PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of radio communication

bontebempo
27th March 2013, 03:14
In my many years of watching F1 one of the biggest problems i see are the use of radio comms to drivers. How great would it be if these were banned. Drivers could race their race with no interference from the team. Once on track its up to the drivers to determine the outcome of the race NOT the team. I appreciate its a team sport but we are all here to watch a race not drivers driving round a circuit keeping station.

Good for Vettel racing the guy in front and taking the win. Senna once said that if a driver see's a gap and does not take it he is not a racing driver. Amen to that.

gloomyDAY
27th March 2013, 03:58
No, what about safety issues? I'd rather there not be radio communication between team and driver, but not from the race director.

truefan72
27th March 2013, 05:58
yeah. that's the solution!
ridiculous

not to mention not even understanding the mitigation circumstances, or worse yet knowing them, but being deliberately ignorant and misquoting senna, who himself used radio and had team orders the entire time Berger was his teammate.

and while we are at it, lets get rid of those pesky pit wall boards too. A "real" driver should be able to know what's going on with his car, and read the fuel gauges and hydraulic systems, understand front wing damage, figure out his pit stop strategy, know which driver is closing in on him and what the gaps are, read the weather reports, etc, all while zooming around at 150mph
ridiculous

Ranger
27th March 2013, 06:43
In my many years of watching F1 one of the biggest problems i see are the use of radio comms to drivers. How great would it be if these were banned. Drivers could race their race with no interference from the team. Once on track its up to the drivers to determine the outcome of the race NOT the team. I appreciate its a team sport but we are all here to watch a race not drivers driving round a circuit keeping station.

Good for Vettel racing the guy in front and taking the win. Senna once said that if a driver see's a gap and does not take it he is not a racing driver. Amen to that.

Senna said it, so it is obviously the be-all-and-end-all of every argument ever. :\

Mark
27th March 2013, 10:04
They did ban them a few years ago (I forget when), along with all telemetry. However the teams sucessfully campaigned to have the ban overturned before the start of the season.

AndyL
27th March 2013, 12:32
Other forms of motorsport have no radios, so I don't buy the suggestions that it's impossible or too dangerous to get rid of them. But I don't really see what problem it would solve. It wouldn't prevent team orders. It would just mean the orders would be issued before the start of the race.

bontebempo
27th March 2013, 14:29
you are obviously an idiot. I think you should disappear up your own arse! And your forum name is truefan? hahaha more like dickhead72.

ridiculous

not to mention not even understanding the mitigation circumstances, or worse yet knowing them, but being deliberately ignorant and misquoting senna, who himself used radio and had team orders the entire time Berger was his teammate.

and while we are at it, lets get rid of those pesky pit wall boards too. A "real" driver should be able to know what's going on with his car, and read the fuel gauges and hydraulic systems, understand front wing damage, figure out his pit stop strategy, know which driver is closing in on him and what the gaps are, read the weather reports, etc, all while zooming around at 150mph
ridiculous

henners88
27th March 2013, 14:45
you are obviously an idiot. I think you should disappear up your own arse! And your forum name is truefan? hahaha more like dickhead72.
I think this is the perfect example of how not to respond to someone. Thankfully we don't see much of this. :down:

henners88
27th March 2013, 14:49
Other forms of motorsport have no radios, so I don't buy the suggestions that it's impossible or too dangerous to get rid of them. But I don't really see what problem it would solve. It wouldn't prevent team orders. It would just mean the orders would be issued before the start of the race.
That is true, but quite often orders are given after the race has changed to the unexpected. You will never stop a briefing from taking place before a race. On the other hand radio's are used by the drivers to improve their sector times and also for safety reasons when issues arise with the car to list just one example. I can't see them disappearing any time soon and don't think this is the solution.

Knock-on
27th March 2013, 15:42
Well, Bontebempo normally comes out with rubbish but she might have a point here.

You need telemetry as a driver might have a developing, potentially dangerous problem that he needs to box for. If a car has a serious problem, the team can tell Charlie who will get on the blower and order them in. The team will need to provide Charlie with an output of that Telemetry to prove they are not manipulating races.

A driver can have a Pit button that notifies a team that they need to box for tyres or a nose etc but apart from that, they rely on Pit Boards.

