PDA

View Full Version : DOTD Bahrain

gm99
21st April 2013, 15:07
Vettel - took the lead early on and never looked back.

Grosjean (who has yet to cause a collision in 2013) and DiResta (who would have deserved a podium today) also deserve to be mentioned, as does Alonso, who salvaged P8 in spite of four pit stops and having no DRS throughout most of the race.

donKey jote
21st April 2013, 15:12
yep

N4D13
21st April 2013, 15:12
Vettel, of course. It is usually said that he can't fight and that he always storms from pole and that's that, but, well, he did everything he had to in the first couple of laps to make sure he got into P1. We'll never know if Alonso could have challenged for the win, but, well, it looks rather unlikely to me.

donKey jote
21st April 2013, 15:15
I doubt Alonso could have held him today. A podium however... :dozey:

Tazio
21st April 2013, 15:16
Vettel, and I think The Boss had a very good race!

A FONDO
21st April 2013, 15:18
This time my choice is Grojan.

Yes, only because his car was far superior here, like last year.

DiResta (who would have deserved a podium today) also deserve to be mentioned
For what? For starting from 5th and finishing in 4th after Alonso hit trouble? No thanks.

longisland
21st April 2013, 15:18
Di Resta. A strong race only to miss out of the podium in the last stint. Grosjean for a strong and controlled race finish after some great race in the middle stint. Checo for providing many of the race highlights to his sponsor señor Slims

truefan72
21st April 2013, 15:19
Grosjean
DiResta
perez
Alonso
Hamilton
Kimi
in that order

ShiftingGears
21st April 2013, 15:50
I thought Perez did well - he really took his driving up a notch compared to the rest of the season so far.

pino
21st April 2013, 16:23
Di Resta followed by Grosjean.

wedge
21st April 2013, 16:33
In no particular order: PDR, Grosjean, Perez, Hamilton, Alonso, Bottas

longisland
21st April 2013, 16:40
Guys, be nice. Seb deserves an honorary mention. It was vintage Vettel after he regained the 2nd spot and has the race bagged having taken the lead from Rosberg.

truefan72
21st April 2013, 16:53
Guys, be nice. Seb deserves an honorary mention. It was vintage Vettel after he regained the 2nd spot and has the race bagged having taken the lead from Rosberg.

He had the race in control from the begining, the only thing he did was overtake Alonso, after Alonso overtook him from the start, then overtook a sitting duck Rosberg

Then went on an easy sunday drive in the best car, pushing when he wanted to and setting any lapt time he desired. All while running in clean air and under zero pressure the entire race.
This race says more about Webber than Vettel IMO

Vintage Vettel indeed. Cruising to victory in the best car. with no challengers behind

henners88
21st April 2013, 16:55
Di Resta, Grosjean, Alonso and Hamilton for me. I was gutted for Fernando early on but he really got his head down for some valuable points some really good duels today and done exciting racing. An enjoyable race. :)

faster69
21st April 2013, 16:56

Grosjean (who has yet to cause a collision in 2013) and DiResta (who would have deserved a podium today) also deserve to be mentioned, as does Alonso, who salvaged P8 in spite of four pit stops and having no DRS throughout most of the race.

but that ferrari was the best car in terms of pure race pace today (and should have been on pole) and he effectively on had one extra pit stop because one was for tyres.

vettel set it up early with that incredible pass on alonso. flawless drive.

faster69
21st April 2013, 17:01
He had the race in control from the begining, the only thing he did was overtake Alonso, after Alonso overtook him from the start, then overtook a sitting duck Rosberg

Then went on an easy sunday drive in the best car, pushing when he wanted to and setting any lapt time he desired. All while running in clean air and under zero pressure the entire race.
This race says more about Webber than Vettel IMO

Vintage Vettel indeed. Cruising to victory in the best car. with no challengers behind

lotus was quick but kimi and grosjean shot themselves in the foot with their poor qualifying. the ferrari had quicker race pace than the red bull. vettel just gets it done.

f1 is so close at the front of the field. you guys talk like vettel is in a 96 williams. never been closer and the best man is winning.

tfp
21st April 2013, 18:31
Vettel was clearly on another planet today, even though he has a huge advantage by having by far the quickest car on the field. It still takes a good driver to keep it togethor and not make any mistakes.
Di Resta and grosjean were brilliant aswel.

