PDA

View Full Version : FIM Superstock

Mach24
6th April 2007, 10:10
I have just seen my first round of the FIM Superstock Cup (Donington).

Can anyone answer if the factories are represented with factory supported teams? It appears Ducati have a factory team, what about the big 4 Japanese?

There seemed to be a major lack of Honda and Kawasaki (up front). Suzuki were there but just, Mark Aitchison in what I believe to be his first race outside of Australia.

MV were leading until the second last lap.

Is there a resident FIM Superstock Cup know all amongst us?

ChrisS
6th April 2007, 15:19
I'm not an expert on Superstock but I dont think any manufacturer has a factory team. the specs for Superstock are very close to the production bikes so manufacturer support isnt really needed.

Ducati runs a Junior Team and some of the big teams in WSBK do run SST bikes too

Alstare runs a Suzuki SST bike
EAB Ten Kate isnt part of the Ten Kate team but their Honda is provided and tuned by Ten Kate
Lorenzini by Leoni runs SS and SST teams for Yamaha Motor Italia

patnicholls
10th April 2007, 23:38
A few other teams from WSB and WSS have teams in Superstock - Caracchi run Luka Nedog, Pedercini have a couple of Ducatis including for Sheridan Morais who did well at Doni, Marco Borciani's Sterilgarda team run two bikes and the Celani team run Mark Aitchison. The odd team that used to be up in WSB drops down to Superstock too as the race is cheaper.

To be honest I haven't really seen much outside of when I'm at Brands or Doni, as we don't get any TV of it.

But it's worth a look as the racing's good obviously, and some future stars will be found there. Kenan Sofuoglu was runner up in the 2005 series, for instance.

Mach24
27th May 2007, 12:15
Aussie 1, 2.

Roberts and Aitcho.

Aitcho leads the championship!

Mach24
29th May 2007, 01:43
Having just watched the Silverstone round of the SST1000 I gotta say how much I am enjoying the racing.

It takes me back a few years watching these young guys carving each other up and making silly mistakes but giving it their all. I often find myself laughing out aloud at some of the desperate maneuvers (often successful), and the rear end drifting coming into and leaving corners.

Pirro and Corti each throwing it away whilst leading at home at Monza was also quiet memorable for all the wrong reasons (You don't see this stuff elsewhere).

It is a shame for those outside Europe the SST1000 are not part of the traveling roadshow with a couple of bikes available each round (at a minimal fee) for guest riders be they ex racers or young up and comers.

If you do not already watch SST1000, do yourself a favour, sure you may not recognize the names now, but I am sure in 1 to 3 years time you will be telling your mates you saw Mark Aitchison winning before anyone else knew who he was.

ChrisS
29th May 2007, 11:12
SST isn't televised in Europe either, British eurosport just showed the 2 races in the British rounds

Mach24
29th May 2007, 11:43
SST isn't televised in Europe either, British eurosport just showed the 2 races in the British rounds

SST1000 is not broadcast in Australia on free to air TV (It may be on payTV but I refuse to pay for TV).

I download the SST1000 races after the event and I gotta say I download this before the main event.

The Phantom
29th May 2007, 15:36
Yep Foxtel in Australia generally runs it now as the filler between WSS and WSB Race 2 (guess they figured they've already shown all the great old school WSB races : )

Great racing. Interesting that Sofuoglu was runner-up in 2005, I was wondering about his path to WSS.

maxu05
29th May 2007, 15:53
SST1000 is not broadcast in Australia on free to air TV (It may be on payTV but I refuse to pay for TV).

I download the SST1000 races after the event and I gotta say I download this before the main event.

How do I download the races mate? as I only get motogp through motogp.com subscription, though with WSBK/WSS and anything else, I must rely on the forum for the news. Any info would be appreciated

tha_jackal
30th May 2007, 09:43
racing-underground.com :S Ummm, the fact that our Aussie boys can go into WSSTK and dominate says alot about the depth of talent in our country at the moment. If only damn sponsors and corporates realised it! Watch out for Jason O'Halloran to get a big go in one of either WSS/WSBK/250s in the next few years, hes a bright young talent for sure.

