the ground. I like the guy, but he's not getting the results expected out of their F1 team. I can see Ron Dennis coming back to the helm of McLaren's F1 department and getting some wins back for the team. McLaren are in a bind because they don't have an engine supplier setup for next season (rumored to be Honda), and they also do not have a title sponsor! They better make changes soon or they'll end up at the back like Williams.

Koz
27th April 2013, 02:48
McLaren are in a bind because they don't have an engine supplier setup for next season (rumored to be Honda), and they also do not have a title sponsor! They better make changes soon or they'll end up at the back like Williams.

Um, Merc and McLaren have a contract for next year. It's for 2015 that might be an issue, which could be when Honda comes in.

markabilly
27th April 2013, 18:11
ron's role seems to be getting smaller and smaller at Mac

gloomyDAY
28th April 2013, 04:55
Um, Merc and McLaren have a contract for next year. It's for 2015 that might be an issue, which could be when Honda comes in.Yeah, you're right, but McLaren hasn't announced a title sponsor for 2014. I think it's worrisome for a McLaren to have compounding problems in such a short amount of time.

Rollo
28th April 2013, 05:22
Ron Dennis along with TAG and some Bahrainian holding company owns McLaren. Ron retained shares when McLaren merged with his Project Four.

Is gloomy suggesting that Ron Dennis would fire Ron Dennis?

Koz
28th April 2013, 05:35
but McLaren hasn't announced a title sponsor for 2014. I think it's worrisome for a McLaren to have compounding problems in such a short amount of time.

Just because they haven't announced a title sponsor doesn't mean they don't have one.

Would Vodafone be happy if Telmex/America Movil is to be announced for next year?
I think that might just be it.

Their performance this year is about the same as 2009, it's not a complete disaster, and with a new car will have more development potential as the season progresses and will be one of the tops cars in the next few races as others slow down.

Just because Ron demoted himself, just as planned, I don't see understand what the drama here is.
A slow week in here?

*YAWN*

Rollo
28th April 2013, 08:04
Would Vodafone be happy if Telmex/America Movil is to be announced for next year?
I think that might just be it.

This is whilst we was still at Sauber:
Sergio Perez: The Mexican Kid With Billionaire Backing and Ferrari Nurturing - International Business Times UK (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/319308/20120326/formula-one-driver-sergio-perez-profile.htm)
Some controversy surrounded Perez initially, as he is sponsored by the telecommunications giant Telmex, which is owned by the world's richest man and fellow Mexican Carlos Slim. Slim's patriotism towards Perez and his £44bn personal fortune made some suggest that Perez was a pay driver - someone who may not be good enough to race in F1, but who can bring enormous funding to help his team improve.
- International Business Times, 26 Mar, 2012

I think that Koz is very much on to something here. Who was it that was seen roaming the paddock in Bahrain? It wasn't Carlos Slim was it? Hmm.

I also note that it was "Auto Motor und Sport" which made the announcement about Ron Dennis; which given the nature of the publication has to run rumours in order to keep up circulation.

TheFamousEccles
28th April 2013, 08:23
Carlos Slim - conjures up images from a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western. Though the reality is quite different, I'm sure, I still get Ennio Moriccone playing in my head when I come across this fellow's name :D

Knock-on
28th April 2013, 22:11
I dont know about Carlos but there is synergy there. Honda is very likely.

As for Ron back in F1. Unlikely but i would like that.

DexDexter
30th April 2013, 12:08
Ron Dennis along with TAG and some Bahrainian holding company owns McLaren. Ron retained shares when McLaren merged with his Project Four.

Is gloomy suggesting that Ron Dennis would fire Ron Dennis?

Yep. Ron Dennis basically is Mclaren. He's also been a partner with Ojjeh for a very long time, I don't see that relationship suddenly turning sour, no matter what people write. This thing is just hot air.

acescribe
2nd May 2013, 09:24
And plus Ron is 66 years old next month, I can see him winding down more and more.

henners88
2nd May 2013, 09:51
Ron is an incredibly wealthy man who has transformed McLaren into a very successful and respectable company. This planned demotion is what it is. Back in 2010 Ron made clear his plans to step down a level but remains as a significant shareholder. McLaren is still very much Ron's baby, and its good he is planning for its future long beyond his direction. This is a bit of a non story really.