DexDexter
21st April 2013, 19:12
Vettel, Kimi, Di Resta. A good performance from Grosjean as well, but let's remember he came home some 10 seconds after his teammate.

dj_bytedisaster
21st April 2013, 19:20

Well, getting past Alonso is an achievement in itself. It's not like Fernando made it easy. Too bad the DRS broke. I would have liked those two to hunt each other down. With Fernando applying pressure, the RB may have cooked the tires, but with Ferrari falling apart, he could run his usual conservative race.
I agree with this race being a desaster for Mark. He was simply nowhere and if there ever was a question why he is the #2 at RB, this race is all the explanation you need.

faster69
21st April 2013, 19:27
Vettel was clearly on another planet today, even though he has a huge advantage by having by far the quickest car on the field. It still takes a good driver to keep it togethor and not make any mistakes.
Di Resta and grosjean were brilliant aswel.

all weekend the lotus and ferrari demonstrated slightly better pace. ferrari and lotus had strong pace in the race. even grosjean got it on the podium. kimi did poorly in qualifying so couldn't challenge for the win. ferrari should have been on pole but alonso screwed up pushing too hard.

Knock-on
21st April 2013, 19:31
I got a few posts in and gave up. Shallow I am :)

Look; PdR did a great job. He's against a very fast team mate but looks like he has his Mojo back. :up:

Lewis was great. Come on Merc, just final push.... Please.

Seb. He just pissed off. The RB is amazing again but he drove it perfectly.

I quite liked Checo as well. He was a liability but great fun. Carefull Martin......

N. Jones
21st April 2013, 20:45
Grosjean. He just flew in the car for once.

steveaki13
22nd April 2013, 07:33
Just as in the Camel thread there are quite a few.

- Vettel - He did have a great car, but in 2 laps he got ahead and then drove a perfect race, Webber showed how its possibleto waste such a car.

Other mentions.
- Raikkonen - Solid job on 2 stops. While others squabbled he calmly rose through the field
- Grosjean - The same. Used the Lotus pace to claim a nice podium.
- Paul di Resta - In a Force India he battled with the leaders all race but thanks to my favorite "Show" aid lost out.
- Hamilton - He stayed calm and drove hard to finish 5th while his pole sitting team mate fell away. Mature drive.
- Perez - As well as some Donkey moments he showed great pace and great fight and it was his best race thus far for Mclaren.
- Alonso - No DRS, he had to fight the old way and did a decent job.
- Maldonado - done OK in a dog of a Williams.
- Pic - Done a Bianchi and got with 10 seconds of the Midfield.
- Chilton - For the weekend. Much closer to Jules.

jens
22nd April 2013, 08:50
I am sorry to say this, but this thread shows the notable bias against Vettel a certain group of people have on this forum. Whenever Vettel wins a race or generally does well, they feel incredibly reluctant in giving him the credit for the achievement. However, whenever someone else wins (like Räikkönen or Alonso so far this season), they get lots of praises, even if this win was achieved in the best car. And Webber got lots of praise for his "moral win" in Malaysia too.

I have noticed already for a long time that Vettel barely gets mentioned in these kind of threads. So a top driver and a triple champion never puts in an impressive drive? Hard to believe, I think.

The Black Knight
22nd April 2013, 09:20
I'll give my DOTD to Vettel. There was no one else there that stood out that much to me, however, Vettel did a fantastic overtake on Alonso and took Rosberg to take the race by the scruff of the neck. Alonso did a good job as well considering his DRS issues which are worth quite a bit of laptime around Bahrain, but Vettel still gets my DOTD - flawless from start to finish, proved he can fight with the best wheel to wheel as he has done a few times already this year and last. He also made his teammate look like a complete moron next to him.

The Black Knight
22nd April 2013, 09:32
I am sorry to say this, but this thread shows the notable bias against Vettel a certain group of people have on this forum. Whenever Vettel wins a race or generally does well, they feel incredibly reluctant in giving him the credit for the achievement. However, whenever someone else wins (like Räikkönen or Alonso so far this season), they get lots of praises, even if this win was achieved in the best car. And Webber got lots of praise for his "moral win" in Malaysia too.