They can decide the strategy before the race but are limited in comms during the race. If a driver is running low on fuel, the team need to put it on a board in plain English. Standard boards and no codes.

This will hand a lot more decision making back to the driver and I think make it more 'real'.

bontebempo
27th March 2013, 15:43
ridiculous

ridiculous

truefan haha tru idiot

bontebempo
27th March 2013, 15:45
Well, Bontebempo normally comes out with rubbish but she might have a point here.

You need telemetry as a driver might have a developing, potentially dangerous problem that he needs to box for. If a car has a serious problem, the team can tell Charlie who will get on the blower and order them in. The team will need to provide Charlie with an output of that Telemetry to prove they are not manipulating races.

A driver can have a Pit button that notifies a team that they need to box for tyres or a nose etc but apart from that, they rely on Pit Boards.

They can decide the strategy before the race but are limited in comms during the race. If a driver is running low on fuel, the team need to put it on a board in plain English. Standard boards and no codes.

This will hand a lot more decision making back to the driver and I think make it more 'real'.

And you too normally reply with nonsense but this time you actually see the light!!

henners88
27th March 2013, 15:48
I have mentioned a few times on here that many fans sometimes base their entire opinion's on teams and drivers based on what they hear from pit radio snippets. Removing radio would certainly force viewers to use a little more intelligence when analysing situations we see on the TV rather than forming idle assumptions IMO. There are pro's and con's so perhaps it could be tried (again)?

bontebempo
27th March 2013, 19:25
ridiculous

ridiculous

It seems you are the ridiculous one here. Its my opinion and i will stick with it. Rather than reacting in an immature way try to respect the opinion of others without resorting to name calling.

truefan72
27th March 2013, 23:29
It seems you are the ridiculous one here. Its my opinion and i will stick with it. Rather than reacting in an immature way try to respect the opinion of others without resorting to name calling.

what name did I call you?
and who is the one being immature?
lol

get a grip

Knock-on
28th March 2013, 10:05
OK, OK. Calm down a bit.

I saw a thread started and suddenly it explodes as if what Bonte suggested was akin to shooting fluffy bunny rabbits???

Can we debate it sensibly on the pro's and cons's?

Q. What have the Romans, er, I mean radios, ever done for us?

Are they necessary?

Does it just allow teams to control races a lot more accurately from the Pit Wall rather than the Driver racing his own race more?

Is there a safety issue in banning radios and if so, can it be got around?

What positives do radios bring to the sport?

Mark
28th March 2013, 10:09
I don't think radios do any harm. However they can do without all the telemetry etc. It's one of those things teams spend a fortune on just because everyone else does. Eliminate it and you get rid of a massive cost, without making much difference.

Knock-on
28th March 2013, 10:14
Some Telemetry might be necessary but I can see why it can be switched off during a race. Basically, when a driver gets to the Start line, the car is his to manage.

About Radios, what good do they do the sport? Why are they needed?

Mark
28th March 2013, 10:16
About Radios, what good do they do the sport? Why are they needed?

"Crash at turn 1, track blocked. STOP STOP STOP" ?

"Your front wing is falling off. BOX BOX BOX"

Knock-on
28th March 2013, 10:47
Yellow Flags, waved Yellow, Double waved Yellow, Red Flag, Lights on Steering Wheel take care of point one.

I said on point two that the Race Director could have direct communication with drivers for emergency or safety reasons.

Would that cover the need for radios?

airshifter
28th March 2013, 11:37
I agree Knocky, the actual need is very minimal. They do allow weather status, times, etc that are beneficial to the drivers as well as the team, but really other than take away some of the guesswork the only thing they add is more team involvement.

But there is one valid point nobody else has touched on. When the team issues orders, how else to we get to hear all the great snippets of drivers whining like children? Most pit boards won't hold that much info!

Knock-on
28th March 2013, 11:44
I'd be OK missing the whineing about why team mates should jump off the track to let them pass (OK, I would miss Kimi's comments laugh: ) if we can see Drivers controlling their race more and force them to manage their own equipment.

Teams will have to quess more about when to pit on tyres and drivers would have to balance their aggression against fuel and tyre wear. Teams might even start fuelling cars to finish races :D

AndyL
28th March 2013, 12:54
But there is one valid point nobody else has touched on. When the team issues orders, how else to we get to hear all the great snippets of drivers whining like children? Most pit boards won't hold that much info!

