PDA

View Full Version : What's with NBC Sports scrolling the results of the F1 race before the 4:00 replay?

gerkebi
25th March 2013, 20:17
I have to give NBC Sports credit for promoting the F1 race on Car Talk and Fox News, but those who tuned in at the end of the Indycar broadcast to catch the 4:00 F1 replay were "treated" to the spoiler of all spoilers! The scroll at the bottom of the page gave away the results just minutes before the race. Who in the hell made that genius decision?

By the way, the plug on Car Talk has to be the first time in history an auto race was ever promoted on NPR!

truefan72
25th March 2013, 20:26
its not a spoiler, when they showed the race live already
It is not a tape delay, it is a replay
NBC did nothing wrong

acescribe
25th March 2013, 23:29
The BBC plaster the result EVERYWHERE before they show their highlights programmes!

Dave B
26th March 2013, 10:24
You can't beat the famous "if you don't want to know the result of this evening's goalless draw, look away now".

roykirk
27th March 2013, 04:05
I did not know this subject was post already

How can you say it was not a spoiler? The live race was on at 4am for me i recorded it to watch later or watch the replay on NBC. why would NBC want to ruin a race that was going to be shown on their network? When f1 was on speed i never saw the results of an fi race durning a Indy race.

Makes no sence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its not a spoiler, when they showed the race live already
It is not a tape delay, it is a replay
NBC did nothing wrong

truefan72
27th March 2013, 06:09
I did not know this subject was post already

How can you say it was not a spoiler? The live race was on at 4am for me i recorded it to watch later or watch the replay on NBC. why would NBC want to ruin a race that was going to be shown on their network? When f1 was on speed i never saw the results of an fi race durning a Indy race.

Makes no sence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got up and watched it at 4am
and trust me unless you live in a sports vaccum, by the time you got up and perused the sports channels, that's all anybody was talking about, even on ESPN
The idea that NBC should withhold that information, until you are good and ready to watch your "taped" replay is unrealistic

Here's a suggestion for you. How about at 3pm you watch your taped F1 race and dvr/tape the indycar race

Tazio
27th March 2013, 06:17
those who tuned in at the end of the Indycar broadcast to catch the 4:00 F1 replay were "treated" to the spoiler of all spoilers! Who in the hell made that genius decision?
Joe Cocker with Mad Dogs & Englishmen - Cry Me a River (August,1970) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDe0PIPqj0) ;( ;( :bigcry: :s ailor: sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry :s mokin:

airshifter
27th March 2013, 11:36
It's hard to avoid results after recording, so I usually avoid media sources until I watch the race or qually. Though I must admit that I saw the result of Vettel getting the pole at Malaysia on my home page before I watched qually... which is strange since the Yahoo home page NEVER had F1 coverage in the past that I noticed.

henners88
27th March 2013, 11:51
It's hard to avoid results after recording, so I usually avoid media sources until I watch the race or qually. Though I must admit that I saw the result of Vettel getting the pole at Malaysia on my home page before I watched qually... which is strange since the Yahoo home page NEVER had F1 coverage in the past that I noticed.
I tend to avoid twitter and any news site if I don't know the result. I don't turn the radio on in the car because the half hourly news sometimes mentions the F1. Last season I did have a result ruined by checking my Facebook because I had 'liked' a few F1 related pages. I unliked them and no longer have that to worry about, plus none of my friends or relatives tend to mention F1 on there. Nothing more annoying than having the result ruined lol.

airshifter
27th March 2013, 22:43
Matter of fact I'll add that due to following Kimi's page on Facebook I managed to log in on my phone and saw his race result before the race. Doh!

mr_swiss
27th March 2013, 23:27
When the race was on Speed and I watched the Indy Car race on NBC, I expected to see the result sooner than later on the ticker.
But now that both races are on NBC, and shown conveniently right after one another, I think it's wrong.

There was no reason to stay up til 1:00AM (Pacific time) for me to watch the F1 race when there was going to be a re-broadcast of the race right after the Indy Car race, which made a nice TV morning.

anthonyvop
27th March 2013, 23:40
Today the NFL Network was replaying the Superbowl but before the game they interviewed Joe Flacco who was the MVP. Hello! Spoiler alert. Totally ruined the game for me.

Get my drift?

mr_swiss
27th March 2013, 23:55
Today the NFL Network was replaying the Superbowl but before the game they interviewed Joe Flacco who was the MVP. Hello! Spoiler alert. Totally ruined the game for me.

Get my drift?

Super bowl 67 days ago, race in question - same day

anthonyvop
28th March 2013, 01:12
Super bowl 67 days ago, race in question - same day

Same difference. Both were broadcast LIVE. Not tapped delay. Using gerkebi's logic the Local news shouldn't report Baseball scores in case you want to watch the replay overnight.

BDunnell
28th March 2013, 01:46
You can't beat the famous "if you don't want to know the result of this evening's goalless draw, look away now".

The best one ever was, surprisingly, committed by Steve Rider: 'If you don't want to know the result, look away now as we see Tony Adams lifting the cup for Arsenal...'

Dave B
28th March 2013, 11:58
... plus none of my friends or relatives tend to mention F1 on there. Nothing more annoying than having the result ruined lol.
A few years back I managed to avoid hearing a race result, which was impressive because I was at Brands Hatch of all places, surrounded by motorsport fans. Just getting back into the car and I got a text saying "Beans Meanz Heinz". Damned Frentzen!

AndyL
28th March 2013, 12:48
A few years back I managed to avoid hearing a race result, which was impressive because I was at Brands Hatch of all places, surrounded by motorsport fans. Just getting back into the car and I got a text saying "Beans Meanz Heinz". Damned Frentzen!