I have noticed already for a long time that Vettel barely gets mentioned in these kind of threads. So a top driver and a triple champion never puts in an impressive drive? Hard to believe, I think.

Perhaps you should question why that is? If a large group of people are biased then it's hardly just coincidence.

As much as I'm not fond of Vettel I'll give him the credit where and when it's due. If I felt he was a true great of the sport and his achievements didn't largely rely on the machinery at his disposal, I'd give him more credit, however, I feel there are two-three drivers on the current grid which would hand his ass on a plate to him were they his teammate in RBR. I might be wrong about this and maybe we'll find out in time that I am. I hope we do.

None of that changes my opinion that he was DOTD yesterday though :)

jens
22nd April 2013, 09:43
Perhaps you should question why that is? If a large group of people are biased then it's hardly just coincidence.

As much as I'm not fond of Vettel I'll give him the credit where and when it's due. If I felt he was a true great of the sport and his achievements didn't largely rely on the machinery at his disposal, I'd give him more credit, however, I feel there are two-three drivers on the current grid which would hand his ass on a plate to him were they his teammate in RBR. I might be wrong about this and maybe we'll find out in time that I am. I hope we do.

None of that changes my opinion that he was DOTD yesterday though :)

This is all well that you recognize a good performance. :) You may think many things, this is not a problem. You may think a driver would struggle in a different circumstance. Anything can happen, I ponder about many things as well. For instance Massa was impressive in 2008, but hasn't shone alongside Alonso. However, it doesn't take anything away from his 2008, he had impressive drives then. Same with Vettel now. He may not be liked or whatever, but if a driver very evidently puts in a good performance and people do not recognize this, it becomes a problem. Not for the driver himself, but for the general assessment and discussion.

The Black Knight
22nd April 2013, 10:03
This is all well that you recognize a good performance. :) You may think many things, this is not a problem. You may think a driver would struggle in a different circumstance. Anything can happen, I ponder about many things as well. For instance Massa was impressive in 2008, but hasn't shone alongside Alonso. However, it doesn't take anything away from his 2008, he had impressive drives then. Same with Vettel now. He may not be liked or whatever, but if a driver very evidently puts in a good performance and people do not recognize this, it becomes a problem. Not for the driver himself, but for the general assessment and discussion.

The whole point of assessment and discussion is for people to share their views discuss their differences. It's only a problem if you have an issue with people's opinions differing from your own. Just because the majority don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean anyone is biased against anyone in particular, it just means there's more discussions to be had or maybe you're wrong ;) You can pick and choose your own battles too. I sometimes stay out of certain threads because I know it would infuriate me to debate with certain people who are so black and white or some people who over elaborate.

jens
22nd April 2013, 10:08
The whole point of assessment and discussion is for people to share their views discuss their differences. It's only a problem if you have an issue with people's opinions differing from your own. Just because the majority don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean anyone is biased against anyone in particular, it just means there's more discussions to be had or maybe you're wrong ;) You can pick and choose your own battles too. I sometimes stay out of certain threads because I know it would infuriate me to debate with certain people who are so black and white or some people who over elaborate.

That's right and usually I don't like to have pointless "battles" about things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Especially nowadays. In the past I have done more than enough of useless arguing, so time to move on. :p :

This time I just pointed out one thing that I have noticed in the long-run already. In my view a significant tendency - but I'll let everyone think of it what they want.

The Black Knight
22nd April 2013, 10:21
That's right and usually I don't like to have pointless "battles" about things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Especially nowadays. In the past I have done more than enough of useless arguing, so time to move on. :p :

This time I just pointed out one thing that I have noticed in the long-run already. In my view a significant tendency - but I'll let everyone think of it what they want.

We get a little more mature as we get a little more seasoned, jens ;)

zako85
22nd April 2013, 10:27
In my opinion all drivers who finished in the top 6 did a good job. They will be proud of this race:

1. Vettel
2. Räikkönen
3. Grosjean
4. Di Resta
5. Hamilton
6. Perez

However: "They're not top secret, I just don't get my legs so high as I'm not a woman," was a pretty stupid joke to say on TV IMO. That's second time Vettel says something so arrogant to David Coulthard during on air interview. While fast, Vettel still does not have the humility and wisdom of a true champion.