They would just have to start relying more on hand gestures to express their displeasure... some drivers are already well practiced at that :)

zako85
28th March 2013, 13:21
This is silly. Why stop at formula 1? Let's ban basketball coaches from being anywhere near the court. Let's ban the boxing coaches during the matches and so on. Fooball coaches, etc. The team radio is exremely important for mapping the tire and overall race strategy. It's stupid to propose the team radio is banned because once a year, actually even less often than that on average, one out of 24 drivers receives a controversial order in just one out of year's 20 races. Stop fooling yourself. F1 is a team sport in and out. If you want a pretension of a driver oriented sport, let's ban custom chassis. Let everyone race a spec chassis and engine, a sort of GP2 on drugs, and _then_ you could argue that we need to have the radio go to make everything mostly depend on the driver.

wedge
28th March 2013, 16:07
I think this means let you team mate through:

http://www.steverox.com/albums/funny/Picture_1116.sized.jpg

Tazio
28th March 2013, 18:55
I think this means let you team mate through :

......Or a motivation to pass ;)

dj_bytedisaster
30th March 2013, 06:14
This is silly. Why stop at formula 1? Let's ban basketball coaches from being anywhere near the court. Let's ban the boxing coaches during the matches and so on. Fooball coaches, etc. The team radio is exremely important for mapping the tire and overall race strategy. It's stupid to propose the team radio is banned because once a year, actually even less often than that on average, one out of 24 drivers receives a controversial order in just one out of year's 20 races. Stop fooling yourself. F1 is a team sport in and out. If you want a pretension of a driver oriented sport, let's ban custom chassis. Let everyone race a spec chassis and engine, a sort of GP2 on drugs, and _then_ you could argue that we need to have the radio go to make everything mostly depend on the driver.

Apples and oranges, Sir. Baskeball coaches do not decide, who is allowed to dunk and who's not. I think a ban on team radio would be a good thing. Problem is that it would need changes in many areas. First of all we would need a tire supplier who is actually any good at its job, so we wouldn't have tires that require the team to tell drivers, which lap times they have to do to prevent the things from burning off the rium after 5 laps as opposed to going as fast as possible. Since F1 has turned into an artificially created 'show' of NASCRAP-esque proportions, I don't see that happening as long as the dwarf isn't six feet below sea level.

bontebempo
1st April 2013, 03:53
what name did I call you?
and who is the one being immature?
lol

get a grip

people like you are a waste of space here. And did you really LOL haha.

Valve Bounce
1st April 2013, 04:22
I have it on good authority that Team Red Bull have developed a breakthrough Mental Telepathy system which will be used from the next race onwards. It is called "Middle Finger Salute", which was tested successfully when Vettel passed Webber in Malaysia.

truefan72
3rd April 2013, 04:24
people like you are a waste of space here. And did you really LOL haha.

just grow up :rolleyes:
and learn what sarcasm is

nothing in my posts were offensive and there was no name calling
but "people" like you love to pick a fight for no reason
especially, when their arguments fall flat on their face

that's the last on this matter for me,
feel free to continue if you wish but its really not worth my time trying to respond anymore

cheers

racerdude
3rd April 2013, 11:23

you got a point there bontebempo and I admit that you might have more experience or has been watching F1 longer than I do...but removing these radio comms to the drivers can be disastrous. F1 racers are going at the speed of 150mph..just imagine that.. With just that kind of speed, I think it would be super multitasking if you are to check the hydraulics, fuel, know the drivers behind you, etc all by yourself. So with radio comms, the driver can be properly guided, assisted and told by a last minute change of strategy.

dj_bytedisaster
3rd April 2013, 11:24
you got a point there bontebempo and I admit that you might have more experience or has been watching F1 longer than I do...but removing these radio comms to the drivers can be disastrous. F1 racers are going at the speed of 150mph..just imagine that.. With just that kind of speed, I think it would be super multitasking if you are to check the hydraulics, fuel, know the drivers behind you, etc all by yourself. So with radio comms, the driver can be properly guided, assisted and told by a last minute change of strategy.

They did without nannying the drivists for 30 years before team radio was introduced.

Whyzars
6th April 2013, 16:23
They did without nannying the drivists for 30 years before team radio was introduced.

