PDA

View Full Version : Jayski reporting new driver of #88 is...

Jonesi
10th December 2006, 20:48
Ricky Rudd! Will renumber to #28 with Mars sponsorship.

dwboogityfan
10th December 2006, 22:20
Am surprised but delighted if this is true. 'Rooster' is one of my all time favourite drivers and did a great job at Yates last time round. To have the #28 back on track without Texaco will be strange but Ricky will be a good choice and do a solid job.

RaceFanStan
10th December 2006, 22:38
I look forward to seeing the #28 paint theme. :D

Hoss Ghoul
10th December 2006, 22:48
Glad he's going to be doing this full time too, I don't think you can be competitive running a handful of races a year, or even part-time like Mark Martin will be.

Cole_Trickle
11th December 2006, 02:41
Interesting, I didn't see that coming, I had heard when Rudd left Yates it was pretty ugly?

RaceFanStan
11th December 2006, 05:09
Before Ricky Rudd left, there had been a bruhaha between Ricky & Robert Yates.
Ricky Rudd felt DJ was getting the "good stuff" & his team was getting slighted.
Ricky Rudd & Robert Yates had a heated argument.
Stories disagree, some say Yates puched Rudd, others say they pushed & shoved each other ...
It ended with Rudd displaying a blackeye for a couple of weeks.
Whatever the true story is Rudd left RYR at the end of the 2002 season.

Dale Jarrett has left Robert Yates Racing & now Ricky Rudd returns ......
Hmmmmmmm

MD24
11th December 2006, 05:26
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=157426

Jonesi
11th December 2006, 10:58
Ricky Rudd felt DJ was getting the "good stuff" & his team was getting slighted.
Stories disagree, some say Yates puched Rudd, others say they pushed & shoved each other ...

Dale Jarrett has left Robert Yates Racing & now Ricky Rudd returns ......
Hmmmmmmm

It may have been Rudd told Yates of some problems within the team that Yates didn't want to hear. After the team went further downhill and two other drivers left, Yates may be more receptive to those comments on how to turn the teams around.

BenRoethig
11th December 2006, 14:16
Anyone want to bet that the MWR #44 changes to 88 before Daytona
if the Rudd/28 rumors are true?

harvick#1
11th December 2006, 14:26
next thing we know, Terry or Rusty will be back racing for Roush in the #6 :rolleyes:

Jonesi
11th December 2006, 23:04
Anyone want to bet that the MWR #44 changes to 88 before Daytona
if the Rudd/28 rumors are true?

I would say it's a definite possibility. MW said he inquired about the number when the DJ/UPS deal was announced.

djarumdudley
11th December 2006, 23:09
i read this yesterday and my heart skipped a beat. the races haven't been the same for me since Ricky retired. hope this is true, though i am surprised this is how he's returning full time since the Yates divorce in 2002.

Sparky1329
12th December 2006, 04:47
That was a very ugly very public split. I think that's what surprises me the most about this announcement. He!! has definitely frozen over on this one.

Jonesi
12th December 2006, 11:15
That was a very ugly very public split. I think that's what surprises me the most about this announcement. He!! has definitely frozen over on this one.

Sometimes I think that fans hold a grudge much longer than the participants. :)

Lee Roy
12th December 2006, 13:01

Wasn't it his crew chief Michael "Fatback" McSwain that Ricky had the "dust-up" with instead of Yates?

Lee Roy
12th December 2006, 13:05
Sometimes I think that fans hold a grudge much longer than the participants. :)

I think you're right. These people spend Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon together from early February through Thanksgiving. Hard to hold a grudge for that long if you're an adult.

RaceFanStan
12th December 2006, 14:39
Wasn't it his crew chief Michael "Fatback" McSwain that Ricky had the "dust-up" with instead of Yates?
Now that you mention it I think it may have been Fatback instead of Robert Yates. :eek:

(they say the memory is the 1st thing to go, I'm not sure of that ... I can't remember) ;) :laugh:

Lee Roy
21st December 2006, 17:07
According to Jayski, it's now official.

UPDATE 3: Masterfoods USA announced it will sponsor a second entry with Robert Yates Racing in 2007 with Snickers Brand as the primary sponsor. Veteran driver Ricky Rudd will return to RYR to drive after a one-year break from competition. Joining Snickers to support the program are Pedigree Brand Food for Dogs and Combos Brand Snacks. Each will hold the primary sponsor position on the second car for a combined seven events during the 2007 season. Additionally, Masterfoods’ brands Twix, Milky Way, Skittles and Starburst will serve as associate sponsors on Rudd’s Ford during the 36-race schedule.(Elevation Group PR)(12-21-2006). No mention of a car number.

Mark in Oshawa
21st December 2006, 19:05
I think Rudd may have had a point in his dustup with managment and maybe management has come to the conclusion Ricky is just the guy to help straighten out things in RYR. Things were just swirling like something in the toilet before the flush over there and they need a veteran to help bring some sanity to the team.

djarumdudley
22nd December 2006, 12:57
this news has been a fantastic christmas surprise!! i haven't been this excited about the upcoming season in a couple of years!!

Mark in Oshawa
22nd December 2006, 15:42
Rudd is one of the good guys, I just hope he can enjoy going out on his terms. I think that is what this year is all about....

harvick#1
22nd December 2006, 15:47
at least Rusty has kept his word, these "retired" drivers are just losing so much crediability. Martin was suppose to retire two years ago to spend more time with his family and son, and saying there were too many races. now he leaves Roush and plans to run over 36 races next year with Cup, Trucks, and maybe Busch.

Lee Roy
22nd December 2006, 16:02
As I recall, Ricky Rudd never said that he was actually retiring.

I think that Yates wanted an experienced driver to help try to bring his team back to the performance level that it used to operate at. Can't get more experienced than "Rooster".

RaceFanStan
22nd December 2006, 17:59
at least Rusty has kept his word, these "retired" drivers are just losing so much crediability. Martin was suppose to retire two years ago to spend more time with his family and son, and saying there were too many races. now he leaves Roush and plans to run over 36 races next year with Cup, Trucks, and maybe Busch.
I would never question Mark Martin's "crediability".
Jack Roush ask Mark to drive another year & he consented.
The demands are now off Mark's time as he is a "part-time" driver.
Mark can "pick & choose" the races he wants to drive in. :D

For all practical purposes Mark Martin retired from Jack Roush. :laugh:

tstran17_88
22nd December 2006, 18:37
For all practical purposes Mark Martin retired from Jack Roush. :laugh:

Mark would have stayed with Roush and Roush would have loved to have him stay, but with the Nascar limit on teams, which Jack is already one over, there was no way that Jack could start up & run a part time team for him.

Mark is scheduled to run a few Busch races next year for Roush.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd December 2006, 06:47
I think Rudd wants a better ending to his career than his last go around with Yates. Now that he is coming back, I would imagine he is not only coming back on his terms, but they have good expectations now of what they expect of Ricky. When he left, they were wanting wins and a top 10 performance, but as we have seen, RYR has not been that quality of team for some time. Ricky is now being called into turn the ship around, and he is the right man for the job. He is smart, solid in his personality and smart enough to be able to point where they need to improve. I think they may listen more than the last time. Obviously the Yates boys realized they were in trouble...