AndyL
22nd April 2013, 10:36

On this occasion you might blame FOM - based on watching the TV coverage I'm sure most people were not aware he was even in the race ;) It was a bit of a Heidfeld race for him in Bahrain - good result but no-one noticed!

faster69
22nd April 2013, 10:45
Vettel doesn't compare himself to samurais and doesn't rubbish his car at every opportunity in order to make it look like he's performing miracles.

faster69
22nd April 2013, 10:45
In my opinion all drivers who finished in the top 6 did a good job. They will be proud of this race:

1. Vettel
2. Räikkönen
3. Grosjean
4. Di Resta
5. Hamilton
6. Perez

However: "They're not top secret, I just don't get my legs so high as I'm not a woman," was a pretty stupid joke to say on TV IMO. That's second time Vettel says something so arrogant to David Coulthard during on air interview. While fast, Vettel still does not have the humility and wisdom of a true champion.

Isn't that what people love Kimi for???

msratings
22nd April 2013, 10:52
I am no Vettel fan but he had the best race. This year does seem to help you if you get clear air and dont have to fight too much and thus save tyres. All of the top 4 managed this and deserved the results. I feel sorry for Rosberg who deserved better but the Mercedes need to work on tyre management.

Robinho
22nd April 2013, 10:59
Vettel was in a class of 1 at the front, although had Alonso's DRS not failed and Kimi qualified in the top 6 I don't thhink he would have had it all his own way. However you can only beat what it there and he did that convincingly. Alonso had a very good recovery and did pretty well to hold second for over a lap with the stuck open DRS, it was quite a while before the commentators picked up on it, he also did well not to sail off at the first corner he came across when it stuck.

Good stuff from both Lotus and also the battling Mercs and McLarens.

Di Resta also deserves some serious credit, very close to a well deserved podium

Sent from North Korea using the dark network

Rollo
22nd April 2013, 11:32
That's second time Vettel says something so arrogant to David Coulthard during on air interview. While fast, Vettel still does not have the humility and wisdom of a true champion.

Formula One is an environment in which unless you have an ego the size of Texas, you get nowhere. Vettel did the best job expected oh him. Apart from putting the car on pole, he won the race and took the fastest lap. What else does he need to do?

I thought that Perez stood up and was counted. Button may have accused him of dangerous driving but it's not like Button was an innocent victim; Button gave as good as he got.

wedge
22nd April 2013, 12:00

Not me: http://www.motorsportforums.com/f1/157580-driver-race-australia-2013-a-2.html#post1116007

Firstly DOTD is purely subjective but please, grow up and not go down to their level and play fanboys vs. haters. If there are people not willing to give Vettel his due then that's their prerogative.

He clearly had the best car. What I will say in praise of Vettel is that it is another race where he has shown he is a racer when he wants to be even though at times he seems reliant on pit strategy.

henners88
22nd April 2013, 12:05
Come on Jens, Vettel won the race and gets the recognition. He was barely on our screens and once he had cleared Alonso and Rosberg on the opening laps it was a case of managing the race without the pressures others had. He drove very well to get out in front but many of us enjoyed the racing of others more so. It was such a mix of a race I couldn't pick one driver as DOTR as there were just too many good drives. I've given Seb DOTR many times on here in the past.

Knock-on
22nd April 2013, 12:27
I am sorry to say this, but this thread shows the notable bias against Vettel a certain group of people have on this forum. Whenever Vettel wins a race or generally does well, they feel incredibly reluctant in giving him the credit for the achievement.

I went bak to the start of the event and checked. You're wrong actually. Most people mentioned Vettel as DOTD. A few people disagreed because it wasn't an inspired drive and there were others that performed much higher than expected. Vettel was expected to win and easily pssed 2 cars to lead and then never looked back.

In Race trim, his Red Bull looks a second a lap quicker than the best of the rest. It's hard to have a stand out drive when it looks so easy.

On the other hand, it could be because he seems like an arrogant prick :D

DexDexter
22nd April 2013, 12:45
On this occasion you might blame FOM - based on watching the TV coverage I'm sure most people were not aware he was even in the race ;) It was a bit of a Heidfeld race for him in Bahrain - good result but no-one noticed!

Yep, that's why Grosjean is also mentioned more than Kimi. He was on TV a lot more.

Rollo
22nd April 2013, 13:18
Yep, that's why Grosjean is also mentioned more than Kimi. He was on TV a lot more.