To be fair to the announcers at Brands Hatch, they are pretty scrupulous about avoiding mentioning the results of any other sporting events happening on the same weekend.

The weekend of the Korean GP last year, I got up early to go to the British Superbikes qualifying at Brands on the Saturday. I recorded the Korean GP qualifying to watch when I got home. I was out the back of the Brands Grand Prix circuit most of the day, so I was listening to Radio Brands Hatch on my pocket radio, and as expected they never mentioned the F1 so I avoided hearing the result for the entire day. By the time the racing finished around 6PM, the sun was going down and the radio reception was starting to get a bit patchy. As I turned round to set off for the exit, Radio Brands faded out, and I picked up exactly 5 words of a news broadcast from another station: "Mark Webber is on pole..." :mad:

Who remembers that episode of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? "England F..." :)

zako85
28th March 2013, 12:56
Plain simply stated, they're idiots IMO.

Speaking of which, why does NBC sports waste about 10% of the upper portion screen during IndyCar broadcasts for effectively nothing? And why is the distracting scrolling ribbon at the top of screen? Can't they at least move it to the bottom? They really have no rethink the whole display, and they certainly should stop wasting screen space to spoil for us F1, as well as any other sports results.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. Note how much of screen space is wasted to display _NOTHING_. Morons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0OCvBTxg8

Jag_Warrior
28th March 2013, 18:17
When the race was on Speed and I watched the Indy Car race on NBC, I expected to see the result sooner than later on the ticker.
But now that both races are on NBC, and shown conveniently right after one another, I think it's wrong.

There was no reason to stay up til 1:00AM (Pacific time) for me to watch the F1 race when there was going to be a re-broadcast of the race right after the Indy Car race, which made a nice TV morning.

Exactly! When ESPN used to do the same thing with CART races, the fans were up in arms. Why should I bother watching the F1 race (with any sort of enthusiasm) if I already know who won? Assuming that NBC Sports has not hired the old pinheads from the ESPN F1 and CART days, they should either not post the F1 results or they should plaster a BIG spoiler alert at the bottom before they do. I assume they have the basic technology to do that. If not, my girlfriend's nephew is a computer engineering student. For a small fee (paid to his aunt's significant other, of course), I'd be happy to have him show them how to do that. I guess NBC is dead last in the ratings (behind Univision???!!!) for a reason, eh?

I had to DVR the F1 race. And I would have watched the Indy Car race on DVR too. Luckily I watched the F1 race first and when I started watching the Indy Car race and realized what they did, I instantly deleted the broadcast. All they did (in my case) was lose another viewer for the Indy Car Series. And since there are only about 50 people watching it anyway, you'd think they wouldn't want to p!ss any of us off. Maybe I'll keep DVR'ing the Indy Car races... maybe I won't. Maybe I'll watch the DVR... maybe I won't. Just depends on what's going on and how busy I am after I've watched the F1 race of the day. :)

truefan72
28th March 2013, 18:41
Plain simply stated, they're idiots IMO.

Speaking of which, why does NBC sports waste about 10% of the upper portion screen during IndyCar broadcasts for effectively nothing? And why is the distracting scrolling ribbon at the top of screen? Can't they at least move it to the bottom? They really have no rethink the whole display, and they certainly should stop wasting screen space to spoil for us F1, as well as any other sports results.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. Note how much of screen space is wasted to display _NOTHING_. Morons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz0OCvBTxg8

I was going to say for HD 16:9 simulcast, but its still there. so there really is no defending that.

slorydn1
2nd April 2013, 10:55
Because of my screwy work schedule where I work every other weekend I DVR all of the sports related activities that I want to see for the weekend that I am working and I watch each thing in the order that they were broadcast. I have been pretty successful over the last several years in not finding out anything about any racing activities until I watched them, not that many people care where I live-especially about F1. NASCAR can be a little more problematic here, but the people I work with are pretty good about knowing that I just don't want to know until I have watched my DVR'd material.

Thinking back now, the last time I accidentally found out about a race outcome was when Harvick won Bristol back in 2005, and that was because one of the deputies from the oncoming shift had come in here to get some paperwork from me and said "Hey your boy Harv really put it to them at Bristol today." I was too happy to be mad, so I watched anyway.

To the OP, I feel your pain. Invest in a good DVR then you won't have to worry about that happening again. If you wait for the "replay" to be shown on TV, you gotta know that the sports news arm is gonna be hot to get results out to people that don't plan on watching the replay because if they don't, those eyes will just go elsewhere to look. Heck, with few exceptions I am starting to get to the point where even when I am not working, I still watch most races off my DVR anyway so that I can practice proper commercial abatement. I only watch Sprint Cup races live because I am using the Trackpass scanner in conjunction with the race broadcast, but if I ever stop doing that then I will never watch a race live again. I can save up to an hour or more on long races that way and not miss anything.

F1 is on way to early (or late) for me to watch live even under normal circumstances.

sonicartist
2nd July 2013, 04:42
It's the definition of spoiler. It would be different if the actual race had occurred months previously, but within 24 hours? Really? Many of us are unable to watch the races live but still want as much as the experience as possible which includes not knowing who stands on the podium before the bloody race begins. And please spare me the condescending assessment that true fans watch the races live. Many race fans avoid all sports media until they can watch the recorded race. There is no reason to show the podium at the start of the broadcast but many reasons why they shouldn't.

joeyz_f1
2nd July 2013, 04:54
I just watch all the races live. If they're not televised live, I just use the live timing on the F1 website to follow the race. Problem solved. :cool:

N. Jones
2nd July 2013, 16:05
Yeah but I like watching it. I tried live timing once, and while it was nice to get a real time "feel", seeing it with my own eyes.