+1

Radio communications have crossed the line into being a driver aid and should be banned for everything but safety messages.

Fuel management instructions or forecasts of excessive tyre wear are not safety issues.

Guess what, a driver knows when his tyres have gone off because his lap time will go through the roof. The same will occur when he runs out of fuel...

airshifter
7th April 2013, 14:18
+1

Radio communications have crossed the line into being a driver aid and should be banned for everything but safety messages.

Fuel management instructions or forecasts of excessive tyre wear are not safety issues.

Guess what, a driver knows when his tyres have gone off because his lap time will go through the roof. The same will occur when he runs out of fuel...

I could get behind that. And you brought up a serious issue many of us missed... keep the radios on board but use them ONLY for safety issues.

dj_bytedisaster
7th April 2013, 15:18
I could get behind that. And you brought up a serious issue many of us missed... keep the radios on board but use them ONLY for safety issues.

Unfortunately that won't happen. It would destroy all the artificial 'drama' the evil dwarf has created lately.

9th April 2013, 12:28
I'd rather be there not be stereo interaction between team and car owner, but not from the competition home . . . . .

racerdude
9th April 2013, 15:41
+1

Yes, I do agree with everything you said. That's why radio communications should not be banned for its purpose of relaying safety messages. I know that more than than is relayed and it sometimes includes racing politics. Its not anymore race to win, but "this year you win, next year the other one will." And that is the reason why radio communications is messed up in my opinion

Its purpose is supposed to protect the drivers and prevent accidents. Not dictate the possible outcome of each driver. Racing is so messed up i must say

racerdude
9th April 2013, 15:45
I can remember that there was a time that they removed it. All I have to say about this is that, radio communications can be very helpful and also become a hazard sometimes. A good radio communication can both be an asset and a hindrance to winning a race. However, basics suggests that info from the radio communication is important.

bontebempo
12th April 2013, 04:09
why "people"? am i not people? strange person on this forum.

dj_bytedisaster
12th April 2013, 10:06
Moss, Fangio and others managed just fine without team radio. If the teams have something to inform the drivers about, there's the good old pit board and important messages around the track are relayed by flags and lights. I think those guys are old enough to drive a race without someone on the pit wall constantly telling them what to do. Let's put the racing back into F1 and get team radio banned.

Malbec
12th April 2013, 10:41
But I don't really see what problem it would solve. It wouldn't prevent team orders. It would just mean the orders would be issued before the start of the race.

Exactly, team orders didn't exist before team radios right?

I mean in Fangio's day drivers were never told to let their teammates past right? Nor were they told to pit and hand their car over to their teammate. Back in the old days drivers were never told to let their teammate past because it might increase sales in a particular country right (Like Fangio being told at Aintree 1955 to let Moss through because Mercedes needed a publicity boost in the UK)? And Mercedes never told its non-German drivers to let its German drivers past to win for Nazi propaganda purposes before WW2 of course....

We'd certainly never get the Paris-Dakar rally results decided by a coin-toss before the event. Absolutely not....

Team orders only began with team radios so banning them will get rid of team orders, yes I can see the logic there....

steveaki13
12th April 2013, 21:00
I wouldn't mind seeing radios lost in F1, but as stated above, I dont see it changing the state of teamorders in the sport. As long as the teams have more than one car, they will use some sort of orders.

One Car teams or team orders.

bontebempo
13th April 2013, 01:07
funny little man. I actually make a valid point and looks like some are on board with some changes. You seem to be a bit of old fashioned.

And why "people"? I am a person. funny little man

just grow up :rolleyes:
and learn what sarcasm is

nothing in my posts were offensive and there was no name calling
but "people" like you love to pick a fight for no reason
especially, when their arguments fall flat on their face

that's the last on this matter for me,
feel free to continue if you wish but its really not worth my time trying to respond anymore

cheers

13th April 2013, 06:09
I'd rather be there not be stereo interaction between team and car owner, but not from the competition home . . . . .

"Surfers Rent A Car
Cheap Car Hire & Car Rentals in Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast | Surfers Rent A Car (http://www.surfersrentacar.com.au/)
2/11 Northview Street Mermaid Waters Gold Coast QLD 4218
Phone: (07) 5572 0600"
surfers paradise car rentals (http://surfersrentacar.com.au/)