Mach24
30th May 2007, 10:12
Watch out for Jason O'Halloran to get a big go in one of either WSS/WSBK/250s in the next few years, hes a bright young talent for sure.

Add to the list:

- Bryan Staring
- Russell Holland
- Glenn Allerton
- Jamie Stauffer
- Josh Waters

Sorry for not naming everyone but these are some of the standouts in OZ in no particular order.

PS: Lets not forget Craig Coxhell, tried BSB and FIM Superstock, he has the talent to go a long way.

tha_jackal
30th May 2007, 10:14
Add to the list:

- Bryan Staring
- Russell Holland
- Glenn Allerton
- Jamie Stauffer
- Josh Waters

Sorry for not naming everyone but these are some of the standouts in OZ in no particular order.

PS: Lets not forget Craig Coxhell, tried BSB and FIM Superstock, he has the talent to go a long way.

Have to agree with your names, except i dont think Stauffer or Allerton or even Holland will be leaving Australia as theyre a touch older than the rest.. I may be wrong about Allerton and Holland but i think Jamie is definately to old..

Mach24
30th May 2007, 10:25
Have to agree with your names, except i dont think Stauffer or Allerton or even Holland will be leaving Australia as theyre a touch older than the rest.. I may be wrong about Allerton and Holland but i think Jamie is definately to old..

How old is too old?

No need to answer this question, just good to have an open mind.

I guess both the Troy's should be in a retirement village talking about how good they were.

PS: How old are J.Stauffer, Allerton and Holland?

tha_jackal
30th May 2007, 10:27
How old is too old?

No need to answer this question, just good to have an open mind.

I guess both the Troy's should be in a retirement village talking about how good they were.

PS: How old are J.Stauffer, Allerton and Holland?

They all definately have the talent, i have to check their ages, im assuming :D Ill get back to ya!

tha_jackal
30th May 2007, 10:31
Jamie = 29
Holland = 25
Allerton = 26

The reason i say O'Halloran is that hes 19 and hes beating Stauffer and co in the WSS class, so he has the most potential. Theoretically, they could all make it, I just think it helps to be on the younger side of 25 if you want to head to Europe, sure Bayliss is an exception, but hes a rarity..

Mach24
30th May 2007, 11:52
Jamie = 29
Holland = 25
Allerton = 26

The reason i say O'Halloran is that hes 19 and hes beating Stauffer and co in the WSS class, so he has the most potential. Theoretically, they could all make it, I just think it helps to be on the younger side of 25 if you want to head to Europe, sure Bayliss is an exception, but hes a rarity..

Jack, I agree with you regarding J O'H, I also believe we have enough talent and depth regardless of age to shake up WSBK/SS.

If I were a Team Manager I would prefer a younger rider as well..... There is just so much talent on OZ soil that simply is not known outside our backyard.

Mark Aithcison's performance has blown me away, a 'good' rider in OZ that has gone to a bigger stage and been competative immediately. Aitcho has never seen the circuits let alone raced a big bore bike.

We (Aussie's) have a lot to offer provided you do not want a rider to pay their way!

The Phantom
31st May 2007, 02:02
We (Aussie's) have a lot to offer provided you do not want a rider to pay their way!

Look at the results of the major race series over the past fortnight...

MotoGP Le Mans - winner; Aussie (third; Aussie)
WSB Silverstone - winner; Aussie (third; Aussie)
WSS Silverstone - winner; Aussie
SST Silverstone - winner; Aussie (second; Aussie)
AMA Infineon - winner; Aussie (double win)

(oi oi oi)

tha_jackal
31st May 2007, 02:08
WSS Silverstone - winner; Aussie

Should have been an Aussie in second for that race too! :(

patnicholls
15th June 2007, 22:41
It is a good support series, this. Shame it doesn't get much coverage on TV.

I watched live at Donington (sooo unlucky for Pirro and particularly Badovini as the former fell and took the MV rider with him two corners from home), and have picked up a couple of the other races on TV since.

The championship table looks odd, as the form riders looked to be Pirro, Corti and Didier van Keymeulen (who narrowly lost the 2005 title to one K. Sofuoglu) but it's not panning out that way so far in the points after some chaotic races. Shows what I know eh? :D