Grosjean started in 11th and ended up in 3rd. At bare minimum he must've passed 8 cars, either off track or on. The TV Directors naturally are going to try to pick those moments which are the most photogenic; that usually involves cars in close quarters and/or passing each other. Hence why the Rosberg/Button/Perez trio got so much screen time.

Zico
22nd April 2013, 13:20
I went bak to the start of the event and checked. You're wrong actually. Most people mentioned Vettel as DOTD. A few people disagreed because it wasn't an inspired drive and there were others that performed much higher than expected. Vettel was expected to win and easily pssed 2 cars to lead and then never looked back.

In Race trim, his Red Bull looks a second a lap quicker than the best of the rest. It's hard to have a stand out drive when it looks so easy.

On the other hand, it could be because he seems like an arrogant prick :D

I'd give him DOTD although there are quite a few others who were also close to deserving it. We know the Red Bull is very quick and despite rear tyre managment problems in the opening races it suddenly looks very good in that departtment... but what does that say about Marks performance in Bahrain, was he really that awful?
We also had Nico on Pole yet he went backwards nine places while Lewis was able to move up through the field, it really is confusing... is it the tyres?

"a lot of the drivers are noticing that the first three laps of a stint are the most crucial for the life of a tyre. If you don't push in the first three you get more life out of them at the end." Lewis Hamilton

You'd think this was common knowledge among the drivers though, so it's all very strange to me.

jens
22nd April 2013, 18:35
Firstly DOTD is purely subjective but please, grow up and not go down to their level and play fanboys vs. haters. If there are people not willing to give Vettel his due then that's their prerogative.

Usually I am not bothered to discuss about such things, but felt that it was good to point it out for once. Because I haven't turned attention to this before, so it's a long time coming. :)

However, I have to say things are improving and Vettel is gradually starting to get more credit here. Last year Vettel was getting less recognition than he does now.

I don't know, what it is, but maybe his strong finish to the 2012 campaign and also lots of in-depth discussions we have had here about what kind of driver he is, might have had an impact in the overall view. Or we are all just maturing. :p :

It looks like we have at least four top drivers on the grid at the moment, who also incidentally happen to occupy the first four places in the championship. However, it is instantly noticable if something is out of balance and one of them gets far less credit. Leaving personality-liking aside, it would only be possible if something was very wrong with his driving, but this isn't the case.

All kind of DOTDs (I am not bothered to mention them any more this year) are subjetive indeed, so it is good to watch the general mood of the forum and make some observations. Obviously I like to pay attention to the general athmosphere of the forum.

As for Webber's underperformance... Grosjean was 10th in Australia in a race-winning car and Massa 6th in China. So it looks like it is difficult to make the tyres work this year, which has enlarged the gaps between team-mates. Basically this means all four top drivers deserve credit for where they currently sit in the championship.

Mia 01
23rd April 2013, 10:30
Seb, for his brilliant moves the first couple of laps and fpr solid drive thereafter.

Have to mention Kimi and Romain to.

henners88
23rd April 2013, 10:39
Usually I am not bothered to discuss about such things, but felt that it was good to point it out for once. Because I haven't turned attention to this before, so it's a long time coming. :)

However, I have to say things are improving and Vettel is gradually starting to get more credit here. Last year Vettel was getting less recognition than he does now.

I don't know, what it is, but maybe his strong finish to the 2012 campaign and also lots of in-depth discussions we have had here about what kind of driver he is, might have had an impact in the overall view. Or we are all just maturing. :p :
If some of us genuinely feel that Vettel didn't deserve outright 'Driver of the Race', its our prerogative Jens. The Red Bull was clearly the better car out front at the weekend. We know the Ferrari had great pace and could have done perhaps better given the opportunity, but that wasn't to be. The Mercedes didn't have the early race pace as in dictated by how Rosberg lost the lead early on despite battling hard. In the hands of Vettel the Red Bull is in very good shape. It was a very easy victory for Vettel and was more about a couple of overtakes and a drive into the distance sort of drive. Other drivers like Kimi, Grosjean, Hamilton and Di Resta had a race on their hands where they were fighting from beginning to end and IMHO deserved equal credit for their performances. I didn't give Vettel the top spot for DOTR because I felt others did a better job with the machinery they had. :)